Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CRAZY CHICKEN  (Read 20931 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THE CRAZY CHICKEN
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2003, 01:40:21 PM »

I believe!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2003, 01:45:50 PM »

I believe!

If you beleive, then GET DOWN on your knees and pray! ! ! !
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2003, 01:47:20 PM »

A TOUCH OF CLASS is available on DVD; I have it. Glenda Jackson's win for it was one of the biggest upsets in Oscar history as most thought Joanne Woodward would win for SUMMER WISHES, WINTER DREAMS. Jackson had won in 1970 for WOMEN IN LOVE and most thought they wouldn't give it to her (1) again so soon after her first win, (2) for a comedy. Woodward had one of the most hilarious reactions on her face when she lost. It was like, "Whhaaaaaa Happennnnnnnn....." (A MIGHTY WIND reference).

Another urge for DR MBarnum to see KING OF KINGS with Jeffrey Hunter. Beautiful version of the story, and Hunter IS to be worshipped whichever way your desire leads you.  :)  

Frankly, I think THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD was a waste of George Stevens' time and a great deal of some studio's money. Why on earth did he think the Jesus story would need to be told again SO soon after it was told as well as it was in KING OF KINGS? Hubris pure and simple.

I don't think Jeffrey Hunter died in any strange way (except too young). I believe he had a defective heart and it just stopped working. They did a MYSTERY AND SCANDALS about him, and I watched, but it was too long ago for me to rememeber. BTW, it was his first wife who urged him to turn down STAR TREK. She was a social climber and wanted her husband to be a movie star, not a working actor on TV. Biggest mistake he ever made. They later divorced, and he married Emily MacLaughlin from GENERAL HOSPITAL. (This I do remember from that TV show.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2003, 01:47:33 PM »

No Dish People have arrived yet.  They tell you between one and five which means more five than one probably.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2003, 01:51:23 PM »

I spent the afternoon watching BRIGADOON on DVD. The disc isn't anamorphically encoded, so it's only a tad sharper than the laserdisc, and I would almost swear that the laserdisc has better stereo surround sound than the DVD. When I get home from the party tonight (or sometime tomorrow if it's too late tonight to do it), I'm going to sync up the DVD and laserdisc and compare picture and sound. Some of you might be interested in what I find.

Or, maybe I've got too much time on my hands!  ;D

And, of course, the laserdisc has the outtakes that are missing on the DVD.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2003, 01:55:08 PM by Matt H. »

td

• td
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2003, 01:52:30 PM »

No Dish People have arrived yet.  They tell you between one and five which means more five than one probably.

I have this image in my head of those darned plate spinners from THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW.  . .

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2003, 01:54:18 PM »

Who here has their very own memory stick?  If no one does, you simply must get one.  They are too too.  I love my memory stick - it has better memory than I have.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2003, 01:55:50 PM »

Ann, I know I'm looking forward to new Stargate shows!  I love it.  

Did you mean Ann or me? :)

td

• td
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2003, 01:56:14 PM »

I believe!

Didn't the extremely macho Johhny Ray sing that in THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS? ? ? ?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2003, 02:01:15 PM »

Have I mentioned that I have a memory stick?  

td

• td
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2003, 02:04:27 PM »

Have I mentioned that I have a memory stick?  

Does it remember Johnny Ray? ? ?

Tomovoz

« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2003, 02:06:07 PM »

Did the OZ movie "The Dish" have a USA release? A delightful OZ movie and an honest look at the times.
td: doubting Thomas who is so much older and wiser must of course let you know that it is Johnnie Ray.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2003, 02:10:53 PM »

Right now it's remembering the entirety of Kritzer Time.

Tomovoz

« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2003, 02:11:22 PM »

I wonder if Johnnie banged any "Texas Tambourines".  "Interesting" biography of Johnnie "Cry - The Johnnie Ray Story" by Johnny Whiteside. I gather he was far more likely to say yes than no to Joe and Josephine.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2003, 02:12:22 PM »

Did you know that Jeffrey Hunter was the first Captain of the Starship, Enterprise even before Shattner?

Also I remember reading that whoever plays Jesus in a movie that shows his face, dies a weird death.  I can’t remember where I saw that.

Didn't Jeffrey Hunter die by falling off of a ladder?

I don't think so>>>>

Hunter suffered a cerebral hemorrhage while on a short flight of steps in his living room, and collapsed, injuring his head in the fall. He was found unconscious an unknown length of time later. He died, without regaining consciousness, the following day, following surgery to repair the skull fracture, at age 42.

Here are some of the actors who played Jesus that are still with us..........

William DaFoe (The Last Temptation of Christ), Max Von Sydow (The Greatest Story Ever Told) Christian Bale (Mary, Mother of Jesus (TV)), Ted Neeley (Jesus Christ Supestar), Glen Carter (Jesus Christ Superstar TV), Victor Garbor (Godspell), John Hurt (The History of the World Part One), Robert Powell ( "Jesus of Nazareth" TV), Chris Saradon (The Day Christ Died)

As for the actors who's faces were not shown was more at the reverance of the filmmakers that the face should not be shown.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2003, 02:13:04 PM »

Did the OZ movie "The Dish" have a USA release? A delightful OZ movie and an honest look at the times.
td: doubting Thomas who is so much older and wiser must of course let you know that it is Johnnie Ray.

Yes it did, but I haven't seen it.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2003, 02:17:19 PM »

Off to Borders now to do some after-holidays shopping and then on to the party. Will be back later with tales (tails?) to tell?  ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2003, 02:19:53 PM »

DR td, I think Johnnie Ray's song in TNBLSB was "If You Believe." Overdone ham from the word "go," and I love it.

Michael

« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2003, 02:20:53 PM »

A TOUCH OF CLASS is available on DVD; I have it. Glenda Jackson's win for it was one of the biggest upsets in Oscar history as most thought Joanne Woodward would win for SUMMER WISHES, WINTER DREAMS. Jackson had won in 1970 for WOMEN IN LOVE and most thought they wouldn't give it to her (1) again so soon after her first win, (2) for a comedy. Woodward had one of the most hilarious reactions on her face when she lost. It was like, "Whhaaaaaa Happennnnnnnn....." (A MIGHTY WIND reference).

I also believe the other top contender was Barbra Streisand for The Way We Were. It was between them. The votes were probably split between and that allowed Jackson to sneak in. A Touch of Class also had a song nominated  All That Love Went to Waste which is pretty good song as well. Other nominees that year were Live and Let Die, Love from Robin Hood, and Nice To Be Around from Cinderella Liberty.

And it was nominated for Best Picture along with Cries and Whispers, The Exorcist, American Graffitti and the winner The Sting
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2003, 02:51:22 PM »

Welcome back DR Jed. Hope your yuletide was a joyous one.
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2003, 02:57:41 PM »

Hello everybody!  I has returned, and I also has caught up on all the loverly festive posts I missed during my trek home for Christmas.  Had a nice, relaxed holiday with the family, and now another full week of rest and relaxation and generally lazing about like so much fish.

I do believe this is the first Christmas in which I did not receive even one CD.  Very, very odd, that.  Did get a couple shirts, a Barnes & Noble gift certificate, a nice scarf, some kitchen paraphanalia, a decent electric piano (my father, as is his way, thought he'd gotten something perfect to use with my music software, but this keyboard has somewhat limited MIDI capabilities, not to mention that I have no MIDI set-up on my computer! :D), The Pianist on DVD, and the wonderful DVD set of Season 1 of The West Wing.

Very glad to read of all the lovely festivities of my HHW friends.  I'm happy to be back among the merriment.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2003, 03:02:57 PM »

A question for all y'all...

What are your thoughts on Children of Eden?  I ask because it looks as though I'll be vocal director for an upcoming local high school production of it.  I know nothing of the score or book.  I should probably remedy that before I start teaching the kids the music, eh? :D  Perhaps that shall be part of my B&N certificate purchase... (along with the Wicked CD, which I was rather surprised I didn't find under the tree)

Tomovoz

« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2003, 03:11:24 PM »

"Children Of Eden". Hope to see a production of it in the New Year. I still prefer the London cast recording. The more complete recording sounds a bit "samey". "Stranger To The Rain" and "In Whatever Time We Have" are the standout songs. Let me know if either one of the Cds is unavailable Jed.
James Thurber 1957

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2003, 03:27:39 PM »

DR M Shayne is correct.  The adorable Jeffrey Hunter did indeed die at home, as Michael described.  It was while he was married to Emily McLaughlin, and it used to be quite the buzz around the General Hospital set.

Some of us, however, tended to think that he threw himself down on purpose, what with having to put up with Emily Iceberg.  There was also quite a bit of talk that alcohol had started to become a daily part of Jeffrey's life at home.

Anyway, it was a shame.  Way too young!! :-[

MusicGuy

« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2003, 03:31:12 PM »

DR Jed --     If you don't already have it, there is a great little MIDI software program called "Power Tracks"  that a friend tipped me off about several years ago.  It will do very good multi-track sequencing, and it will also do a fair job of notation.

It is far less expensive (at about $29 ) than a lot of the Cakewalk programs.  For really detailed notation, you can't beat "Finale" by Coda Systems, but it is horribly expensive, and very complex to learn.

MusicGuy

« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2003, 03:33:24 PM »

DR Tomovoz --   I was really surprised that I didn't hear a reaction from you about my 2 "macaroni & chest" pictures that I posted early today??!!  I thought sure that there would be a pithy retort from the wilds of Victoria.  

You might be interested to know that one of them is Australian......... ::)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2003, 03:36:07 PM »

Does anyone know anything about a Memory Stick?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MusicGuy

« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2003, 03:36:37 PM »

Dear esteemed, patient, and memory-enhanced BK --

I'm so glad for your new purchase.......if I run into Leslie Parrish, I can extol your virtues by saying things like.."Wow, you should see the size of that memory stick!.."  and other such complimentary utterings.

BTW, have the geese finished schtupping yet??  We are worried about residual offspring taking over the grounds of "La Casa Kimmel Encantada."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2003, 03:37:11 PM »

A TOUCH OF CLASS yes DRCHARLESPOGUE that is it. I have the VHS but haven't watched in many years.

Once when we were in London to see a play...I think LETTICE AND LOVAGE - the ladies came by during the interval with tea carts!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jed

« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2003, 03:37:16 PM »

MusicGuy - Actually, I do have Finale, and use it quite a bit (for choral and vocal jazz ensemble arranging).  I think I misworded my original statement a bit... it's my computer itself that isn't very MIDI friendly at the moment, but I'm looking at an upgrade in hardware very soon.  Hadn't heard of Power Tracks.  I'll look into it, thanks!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up