Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DANCING LADIES AND LEAPING LORDS  (Read 20626 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:DANCING LADIES AND LEAPING LORDS
« Reply #120 on: December 23, 2003, 05:47:06 PM »

A memorable Christmas story.

About ten years ago, Gord and I visited his folks in St. Pete's, Florida. It was a dreary and chilly Christmas day, and we decided to take a walk while G's parents waited by the phone. The downtown streets were deserted, and in our jackets we headed to the ritzy Vinoy Hotel, bought and divided a NY Times, and strolled through the empty grounds. I was absorbed in the entertainment section, quite a few paces behind Gord, when I sank - literally. I had stepped over the edge of the pool and gone right down into the deep end of the water. Soaked NY Times in hand, I popped to the surface, emerged drenched but intact, and caught up to Gord who hadn't a clue about what had just taken place. A dripping me and a numb Gord retraced our steps, past the pool and gardens, through the hotel lobby, and out the front doors, where we caught a cab.

This is actually a favorite Christmas story because when I told it back home it elicited much mirth, but never from Gord. He appeared sombre over my close call in the deep end of the Vinoy pool on Christmas day.  
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 05:50:45 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #121 on: December 23, 2003, 06:00:09 PM »

Well pardon my lack of chivalry, but I hadn't yet officially wished all of our natally celebrating boys...

a very large and kimletish...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY......YEA !!

there, now I don't feel quite such a louse.

MusicGuy

« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2003, 06:05:40 PM »

You have no idea how I hate to have to ask this question here,  but......here goes;

I have used a few of the devices on the "post" page, such as the "glow" and moving "marquee" features.  I do it by highlighting a word or section, and then clicking on the icon for glow or marquee.

But when I highlight a section and then click on the "font size" icon, nothing happens.  I don't see anywhere to specify a larger font size, and when I preview it it just has extra command words right along with my original text.

In other words,  I can't successfully seem to make anything bigger.  Even though, god knows, I get enough spam email offering to make everything bigger!

Help?? ???   ???   :o

MusicGuy

« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2003, 06:06:55 PM »

And now, I must think about foodstuffs for tonight....

I have no idea !

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2003, 06:31:37 PM »

So you are the one forwarding that spam MusicGuy! I still need proof that it works before I invest anthing. I have just started getting some unsolicited garbage which states that I signed up for such with my email address. I actually get very little spam.
I don't even try for "smiley faces" in posts. I have enough trouble proofreading without trying anything remotely complicated.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2003, 06:32:21 PM »

I have used a few of the devices on the "post" page, such as the "glow" and moving "marquee" features.  I do it by highlighting a word or section, and then clicking on the icon for glow or marquee.

But when I highlight a section and then click on the "font size" icon, nothing happens.  I don't see anywhere to specify a larger font size, and when I preview it it just has extra command words right along with my original text.

MusicGuy, I just change the number next to the size, and all seems to work. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2003, 06:38:20 PM »

Good story Dan. My wandered from there to a scene in "Gods and Monsters". It is a Christmas and one should have a few Christmas or other delights running though their mind.
td: Are you referring to the spam emails or to the font size.?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2003, 06:43:40 PM »

I'm referring to the FONT SIZE, silly!

I don't get spam. . .I use MailWasher, freeware available at www.mailwasher.net.

Michael

« Reply #128 on: December 23, 2003, 06:49:31 PM »

I wish I had a memorable Christmas, but since I am Christmasly challenge I do not have one to offer. But I have seen more Christmas themed movies,andChristmas TV Specials and know more Christmas Carols/Songs than I have Chanukah related. One day I hope I will be able to relate.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #129 on: December 23, 2003, 06:49:46 PM »

DR DANISE what lovely animations in your post!  

The Wonderful World of Danise in living color at HHW!

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve day and MR BK has promised that his guests will be posting during the party.....it will be almost like being there!

I think we should all put on our party hats and sit near our computers!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #130 on: December 23, 2003, 06:49:59 PM »

I'm referring to the FONT SIZE, silly!

I don't get spam. . .I use MailWasher, freeware available at www.mailwasher.net.

I recommend it too
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #131 on: December 23, 2003, 06:53:16 PM »

The other day I was asking about Queen Size Beds. Today i started shopping for them. Anyone have a perference for Serta and others. Hard to chose my lying on them for a minute or two.
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #132 on: December 23, 2003, 06:57:56 PM »

I recommend it too

hmmm. . .what was that old commercial:  "Manly, yes, but I like it, too."

Tomovoz

« Reply #133 on: December 23, 2003, 06:58:44 PM »

Thanks guys. I have just installed the washing machine. I should now have beautiful clean spam.
James Thurber 1957

Andrea

« Reply #134 on: December 23, 2003, 07:15:34 PM »

Ah.. and because I think I forgot to do so..

happy birthday, les boys

Jennifer

« Reply #135 on: December 23, 2003, 07:21:36 PM »

DR Danise: I love that harem smiley. Do tell where you found it please.

Jennifer

« Reply #136 on: December 23, 2003, 07:25:19 PM »

Hey there are a couple of ways to increase font size. One is using the "WYSIWYG" button.

And the other is what the other DRs said, they simply change the number on the font size (by simply changing the 2 to a larger number where it says <size=2>.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #137 on: December 23, 2003, 07:53:44 PM »

Back from seeing THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING, and it is quite beautifully made, emotionally very moving if you got at all involved with the previous two chapters (I cried on three separate occasions during the film), and deserving of all the praise and business it's received thus far.

If I had a slight criticism, it was a lulling first hour where I found myself having to jolt myself awake two or three times. Things heat up immensely after that, but I did find the first 45 minutes a trifle slow.

Glad to be here reading all these lovely posts.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: December 23, 2003, 07:59:41 PM »

I had planned to go see COLD MOUNTAIN on Saturday, but I have a party that night (early New Year's/birthday party combination that a friend is throwing for himself), so it may be Sunday or Monday before I can make it to the theater to see it.

There were probably a half dozen previews before LOTR: TROTK, and honestly there was not a SINGLE film that I had the least interest in seeing. Some were advertising films coming this summer and others were for this spring, but NONE of them held any interest for me.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 08:01:11 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2003, 08:42:41 PM »

Well, off to bed now. Looking forward to a relaxing Christmas Eve: already have the DVD selected for it: TO LIVE AND DIE IN L.A. Isn't that a cheery and holiday-spirited movie?  ;D
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 08:43:39 PM by Matt H. »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2003, 08:43:49 PM »

So you are the one forwarding that spam MusicGuy! I still need proof that it works before I invest anthing. I have just started getting some unsolicited garbage which states that I signed up for such with my email address. I actually get very little spam....

Recently I've started getting sexually explicit e-mail that says this exact same thing!  I NEVER signed up for this sort of thing (well, not with my REGULAR e-mail address  ::) ) and CERTAINLY NOT the kind of stuff that I've been getting  :o !
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 08:44:45 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #141 on: December 23, 2003, 09:06:08 PM »

Our Common link is HHW George, Now we really know what BK does for a living.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: December 23, 2003, 09:08:38 PM »

It had to happen.  One of our Christmas Tree ornaments has broken.

:'(

It's my own danged fault.  I turned the wrong way, into the tree instead of away, and down the glass ball fell.  Of course, it was an ornament from the Grand Canyon.

:'( :'(

The good news is that it wasn't one of the Grand Canyon bells, which I much prefer.  And at least it was my doing, and not the dogs, which could have incurred much wrath.

But still...

:'( :'( :'(
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2003, 09:19:12 PM »

I just realized that I hadn't responded to the Topic of the Day, yet :o :  My favorite Christmas memories of Christmases past.  Both weren't actually ON Christmas days, but in December.

In 1995, I went with a local theater group on my first, and so far only, trip to New York.  We were there from December 26th through January 1st.  It was fabulous!  :D  I saw Victor/Victoria with Julie Andrews; Sunset Boulevard with Betty Buckley; Swinging On a Star:  The Johnny Burke Musical; and Robeson, a one-man (well, one actor and one piano player) show with Avery Brooks telling and singing the life story of Paul Robeson.

Several of us also got to be at a taping of "Regis and Kathy Lee" (my forehead was on national television!).  Kathy Lee was on vacation but Joy Philbin was Regis' co-host.  And I spent over $500 on records and CDs...including the LONDON cast recordings of 1776 and Children of Eden which I had never heard of (I should've gone to Footlight first...didn't know about it until too late.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2003, 09:24:02 PM »

The other memorable trip during December was two years ago.  My sister, my niece and I went to London (also first and so far only time).  We saw Starlight Express; the first two acts of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (had to leave early) with Frances O'Connor, Brendan Fraser (yum) and Ned Beatty; and Kiss Me, Kate with the WSMA Brent Barrett (yum and double yum!) and Marin Mazie!

I didn't spend as much money in London as I did in New York, but I got the Japanese cast recordings to Disney's Beauty and the Beast and ALW's The Phantom of the Opera as well as the London cast recording of Sherlock Holmes and the original (I don't know where) cast recording of A Saint She Ain't as well as several others.  Great recordings, all!

I took a lot of pictures in both New York and London.  Two of my favorites in New York were of Julie Andrews coming out the stage door of V/V with a baseball cap that had the logo of the recently (in 1995) not-transferred-to-Broadway production of Company and a picture of Betty Buckley after SB with all of the kids from the theater group around her.

In London, I was able to get pictures and autographs of Marin Mazzie, Nancy Anderson, Michael Berresse and Nicolas Colicos (he's real attractive up close)!  The only sad part was that the WSMA Brent Barrett didn't come out the stage door (if out of the theater at all) before I had to leave.  :'(

Those were my two most memorable Christmases.  
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003, 09:24:41 PM by George »

Jason

« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2003, 09:26:14 PM »

Hey, y'all! Howdy from Kentucky! I got home just fine and I have supped on homemade chicken with noodles, snickerdoodle cookies and Krispy Kreme donuts. YUM.

This Christmas may prove to be one of the more memorable as my brother--oh, boy my brother--has the flu. We're still unsure as to whether he will be joining us at my grandparents' house on Thursday...if he's still sick, my dad will stay here with him and mom and I will go to Lexington for the day to see the g-rents. :-\

George

« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2003, 09:28:03 PM »

I must be off so I'll say goodnight now:  "Goodnight Now!"

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2003, 09:32:57 PM »

Happy Chirstmas Jason. Is there such a thing as a "Kentucky Bluebird" or it just a Hal David invention? (Message To Michael/Martha)
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2003, 09:37:38 PM »

Good night George. Stay away from the Washington cow which has made the news broadcasts in OZ.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2003, 09:40:44 PM »

Man, I'm exhausted.  I managed to get out of work by five-thirty, did the last of my marketing, picked up the laundry, and have been making ready ever since.  I'll do a bit of cooking in a little while, just a little while.  Meanwhile, I am so enamored of all these excellent posts.  What care I if there are errant and truant when we have such posts as these.  I care not.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up