Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: CHRISTMAS BABBLE ON  (Read 36061 times)

Tomovoz

Re:CHRISTMAS BABBLE ON
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2003, 08:10:56 PM »

Thanks Matt. I only ever remember that it is not "Somewhere In Time".
td: Wasn't my post 106 enough of a hint?
Posts that cross in the ether! Thanks td.
Oh Well! Back to my sordid life. I wish. A fun movie.
I am listening to the soundtrack of "The Legend Of 1900". Beautiful movie which has been sadly neglected.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2003, 08:16:23 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Diane

« Reply #121 on: December 25, 2003, 08:19:27 PM »

Had a wonderful day at my parents house on Long Island!
Presents:
A feather Bed
Books (a dream dictionary, Reading Loilita In Tehran, and Year Of Wonder)
Road To Perdition on VHS
Socks
Burt's Bee's Stuff
Perfume
Lots of Chocolate
Slippers
Fleece Blanket with frogs all over it (I love frogs!)
a funny little doll that talks called Mr. Wonderful
and $50

It's been a great day :D

Hope everyone got everything they wanted!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Christmas To All And To All A Good Night![/move]
I LOVE A Piano....

td

• td
« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2003, 08:25:38 PM »

td: Wasn't my post 106 enough of a hint?
Posts that cross in the ether! Thanks td.

Is that anything like Rupert Holmes' "Letters that Cross in the Mail?"

I still think that your *hint* is hysterically funny, in a weird sort of way.

We must be dealing with the younger generation. . .some of the dear readers have never heard of those actors/actresses who appeared in the film in question. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2003, 08:27:15 PM »

Dear esteemed and celebratory BK --

It sounds like a nice rainy, cozy day in the Valley of San Fernando....just the thing to watch movies and enjoy your home.

DR Kerry and I just pulled out Valley Of The Dolls a couple of days ago and watched.  Such over the top fun!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: December 25, 2003, 08:29:48 PM »

Very nice pics, BK!

And good to hear about everyone's happy holidays.

Der Brucer and I spent our day with his daughter and her family.  The lads were very loud, yelling the entire time.  Little William, aged 3, was very loud.  His older brother Alex, aged 6, was very loud.  Their father, Robby, was very loud.  For that matter, their mother, Tarlie, was very loud.  It is a very loud household.

Apparently there is a competition that takes place every year, amongst the parents Robby and Tarlie associate with, to see which parents can buy their kids the most and most expensive toys.  If Tarlie and Robby hadn't bought the boys four-wheelers, they'd have been outspent by their relatives and friends!

Four-wheelers?  For a six and a three-year-old?  At least they also bought the boys helmets, but what happened to the days when a boy would be very happy to get a bicycle?  Or a sled?  Or a puppy?  No, those days are over.  We are now in an age when preschoolers know how to change the oil.  I'm just hoping the two can make it through elementary school without a DUI on their records.  (Good news there, at least: the parents don't drink, so the bad influence will have to come from their peers.)

I'm going to have to wait several weeks for my present to arrive: a custom-made table for the kitchen, 38" high.  Der Brucer deliberately lied to his daughter about what that is costing us, but the investment will be worth it, to have a table tall enough to work at without stooping over.  (He calls the lie "the unethical path of least resistance.")  Happiness is having a lover who both listened and understood when I explained the ergonomics behind my wants.  

(Me =  :D, der Brucer =  8))

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: December 25, 2003, 08:29:49 PM »

Ah, Tony Scotti - what a film presence.  Especially the first time his legs give out at the Music Center after seeing Hello, Dolly!

Old people making out?  Never heard of it.

MusicGuy

« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2003, 08:32:00 PM »

Trans-Pacific huge holiday wishes to DR Tom of Oz & Colin.....Kerry and I send you a big yule hug!!

DR Jay.....we took Sugar up to the nephews and relatives house today, and she was so well behaved that I kvelled while eating my lemon cheesecake.  I REALLY hope that Roller can come home tomorrow, and will continue to feel better.

I think I am just about ready for a nice extra-long sleep tonight......house straightening-up can take place tomorrow.   ::)

Tomovoz

« Reply #127 on: December 25, 2003, 08:32:06 PM »

td: The real me may well be considered weird by some too. There was a clue to the source of my answer too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MusicGuy

« Reply #128 on: December 25, 2003, 08:34:26 PM »

And to all, A GOOD NIGHT !

Tomovoz

« Reply #129 on: December 25, 2003, 08:37:30 PM »

MusicGuy. Excitement there for a while. I thought you were sending a big yule log. Happy "Boxing Day" to you both and of course the the newest member of the family. I opened some presents today. (Too rushed yesterday) and my young brother had sent me some boxers - a suitable day for the opening and wearing of same. Is the 26th referred to as "boxing Day" in the USA?. I believe it was the traditional day for giving gift boxes to the servants in the UK.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: December 25, 2003, 08:40:15 PM »

Good night?  We must all stay up until the cows come home.  After all, there are eight maids waiting to be a-milking.  

Seriously, is there anywhere on all the Internet where such a warm and cuddly Christmas such as this can be had?  No is the answer.  Of course we are sorry that the errant and truant couldn't stop by but then again we shall laugh and laugh soon enough.

Michael

« Reply #131 on: December 25, 2003, 08:41:34 PM »

DR Tom: The weather in Australia/New Zealand in the March to May months is comparable to the weather in what parts of the United States? (I know it is the fall time there)
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #132 on: December 25, 2003, 08:43:32 PM »

OMG of course, "Say One For Me" which was on the Fox Movie Channel last night!

What a corker!  I don't think Robert Wagner should play a "heel" - he's not so hot at it....but Debbie shines as usual!

Tony Scotti!  MR BK what is your favorite scene from VALLEY OF THE DOLLS?  And I have read the Ann-Margret, Raquel Welch, and Petula Clark were considered for roles in the film.  A-M and Raquel for Jennifer no doubt (Welch claims she turned it down) - but do you think Clark was considered for Neely?

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #133 on: December 25, 2003, 08:45:16 PM »

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #134 on: December 25, 2003, 08:46:57 PM »

Re: Tony Scotti made one film after Valley. Did some producing and that was it. Anyone know anything more?
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #135 on: December 25, 2003, 08:48:47 PM »

And Dear Reader JRand comes through ! ! !

'tis indeed a strange little movies, isn't it?

It's also one of the first records that I can remember hearing often from my parents' collection. . .

Some of us don't have The Fox Movie Channel, or we would have a copy of SAY ONE FOR ME. . .

Michael

« Reply #136 on: December 25, 2003, 08:49:43 PM »

BTW did you know that a current gossip columist for E! renamed himself after a character from Valley of the Dolls!!!!
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: December 25, 2003, 08:51:57 PM »

Yes, Ted Casablanca - he should have PLAYED Ted Casablanca, given the continuing descriptions of him.  I'm rather fond of Miss Hayward's first scene, where she gets Patty Duke canned.  And, of course, we love sparkle, Neely, sparkle.

td

• td
« Reply #138 on: December 25, 2003, 08:52:51 PM »

Re: Tony Scotti made one film after Valley. Did some producing and that was it. Anyone know anything more?

Yes, he and his brother produced records - Scotti Brothers, and if memory serves, they produced the soundtrack album for EDDIE AND THE CRUISERS. . .well, I know it was on their label. . .and soon-to-be cabaret chanteuse Helen Schneider appears on that soundtrack, as well as on the Scotti Brothers label. . . doesn't she?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #139 on: December 25, 2003, 08:53:16 PM »

I am looking forward to SORDID LIVES; I have heard similar things from so many people.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: December 25, 2003, 08:55:28 PM »

Difficult question Michael. Australia is about the same land mass as the USA (sans Alaska). Sydney/Melbourne/Adelaide/Perth have mild weather and Autumn is very pleasant indeed. Geographic climate zones would put us in the Californian region. New Zealand is a little cooler as is Tasmania but nevertheless would not be cold. I have been in New York in the fall. Our climate change is much milder. Colin and I were in New Orleans in September - it felt like a Melbourne (Oz not Florida) Autumn day. Does that help?
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #141 on: December 25, 2003, 08:55:51 PM »

Quick technical question for BK:

On the gorgeously transferred dvd of SCROOGE, there is a red flare which appears momentarily at the start of "Beautiful Day," (which is the most noticeable of a few transfer flaws); Is this red flare (left side of the screen) an artifact?  Is it from the original film negative?  Do you know what the hell I am talking about?

Michael

« Reply #142 on: December 25, 2003, 08:59:37 PM »

Tallking of Scrooge. Was there a song called I Hate Christmas or was it just I Hate People?
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: December 25, 2003, 09:00:36 PM »

I have VALLEY OF THE DOLLS on widescreen laserdisc, but I haven't watched it in probably a year.

I guess they changed Neely winning an Oscar in the book to a Grammy in the movie because the AMPAS probably wouldn't give permission to use their statuettes.

My favorite scene is when Neely's necklace criss-crosses across her chest during "It's Impossible."

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: December 25, 2003, 09:02:27 PM »

DR td, I have the laserdisc of SCROOGE and could check to see if that flare is there if you'd like.

td

• td
« Reply #145 on: December 25, 2003, 09:02:39 PM »

Tallking of Scrooge. Was there a song called I Hate Christmas or was it just I Hate People?

It's "Father Christmas" sung in counterpoint to "I Hate People."
(followed quickly by "December the 25th, "Happiness" and "I Like Life.")

td

• td
« Reply #146 on: December 25, 2003, 09:04:01 PM »

DR td, I have the laserdisc of SCROOGE and could check to see if that flare is there if you'd like.

That'd be sweet!
I just finished watching the dvd, in toto, for the first time since buying in on the day it was released.
I love Finney's performance!

Matt H.

« Reply #147 on: December 25, 2003, 09:06:15 PM »

I'll run downstairs now and fire it up. Be back in ten minutes or so with the answer.

BTW, the DVD is so beautifully done that it makes the laserdisc look washed out and sound tinny in comparison.

Michael

« Reply #148 on: December 25, 2003, 09:09:02 PM »

Quick technical question for BK:

On the gorgeously transferred dvd of SCROOGE, there is a red flare which appears momentarily at the start of "Beautiful Day," (which is the most noticeable of a few transfer flaws); Is this red flare (left side of the screen) an artifact?  Is it from the original film negative?  Do you know what the hell I am talking about?

Looking at the scene right now, but could not see the red flare that you are talking about. But I did see something to the left of one of the girls in the shot right before Tiny Tim sings
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #149 on: December 25, 2003, 09:09:39 PM »

I'll run downstairs now and fire it up. Be back in ten minutes or so with the answer.

. . .and that is why DR Matt H is a HHW God!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up