Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TOO POOPED TO POP  (Read 64537 times)

FJL

Re:TOO POOPED TO POP
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2006, 06:44:30 AM »

I won't say anything again about wishing it were Dec. 8th already, but I think I'll put "California Dreamin'" into my CD player.  :)

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2006, 06:46:04 AM »

And a good morning to all of the lovely, sultry, strapping, delicate, and macho H/Ks here . (You can all choose whichever adjectives you prefer).

DP Kerry just said " ...say hello for me, and tell everyone I'm shaving."

DP Kerry says hello to everyone, and by the way, he is shaving right now.

MusicGuy

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2006, 06:49:58 AM »

And the word of the day is: SAPIENT!

Well, I can't resist.  For the word of the day :

With all of the sad and evil "hate amendments" that are on ballots all across the country, trying to disguise themselves as needing to "save marriage" or "protect families,"  I just thought it would be nice to state that .........

I am a very proud and responsible homo sapient.  

MusicGuy

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2006, 06:51:19 AM »

and now,(because Dino already has grabbed the piano bench again) I am off to the salt mines to toil and slave.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2006, 07:12:22 AM »

DR Elmore,
Glad to hear your good news about your dad. I do understand the desire to kill him and leave him by the side of the road! I took care of my dad during his last year and know how love and exasperation can exist side by side.
BK, do you remember my dad? In any case, he was always his most witty and charming self when BK was around. Funny, that. Ah, parents!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2006, 07:15:53 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful clear day out but naturally the cold front did move through and bring us typical November chill. No complaints. Once I'm out and about in it later this morning, it'll feel wonderful.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2006, 07:16:04 AM »

Strange Happenings in the Carolinas!

Associated Press

S.C. Man Gets 20 Years for Trying to Dig Up Girl's Corpse to 'Take Her Home and Have Fun'
Thursday , November 02, 2006

YORK, S.C. — A 23-year-old Clover man who police say tried to dig up the grave of a 12-year-old girl after seeing her picture in an obituary has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.

Bryan Nicholas Garcia never did find the girl's grave and told investigators he wanted to "take her home and have fun," Clover Police Lt. Randall Horn said.

Garcia pleaded guilty but mentally ill Wednesday to two charges of destruction of a graveyard. Circuit Judge John Hayes sentenced Garcia to 20 years in prison and ordered him to register as a sex offender.

Two mental evaluations found Garcia has a chemical imbalance in his brain that makes him want to have sex with corpses and children, defense attorney John Rhea said.

Garcia hasn't decided whether to appeal, Rhea said.
Garcia was arrested in May 2005 after running through a grocery store where he once worked in a full-length green coat, black sweater, camouflage gloves and a mask.

Officers searching his car found a black plastic bag, shovels, a pickax and other digging tools, prosecutor Dan Hall said.

Garcia then told police he was embarrassed because he had been trying to dig up the girl's grave, Hall said.
"He had seen the name of a little girl in the obituaries in the paper," Hall said. "He thought she was cute and he wanted to take her home."

Deputies went to the cemetery and found a hole about 3 feet deep. Garcia told them he dug at the cemetery twice, but never located the girl's body, Hall said.
Garcia, who was a National Merit Scholar at York High School, told the girl's family he was sorry. "I apologize to anyone I've hurt with my actions," he said.
Clover is about 20 miles southwest of Charlotte, N.C.

A few things come to mind:

20 years in prison for digging a hole is ridiculous!

I doubt any prison time will act as a deterrent to future criminals.

On the surface it would seem the guy is a certifiable nut! Why don't we tuck him away in a humane institution where he can at least get some treatment?

Did this guy have an adequate defense? - something our system should grant to the most egregious creep.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2006, 07:16:58 AM »

That is great news about your dad, DR Elmore.

Safe travels for DR Michael Shayne.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2006, 07:18:50 AM »

DR MUSICGUY,
don't get me started on all those "hate amendments"! Thirty years with the same partner--now that is awesome!

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2006, 07:19:19 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - GYPSY (OCR)

DVD - ROBERTA
          TREASURE PLANET
          CSI: NY, discs 1 and 3

DVR - last night's MY NAME IS EARL
          last night's THE OFFICE
          last night's SMALLVILLE
          last night's SUPERNATURAL
          UNDERCURRENT

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2006, 07:22:14 AM »

Looks like GREY GARDENS got some very positive reviews in the places I've looked. I don't know how commercial the show might be, but with reviews like that, it looks like the show will get Tony consideration regardless of its run.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2006, 07:23:12 AM »

FJL:  Herringbone had a nice write up in this morning's Oregonian.  I guess I wasn't paying attention when it played here the first time (sorry), but Llew Rhoe and I collaborated when we were both part of the Wesley Balk Institute when it came to Portland years ago.  We kicked around a couple ideas for a full-length musical but none came to fruition.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2006, 07:23:52 AM »

Looks like GREY GARDENS got some very positive reviews in the places I've looked. I don't know how commercial the show might be, but with reviews like that, it looks like the show will get Tony consideration regardless of its run.

I think Ebersole is the foregone conclusion for winner in Musical Actress already.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2006, 07:30:10 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Guess I'll try to gird my loins or, at the very least, loin my girds and jog by eight.

JMK

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2006, 07:42:17 AM »

Media:  CDs:  well right at this moment I'm listening to the Celtic fusion band Kila.  But I've been trying to catch up on OCRs that I've gotten over the past several months (years?  :o ), so this week I've listened to Billy Elliot (fair to middling, better than most of John's theater stuff), the 70s Candide (oy--those Hershy Kay re-orchestrations make me kind of cringe, sorry--usually love Hershy), Grey Gardens (repeatedly), and, in the from the sublime to the ridiculous department, Debbie Does Dallas.  DDD was pretty bad, IMHO, but I LOL'd on track 69, the Orgasm Medley, because Blanche perked her little head up and started staring at the stereo (or, stereoing at the stareo) due to all the screaming and moaning emanating from it.

DVD:  just finished Leave Her to Heaven.  My, my, my Darryl Hickman's just the tiniest bit bitter in his commentary.  And Schickel actually managed to complete one or two sentences without 25 "ums" and "uhs" in between.  ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2006, 07:44:52 AM »

I think Ebersole is the foregone conclusion for winner in Musical Actress already.

Probably so since she won all of the off-Broadway and shared off/on Broadway awards last year.

But, I won't make any predictions until we see what else opens this season. Donna Murphy supposedly had the Tony sewn up for WONDERFUL TOWN her year, too, but didn't go home with the prize.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2006, 07:48:00 AM »

[
DVD:  just finished Leave Her to Heaven.  My, my, my Darryl Hickman's just the tiniest bit bitter in his commentary.  

In that child stars interview on TCM, he also admitted that Gene Tierney was the most impossible actor he ever worked with. At least he's being consistent in his condemnation of her.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2006, 07:50:14 AM »

After all the discussion yesterday, i think i'm going to wear a clean shirt to see my brother today.  Or at least a clean sweater.

I'll alert the media.  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2006, 07:50:19 AM »

Strange Happenings in the Carolinas!

Associated Press A few things come to mind:

20 years in prison for digging a hole is ridiculous!

I doubt any prison time will act as a deterrent to future criminals.

On the surface it would seem the guy is a certifiable nut! Why don't we tuck him away in a humane institution where he can at least get some treatment?

Did this guy have an adequate defense? - something our system should grant to the most egregious creep.

der Brucer

Der Brucer - our current criminal justice system has nothing to do with deterrence, it is only about retribution.  Because mental health is so underfunded  for some the only way to get mental health treatment is in prison, being sent to a facility without a conviction isn't in the budget.  
This guy pled guilty but insane, that's great where you can do it, he will get treatment
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 07:53:37 AM by Cillaliz »

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2006, 07:52:41 AM »

I started watching that TCM child stars interview the other night...I must say that Darryl Hickman and Margaret O'Brien have both aged mighty well! They both look so young!

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2006, 07:54:49 AM »

Media Check:

CD: A couple of "Japanese Favorites" CDs

DVR: This weeks Jericho.

DVD: Episodes of of Ozzie and Harriett.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2006, 07:55:39 AM »

Media:  CDs:  well right at this moment I'm listening to the Celtic fusion band Kila.  But I've been trying to catch up on OCRs that I've gotten over the past several months (years?  :o ), so this week I've listened to Billy Elliot (fair to middling, better than most of John's theater stuff), the 70s Candide (oy--those Hershy Kay re-orchestrations make me kind of cringe, sorry--usually love Hershy), Grey Gardens (repeatedly), and, in the from the sublime to the ridiculous department, Debbie Does Dallas.  DDD was pretty bad, IMHO, but I LOL'd on track 69, the Orgasm Medley, because Blanche perked her little head up and started staring at the stereo (or, stereoing at the stareo) due to all the screaming and moaning emanating from it.

DVD:  just finished Leave Her to Heaven.  My, my, my Darryl Hickman's just the tiniest bit bitter in his commentary.  And Schickel actually managed to complete one or two sentences without 25 "ums" and "uhs" in between.  ;)

Ain't it the truth....and yes DR MATTH is correct, he states AGAIN his opinion of Miss Tierney.  And it ain't nice.

I can only say in her defense, she was doing a difficult role, she didn't have a particularly pleasant or supportive home life at the time, and probably the last thing on her mind was being pleasant to a kid she had to kill...  Hickman also stated that she was impossible to Cornel Wilde....so she was an equal opportunity bitch.

My guess is that when Zanuck wired the director that the lake scene was GREAT, he wasn't necessarily referring to Hickman....Tierney was in the scene, too.

Give me Dwayne anyday...his commentary with Michael Callan on CAT BALLOU is very funny.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2006, 07:56:27 AM »

A convicted murderer paroled from another state, killed a 16 year old girl in Indiana earlier this week.

FJL

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2006, 07:57:43 AM »

JRand - I haven't worn a media in a long time.  My shirt is at least an extra large.

JMK

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2006, 08:00:24 AM »

JRand - I haven't worn a media in a long time.  My shirt is at least an extra large.

Well, two mediums (a media) are at least an XL, don't you think?   ;D

FJL

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2006, 08:03:33 AM »

JMK - Thanks for the HERRINGBONE in Vancouver, WA alert.  Skip got to see this production in August and is very happy it's being brought back.

Cillaliz

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2006, 08:04:14 AM »

A convicted murderer paroled from another state, killed a 16 year old girl in Indiana earlier this week.

I think I'm going to pass on getting into this discussion.  I could go on about recidivism rates in murderers etc, but I won't.  ;)

What I've been wondering about lately are a string of fathers killing their wives or girlfriends (ie mother of children), the children and then themselves.  There have been a lot of them lately, at least around the midwest. The most recent I read about was a deputy sheriff who was exhibiting no symptoms of having problems. If they hate life and want to leave it, why not kill themselves and let everyone else live? This is something I just don't understand.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 08:04:35 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2006, 08:06:15 AM »

On a happier note, in 5 days the election will be over and the political ads will be off the air!

Cillaliz

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2006, 08:08:15 AM »

TOD - nothing really, I've been listening to XM Radio, On Broadway - right now it's Mary Martin "I've Gotta Crow"

Cillaliz

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2006, 08:10:53 AM »

Oh, my DVR has Grey Gardens and Hacking the Election - or whatever that new HBO doc on the voting machines is called. Haven't watched it yet
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up