Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CRAZY CHICKEN  (Read 20939 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE CRAZY CHICKEN
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2003, 09:36:49 AM »

QOD: Mac and Cheese with meat of some sort. Also like Spaghetti, usually.

Did anyone watch the 1927 version of KING OF KINGS that was on TCM the other day? I used to watch that movie every Easter when I was a kid! I loved it and have waited years for it to show up again now that I am an adult.

I have not yet seen the Jeffrey Hunter version of KING OF KINGS that was made in the early 60s. I have avoided it, althought I like Jeffrey Hunter and I imagine he does a very nice job portraying Jesus. Unfortunately when I look at Jeffrey Hunter my thoughts are not exactly pure...and lusting after Jesus, I quite imagine,  must count as some sort of horrible sin! LOL!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2003, 09:38:00 AM »

There is a pasta dish whose name is something like pasta puscatana (I know it when I see it on a menu) which is an anchovy sauce.  

Do you mean putanesca?  Interesting is the derivation of that word, I must say.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2003, 09:40:29 AM »

Spaghetti carbonara is high on my list.  As is pappardalle with a dark mushroom sauce.  As is a well made lasagne.

Danise

« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2003, 09:42:49 AM »

Did you know that Jeffrey Hunter was the first Captain of the Starship, Enterprise even before Shattner?

Also I remember reading that whoever plays Jesus in a movie that shows his face, dies a weird death.  I can’t remember where I saw that.

Didn't Jeffrey Hunter die by falling off of a ladder?

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2003, 09:43:20 AM »

I am listening to my Saturday morning opera show, and they just played Lily Pons singing Strauss' "The Blue Danube Waltz."  Not exactly an exercise in good taste.  At this very moment they've got Anna Russell doing her spin on Russian folk songs, which dates from the Cold War years.  It's called "Da, Nyet."  She says it essentially translates to "Let's Do It......Collectively, Of Course."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2003, 09:50:41 AM »

MBarnum: the Nicholas Ray King of Kings is one of my favorite of all the Biblical epics.  Gorgeously shot, good actors (including the divoon Frank Thring as Herod), and a beautiful Rozsa score.  There's a quite good and inexpensive DVD of it from Warners and I recommend it.

Emily

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2003, 10:03:03 AM »

mmm... pasta...

I like almost all of the seafood-y pastas (Craig's sounds delish...) and, while I haven't eaten them in a long time because of their non-inclusion in the SUBWAY diet, the creamy sauced pastas were favorites once upon a time.  

My favorite overall one though has to be linguini a la funghetti (or is it funghi?  I can never remember) which is linguini tossed with sauteed mushrooms, olive oil and red pepper flakes.  

Yum...
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2003, 10:16:56 AM »

I think Craig should MAKE some of his pasta and Fed Ex it to all of us.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2003, 10:31:30 AM »

Spaghetti alla carbonara is among my favorite pastas, as well as Tortellini con ragu, spaghetti with meat sauce, lasagna, spaghetti alla rubiato, etc.  Sadly, I've encountered few pastas that weren't instant favorites!

I, too, have the MattH curiousity about BK's new digital dish and digital TV service.  I have been considering the switch for six months.  I'm very unhappy with our current monopolistic provider -- ComCast.  I think less of them than the folks they bought out who at least kept costs down commensurate with what we actually got for our money.  I get nothing especially different today than I did 10 years ago, yet I pay $45 a month for it when it used to cost me $19.95.  And that was up to a few years ago.  Then it went up to $27, and wasn't too bade.  Then it was $35 when ComCast took over, and $45 when they realigned programming (with nothing of interest added and a couple of good channels taken away).  I really love the Fox Movie Channel and Turner Classic Movies, so I want a service that includes those.

I'm having a relaxing day -- it's sunny, clear and 60 degrees F outside.  The "All in the Family" marathon is on the Comedy channel and we're enjoying many of the shows, including the wonderful "Edith Goes Through the Change" (or whatever it was called).

Have a great Saturday everyone!

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2003, 10:39:51 AM »

Ok, BK, I will have to check out that version of KING OF KINGS...you like it even more then THE TEN COMMANDMENTS? That is another one I love...who knew and agnostic like me would be so into religious movies!

According to the new Classic Images magazine the DVD sets of Abbott and Costello and Ma and Pa Kettle films will be released in early February! Hurray!! Some good titles too!

The A & B ones will be a two disc set with 8 movies...including Who Done It, Hold that Ghost, and Ride 'Em Cowboy...the Kettle Disc will have 4 movies!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2003, 10:48:17 AM »

It's a LOT of stations and includes HBO so I can watch The Sopranos.  It's around the same as you pay, too, with the first three months of HBO free.  I'll let you know how many stations and what the interesting ones are this afternoon.  And I'll let you know the quality.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2003, 11:05:14 AM »

Working away, and almost finished with the last handful of notes.  Then I shall vamoose or, at the very least, vamelk back to the home environment.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2003, 11:09:18 AM »

I love pasta!  I'd rather eat pasta than almost anything.  I love it in combination with tomato sauces, cheese, and meat...any one or all together.  I will not eat any pasta that has seafood or veggies in it.

I heard a vague rumour...utterly unsubstantiated... that Jeffrey Hunter fell down a flight of stairs when in drag, tripping on the high heels he was wearing...I don't remember where I heard it,  I really don't believe it, but somehow it wouldn't surprise me either.

Yesterday the lovely wife and I watched LUTHER with Stacy Keach which we liked very much.  And THE MAIDS with Glenda Jackson and Susannah York and Vivian Merchant (the ex-Mrs. Harold Pinter) which, while wonderfully, acted, neither of us understood at all...But it did explained to me why I have been wise to avoid French existentialists and absurdists like Genet and others.  Very bizarre piece.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 11:10:29 AM by Charles Pogue »

Ben

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2003, 11:24:28 AM »

Hello, my fellow HKs. It's a drizzly, cool day in London as we wind down from a trip to St. Paul's and the Tower. The Tower is fascinating but tiring. We went to Tesco's to buy more provisions for our last 5 days in London (it's all going by so fast!!!).

Hope you are all well and have had a festive holiday season. To answer a question from a few days ago, the best Christmas present I received was one given to myself, this wonderful trip to London with my Anthony.

Going to the National Portrait Gallery tomorrow and then a guided walk around Dicken's and Shakespeare's London. Took a guided Jack the Ripper Walk last night and an Eccentric London Walk yesterday afternoon. Both fascinating and during the first walk we went past the British Equity office and I found Dress Circle. Now I know how to get there.

Bye for now.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2003, 11:27:14 AM »

Did you know that Jeffrey Hunter was the first Captain of the Starship, Enterprise even before Shattner?

Also I remember reading that whoever plays Jesus in a movie that shows his face, dies a weird death.  I can’t remember where I saw that.

Didn't Jeffrey Hunter die by falling off of a ladder?

According to the (revisionist history) "Star Trek: Enterprise," Jonathan Archer is now the first captain of Enterprise.  As much as I like the show, I don't like the fact that practically everything in this show contradicts the history that had been established (and for the most part, maintained) by every other ST series.  The way that I've decided to reconcile the contradictions is to believe that the show "Star Trek: Enterprise" IS the alternate universe that will eventually have the evil Kirk and the Spock with the beard.  Makes sense, don'cha think?  ;D

As for the Jesus rumor, were there movies where they didn't show Jesus' face?  Have there been faceless Jesi?  And what about this new Mel Gibson movie?  Does that mean that Jim Caviezel (rhymes with weasel--and he's a Washington State native) is going to die a weird death?  ???
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 11:30:57 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2003, 11:35:29 AM »

Pasta?  I make pretty good lasagna, but I just use a mix for the sauce.  "McCormick's Spaghetti Sauce Flavored with Mushrooms."  Even though you can't even see any mushroom bits (which is a good thing), it's better than the regular plain McCormick's spaghetti sauce mix.  As for the recipe, I use the recipe that's on the ricotta cheese (whatever brand that I happen to buy) and just double EVERYTHING except the noodles.  Simple!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 11:36:58 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2003, 11:35:46 AM »

Do we not love the fact that we have posts from London and Hawaii?  We are so GLOBAL.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2003, 11:44:40 AM »

Ben, you're making me homesick...even though London is not my home.  I usually stay just a block down Upper St. Martin's Lane from British Equity and the Dress Circle up on Monmouth St. near Seven Dials, I usually shop at the Tesco's just around the corner in Covent Garden.  I love Tesco's! Who did you have as a guide on the Jack the Ripper walk?  Donald Rumbelow, author of The Complete Jack the Ripper, does a great tour.  If you have not seen anything at the Royal National Theatre yet, I urge you to...

Tomovoz

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2003, 11:56:22 AM »

How wonderful to have "The Ten Commandments" and "Ma & Pa Kettle" mentioned in the same post MBarnum. A brillliant juxtapositioning of films of my childhood.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2003, 11:59:11 AM »

Years ago when we were on the NT tour in London - we were getting a rather quick tour....then the young lady asked us who we were and when she found out we were a theatre troup, we slowed down and took us to places usually NOT on the tour.

It is a rather austere building from the outside, but what a great space inside!

There is a movie with Glenda Jackson and George Segal....hmmmm....I will remember the name later I am sure....and they are having an affair ...suddenly have an argument and decide to leave the island hotel....she demands he reserve two seats on the airplane he says it's not necessary....etc.  It is one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen, and the two of them are perfect.....  Especially when Jackson puts a button on the scene by saying...."Press THAT in your book of memories..."  LOL!

You know Jean Ratcliffe who wrote Frances Farmer's "autobiography" wanted Glenda to play Frances in the movie version....but it never happened.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2003, 12:05:02 PM »

DR Jane: Note: not all Australian literature and not all Australian films concern themselves with talking pigs!  Hope you really enjoyed the lamb and pickle.
td: "Lost" did not really sound like a book that Colin would choose - it was last minute gift (from Magnus & Fosca) as Colin knew he was getting the Swedish "Chess" DVD. It sound more like Clive Barker. (More me).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2003, 12:06:22 PM »

Good morning all
I love pasta in all forms.  Among the favorites has to be my mother's homemade pesto with angel hair pasta...sooo good.  Also a big fan of most alfredo sauces, but try to stay away from them these days, 'cause of the diet.  
Showing my college-student colors, I must put in a word for good ol' ramen noodles.  Chicken is the best flavor, IMHO.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2003, 12:10:03 PM »

"Everybody Loves raman". So that's whence the show title comes?
James Thurber 1957

Diane

« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2003, 12:27:03 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY SATURDAY ONE AND ALL! :D[/move]

MMMM...Pasta..I would eat pasta everyday if I could. I love Penne w/broccoli, galic and olive oil. Also like angel hair with crabmeat and marinara. Ohh! and Ravioli covered in cheese...yum! ;)
I LOVE A Piano....

td

• td
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2003, 12:45:13 PM »

I have not yet seen the Jeffrey Hunter version of KING OF KINGS that was made in the early 60s. I have avoided it, althought I like Jeffrey Hunter and I imagine he does a very nice job portraying Jesus. Unfortunately when I look at Jeffrey Hunter my thoughts are not exactly pure...and lusting after Jesus, I quite imagine,  must count as some sort of horrible sin! LOL!

I'm with BK on this one, MB!
KING OF KINGS with Hunter is gorgeously reproduced on dvd! If I recall correctly, there is not a touch of camp in this one; unlike Stevens' mega-mega-mega GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD which, for me, loses it the very moment that Donald Pleasance shows up as The Tempter and continues to be a laugh-inducing mess right up until John Wayne proclaims, "Surely dis man was da son o' Gawd, (pilgrim)."  And yet, there's that scene with Pat Boone in the tomb. . oy!  Lovely to look at though, but, it's paced for those who like to watch paint dry, or sit in museums swearing that the painting moved.  GSET also boasts a fine dvd transfer and another favorite Biblical score. . .

As for the question as to whether or not there have been faceless Jesi, yes, indeed, neither the silent nor the 1959 BEN-HURs dared to show his face.  IIRC, the Jesus in 1959 was played by the inappropriately monikered Glenn HEATER.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2003, 01:03:49 PM »

Back home and waiting for the Dish People.  Yesterday, I used some gift coupons at Staples and got an amazing new thing called a memory stick.  It's the size of a lipstick, and it plugs into any USB port in your computer and has more memory than a zip disc and you don't need the zip drive when you're at work or on location.  I also used the rest of my gift coupons and got a wireless ethernet card which allows you to somehow get on the Internet without a formal connection.  Someone will configure it for me at work on Monday - then, if I'm in a hotel or in the office or wherever, I can just insert the thing into my laptop and it taps into the nearest signal and voila - one is on the Internet without having to use the hotel phone line or ethernet port, thereby saving moolah.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2003, 01:11:33 PM »

JRand53,  I believe the Jackson/Segal movie you're thinking about is a TOUCH OF CLASS.  Glenda Jackson won a Best Actress Oscar for it, I believe.  Also got noms for Best Picture; script, and song.

The National Tour is fun.  We got a rather extensive tour of the place...I think there were only four in our group.  Despite its austereness from the outside (and some think from the inside), I think all three spaces are rather wonderful...particularly the Olivier. But just the experience of going and looking at the exhibits before curtain and listening to the music that's usually being performed, and, of course, visiting the wonderful bookstore all add to the theatre-going experience.  And I love buying ice cream at intermission (of course, this is de rigeur in all British theatres).  I have also never been disappointed in the quality of anything I've ever seen there...and it's probably still the best-priced ticket in town.

Ben

« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2003, 01:20:24 PM »

Charles,

We had an actress named Angela for our Jack tour. Donald is off on Holiday so we missed him. He has quite a reputation as a Jack the Ripper expert and his tour is highly recommended. Angela has appeared in many British television shows including a Midsomer Murders that Anthony had seen. He went "over the top" as our British friends might say.

We will try to get a show in at the National tomorrow evening after a dinner of beef and yorkshire pudding (yummy I know the dish of the day is pasta, but I'm in London and beef and fish and chips are the order of the day).

Tomovoz

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2003, 01:31:26 PM »

Have you picked up an Australian accent from Earls Court yet Ben? I think it is  still very much "Kangaroo Valley" there. (Famous for Barry McKenzie aka as Barry Humphries aka as Dame Edna aka as Sir Les Patterson aka Sandy Stone). Home of the crass Australian in London.
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2003, 01:37:46 PM »

Y'all remember that seasonal song, "So This is Christmas?"  Well, considering that MB, BK and I were talking about KING OF KINGS, I thought I post the following, and caption it:

SO THIS IS JESUS?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up