Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ  (Read 53997 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2006, 08:34:04 AM »

Happy 5th, you Hainsie/Kimlets!
Time to make some vodka gimlets!

Thanks for giving virtual birth to HHW, BK! Although you didn't invent the internet, at least you invented this site, and what a fun one it is, too!

I didn't invent the Internet?  I hate when that happens.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2006, 08:36:55 AM »

Can someone please enlighten me - where in tarnation is dear reader Jose?  Did he go off in a huff - did I miss that?  Or is this just another of his many sabbaticals.  And where is Jed and Ann?  Most unseemly.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2006, 08:40:40 AM »

Remember, remember,
The NINTH of November!
~Meg B, of Central California~
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
A little song, a little dance,
a little seltzer down your pants.
http://madmistressmeg.spreadshirt.com

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2006, 08:42:41 AM »

But, today's the 10th. Oh, my head hurts. It's too early in the morning for this.
Ok, nevermind. Somehow, I was able to wrap my tiny mind around it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 08:44:07 AM by singingnymph »

Ben

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2006, 08:44:01 AM »

Jose hasn't left. He's extremely busy with rehearsals for She Loves Me at Arena Stage in Washington. Don't know about Jed and Ann.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2006, 08:52:07 AM »

We're ALL extremely busy, are we not?  And yet I see wonderful postings from said busy people.  I shall bitch-slap Jose from here to eternity and hell and back, and not only that, I shall blame Jose.

Yes, singingnymph - this site debuted on the ninth of November, which was on a Friday back in 2001.  I debated whether to do the anniversary yesterday or today, then forgot that it WAS our anniversary when I wrote yesterday's notes, but it still worked out fine.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2006, 08:52:36 AM »

Hahaha.... Apparently some idiots tried to mug David Copperfield
(in front of his own building) earlier this year.
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/11/10/david_copperfield_tr.html

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2006, 09:28:10 AM »

I reek of garlic.  I ate at an Eyetalian jernt last night (had yummilicious spaghetti and meatballs), and they served us their special garlic breadsticks - more like garlic bread, and they were incredibly incredible and incredibly garlic-ridden.  Perhaps I'll sweat some of it out whilst jogging.

FJL

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2006, 09:37:01 AM »

Remember Totie Fields' famous garlic diet?  Don't change anything you eat, just eat plenty of garlic.  You don't actually lose weight, but you look thinner from a distance.

singingnymph

• We have movie sign!
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2006, 09:37:51 AM »

I want this.
Not that I'll get it, but anyhoo. Eddie is fabulous.
https://www.eddieizzard.com/thingie_things/tomtom/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 09:38:41 AM by singingnymph »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2006, 09:50:23 AM »

Hello all!  

Gee, HHW's anniversary is the same day as my Mom's birthday--two reasons to celebrate!   ;D

Poor Mom didn't get a very good Birthday present.  She fell last Friday and broke a rib.  We spent hours at the hospital and I've been frantic with worry about her.  

We go back to the doctor today.   A new doctor, I might add.  I duked it out with Humana and had her changed to a new center.

I hope that everyone here is doing well.  I've missed you.

~~~VIBES FOR DANISE'S MOTHER!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2006, 09:51:07 AM »

Happy 5th, you Hainsie/Kimlets!
Time to make some vodka gimlets!

Maybe someone could invent a Kimlet Gimlet! ;)

« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 09:58:04 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2006, 10:02:15 AM »

In my CD player:  Act two of I Sing with some talented people, including the familiarly named Leslie Kritzer. :) After that will be the Kritzerland release, "Simply Sondheim - A 75th Birthday Salute."

In my VCR/DVR:  tapes/DVR harddrive to record tonight's shows.  I also have last week's Thursday's show to watch.

In my DVD player:  Netflix movies that I haven't taken the time to watch. ::)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2006, 10:08:22 AM »

Yesterday, I visited my doctor for a flu shot and he ordered some routine fasting blood testing, which I planned to do this morning and then meet a friend for breakfast.  The rest of the day yesterday I spent winding down after a very hectic several weeks and by 9:30pm could hardly stay awake, so I went to bed.  The phone woke me about 10:45 - my mother-in-law's neighbor telling me MiL was sick and what should she do?  Well, Richard is still in Wisconsin and I'm quite hesitant to assume responsibility for his mother, so I called his older brother and his daughter and they met the ambulance at the hospital.  

Grandma was admitted about 5am; I was there by 7:30, stayed until the doctor came and left, then I went downstairs to have my test, and am now home tanking up on coffee.  Our doctor seems to think MiL's problem is not life-threatening, which is good, but she'll be in the hospital for a few days.  

DR Ginny, tell Harriet that these bids for attention will kill her before her actual 90th birthday!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2006, 10:10:26 AM »

Wow, 5 years of HHW! And I have been fortunate to have been here for about 4 and 1/2 years of it!!

MBarnum

« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2006, 10:13:01 AM »

Media Check:

DVD:
The new Japanese language, English subtitled version of GOJIRA TAI MOSURA (GODZILLA VS MOTHRA; 1964) and a Japanese meladrama from 1958 titled HIBARI'S TALE OF PATHOS.

CD:
Sountrack to the Punjabi film ASA NU MAAN WATNA DA

DVR:
Lots of stuff

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2006, 10:13:15 AM »

Hello all!  

Gee, HHW's anniversary is the same day as my Mom's birthday--two reasons to celebrate!   ;D

Poor Mom didn't get a very good Birthday present.  She fell last Friday and broke a rib.  We spent hours at the hospital and I've been frantic with worry about her.  

We go back to the doctor today.   A new doctor, I might add.  I duked it out with Humana and had her changed to a new center.

I hope that everyone here is doing well.  I've missed you.  

Thank you ever so much for the lovely photo CD's DR TomovOz!  I have to ask what kind of camera did you use?  The pictures are wonderful!  

I am going to use some of them as screen savers.  

DR Danise, I've been wondering how you are!  It's so good to see your post today.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2006, 10:15:08 AM »

Can someone please enlighten me - where in tarnation is dear reader Jose?  Did he go off in a huff - did I miss that?  Or is this just another of his many sabbaticals.  And where is Jed and Ann?  Most unseemly.

I miss DRs Jed and Ann quite a lot, but I know no reason for their absence.  As to DR Jose, it was my impression that he would be back amongst us.  I hope to see him on Monday.

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2006, 10:15:35 AM »

Good vibes for DR Danise's mother. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2006, 10:18:30 AM »

In my CD player:  Act two of I Sing with some talented people, including the familiarly named Leslie Kritzer. :) After that will be the Kritzerland release, "Simply Sondheim - A 75th Birthday Salute."

In my VCR/DVR:  tapes/DVR harddrive to record tonight's shows.  I also have last week's Thursday's show to watch.

In my DVD player:  Netflix movies that I haven't taken the time to watch. ::)

I love I SING and I think Eli is quite talented.  He and the producer asked me to score the show, but it ended up Off-Broadway with three players and they really didn't need me.  I remember how much I enjoyed the first reading of the show.  The cast in the Off-Broadway production was wonderful.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2006, 10:19:49 AM »

Back from Ye Olde Jog - much easier today, thank goodness.  It's quite beautiful outside.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2006, 10:19:50 AM »

My frenzy is over; I have major Brain surgery to perform.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2006, 10:30:39 AM »

Is Pogue's Underpants still showing?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2006, 10:30:59 AM »

Despite the jog, I still reek of garlic.

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2006, 10:34:29 AM »

I was also wondering where DR Jose had gone. :(

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2006, 10:36:19 AM »

DR MattH that is interesting news about MEN IN TREES. I'm assuming it is still on tonight though, right?

I think that if SIX DEGREES could not survive after UGLY BETTY, and especially after GREY'S ANATOMY then it could probably not survive anywhere.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #86 on: November 10, 2006, 11:03:30 AM »

I was going to post a link to the annual Rehoboth Beach Independent Film Festival's schedule, but it's a pdf file and jammed up our computer, so I think posting a link would be rude.

But the festival is going on this weekend.

So much for living in a podunk backwater.   :o

Actually, the computer doesn't "jam up" it's just a big job for a little fellow. The link is a 67 Page graphic-intensive .pdf file that needs to be downloaded to our Adobe Reader via a dial-up link - you click on the link then go do lunch! (Once the job is done, I can save the file to our HD and then gain ready access.

A note of the Festival:

An estimated 16,000 people attended the Rehoboth Beach Film Society's annual festival last year, a number which is expected to be matched or exceeded this year.

More than 100 films from 29 countries will be presented, which is more than twice as many as were screened at the inaugural festival. A number of directors and producers will be on hand to answer questions from audiences following screenings.

In addition to the opening and closing galas, a number of activities will occur in conjunction with the festival, including wine and beer tastings, massage services, raffles and a student film focus series.

Four of the movies are Sundance Film Festival award winners: "A Silent Love," about a study of relationships facing language barriers; "Last Life in the Universe," in which a depressed man learns to embrace life; "Love in Thoughts," about teenage love; and "Touch of Pink," which envisions the ghost of Cary Grant helping a gay man "straighten up" for his mother.

Among the documentaries being presented are "American Beer" and "Beauty Academy of Kabul." "American Beer" follows the exploits of five beer-loving New Yorkers who crossed the country in 2002 to visit microbreweries including coastal Sussex County's own Dogfish Head. "Beauty Academy of Kabul" chronicles the story of three Afghani women who fled to America to avoid the Taliban, but returned in 2002 to open Kabul's first beauty school. The film is being dedicated to former Rehoboth Beach Film Society board member Lori Phillips, who died in April.

der Brucer

Now I need to wrestle with some choices - a tough job for someone who generally avoids films with sub-titles!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #87 on: November 10, 2006, 11:21:31 AM »

Film Festival Option #1

20 CENTIMETERS

An Almodóvarian musical with the flair and attitude of The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and the catchy music of Queen, Madonna and Dusty Springfield; this Spanish confection is one of the most inventive and entertaining movies of the year.

Enter the world of Marieta/Adolfo (Mónica Cervera)—a narcoleptic, pre-op transsexual prostitute who longs to get rid of eight inches of equipment that separates her from being the glamorous person she longs to be.

When she accidentally falls asleep, usually during the most inopportune moments, Marieta’s dreams become lavish and colorful musical numbers, where—as a “real woman”—she can sing in Spanish and English.

Surrounded by her “family,” which includes Ice Box (Rossy de Palma of Almodóvar fame) and Tomás, an aspiring cellist who happens to be a dwarf, Marieta finds support among her chaotic and often comical street life. But when she meets a man known only as “the fruit stocker,” (the hunky Spanish pop singer Pablo Puyol) whose buttocks are compared to a “ripe peach,” it is love at first sight and spunky Marieta is caught between a rock and a hard place: true love or her true self. Shot in eye-popping Cinemascope and taking inspiration from Bob Fosse, Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers and even pop diva Madonna, director Ramón Salazar has crafted a film that will leave you humming as you exit the theater and contemplating your next costume for Halloween.

Dir. Ramón Salazar, 2005, Spain, 35mm,113 minutes.
In Spanish with English subtitles.

Probably isn't boring :)

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: November 10, 2006, 11:25:51 AM »

I shall now be on my way to LACC for a long rehearsal.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #89 on: November 10, 2006, 11:27:34 AM »

Film Festival - Canine Options:

THE CAVE OF THE YELLOW DOG

"The German-Mongolian co-production’s spare storytelling…
delivers an affectionate but clear-eyed portrait
of the powerful connection between humans and animals living close to the earth. This is a film that is uplifting and spiritual without resorting to sappiness or dogma.”
—Hollywood Reporter

A Mongolian nomad family find themselves in disagreement when the oldest daughter, Nansal, finds a small dog and brings it home. Believing that it is responsible for attacking his sheep, her father refuses to allow her to keep it. When the family moves on, Nansal is left with the dilemma of whether to defy her father or take Zochor (or ‘Spot’ in English) with them. Oscar- nominated director Byambasuren’s follow up to the hugely successful The Story of the Weeping Camel is a thought provoking mix of documentary and drama.

Featuring a real life family and following much of their daily existence, this is combined with a narrative structure that acts as a framework for the film. The naturalistic pace reflects the quiet, often uneventful world that the family inhabits but this underlines a still beauty that is realized throughout. In the spirit of early Robert Flaherty films, The Cave of the Yellow Dog could be considered a documentary that is posing as fiction, or fiction in the guise of documentary.

Either way, the film is an absolute gem that is sure to
delight audiences.

Dir. Byambasuren Davaa, 2006, Germany & Mongolia,
35mm, 93 minutes. In Mongolian with English subtitles.

or

Lassie

“Lassie has come home again to teach another generation about loyalty, determination and love.” —Reuters

When Yorkshire coalminer Sam Carraclough loses his
job during the 1930s depression, he and his supportive
wife are left with no option but to start selling their
possessions. The last straw for their young son is the
heart wrenching sale of the family’s beloved rough collie
to a wealthy Scottish Duke (Peter O’Toole, no less), who
lives a few miles away. After several attempts to escape
from under the nose of the Duke’s cruel kennelman, Lassie is finally taken up to Scotland, where she stays cooped up until the opportunity arises for her to bolt once again.

This time, however, the journey home is a lot more
adventurous…

Shot amid the lush countryside of Scotland, Ireland and
the Isle of Man, Charles Sturridge’s adaptation addresses many of Knight’s original concerns, especially that of Britain’s class structure (hence the opening juxtaposition of wealthy red-coated huntsmen seen tracking a fox through the lead characters’ poor, working-class village).

With top notch performances, excellent cinematography
and, despite the swooning strings, it’s not too sentimental.

However, you might still wish to take a hanky with you—
just in case.
Dir, Charles Sturridge, 2006, US/Ireland, 100 mins.

der Brucer

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up