Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SURLY DISH MAN  (Read 20850 times)

td

• td
Re:THE SURLY DISH MAN
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2003, 10:03:46 AM »

So what is everyone doing today?

Well, our restaurant is closing down for reconstruction following New Year's Eve, so today I'm starting the efforts of reconstructing, resurrecting, redesigning and otherwise adding a TRADING SPACES/WHILE YOU WERE OUT kind of improvement to my digs.
Oh, yes, there will be curtained walls, possibly plywood ceilings, more carpeting (and less, far less CLUTTER).
I'm going for a lupine theme, with tons of wolf posters, cards and photographs adorning the wall space.
My cousin found some discounted fabric at WalMart yesterday which is a rich brown with wolves on it, which shall be used for the walls of curtain. . .
Once I get the clutter of the outer-office cleared, I shall scan a few of my wolf calender photos and start making home-made posters of the best shots. . .

Other than that, I'm listening to WICKED and GYPSY's soundtrack.

Where is Hildi when I need her most? ? ? ?
Although, Evan Farmer can come and play with my power tools anytime he wants to, too.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2003, 10:12:42 AM »

You think I would have missed Maya's birthday?  Hah, I say, and hah again!  

I do not have a two-way radio - my radio's don't swing both ways, although I suppose you could consider the huge 1957 Grundig a four or five-way radio since it is short wave and has many buttons which bring in stations from all over the world.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2003, 10:14:33 AM »

But can you get onto the roof?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2003, 10:17:32 AM »

Uh, wouldn't sending a cell phone up with the guy on the roof solve the problem?  BK could communicate with said person using his land line phone from inside the house.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2003, 10:18:54 AM »

Just finished watching a fun Bollywood movie from 1964 called Aaya Toofan starring India's answer to Steve Reeves, Dara Singh as well as that cute little Helen, who co-starred in Gumnaam! This was an Indian sword and sandal film with big helpings of 7th Voyage of Sinbad, but with Plan 9 from Outer Space special effects! LOL! Too fun!

JRand53, the show I most looked forward to on Sundays when I was a kid was Wonderful World of Disney. In the mornings my younger brother and I would watch DAVEY AND GOLIATH and JOHNNY SOKKO AND HIS FLYING ROBOT.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 10:20:33 AM by MBarnum »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2003, 10:21:39 AM »

I can see the headlines in tomorrow's papers:  

CANADA INVADES U.S.
THEATRE-, MAN-STARVED GIRLS
POSE NEW TERRORIST THREAT
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

td

• td
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2003, 10:23:03 AM »

I found the perfect place to hold the birthday party for our very own papaya:

Let's go and party! ! ! ! !

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2003, 10:28:54 AM »

hehe, Thank you, Jennifer and Ron for the early birthday wishes!  I will still be here on my bday...I don't actually leave for NYC until the 30th.  It will be very nice...my mom and I are going into Georgetown for lunch (at a French restaurant, ooh la la) and a movie.  

I am tres excited about the upcoming Golddigger's trip!

Jose--I will definitely go to see Children of Eden at Ford's!  I like the songs on the Stephen Schwartz album.

I saw ROTK yesterday!  It was incredible...I mean never mind the mind-blowing battle scenes and FX, but it was just so poignant and stirring, and as before, the whole cast was wonderful.  Though it seems that Sean Astin has maybe 5 minutes where he isn't dissolved in tears.  

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2003, 10:29:47 AM »

Hahahah, TD...I wanted a pyramid, but a Mayan temple isn't too bad either!   ;)

LMAO, Jay!  
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 10:31:16 AM by Maya »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2003, 10:46:46 AM »

Whew - I just watched "The Children's Hour."  Shirley and Audrey give stunning performances.  James Garner is very good.  Fay Bainter (AA nomination BSA) is also terrific.  Karen Balkin as Mary and Veronica Cartwright as Mary and Rosalie are very good.  Balkin only has one other credit, and she was over-directed, but has some good scenes.

John Michael Hayes' screenplay is sturdy.  Sometimes I forget, after watching the musicals and the later work....that both MacClaine and Hepburn were such good dramatic actresses.  And I am surprised to find that the roles were originally offered to:  Katharine Hepburn & Doris Day!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2003, 10:50:43 AM »

Alan Bates was a brilliant actor...so many memorable performances.  Some of my favs:  THE GO-BETWEEN; WOMEN IN LOVE; WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND; THE FIXER; FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD....I shall have to watch my DVD of BUTLEY today.  And I believe I have a tape of him in SEPERATE TABLES.

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2003, 11:02:57 AM »

DR Emily: Okay I hate to break this to you.  But if you don't clear customs, they just leave you at the customs terminal (I am not kidding).

I don't see you guys having any trouble (especially if you have your birth certificates and picture id). They check this before you get on the bus.

There are sometimes problems, but it usually from my experience happens on the way back.

Anyhow you will probably just all have to get off the bus, and then go up the customs counters. This takes maybe 20 minutes for the whole bus.  Since you guys are students (bring your McGill id), and since you can tell them why you are going to NYC (tell them which shows) you should have no problem.

Unless you're wearing your Hussies tshirts :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2003, 11:07:23 AM »

“am going to offer a suggestion - to Mr BK - who can take it for what it's worth.  At some point in the installation there will have to be communication between someone in front of the television and the person on the roof.  If you don't have some type of two way radio that he can take up there with him - it might be convenient to have a third person there on installation day who can run between the person watching the signals on the screen and the person on the roof aiming the dish. “

Jrand53, so very true!  We keep a set of “walkie talkies” in the house and use them rather often.  

Bonanza was one of my favorite shows.

George I wish we could see “Lord of the Rings” today.  Keith is too sick to go anywhere.

My all time favorite Alan Bates movie is “Far From the Madding Crowd”.  Probably because I love the story so much, the book was great.  I also like the character is portrayed.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2003, 11:08:16 AM »

I am having a perfectly terrible day.  I am so tired of crying.  Sometimes I wonder if I am wasting my life on this person.

In more cheerful news, apparently the Boxing Day sales were on again yesterday and I got two really nice shirts for $10 ($5 each). Yeah for sales.

And I brought my new pajamas to be shorted (my mom was gonna do it, but for only $6).

Anyhow the guy at this store always gives me a hard time. I like my pants shorter than touching the ground. and I especially like my pjs short.

He asked me what heel slippers i wear. Huh!? These are pajamas. I just wear my socks!

Anyhow gotta go. Hope everyone has a great day.

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2003, 11:14:13 AM »

Jennifer...don't cry, eat your Peanut Butter M&Ms, that will make the world right!

JRAnd53, THE CHILDREN'S HOUR is one of my favorite movies! Audrey and Shirley are wonderful in that film!!

Jane

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2003, 11:14:55 AM »

Bruce are you going to access the internet by the satellite?

Tomovoz

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2003, 11:27:19 AM »

Sad news indeed abour Mr Bates.  He was  a wonderful stage and film actor. "Whistle Down the Wind" to "Gosford Park" - always a master of his craft.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2003, 11:34:18 AM »

Jennifer: In my experience Chocolate, Tea & HHW helps us get through most things. Keep smiling when you can. (I think peanut butter anything would make me cry!). And don't listen to any M & M!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2003, 11:36:06 AM »

Thanks to all for your input on Children of Eden.  The Papermill 2-CD version should arrive here late this week, so I'll be able to form some opinion of my own then.  And hopefully the director will get me a script and some music before too long.

MusicGuy - So happy I can amuse. :D

What am I doing today?  Watching all that football, of course!  Halftime of game #1 at the moment.

Checked the College Bowl archives, and my alma mater was never on the show.  I did notice, however, that Andrea and Emily's school got whomped but good by Oklahoma.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2003, 11:58:42 AM »

And they were exciting contests too, DRJED....  

DRJANE Bonanza is still a favorite of mine.  And the Hallmark Channel has The Big Valley, Rawhide, High Chapparal, AND The Virginian episodes every Saturday!

Jed

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2003, 12:07:31 PM »

Was just looking at our handy-dandy HHW calendar, and saw an entry for January 17 reading "opening night of my new play."  Whose new play would this be?
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

td

• td
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2003, 12:14:12 PM »

Who could possibly forget Bates' brilliant discourse on FIGS in Women in Love?"

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2003, 12:14:30 PM »

So sorry to hear about Alan Bates. I loved him on screen and saw him many times on stage in Canada. He was a splendid RICHARD III in a Stratford, Ontario production directed by my cousin, John Hirsch.

Jane

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2003, 12:14:42 PM »

DRJANE Bonanza is still a favorite of mine.  And the Hallmark Channel has The Big Valley, Rawhide, High Chapparal, AND The Virginian episodes every Saturday!

Not long ago we had the pleasure of watching the first episode of Bonanza.  I don’t believe we had seen that episode since it first aired.  Once in awhile I will watch an episode of The Big Valley.  How lucky for us Barbara Stanwyck decided to do the series.  Now I’m waiting for reruns of The Rebel and  Wanted: Dead or Alive.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2003, 12:19:50 PM »

DR Jennifer: Chocolate. And if it's a man causing you to cry, wash him outa your hair.  However, if it's a loved one you are worried about, then we'll all send our HHW vibes.

What am I doing today? I'm afraid if I posted about my day, the energy from all the excitement would simply overwhelm and shut down the internet as we know it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Emily

« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2003, 12:19:59 PM »

Checked the College Bowl archives, and my alma mater was never on the show.  I did notice, however, that Andrea and Emily's school got whomped but good by Oklahoma.

Interesting... I didn't know Canadian schools participated in the bowl games!  Should I hang my head in shame at the news?  Should I curse Oklahoma for their undeniably dastardly style of play?  Ah... McGill traditions... ;)

But at least McGill helped invent the game!  (Why oh why do I know this stuff?)

Harvard-McGill: 1874

Harvard's funeral for Football Fightum turned out to be premature, to say the least. By 1871, only ten years after the burial, they were playing at Cambridge once more. The Boston Game, developed by the Oneidas, was favored by the Crimson for its class games. This, remember, was a combination of both soccer and rugby. The emphasis seems to have been on kicking, but the ball could be caught and run if the catcher was pursued. That made it just different enough to cut off Harvard from competition with other schools, all of whom played the strict kicking game.

When the invitation came to attend the 1873 meeting, Harvard had a tough decision to make: should they keep running by themselves or kick with the pack?

They decided to stay home and keep running. Some people have called it the most momentous decision in the history of American football. Some people exaggerate. Football lends itself to hyperbole -- the greatest, the best, the most, etc. Harvard's decision was important. Let it go at that.

The reason it was important is that Harvard began to look high and low for someone to play their precious Boston Game against. No other U.S. school would touch it.

Finally, in the spring of 1874, McGill University of Montreal, Canada, issued a challenge to the Crimson. Captain Harry Grant happily accepted. It turned out Harvard got more than it bargained for. McGill agreed to come to Cambridge for a session of Boston Game if Harvard would then have a go at a game by McGill's rules. McGill played rugby. The two teams met on May 14. Played under Harvard's rules, the game was such a rout they called it off after only 22 minutes with the home team in front 3-0.

"Just wait until tomorrow when we play rugby!" warned the McGill men.

The Harvard team laughed, but when the McGill players were out of earshot they asked each other nervously, "What's a rugby?"

Years later, a member of the Harvard class of 1874 said, "There were many points of difference [in the Boston Game] from the Rugby game. It was eminently a kicking, as distinguished from a running and tackling, game. The rules ... existed only in tradition. We went to work to learn the Rugby game, but I should question if there were three men in college who had ever seen the egg-shaped ball. A drop kick was an unknown and incredible feat, and the intricacies of `off side,' `free kick,' `put out,' and such commonplaces of the game seemed inextricable mysteries to novices like us."

The game played the next day, May 15, was the first rugby game on U.S. soil. Harvard acquitted itself very well and struggled to a scoreless tie. More importantly, they fell head over heels in love with rugby and all thoughts of the once-cherished Boston Game disappeared. Harvard couldn't wait until the next fall. When it came, they raced up to Montreal to play some more rugby. In addition to kicked goals, the Canadian version of the game allowed touchdowns to count in the scoring. Harvard scored three of them to win.

Flushed with success, the Crimson came home and, the next year, challenged Yale to a rugby match. The sons of Eli thought it over and decided it might be fun. The two schools scheduled a game for November 13, at Hamilton Park in New Haven, to be played under what were called the "Concessionary Rules". These had nothing to do with selling beer, hot dogs, or crackerjacks, but were instead a special set of rules agreed to in which each side gave up a little.

Harvard sacrificed counting touchdowns in the scoring. The only thing a TD gained was the right to try for a goal. Yale agreed to play with 15 men instead of the eleven they preferred. They had been won over to the smaller group two years earlier when they played soccer against a traveling team of eleven Englishmen from Eton. Yale found it made for a more open, exciting game. From then on they kept pushing for eleven on a side until everybody was sick to death from hearing about it. For Yale to agree to put four extra men on the field was a major concession and showed real sportsmanship.

In their first rugby game, Yale's nice guys finished last. Harvard ran all over them, and the poor sons of Eli, knowing nothing about tackling, let them. The final stood 4-0 Harvard, with one of the goals coming after a touchdown. Despite the one-sided defeat, Yale was completely captivated by rugby. Forthwith, they decided, they would play it themselves.

Aside from being the first game in what became one of the most famous series in college football, the 1875 Harvard-Yale encounter saw the first uniforms worn in an American football game. Yale wore dark trousers, blue shirts, and yellow caps. Not to be outdone in sartorial splendor any more than in the score, Harvard showed up in crimson shirts, stockings, and knee breeches. From the descriptions, they looked like a couple of spiffy bowling teams.

All told, the crowd of 2,000 -- including 150 Harvard students -- got its money's worth even though the admission had been doubled from 25 cents to half a dollar for the occasion. Two fellows who paid the price were W. Earle Dodge and Jotham Potter, both of Princeton. They rushed back home singing rugby's praises to high heaven and to any Princetonians who would listen.

And so, as the United States made ready to celebrate its centennial year, the coming game on at least three trend-setting eastern college campuses was that old English favorite, rugby. Anglophobes viewed the whole thing with distaste.

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jane

« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2003, 12:20:43 PM »

So sorry to hear about Alan Bates. I loved him on screen and saw him many times on stage in Canada. He was a splendid RICHARD III in a Stratford, Ontario production directed by my cousin, John Hirsch.

I never had the pleasure of seeing him on stage.  I would have liked to have seen him as Richard.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2003, 12:23:04 PM by Jane »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2003, 12:22:35 PM »

Was out very late last night and came home to one of those ominous "Call me as soon as possible" messages from a person I didn't know well. Turns out my elderly cousin had suddenly died. I'd sent her some flowers just yesterday and I'm told she saw them and enjoyed them in the afternoon. That's good to know. I've been on the phone much of this morning letting relatives know. I have very few relatives, but they're spread all over the world. Hate making phone calls like that! Especially this time of year.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2003, 12:30:22 PM »

Panni I’m sorry about your relative. It is comforting to know she was able to enjoy your flowers and know you were thinking of her.

Tomovoz

« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2003, 12:33:42 PM »

What an amazing era for actors from the UK. Alan Bates, Tom Courtnay, Albert Finney & Terrence Stamp. I remember the impact of those so called "kitchen sink" dramas of the late fifties and early sixties - "A Kind Of Loving", "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning", "Room At The Top" and "This Sporting Life". Ok! I am over my nostalgia kick for a while. Back to what's left of 2003.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up