Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SURLY DISH MAN  (Read 20851 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SURLY DISH MAN
« on: December 28, 2003, 12:02:08 AM »

Well, you know the routine - notes read, posts ready to go.  Let's have some good topics today - I'm rarin' to go.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 12:08:39 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:THE SURLY DISH MAN
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 12:17:58 AM »

I don't think there have been any responses to Jed's question about "Children Of Eden". Maybe no-one has seen a production of it. One of our non professional Melbourne groups hopes to mount a production in April 2004. I have seen productions of "The Baker's Wife", "Rags" , "Working" and of course "Magic Show", "Pippin" and "Godspell". perhaps we should all try to get to Washington this coming year to see "Children Of Eden".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 12:20:04 AM »

I don't think there have been any responses to Jed's question about "Children Of Eden". Maybe no-one has seen a production of it. One of our non professional Melbourne groups hopes to mount a production in April 2004. I have seen productions of "The Baker's Wife", "Rags" , "Working" and of course "Magic Show", "Pippin" and "Godspell". perhaps we should all try to get to Washington this coming year to see "Children Of Eden".

No thanks.  I don't like the show.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 12:25:42 AM »

There you are Jed. Someone does know it.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2003, 12:32:26 AM »

Well, my second wind is now gone with the wind so perhaps I'll get to bed.  What a lovely day of posts we had on Saturday.  Can't wait for some lovely topics.

Jed

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2003, 12:33:10 AM »

Re: Children of Eden - The Barnes & Noble gift certificate was put to use this evening, and both the Children of Eden and Wicked CDs will be on their/there/they're merry/marry/Mary way/weigh/whey very soon.

I have another busy busy day of lounging about watching football tomorrow.  How I do enjoy the last weekends of December and most of January when I can watch NFL football on Saturday as well as Sunday. :D  Watched 3 games today and will most likely do the same tomorrow.  

Will also see if my dear friend Kailen is available to cut my hair tomorrow (well, today now, I guess) or Monday.  Always nice to have a friend who does hair, so as not to have to deal with business hours and inflated prices and such.  Plus, I get the bonus of having undoubtedly the most beautiful hairdresser in eastern Washington. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003, 12:35:34 AM »

BK, having had my own row with satellite and cable folks over the years, I commisserate with you.  However, I must tell you since Adelphia went digital and they arrested the old geezer and one or two of his sons who used to own it, I've had very few problems with my cable service and really enjoy digital cable.

I'm now having problems with my scanner.  The equipment, I think, is fine...but at one point I had to unplug everything from the surge protector and it hasn't work since.  I'm just so tired of this crap.  I'll probably get an expert out to deal with it, I just don't want to spend the time...re-reading instructions, installing and uninstalling.  While I'm at it, I oughta get someone to explain my damned CD recorder as well. Technology is a bitch.  I'm going back to an inkwell and and quill.

The lovely wife, Julieanne, and I went to see BIG FISH tonight.  I enjoyed it very much.  Jessica Lange may be one of the best damned actresses working...she doesn't have a lot to do, but does it so well.  And Albert Finney is always joy.

Jed

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2003, 12:36:35 AM »

Quote from Tomovoz
perhaps we should all try to get to Washington this coming year to see "Children Of Eden".
No thanks.  I don't like the show.

May well turn out I don't either, but I've vocal directed shows I don't like in the past (*cough*SevenBridesforSevenBrothers*cough*).

Jed

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2003, 01:09:42 AM »

And here is a pic of my aforementioned most beautiful hairdresser in eastern Washington playing Belle in our recently finished production of A Christmas Carol.

Jed

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2003, 01:12:16 AM »

And her also beautiful sister (just not so much in this picture), as the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come.

I figure we get enough beefcake pics around here, it's time for me to provide some of my own scenery. :D

Michael

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2003, 04:28:20 AM »

[size=15][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday Dear Reader Maya[/move][/size]
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 04:34:23 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2003, 04:41:36 AM »

I am re-posting my late night post from yesterday in case people missed it (The one that Jed and Tom liked) It is a apropriate considering today's BK notes.

A Satellite On the Roof

A Satellite on the roof
Sounds Crazy, no?
But in our little town of Studio City
Everyone has a Satellite on the roof
Trying to get decent reception
Without craning one's neck

You may ask
Why do we want a Satellite when there's cable?
We want satellite because it has hi-def
And how to we get to watch all our programs?

That I can tell you in one word:
RECEPTION!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2003, 05:01:34 AM »

Not crazy about musicals based on The Book of Genesis from the Old Testament. They don't work. You know the outcome and their are no surprises.

Athough some good songs do come out of them. Here are some Genesis musicals that in my opnion didn't work. (at least these are the ones I remember off the top of my head)

Act One Only
Which was rewritten in English as Beyond the Rainbow with lyrics by Leslie Bricusse

and

which was also know as One, Two, Three, Four, Five when I saw it at the Manhatten Theater Club when it had a book by Larry Gelbart.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 06:33:10 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2003, 05:17:24 AM »

Just heard that film and stage actor Alan Bates has passed away at the age of 69.

(This  picture just went up as I was posting info for the next few posts)

The AP news story link

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031228/ap_on_en_mo/obit_bates_5

Link to the Alan Bates Archive website that I got all the pictures for the next few post from

http://www.ffolio.com/
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 08:32:36 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2003, 07:20:11 AM »

Widescreen alert! :)

Hey I just checked the calendar, and it is Maya's b-day tomorrow. Will she be gone on her Hussies take Manhattan tour by then? :)

Happy pre-birthday DR Maya!

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2003, 07:25:24 AM »

Good morning esteemed, lolling, erudite, dish-deprived, and vixen-like BK --

Hopefully, next weekend will go much more smoothly and you won't have to deal with an odiferous cretin!

OK, OK, you got me......I have to ask.....I tried looking it up on the net, and had no luck What, in heavens name, is a xebu ?? ???

You watch your phraseology....!!

MusicGuy

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2003, 07:32:43 AM »

DR Jed --  You are one funny and twisted straight man, my friend !!  You come up with some of the most colorful, tongue-in-cheek references to various comments on this here board (and they are always appreciated)........and then you reveal the shocking depth of just how far a metrosexual can go astray by letting us know that you lay (lie?) on the couch and watch consecutive NFL games on TV !!

Please bubbie please, ....tell us that you don't go and eat dinner at Hooter's, or anything unseemly like that.  However, I do agree that you should have visual and pictorial treats posted here also.  In fact, I was actually searching through my picture archives yesterday to try to find you a nice curvy picture that you would like for "macaroni & chest" day.   I know this will probably surprise you, but I couldn't come up with one!!  Sorry....there must be a missing gene on my hard drive.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 07:33:23 AM by MusicGuy »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2003, 07:35:35 AM »

Maya:  Happy birthday, sweetie pie!

Sorry to read about Alan Bates.  He has been a favorite since "Georgy Girl."  Loved him in "Far From the Madding Crowd" and "Women in Love."

Hope everyone is doing fine.

BK:  Sorry to read about the misadventures of the surly man -- reminded me of my flirtation with digital cable when it first came on the scene...and they arrived to inform me that I had to have a telephone jack so they could install a box that would allow me to have PayPerView which, despite my protests that I had no desire for PayPerView, was a requirement at the time.  They wanted to "snake" the cable from my bedroom to the living room....using a staple gun!  As a renter, I had to refuse.  As a rational man, I had to be outraged.  

Have a great Sunday, everyone!

MusicGuy

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2003, 07:35:53 AM »

DR Jed--   I also like your new "artistic / enhanced" photo that you have...........It comes off looking a little like an oompah loompah with purple legs.    ;)

MusicGuy

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2003, 07:37:26 AM »

I must away from the cookie jar for now.  Work must be done so that dollars appear from the heavens...

TTFN....

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2003, 07:51:01 AM »

DR Michael, your Alan Bates picture not only turned the forum into a Cinemascope extravaganza, but it made it endless to load for those of us with dial-up connections.

I am sorry about Alan Bates. He was a marvelous actor (loved him in AN UNMARRIED WOMAN) and, of course, for the nude wrestling scene in WOMEN IN LOVE, he should have been made immortal.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2003, 07:53:57 AM »

About CHILDREN OF EDEN, I also am not a fan. The book is pretty weak, and overall I found TWO BY TWO a much more entertaining take on Noah than CHILDREN OF EDEN's second act.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2003, 08:34:29 AM »

DR Michael, your Alan Bates picture not only turned the forum into a Cinemascope extravaganza, but it made it endless to load for those of us with dial-up connections.

I am sorry about Alan Bates. He was a marvelous actor (loved him in AN UNMARRIED WOMAN) and, of course, for the nude wrestling scene in WOMEN IN LOVE, he should have been made immortal.

I am not sure what you are talking about............
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 08:34:41 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2003, 08:36:33 AM »

I'm so sad about Alan Bates.   :'(

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2003, 08:43:59 AM »

Good morning!

I'm going to try not to ramble since I don't want to end up running late again today, but I do want to post before I head in for the matinee...

DR Jed - I'm actually a fan of Children of Eden.  Yes, the show and score is far from perfect, but there are some nice moments.  The success of the show lies in the director's concept and staging - otherwise, it can be a long evening in the theatre.  And there is that inherent problem in knowing how the story ends, no surprise for the audience, so...  BUT I do have to say that 1776 still keeps me in suspense - now that's a great book!

Musically, as long as you have good voices, you'll be fine.  And, as I've discovered with many a Stephen Schwartz score, the more high tenors you have, the better.  His pop sound depends a lot on the "at the top of their range" tension.  When I finally did Godspell a few years ago, I found that that was the secret to the voicings - and other "sources" confirmed that for me.  (However, The Baker's Wife choral writing is pretty standard.  *And I'm one of those in the minority who loves that score - and the book, warts and all.)

And depending upon how large your ensemble is, it actually helps them not to develop such a refined "blend" - and we ain't talkin' french roast here.  That extra "shimmer" helps to fill out the sound... at least in my experience.  -Again, back to my Godspell experience - when you have one person per part in 10 part harmony, hearing 10 individual voices instead of one chorus, really made a big - and wonderful - difference for me.

If you can get a hold of the original London recording, I'd say go for it.  But, beware, if you listen to it, you'll probably lament - like myself and others - some of the changes they made when it crossed the pond.  There are some numbers in the London version that are not only better songs, but also work better than their "American" equivalents.

The US cast recording is from the Papermill Playhouse production.  2 discs.  And over-produced... again, in my humble opinion.  ;)  -And I've worked with the conductor/arranger/producer...  It does come across as very slick, and techno-ey.  And the keyboards are really highlighted in the orchestration - which is not a good thing.  However, it is nice to have, more or less, the complete score as it stands now on record, and I do give it a good listen regularly.

I, too, will be venturing into Eden this spring.  I'll be the assistant music director/conductor for the upcoming production at Ford's Theatre in DC.  We start mid-March and run until mid-June.  Nice long run.  And I love working at Ford's not only for the sense of history that surrounds you, but also for the backstage "family" there - great staff, always welcoming.

-In any case, maybe we can compare notes.. literally and figuratively.

*Oh, and for our pit at Ford's, we'll be using: two keyboards, one double reed player (doubling on oboe and English horn), french horn, cello and percussion.  There may be a trumpet or guitar player I'm leaving out, but I'm looking forward to all that "color" that the double reeds, french horn and cello will be providing.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2003, 09:14:05 AM »

Alan Bates  :'(

DRMICHAELSHAYNE your Satellite on the Roof was priceless....  ;D

I am going to offer a suggestion - to Mr BK - who can take it for what it's worth.  At some point in the installation there will have to be communication between someone in front of the television and the person on the roof.  If you don't have some type of two way radio that he can take up there with him - it might be convenient to have a third person there on installation day who can run between the person watching the signals on the screen and the person on the roof aiming the dish.  

There....at least that has been my experience.

Hmmmmmmmmmm....any topic.  Did anyone else have any favorite Sunday shows when they were growing up?

There was Ed Sullivan of course, and Bonanza.  For a time we had Car 54 Where Are You? or Grendl.  I think Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was also on Sunday evenings.

I always started my Sunday viewing early with the GE College Bowl which I thought was the BEST show ever!!!

The host was Allen Ludden and then later Robert Earle.

Here were the MOST exciting weeks for me...when Earlham College in Indiana won four weeks in a row....even beating then President Johnson's alma mater by 350 points!!!

http://www.collegebowl.com/gecollegebowlresultrpt.asp

If you want to see how your alma mater did, check the data base here.

http://www.collegebowl.com/arch/history.asp
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2003, 09:25:57 AM »

Jed, I also am a fan of Children of Eden.  I've had the London cast (vinyl) album since 1995 and then got the Papermill Playhouse CD when it first came out.  I thought that the changes in the American version were improvements.  Not that I'm an expert at analizing shows, but the London second act seemed incomplete.  The American version (and I've seen two different productions and will see a third in the middle of next year) was quite thrilling to me.  So, there you have it...just one more opinion.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2003, 09:32:02 AM »

Today, I'm going to see "Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King." :) The movie starts at 12:15 and we're all going to leave at 10:30! :P I hope that that's enough time to get good seats! :-\ So, have a great day, all! :D Can I add even more smilies ::) and exclamation points to this paragraph?!?!? :o Yes!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2003, 09:45:22 AM »

I am slightly out of it today.  I was again tossing and turning for most of the night. I hate tossing and turning (I am usually a good sleeper who sleeps a lot).

I was actually waiting for someone to call. I hate waiting. Makes me more anxious :)

So what is everyone doing today?

Emily

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2003, 09:58:45 AM »

Good morning!  Good Yawning!

Good Lord - it is almost 1pm EST!  Yikes... I slept in today! :D

Isn't the extreme use of exclamation points considered a sign of mental imbalance?  Gee! ;)

Tomorrow is the official start of the "Goldiggers 2004/Hussies Take Manhatten" Tour (as Jennifer so hilariously coined it) when Andrea and I (and non Hainsie/Kimlet friend Robin) leave Montreal at 10pm.

Anyone wanna start placing bets as how long it will take us to clear customs?   Remember the following intervening variables:

1) CODE ORANGE
2) Tour operator = Abdul
3) Stupid Concordia (rival McGill U) students might not remember passports/birth certificates/may actually be terrorists
4) Customs officers might not be happy around 1am

I am guessing about 18 hours in all...
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up