Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: TOO POOPED TO POP  (Read 64531 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:TOO POOPED TO POP
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2006, 08:11:40 AM »

The title of his new book is "Homo Sapient -- Myth or Fact" in which the writer discusses his belief that all homosexuals do not fully use the right sides of their brains, and that those who do may be guilty of a bit of homphobia themselves.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 08:51:04 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2006, 08:12:03 AM »

Happy Friday to ye all!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2006, 08:12:14 AM »

I'm stopping back in before I head to Miami Universitywhere I shall terrify the students from ever pursuing a career in the performing arts.

I had a lovely morning with my dad.  We first went to the DMV for him to get his new driver's license and register his vehicles.  I sincerely doubt he will ever be behind the wheels again (oy!) but I support anything that gives him a reason to thrive.  The poor man's deaf as a post, so when the DMV clerk asked him to read the column on the right, he responded with something like "what is it, fish?"  He needs new bifocals, so his right lens is shot to hell, his left lens is fine, but I really doubted he'd get a new license.  Well, he did!  All his vehicles are now registered and we are thrilled.

Next, a trip to the pharmacy for some refills.  That went smoothly, so we went out to see how the new hospital they're building not far from his property was progressing.  The property can only go up in value because of its prime near-hospital site, so he'll make a nice bundle when it sells.  From there, the post office, and now he's safely hme and I'm off to Miami U.

The whole trip was a good time for both of us.  I hope there will be many more.  He's already thinking about renewing his license in three years when he turns 88!

DR MattH, that was Alan Tudyk last night?  I missed the cast credits.  I saw him last year in SPAMALOT, and he was wonderful (Lancelot, as I recall).
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2006, 08:14:12 AM »

I taped my must-see programs last night but watched "Survivor" and "CSI" as each aired.

I say "watched", but I did "hear" all of it....I was sorting through YEARS of back paid invoices for cable, phone, calling card, power, insurance, etc., etc.

Outside of maintaining as many tax filings as I can get my hands on, the remander will be reduced to the last two years.  I'm wading through 11 years worth of stuff!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2006, 08:19:11 AM »

Time for me to get offline and go do my Friday errands.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2006, 08:21:42 AM »

DR MattH, that was Alan Tudyk last night?  I missed the cast credits.  I saw him last year in SPAMALOT, and he was wonderful (Lancelot, as I recall).

Yes, it was Alan. I, too, saw him in SPAMALOT and was wildly impressed with him (and his physique which was gorgeous). We got to see those muscular arms several times last night. Yum!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2006, 08:26:58 AM »

Back from an early-morning jog and am already pooped but hoping to pop anyway.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2006, 08:30:38 AM »

Sources disgaree on facts - but I like the news:

TV Week
ABC Wins Wednesday; CBS's 'Criminal Minds' GainsBy James Hibberd
CBS's crime drama "Criminal Minds" continued to gain steam Wednesday night, becoming the first scripted program to top ABC's "Lost" in total viewers and matching its best adults 18 to 49 delivery, according to Nielsen Media Research. The 9 p.m. drama's 5.0 rating helped CBS take second place for the night, along with 10 p.m.'s "CSI: NY" (5.4) and 8 p.m.'s "Jericho," which matched its lowest season-to-date performance (3.0).

But the Charlotte Observer (wherever that is 8) says:

Critics stumped -- `Criminal Minds' no loser
Up against the popular `Lost,' CBS drama steadily gaining viewers
SCOTT COLLINS
Los Angeles Times

HOLLYWOOD - CBS's "Criminal Minds" is a gory, creepy, serial-killer show. It's dissed by critics as a stapled-together knockoff of the network's many other crime dramas. Its mirth-free tone is epitomized by Jason Gideon, the grumpy, taciturn FBI profiler played by Mandy Patinkin. And it's up against the ultimate water-cooler show at 9 p.m. Wednesdays, ABC's mythologically complex "Lost."

Yup, conventional wisdom would dictate that "Criminal Minds," in its second season, should be moldering on TV's rubbish heap.

So why is the series growing into a bona-fide hit that last week delivered its most-watched episode, with 16.8 million total viewers, just a shade behind the still-formidable "Lost" (17.1 million), according to Nielsen Media Research?

GO MANDY!

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2006, 08:32:54 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  Thanks to my wussburgering last night, I'm much refreshed and back at work.  It's a catch-up day at my desk before an all information-waitressing day tomorrow.

TOD - nothing in particular at the moment, but last night I had DH Richard move a bunch of chick flicks to the top of our Netflix list.  He's off tomorrow for his week at Nashotah House, so I'll watch them while he's gone.

Right now, courtesy of my iPod, Bryn Terfel is singing Welsh in my ears.

DR Elmore - have fun at Miami U (the campus should be in its autumn splendor today) and don't scare those poor preppies too much!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2006, 08:34:21 AM »

I started watching that TCM child stars interview the other night...I must say that Darryl Hickman and Margaret O'Brien have both aged mighty well! They both look so young!

Margo Channing: Bill's thirty-two. He looks thirty-two. He looked it five years ago, he'll look it twenty years from now. I hate men.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2006, 08:35:32 AM »

Der Brucer - our current criminal justice system has nothing to do with deterrence, it is only about retribution.

Well that ain't the way it's 'posed to be!

Seriously, is the fault:

DA's reacting to perceived public opinion?
Vengeful jurors?
Reprehensible Judges>

(We'll give incompetent defense a pass, for now).

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2006, 08:43:12 AM »

Der Brucer ... Because mental health is so underfunded  for some the only way to get mental health treatment is in prison, being sent to a facility without a conviction isn't in the budget.  
This guy pled guilty but insane, that's great where you can do it, he will get treatment

Are you sure? There was a recent case that caused a lot of commotion over at "The Factor" where the judge sent the convicted sex-offender out on probation because he would not receive treatment in prison. (The state appealed, the prison system agreed to provide treatment, and the judge changed his sentence to imprisonment).

der Brucer

PS It also seems that someone who is truly mentally ill should be treated in a very different environment than the usual prison. (And yes, I'd pay more taxes to make it so!)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2006, 08:43:28 AM »

DR FJL - clothing sizes are just a state of mind.  It says XL in my sweaters....but my mind still says Media.

Hurray DR CILLA LIZ....yes only five more days of Political Ads....thanks for reminding me.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2006, 08:44:26 AM »

Margo Channing: Bill's thirty-two. He looks thirty-two. He looked it five years ago, he'll look it twenty years from now. I hate men.

And then she throws a spoon, which I always thought was a little homage to that song from KISS ME KATE....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2006, 09:33:20 AM »

I shall now be on my way to Teddy and haircut, then to Vinnie's and mix, then to rehearsal and rehearse, then to opening night and viewing a play.  After which, I shall return.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2006, 09:42:02 AM »

MR BK - there's a "buy" in your great book-signing email that should be a "but."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2006, 09:42:38 AM »

What would a play titled INTIMATE APPAREL be about, I wonder?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: November 03, 2006, 09:47:06 AM »

...ummmm...how about a person who suggests proper clothing for people to wear?

(i.e., "Whenever he felt the compulsion, he would approach the clueless and intimate apparel that would be more flattering on them...")

The "Think Pink" song from "Funny Face" is sort of what the songs would be like if it were to be musicalized.

For instance, "Nice Tie":

[Patter}
"Nice tie"
"'scuse me?
"Nice tie"
"No tie!"
"Oh! My!"
"Must tie"
"But Why"....and so forth....intimating, as it were, a piece of apparel that SHOULD be on the person's body at the time.

"Nice Bra", for example, for those who actually need one.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 09:56:00 AM by Ron Pulliam »

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #78 on: November 03, 2006, 09:47:40 AM »

Lingering in the Lingerie?
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2006, 09:48:04 AM »

MR BK - there's a "buy" in your great book-signing email that should be a "but."

Perhaps it's a marketing tool...a subliminal "suggestion," as it were....

« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 09:51:02 AM by Ron Pulliam »

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2006, 09:56:07 AM »

Oh, I oughta print this one out & take it to school with me to show the kids I work with.

Nov 2, 11:21 PM EST
Teen Points BB Pistol at the Wrong Car

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) -- A teenager pointed his BB pistol at the wrong car. The car stopped and the two men inside pulled out their real .40-caliber Glock handguns. They were undercover police driving an unmarked car.

They ordered Ryon Shelton, 15, of Cedar Rapids, to drop his gun, police said.

"They thought it was a real gun," police Lt. Kenneth Washburn said. "He dropped the gun and attempted to run and was apprehended."

Shelton told officers he was "just playing around" and trying to scare people during the Halloween night incident, police said.

He was cited for assault while displaying a dangerous weapon and released to relatives, police said.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FAKE_HANDGUN?SITE=OHRAV&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Ben

« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2006, 10:00:03 AM »

This might answer your question, JR.

Intimate Apparel

I saw the show when it played in New York. It was part of Roundabout's Off-Broadway season a couple of years ago. I thought it was quite good.

Here is a more full synopsis. The blurb is more a press release announcing the show. It just mentions in passing the plot.

Imagine yourself an African-American woman in 1905 when the cut and color of one’s dress – and, of course, skin – determined whom one could and could not marry, sleep with, even talk to in public. Esther, a black seamstress, lives in a boarding house for women and sews intimate apparel for clients who range from wealthy white patrons to prostitutes. Her plan is to find the right man and use the money she’s saved to open a beauty parlor where black women will be treated as royally as the white women she sews for. The Hasidic shopkeeper from whom she buys cloth holds her heart and she his, but the impossibility of the match is obvious to them both. The other man is George, a lonesome Caribbean man with whom she corresponds. Will her dreams come true? Or must she refashion her dreams and make them anew from the whole cloth of her life’s experiences? An engaging and moving work, Intimate Apparel is the most produced play in American regional theatre during the last two years. Why? Nottage's play is filled with sharp dialogue, an attractive historic setting, keen insights into class and race relations, and a strong, sympathetic heroine.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 10:09:37 AM by Ben »

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2006, 10:03:53 AM »

Nice. I looked it up at the Samuel French site & while they have it, they didn't have a synopsis.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 10:04:09 AM by singingnymph »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2006, 10:14:38 AM »

Thanks, DR BEN....hmmm...interesting.

Of course, it could have been called HOME MADE UNDERPANTS!

Cillaliz

« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2006, 10:34:16 AM »

Well that ain't the way it's 'posed to be!

Seriously, is the fault:

DA's reacting to perceived public opinion?
Vengeful jurors?
Reprehensible Judges>

(We'll give incompetent defense a pass, for now).

der Brucer

Actually you can't give incompetent defense a pass.  Being a defense lawyer, nothing bothers me more.  We are the ones who stand between the government and the citizens accused of crime. If you don't want to do it right, get another job.

I don't know the case.  I can tell you that the mood in the country and in most prosecution offices - well at least federal - is to get everyone you can with them most serious offense you can and give them the most time you can.  

There are very good prosecutors out there who use reason and common sense and understand that although someone can be techincally guilty of an offense, their circumstances make that particular case different from other cases. But, that sensibility is becoming the exception rather than the rule, which it seemed to be when I started doing this 20 years ago.  This is important because there has been a shift away from giving the discretion at sentencing to a judge and toward giving that power to prosecutors through the way the charge an offense.  If an offense is charged that has a minimum of some sort and a person is technically guilty of it - there is nothing a judge can do, and absent winning an acquittal, nothing a defense lawyer can do either.  

Now - I know I am generalizing, but this is my view. Many prosecutors today are young. They have never had a real person as a client, (a victim isn't a client, it's a witness, so they don't have the same relationship and often only see them maybe once or twice - not at all like TV) so they tend to not make the human connection between the names on the paper and the person they have the power to give another chance to or send away for essentially the rest of his or her life and the family members, community members etc who will be effected by whatever happens to that person. Many view it more as a game of wits between lawyers. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "You got me this time, but I'll win the next one"

As far as the insanity issue, in many jurisdictions, you can be very mentally ill and not be considered insane.  To be insane you have to not know the difference between right and wrong and not be able to conform your behavior to those standards.  And if you know what a judge does, what a prosecutor does, what a defense lawyer does and what you are accused of - you are considered competent. Many who probably are insane are medicated by the time of trial and jurors don't believe it because the person seems quite normal sitting in the court room.

The problem with the insane label or the incompetent label is that you can end up being locked in a mental health facility for a much longer period of time than you would be if you simply went to prison on the charge.

I don't know if that answers your question.  I guess the short answer is in my opinion the criminal justice system has lost a lot of humanity and in cases, such as the one you pointed out, may be causing more harm than doing good.  

Of course there are people who do truly reprehensible things on purpose etc but those are easy cases to understand the penalties imposed, I'm not talking about those.

Cillaliz

« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2006, 10:36:08 AM »

Are you sure? There was a recent case that caused a lot of commotion over at "The Factor" where the judge sent the convicted sex-offender out on probation because he would not receive treatment in prison. (The state appealed, the prison system agreed to provide treatment, and the judge changed his sentence to imprisonment).

der Brucer

PS It also seems that someone who is truly mentally ill should be treated in a very different environment than the usual prison. (And yes, I'd pay more taxes to make it so!)

Then perhaps you need to talk to your elected officials and ask them to do that!

Cillaliz

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2006, 10:38:25 AM »

der Brucer

There are very few prison facilities that provide sex offender treatment.  Last I knew there is only one in the federal system, don't know if every state has that type of treatment or not

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2006, 10:39:08 AM »

OK, Enough of this serious talk, I'll talk more about it via email if you want to, but I don't think everyone wants to talk about this all day

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2006, 10:43:37 AM »

I want  to talk about FOOD!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2006, 10:43:58 AM »

Food, glorious food!

Lunch is one hour away....and I'm HONGRY!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up