Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SURLY DISH MAN  (Read 20845 times)

Jed

Re:THE SURLY DISH MAN
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2003, 12:40:34 PM »

Emily - Thanks for the history lesson, but this "College Bowl" of which we speak (in spite of my excessive football viewing habits) was an academic quiz show.  I captained our team in a similar show called "Apple Bowl" on a local PBS affiliate for 3 years in high school.  Finished in the top 3 each year, but never did win the blasted thing!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Andrea

« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2003, 12:46:25 PM »

DR Jennifer: Chocolate. And if it's a man causing you to cry, wash him outa your hair.  However, if it's a loved one you are worried about, then we'll all send our HHW vibes.

DR Jennifer-- if it is a man, the best cure is always another man! Just give me the name and number and I'll get the estonian mafia on it, right away!

Tomovoz

« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2003, 01:09:10 PM »

No insult intended Jed. I am about to leave you alone at HHW. At least you have the football!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Andrea

« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2003, 01:23:36 PM »

Emily - Thanks for the history lesson, but this "College Bowl" of which we speak (in spite of my excessive football viewing habits) was an academic quiz show.  I captained our team in a similar show called "Apple Bowl" on a local PBS affiliate for 3 years in high school.  Finished in the top 3 each year, but never did win the blasted thing!

McGill has an academic quiz group? Wow.. the things you never learn about your school.

New York weather check is looking beautiful and I'll make sure Maya celebrates her birthday the way it's supposed to be celebrated.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: December 28, 2003, 01:44:33 PM »

Maybe I will access the Internet via the sattelite, if such things are possible.

Darling daughter just left about which more later, as soon as I eat something.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: December 28, 2003, 01:49:49 PM »

I've spent a leisurely afternoon first listening to WICKED as I cooked my dinner (which I continue to enjoy more and more as I get more familiar with the music), and then watching the three BOOMTOWN episodes which I recorded last night while I was out. I am going to miss that show TERRIBLY. So intelligently written and so well put together. Shabbily treated by NBC from the beginning. The final episode comes on tonight at 10 which I will definitely be watching.

Before then, I'll have to find a DVD I want to watch. I did do the BRIGADOON sync-up this morning, and the sound on the laserdisc was definitely superior to the more muted sound on the DVD. The DVD is visually a tad sharper and more vibrant in color.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: December 28, 2003, 01:52:00 PM »

I meant to mention that Steven Suskin reviews WICKED (not particularly positive) at Playbill-on-Line today. Those fans of the show/CD might want to read his thoughts on the music and career of its composer.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2003, 01:52:04 PM »

DR Panni: Your story made me cry more!  But how lovely that your cousin got to enjoy your flowers. That part made me smile. My condolences to you and your family.

Jennifer...don't cry, eat your Peanut Butter M&Ms, that will make the world right!

Yes I think it would make me feel better. But they have so many carbs! My gut reaction is always to eat. But for some reason I have eaten almost nothing today. I must be sick!

Later I will probably eat some atkins chocolate. It will make me feel better and with no carbs.

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2003, 01:57:33 PM »

Jennifer: In my experience Chocolate, Tea & HHW helps us get through most things. Keep smiling when you can. (I think peanut butter anything would make me cry!). And don't listen to any M & M!

Thanks. I don't like tea very much. Normally I would devour chocolate. But besides the M+Ms, which I know if i open i will eat them all, I have no chocolate. Although I have lots of homemade cookies. But I don't even feel like eating them.

I spent the last 3 1/2 hours trying to talk things out so I would feel better.  But he knows every button to push, both good and bad.  And I am so torn.

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2003, 02:02:46 PM »

DR Jennifer-- if it is a man, the best cure is always another man! Just give me the name and number and I'll get the estonian mafia on it, right away!

Oh if you only knew how long I've been hung up on this guy, you would hurt me.  And he knows how much I care, and he uses it to his advantage.

I just don't know what to do.  If he does what he says he is going to do, I don't want to talk to him again ever. He says if I don't talk to him again then it just proves that I don't love him as much as I say I do (gotta love that logic).

He didn't even want to talk things out (I need to process everything). But I tricked him into it!

DR Andrea: I don't think McGill has a quiz club. I think that is what DR Jed was saying. DR Emily was talking about one thing when she said McGill invented college bowl.  But Jed was talking about an academic quiz when he said college bowl.

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2003, 02:05:26 PM »

DR Jennifer: Chocolate. And if it's a man causing you to cry, wash him outa your hair.  However, if it's a loved one you are worried about, then we'll all send our HHW vibes.

What am I doing today? I'm afraid if I posted about my day, the energy from all the excitement would simply overwhelm and shut down the internet as we know it.

Oh do tell us!

But what if the man in your life is a loved one?

I think I just need to back away. Otherwise I will make myself crazy. I just hate doing it on New Year's Eve week, since that is one of my favorite nights of the year (and he knows it).

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2003, 02:08:19 PM »

Jennifer, just from what you are saying today, it sounds as if you need to find a way to give this guy up.  If I can be of any help, please feel free to email me.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2003, 02:16:49 PM »

DR Jed--   I also like your new "artistic / enhanced" photo that you have...........It comes off looking a little like an oompah loompah with purple legs.    ;)
LOL!!!!!!  Thanks, I needed that.  On a related note, we found that movie on TV on Christmas day, ended up watching most of it.  And to DR Jed, we found it right at the beginning of I Want It Now...I had to smile :)
Things are well in Hawaii.  We had a lightining storm last night, that was great fun.  I haven't seen one of those in years.  The sunburn on my back is starting to itch like all get out.  I'm resisting the temptation to use a garden rake on it.  
We went out for breakfast this morning...and I think it was the most excruciating meal I've ever sat through, with the exception of senior prom.  Tiana is ready to kill her mother as it is, and they had a huge fight last night about Tiana going to New Jersey to see her new boyfriend.  It ended badly, and Ti spent the meal sulking, her mother spent it trying to make polite coversation whilist Ti glared at her, her brother and father spent it eating silently, and I spent it wishing I were just about anywhere else.   I hate being in the middle of family drama, and Tiana, although I love her dearly, is a bit of a brat around her mother...and I'm getting a bit sick of it.  
But enough complaining...I'm in Hawaii, right?  Nothing to complain about.  

William E. Lurie

« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2003, 02:21:02 PM »

BK---
Sorry about your sattelite problems.  Maybe someone asked you this already, but will you be getting the local LA channels?  Although they come as part of a cable package, with sattelite they are extra.  Also, does LA still have the wonderful Channel Z? when I lived there in the early 80s it was the best channel there was.

If Oscars mean anything in terms of artistry and not just a gift to large grossing films, then FINDING NEMO will not be getting the Best Animated Film.  It will go to THE TRIPLETTS OF BELLVILLE, an adult (not in the prono sense of the word) animated film that is a co-production of three or four different countries.  It was so praised in reviews that I thought it might be a letdown, but was not in any way.  Great animation, wonderful music and an unusual but funny story combined into a film that is an absolute delight.  I urge all DRs to see this wonderful film.  I intend to see it again to catch all the detail I missed and look forward to the DVD where the still function will be used more than any in film I can recall.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: December 28, 2003, 02:33:34 PM »

Jennifer, just from what you are saying today, it sounds as if you need to find a way to give this guy up.  If I can be of any help, please feel free to email me.

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know if I can give him up.  He is one of the most important people to me and has been for many years. I just don't think he realizes what he has. And I'm not sure how to make him realize it.

What I would like to do is punch him :)

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2003, 02:36:13 PM »

I am going now. I'm not sure I will log on again today. Although writing things out helps me greatly. I often write myself journal entries on line. ANd it helps a lot. Does anyone else do this?

Jed

« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2003, 02:42:08 PM »

DR Andrea: I don't think McGill has a quiz club. I think that is what DR Jed was saying. DR Emily was talking about one thing when she said McGill invented college bowl.  But Jed was talking about an academic quiz when he said college bowl.

Actually, McGill did have a team for the academic quiz show that was College Bowl.  According to collegebowl.com, McGill was represented on show #280, October 23, 1966, losing to the University of Oklahoma 225-95.

DR Ann - My sis and I also stumbled on Willy Wonka on TV Christmas night, but sadly it was just AFTER "I Want It Now."

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2003, 02:42:35 PM »

I think it was the NY FIlm Critics Circle that voted THE TRIPLETS OF BELLVILLE best animated film in their recent awards announcement.

Jed

« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2003, 02:43:35 PM »

Must now be off to see the most beautiful hairdresser in eastern Washington.  Back later!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2003, 02:56:27 PM »

Yes, the LA channels are part of the package.  Z Channel bit the dust by 1985.  Darling daughter and her ever-lovin' hubs, and my ex-mother-in-law all had a swellegant visit.  My daughter gave me a great gift - a stop watch with a lovely inscription on the back.  This will make perfect sense after you've read Kritzer Time.  My ex MIL is a huge fan of the first two Kritzer books and has given them as gifts and lent them to her friends to read.  One such friend is the mother of someone who, as it turns out, went to school with me - she gave it to her daughter and the daughter loved it.  I asked who the daughter was to see if I remembered her, and my ex MIL said I should because I won a drama contest with her that took place at UCLA.  Well, blow me over with a caramel, but that girl, as well as the drama festival event, is portrayed in the new book.  I can't wait for her to read it - I actually used a name very close to her own (her real first name, and then a different final syllable on her last name).  Isn't it a small world?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2003, 02:58:12 PM »

I am roasting a turkey.

I'd have roasted the turkey for Christmas, but der Brucer's daughter made us come over to her place to eat roast beef.  I am therefor roasting the turkey now.

My life is so thrilling.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2003, 03:04:26 PM »

Trying to decide on a DVD to watch - always daunting, daunting, do you hear me?

Jane

« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2003, 03:11:35 PM »

One such friend is the mother of someone who, as it turns out, went to school with me -

Do I know her?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2003, 03:14:59 PM »

I just read the "review" by Suskin of the Wicked CD.  I'm less than impressed.  Two thirds of the review were given to dissing Schwartz's career, and then he finally gives a little attention to the CD itself.  The end result is a review that exposes more about the reviewer than the CD.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2003, 03:23:20 PM »

Suskin is the nadir of the online "reviewers" - there is no one worse.  He is totally about himself and trumpeting his "knowledge".  I had him write liner notes for the first LIB, and in those days Varese's policy was not to pay for liner notes.  Not MY policy, mind you, but theirs.  Suskin has blamed me ever since and on the few occasions he ever deigned to review any of my albums he a) didn't mention me if he happened to like them (rare) or, more likely, b) just either dismissed them casually or was totally off-the-wall negative.  

He is just the worst kind of writer - so full of himself - I mean, he makes Mandelbaum look reasonable.  And I don't say any of this because of his infantile behavior towards my work - it's clearly there in every "review" he's ever written.  But, he does get a lot of free CDs, so there you are.

Jane: Shelley Rosenfield - don't know if you remember her or not.  My class - she was in Skin of our Teeth with me, among other shows.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2003, 03:32:43 PM »

Maybe I will access the Internet via the sattelite, if such things are possible.

Yes it is possible.  We have a satellite internet connection since we cannot get DSL or cable here.  It beats dial up but tends to be quirky.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2003, 03:35:47 PM »

I, too, did Skin of Our Teeth in school, playing, if I recall, bicuspid epidermis.

Now, we're in Phoenix - with internet access even more limited than it was in L.A.  I may be able to check in on Wednesday, but I'm most sorry that I don't have time to read all the posts.

If people are buying Our Wedding - The Musical and enjoying it, I wouldn't know.  So out of touch am I.

www.WeddingMusical.com
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2003, 03:39:33 PM »

Shelly's name is vaguely familiar and I do remember the play.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2003, 03:41:01 PM »

My turkey is roasted!

This is definately another reason to like the Polder Digital Probe Thermometer: it beeped me when the temperature was right.  Meanwhile, the damned pop-up thingy hasn't popped.  Pop-ups should be left to books.

Meanwhile, I've had the giblets brewing in a pan, making instant stock (the turkey carcass will be used for making real stock later), the better to make gravy with, and I've got some potatoes and celery root cooking in another pan, with my potato ricer in the waiting.  I figure a nice salad of bell peppers (red and green) and cucumber should add some interesting color to the plate, along with some crunch.  And, of course, we've got a can of cranberry jelly chilling in the 'fridge.

If der Brucer tells me he's not really hungry tonight, he's gonna be in trouble!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2003, 03:41:02 PM »

I played Mr. Antrobus, Shelley played my wife.  One of the dinosaurs was played by Beverly Gray, who I'm still friendly with (she wrote the bios of Roger Corman and Ron Howard), and who helped me make sense of some things I was hazy on for the new book.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up