Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SURLY DISH MAN  (Read 20970 times)

Michael

Re:THE SURLY DISH MAN
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2003, 07:36:54 PM »

Well, our restaurant is closing down for reconstruction following New Year's Eve, so today I'm starting the efforts of reconstructing, resurrecting, redesigning and otherwise adding a TRADING SPACES/WHILE YOU WERE OUT kind of improvement to my digs.
Oh, yes, there will be curtained walls, possibly plywood ceilings, more carpeting (and less, far less CLUTTER).
I'm going for a lupine theme, with tons of wolf posters, cards and photographs adorning the wall space.
My cousin found some discounted fabric at WalMart yesterday which is a rich brown with wolves on it, which shall be used for the walls of curtain. . .
Once I get the clutter of the outer-office cleared, I shall scan a few of my wolf calender photos and start making home-made posters of the best shots. . .

Well so am I. But not going the lupine theme. The furniture will come first January 3rd and then a little later the walls will be repainted and the carpet changed to a combination of tiles and carpet. The clothes closet will also be done over. I am looking forward to seeing the change.

Below is the new bedroom furniture. (To come is a new desk)
Never stop dreaming.

Jed

« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2003, 07:49:44 PM »

I ended up helping out with some home improvements earlier today myself.  My MBHIEW's (that's most beautiful hairdresser in eastern Washington, in internet lingo) also beautiful sister (see the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come pic early in today's posts), Briar, is painting her living room.  Tired of the white walls that were there when she moved in a few months ago, and using some foam stencil rollers to create a nice textured effect with 2 shades of green.  Turning out quite well.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2003, 08:17:38 PM »

I roasted my Christmas turkey on Friday, the first day this week I didn't have something else planned away from home, and I'm still eating off it. I'm guessing there are at least two more meals for me off of this turkey breast.

I watched KISS ME, STUPID tonight. Not one of Billy Wilder's greatest achievements.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2003, 08:24:50 PM »

My, we've slowed down to a crawl, hazn't we?  Perhaps we'll hit our new low this very evening, although we are not so far from at least tying our old low.  

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2003, 08:39:45 PM »

BK talking about REAR WINDOW reminded me that I've been meaning to take out NORTH BY NORTHWEST and give it a spin very soon. I haven't watched it since I got the new TV, and I'll bet it will look stunning on it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2003, 08:54:34 PM »

Good evening!

Good shows today.  Guenevere still out, but her understudy did a wonderful job - again.  *And her family was able to get walked into the show today too!  AND they brought a box of those yummilicious chocolate-caramel-candy-covered apples.   I took one home for my nephew.  And the orchestrator also gave me a Trader Joe's Key Lime Cheese Cake.  What timing?!?!?  I'm back "on the wagon".  Luckily, the cheesecake freezes well, and I'll save it for sometime in mid-January - I hope. ;)

-Now if I can just get my throat to stop feeling so icky.  It's kind of a dull soreness from all the post-nasal drip I've been having the past few days.  Just annoying, and I think I figured out the cause of said malady - the set!  Around the "moat", the walls are lined with tree branches... real tree branches.  Well, we're seven weeks into the run, and I'm guessing the branches are starting to decay real good.  I had a similar reaction when I did a production of Into the Woods.  Hopefull, this time I won't have to be rushed to the hospital room... twice!  <knock wood>

-I'm sure I'll be all right.. Just as long as there are no willow branches in those brambles.  It's just annoying.  -And other people in the pit are also getting sneezy, so...

DR TCB - Hmm... I'd make a comment about your comment, but your comment did make me laugh out loud, so I'll leave it at that.  But do you think the Lincolns would have liked Oliver?

DR Jason - Welcome home!  Any DVDs and/or CDs waiting for you upon your arrival?

DR Jennifer - Maybe he does need a good ole punch! ;)

DR Panni - Sorry about your loss.  Even the distant relatives seem closer at times like this.

DR Ann - Sunburn?!?!?  Family strife?!?!? -Well, like you said, you're still in Hawaii...

To the soon-to-be travelling Canadian contingent...  I wish you very safe and no-hassle travels.  -And don't forget to bring clean underwear!

Well, I start my new show in the morning - well at noon, so...  And I really hope when I wake up my throat feels better... At least it's just my throat.  The rest of me feels fine.  (_Fill in your own innuendo-laced punchline here.._)

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2003, 08:56:38 PM »

North by NW is a great DVD.  Rear Window is pretty good in terms of transfer, although the restoration is less-than-thrilling in my opinion (IMO, in Internet lingo).  But, according to the boys, they did what they could.  As a film, it is one of the greats.  Also, watched Peter Brooks' film of Lord of the Flies, which remains a very strong piece of work.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2003, 09:01:16 PM »

DR Son  Jay --   Such a good boy to listen to me !!

Yes, you really will be glad to have nice pics of Roller and Blackjack, later on someday.  And we will all enjoy seeing them now.  

When you get your prints back (I'm assuming you'll use a film camera) just take the ones you like to a Kinko's.  They will scan them for you for a reasonable price, and give the jpeg files back to you on either a floppy disc or a CD-ROM.  Tell them that you want the finished picture size to be only about  2 1/2 by 3 1/3 inches, and under 200K in file size.

Then you can just transfer them to your desktop, and attach away.  

I had a wonderful picture of Mazal in a pretty frame, and I was able to keep it and a candle out on the living room table for a week for her shiva.  It gave me a melancholy but very warm feeling each time I passed it or sat down by it for a minute.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2003, 09:02:43 PM »

I sure agree about REAR WINDOW being one of the greats. In fact, when we had our Hitchcock poll some months ago, I remember picking it as my favorite. It still is. I was so delighted RW was done with an anamorphic widescreen transfer that I will not complain about the transfer.

I wonder why Universal hasn't gone back and remastered VERTIGO and PSYCHO to make them anamorphic to go with the rest of their Hitchcock collection discs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2003, 09:03:54 PM »

Yes, a photo would be nice - let's see what I've got up my sleeve.

Why it's me, reading from a certain book at a certain book signing.

MusicGuy

« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2003, 09:04:07 PM »

;D   :D   :o   :)    8)   ;D

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]WELCOME HOME DEAR JASON !!![/move]

:o   :D   ;)   :)  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2003, 09:05:17 PM »

The French region 2 Vertigo IS anamorphic - same transfer, though, which does need to be redone because the way transfers are done is so improved from back then.

MusicGuy

« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2003, 09:05:53 PM »

YeGods  BK  --

That looks like a chocolate bundt cake sitting in front of you in that lovely picture.....

I"M HUNGRY !!!

Emily

« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2003, 09:08:18 PM »

Was I the only person who laughed at the fact that the chocolate cake on the table in bk's photo is more in focus than bk himself?

I want to meet that photographer!  Clearly we have similar tastes... not to say that BK ain't delish himself! ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

MusicGuy

« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2003, 09:10:50 PM »

DR Emily --     It was probably some form of European avant-garde photography.  Although the esteemed and guapo BK does deserve a better focus-puller than he got that day.

Oh, to get good help............

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2003, 09:11:15 PM »

That photographer is a Hainsie/Kimlet.  The bundt cake was rather delicious as I recall.  That signing was for the first book.  For the second book there was no bundt cake but we did have a chocolate Parisienne cake.

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2003, 09:12:24 PM »

I am so disgusted with myself. The host of last night's party sent me home with a sack full of candy, and I dove into it tonight, and now I feel guilty and disappointed that I couldn't resist it.

Talking about all these Hitchcock films makes me think that a marathon might be on the way for me come New Year's Eve or New Year's Day.

MusicGuy

« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2003, 09:14:19 PM »

Dear BK --    For the promise of really good bundt cake, I'd work one of your signings for nothing!  

Sometime when I'm in L.A., I have to try this Parisienne cake that I have heard you laud......I don't think I've ever had it.

Time for beddy bye..........night all.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2003, 09:16:23 PM »

Past midnight on the East Coast, so I'm off to bed as well. Hope everyone has a good rest of the evening. Be back bright and early tomorrow.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2003, 09:16:25 PM »

I've been watching the region 2 Vertigo on my new portable player in the bedroom.  I got it on eBay, but when it arrived it was a Region 1 player only.  I wrote the seller and he agreed he'd replace it in a few weeks.  Meanwhile, on a DVD ng there was a thread asking for a hack to reset the region code on some player.  Someone posted a hack website, I visited it, typed in the name of my player and there was a very simple procedure to reset my portable to play all regions - it literally took me thirty seconds using the remote of the player.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2003, 09:17:39 PM »

Everyone goes to bed so damnably early here.  I, myself, got stood up tonight, so I may have to run out and get something else to eat - I've only had the Taco Bell stuff and that was at one.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2003, 09:35:41 PM »

Fear not, dear bk.  It's only 7:30 in these here parts...so bed will not be for a while.  Not that I have anything particularly interesting to post, but I shall post nonetheless!  Who decided it was okay to run three words together and call it one?  Pure laziness, I say.

On an unrelated note, this family has a little music player plugged into their Christmas tree that makes the lights blink in rhythm to whatever Christmas song is playing.  Never seen such a thing, has anyone else?  Is it very Scrooge-like to have fantasies about smashing a Christmas tree that constantly squeaks out christmas songs?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 09:36:57 PM by Ann »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2003, 09:38:22 PM »

That photographer is a Hainsie/Kimlet.  The bundt cake was rather delicious as I recall.  That signing was for the first book.  For the second book there was no bundt cake but we did have a chocolate Parisienne cake.
In fact, that photographer is also the mate of a Hainsie/Kimlet!  (I've got to pester him about getting the newest pics of Buster and Bonnie up for everyone to enjoy.  They're GROWING!)

And, yes, the bundt cake was delish!

BK, just how many couples are there among the Haisie/Kimlets, do you have any idea?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2003, 09:39:33 PM »

DR Son  Jay --   Such a good boy to listen to me !!

Yes, you really will be glad to have nice pics of Roller and Blackjack, later on someday.  And we will all enjoy seeing them now.  

When you get your prints back (I'm assuming you'll use a film camera) just take the ones you like to a Kinko's.  They will scan them for you for a reasonable price, and give the jpeg files back to you on either a floppy disc or a CD-ROM.  Tell them that you want the finished picture size to be only about  2 1/2 by 3 1/3 inches, and under 200K in file size.

Then you can just transfer them to your desktop, and attach away.  

I had a wonderful picture of Mazal in a pretty frame, and I was able to keep it and a candle out on the living room table for a week for her shiva.  It gave me a melancholy but very warm feeling each time I passed it or sat down by it for a minute.

Thank you.  And thank you, if you catch my drift.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2003, 09:45:57 PM »

LOTR: TROTK.  Can I just say WOW! :o It's was pretty damn good.  Only a couple of times did I feel like I was watching "special effects" and those were usually small elements of a larger view.  It all came together very well.  It was very long (as long as "Titanic") but it never felt long.  Now if Peter Jackson would do "The Hobbit," the whole story could be made with one vision and be in the same style...one complete story.

After that we went to a restaurant called Casa Mia.  I had a salad and manicotti, which was a little too hot at first (not a fast food place :D), but very good. :) When I got home, I had the left-over doughnut that I got at Krispy Kreme yesterday.  Even a day old Krispy Kreme (heated in the microwave at 50% power for 7 seconds, a few moments of rest, then another jolt of 50% power for 7 seconds) is still a very good doughnut. :-*
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 09:47:08 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Andrea

« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2003, 09:49:31 PM »

Thank you DR Jose, for the safe travel wishes!

DR Jason, will you be Joining us at our Golddiggers eating fiesta on tuesday? I hope Maya sent you the email.

Proof that garborators exist in Montreal-- After a lovely pasta dinner with my dear friend Rachel, as I tried to put the scraps into the garbage, she told me, don't worry, we have a garborator! Amazing!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2003, 09:58:54 PM »

Hmmm...Vertigo....

According to one of the appendices in Auiler's Vertigo: The Making of a Hitchcock Classic, said classic was filmed in VistaVision, a process which didn't use an anamorphic lens.  Instead, VistaVision used 35mm stock, and ran said stock through the camera horizontally rather than vertically.  

However, Paramont's records say that the film was never shown in theaters using the true VistaVision format (in other words, threaded through the projector horizontally).  This means that prints of the film were either reduced to regular 35mm prints, or reformatted as anamorphic prints.

The restoration of Vertigo in 1996 was released as both a 70mm print (in major cities), and in 35mm (in smaller cities that didn't have 70mm projectors handy).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2003, 10:07:10 PM »

Okay, because my mind thinks this way (and it's not a bad thing) does anyone (else) who has seen "The Return of the King" feel that Pippin and Merry end up as a couple?? ::) Especially in the scene after all the fighting when one (I forget which) says to the injured one, "I'll take care of you!" and then Sam is the only one who talks about getting married.  I just thought, even though it's really not about that, that it was a sweet moment between the two and I chose to interpret it on a different level.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2003, 10:08:23 PM »

Hello everybody. I don't have anything to say except this:

I'm siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Tomovoz

« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2003, 10:17:05 PM »

Not good news Sandra. I hope you are soon fit and well enough to partake of New Year's Eve activities. Good vibes on the way from Oz.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up