Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN BUSINESS  (Read 28035 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:BACK IN BUSINESS
« Reply #240 on: January 02, 2007, 10:19:40 PM »

The Harburg foundation has given us nice grants for our films. It's the least I can do!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #241 on: January 02, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »

Page nine...that's fine!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #242 on: January 02, 2007, 10:20:09 PM »

What did you get?

*I'm awaiting my order from The Good Cook (BOMC) End of the Year Clearance Sale.  I just could not resist at $9.99 a book.  And NO shipping and handling!
Best Food Writing 2006, ed. Holly Hughes

The Botany of Desire: a plant's-eye view of the world, by Michael Pollan

Happy in the Kitchen, by Michel Richard

(I wanted to nab What to Drink with What You Eat, by Dornenberg and Page, but that was out of stock.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Edisaurus

« Reply #243 on: January 02, 2007, 10:23:05 PM »

I heard de Falla's "Nights in the Gardens of Spain" on the radio

I heard Alicia De Larocha play this live and was awestruck. I met her afterwards, and my small hand engulfed hers when I shook it.

How does she do it?

Edisaurus

« Reply #244 on: January 02, 2007, 10:24:01 PM »

Weren't we all "very young and very slender" at one time?

Yes, a LONG time ago!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #245 on: January 02, 2007, 10:24:58 PM »

I never had grandpas as cool as that!
Der Brucer is the Grampa, I'm "The Spare."

The other Grampa, aka PopPop, is an ok fellow, a farmer in close range, but he doesn't connect with this modern world that the grandlads are going to have to live in.

And, as selfish, petulant, and agravating as the grandlads can be at times, they're pretty cool, too.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Edisaurus

« Reply #246 on: January 02, 2007, 10:26:14 PM »

nice cameos by Dick Van Dyke

Speaking of Van Dyke...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, (in a matter of hours) VAN DYKE PARKS!

Greg and I are sipping champagne in honor of his 64th birthday.
(I will still need him, I will still feed him, when he's 64.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #247 on: January 02, 2007, 10:26:20 PM »

I should head to bed.

Edisaurus

« Reply #248 on: January 02, 2007, 10:27:27 PM »

a farmer in close range

if you have good aim.

Is that why they call him PopPop?

Edisaurus

« Reply #249 on: January 02, 2007, 10:28:04 PM »

I should head to bed.

I'm with you. In a manner of speaking...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #250 on: January 02, 2007, 10:32:12 PM »

Best Food Writing 2006, ed. Holly Hughes

The Botany of Desire: a plant's-eye view of the world, by Michael Pollan

Happy in the Kitchen, by Michel Richard

(I wanted to nab What to Drink with What You Eat, by Dornenberg and Page, but that was out of stock.)

Nice selection.

I've adored Michel Richard ever since the first time I tried the Hot Chocolate Truffles at Citronelle.  Absolutely amazing!  And I've even made them at home a few times.  He shared his recipe on one of those "Great Chefs..." series on PBS many years ago.  -Or was it on Julia Child?  Hmm.. In any case...  It's basically a regular chocolate truffle, rolled in sugar, chilled, and the deep-fried.  -Well, more like "shallow-fried" since the truffles aren't that big.  Quite the wonderful taste sensation - the slight crunch/crackle of the sugar crust followed by some warm, melted chocolate, followed by (hopefully), a small, still solid nugget of chocolate in the center.  Pure sensory overload!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #251 on: January 02, 2007, 10:40:56 PM »

I heard Alicia De Larocha play this live and was awestruck. I met her afterwards, and my small hand engulfed hers when I shook it.

How does she do it?

She does indeed have small hands.  Tiny.  As to how she does it?  She just does.  I've met her a few times, and she's always been very gracious and humble, unassuming.  And she actually helped a friend of mine who was having problems with pre-, during and post-performance nerves.  My friend asked her if she had ever had a problem with nerves, she responded with a resounding, "Si!".  After a bit more chat, she suggested to my friend that she take a Vitamin B supplement since that's what helped her.  And, lo and behold, that did the trick.  *And my friend even went to her doctor just to make sure it was the Vitamin B helping her deal with her nerves and not some power of suggestion... Sure enough, after some tests, her doctor found that her system processed Vitamin B very fast, so, in essence, she was Vitamin B-deficient for most of her post-adolescence life.  Not anymore.  (Since Vitamin B is an important component of proper nervous system function...)

In any case...

Ms. de Larrocha is indeed an amazing pianist, although, I believe she recently retired from concert life.  I seem to remember a "farewell tour" in the recent past for her.  Thankfully, her recordings of the major works of the Spanish canon - Albeniz, Granados, de Falla, etc. - have remained in circulation over the years.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 10:45:27 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #252 on: January 02, 2007, 10:43:55 PM »

OH!  And one other interesting "note" about Alicia de Larrocha.  As previously mentioned, she is a woman of small stature with small hands.  One of the "casualties" of her aging process was that her hands got smaller as she aged.  Consequently, she had to drop certain pieces - and composers (like Rachmaninoff) - from her recital repertoire due to her diminishing hand-span.  However, a upshot of this was her Mozart concerti cycle.  Quite wonderful.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #253 on: January 02, 2007, 10:48:29 PM »

DR MBarnum - CLICK HERE!

Other DRs may Click There too.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #254 on: January 02, 2007, 10:51:00 PM »

Nice selection.

I've adored Michel Richard ever since the first time I tried the Hot Chocolate Truffles at Citronelle.  Absolutely amazing!  And I've even made them at home a few times.  He shared his recipe on one of those "Great Chefs..." series on PBS many years ago.  -Or was it on Julia Child?  Hmm.. In any case...  It's basically a regular chocolate truffle, rolled in sugar, chilled, and the deep-fried.  -Well, more like "shallow-fried" since the truffles aren't that big.  Quite the wonderful taste sensation - the slight crunch/crackle of the sugar crust followed by some warm, melted chocolate, followed by (hopefully), a small, still solid nugget of chocolate in the center.  Pure sensory overload!

OH!  There's a video!  :)

Hot Chocolate Truffles

*It was Julia Child!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #255 on: January 02, 2007, 10:52:57 PM »

Well, it's been a long day... And I don't want to end up sleeping through most of tomorrow, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #256 on: January 03, 2007, 12:07:06 AM »

New notes going up on time.  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up