Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: A LITANY OF THINGS  (Read 34781 times)

Ginny

Re:A LITANY OF THINGS
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2007, 07:42:47 AM »

TOD - Not much media time for me until Sunday.  After work today, I'm going to my mom's to have dinner with her and my DN (Dear Niece) Laura, who's visiting from Illinois.   Tomorrow morning I have an online board meeting for AAUW/Ohio and in the afternoon DN Laura and I are going to see Dreamgirls.

Sunday and Monday are my dismantling Christmas days, so I'll probably listed to CDs:  Bryn Terfel Tutto Mozart and whatever else jumps into my hands.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2007, 07:43:05 AM »

And one for Mozart.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2007, 07:47:02 AM »

OK... Car is moved back... And in the process of re-parking, I mis-judged how close I was to the sidewalk, and ended up scraping up one of my hubcaps.  Hopefully, that's all I did.  -Yet another sign that I need to get rid of that car soon.  And I will!
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2007, 08:00:26 AM »

DanTheMan, I am very, very happy to hear that your health is back to being good!!! That is a wonderful way to start off the New Year!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2007, 08:00:36 AM »

Jose and I here at the same time? Can it be??

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »

My gosh but that Merlin looks to be one BIG cat! He needs a wizard hat.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2007, 08:03:31 AM »

Loved reading the dance song trivia yesterday. I am a fan of both the Dovells and the Orlons.

More Dovells trivia I didn't see mentioned: lead Dovell Len Barry went on to have one great hit of his own: "One, Two Three."

The Dovells' story will be immortalized in the new Broadway production: PHILLY BOYS.

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2007, 08:04:22 AM »

I always thought The Dovells were British as well, until I saw them in the movie DON'T KNOCK THE TWIST. They perform THE  BRISTOL STOMP, but I couldn't tell if what they were doing on stage was the dance or not...and the audience was all seated, so...

I did enjoy them in that film and I have one of their CDs someplace.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 08:05:18 AM by MBarnum »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2007, 08:04:38 AM »

IT's FINALLY Friday.

What a year this has been!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2007, 08:05:02 AM »

Jose and I here at the same time? Can it be??

And in the same city too!

*So, now that you're writing the "Leading Men" column, does that mean you get more comps to Broadway shows, huh?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2007, 08:05:25 AM »

How on earth did I manage to work five days a week, week in and week out, in 2006?

And why is it that three weeks off totally put me off kilter in regards to my previously established rut?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2007, 08:07:17 AM »

Gold Diggers of 1933. Great stuff last night. Warren William rules. But Guy Kibbee is hilarious. I was also enjoying Footlight Parade before I conked out. Also with Kibbee, but here Hugh Herbert is the laugh riot. That guy's every facial expression cracks me up.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2007, 08:07:22 AM »

Last night's "Ugly Betty":

SPOILER

At the end, when Betty was explaining her deal with Mark -- the one in which she gave him her Gucci bag (which he did not know was a knock-off) in exchange for a knockoff bag from down the street -- what was the "rest" of the deal?  It happened so fast, I didn't hear what else she asked of him.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2007, 08:08:13 AM »

Well, time for me to get by day in gear.  I need to make a run to the post office, and then I'll be seeing "Dreamgirls" (again) at 1:30 with former DR Jason.  -And then I think we're heading down to that new mac'n'cheese restaurant in the East Village for dinner.  :)

So...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2007, 08:08:53 AM »

...off kilter in regards to my previously established rut...

Oh, I am so there!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2007, 08:09:58 AM »

Last night's "Ugly Betty":

SPOILER

At the end, when Betty was explaining her deal with Mark -- the one in which she gave him her Gucci bag (which he did not know was a knock-off) in exchange for a knockoff bag from down the street -- what was the "rest" of the deal?  It happened so fast, I didn't hear what else she asked of him.

He owes her a favor; she hasn't cashed it in yet.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2007, 08:10:53 AM »

Oh, I am so there!

So...what are we gonna do about it?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2007, 08:11:01 AM »

haha. Who knows, Jose? Just be ready to go at a moment's notice.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2007, 08:11:23 AM »

I have my usual Friday errands to run, so I'm heading downstairs now to clean up and get going.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2007, 08:11:31 AM »

Media Check:

CD:
The new pop CD by Sukhwinder Singh titled IS DIL SE.

DVD:
Episodes of the old TV series FOUR STAR PLAYHOUSE

VHS:
Hopefully some Rad Fulton movies (NO MY DARLING DAUGHTER and COME NEXT SPRING, if they arrive in the mail today.

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2007, 08:13:03 AM »

Rodzinski, did you see that there are several Wheeler and Woolsey films scheduled on TCM this month?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2007, 08:14:36 AM »

I love the fact that Chubby Checker's career arc reached the point where he did a dance song based on the leaping dance done by the guy from Freddie and the Dreamers. AND that the song actually made the American Top 40!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2007, 08:16:35 AM »

No, I did not see that, MBarnum. And you are my hero for telling me. Must see what they are!!! Must have all Wheeler and Woolsey films burned into my retinas!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2007, 08:16:46 AM »

TOD:  

CD Player: "DreamGirls" (soundtrack); "The Rains of Ranchipur" (CD-R of mono soundtrack).

DVD: DVD-R of "The Two Mrs. Carrolls" with the Tony awards ceremony excerpt of the "DreamGirls" performance.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2007, 08:18:05 AM »

Also, can I mention how excited I am by the forthcoming CREATURE WASN'T NICE product?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2007, 08:21:08 AM »

Of course you can mention it.  You can talk about anything here.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »

I instituted a thing at work called "Song of the Week" where each day one of my coworkers or I are responsible for putting a different song in the shared itunes for everyone to enjoy. Awaiting today's song.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2007, 08:24:14 AM »

Hey, Rodzinski!

What's your take on character actor Victor Moore?

Ginny

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2007, 08:28:10 AM »

So...what are we gonna do about it?

Well, I'll start by putting away all the Christmas decorations.  And, following the lead of DR Cillaliz, I've been working on preliminary preparations for a conference/vacation trip for DH Richard and myself: Washington, DC, June 23-July 1, for the American Library Association Annual Conference.

Here at work, the Grantseeking Basics workshop that I present every month needs revamping (new PowerPoint, new handouts).  And 2 college instructors called yesterday to set up times for me to guest-lecture their students.  In the last 10 minutes, 2 of my nonprofit clients have stopped by to chat and next week the professional organizations start up their regular schedules again.

And, in my dreaded volunteer project, which is actually planning a state-wide conference, only 4 of the 36 total hours are still out of focus.  I may have a telephonic conversation this evening that'll help with that.

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2007, 08:32:33 AM »

So, DR Ben, how's your first week back to work?  I just initiated our library's purchase of a new set of Grant Guides (we hadn't updated since 2001).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up