Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DIET RIGHT  (Read 20812 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
DIET RIGHT
« on: December 30, 2003, 12:19:07 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are on top of things, you are with it and happening and so post away, my pretties.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 12:06:40 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:DIET RIGHT
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 01:12:02 AM »

What a difficult task. Non theatre related. I shall list only ones I have bought rather than received as gifts. Some of these were certainly not released during 2003 but it is the year I purchased them. In no particular order:
1. A Mighty Wind - Soundtrack
2. All The Leaves Are Brown - the Mamas & Papas
3. Read My Licks - Chet Atkins
4. Jeepers Creepers - Various Artists
5. The Definitive America - America
6. Boots And All - Peter Brockelhurst
7. Anthology - Carly Simon
8. The Legend Of 1900 - Soundtrack (Ennio Morricone)
9. Michael Bubé
10. Impressions - André Ganon
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 02:35:57 AM »

In no particular order some are older release that I just caught up with.

1) Jeepers Creepers (I miss having the Mazoah Bri as a hidden track)
2) Lorelei (Carol Channing Camp)
3) Christine Andreas (Here's To The Ladies & The Carlyle Set))
4) Under the Stars (Renee Flemming & Bryn Terfel))
5) Maureen McGovern (Alan & Marilyn Bergman)
6) Peter Cinotti (Peter Cinotti)
7) Maurren Christine (The Very Thought of You)
8) Tap Your Troubles Away (STAGE Jerry herman Tribute)****
9) Jeff Harnar (50's Gold)
10) Little Shop of Horrors (Broadway Cast)

*** The smiley face has no special meaning it is just there. I tried to get rid of it several times but just keeps reappearing.

Honorable Mentions
Nine (Original Cast Album reissue on 2 Cds)
Hair (Original Broadway & Off-Broadway Casts reissue)

and for 2004 I am looking forward to listening to:

Any and all Nancy LaMott that will be released.
The Complete Anyone Can Whistle that has been finished for  over 3 years at least amd promised to finally be released.
Sherry! Finally being release on Angel label and not OC label after sitting on the shelf for years)
and........
The first official release from the Kritzerland label.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 02:39:53 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 02:46:05 AM »

December 30!  Look out NYC!!  8)

Lovely photos DRJason!

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.......to begin my list.  of course some of them are not FROM 2003 - but I GOT them in 2003!

Jeepers Creepers!  
Josh Groban's New CD!
Andre Previn Doris Day DUET
Si Zentner Big Band With Big Voices!

Hmmmmmmmmm.....I will have to think.  And that is difficult at this time of the year.

I will be at a party tomorrow night so I will miss the FUN at HHW.  :'(
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 04:27:38 AM »

Juliana's Journal is so much fun.  Almost like being on the tour with her.  She is having such a great time.

Thanks again for sharing with us, Juliana!

Kerry

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 05:32:37 AM »

NON-theatre CD's?

Well.

Jeepers Creepers, of course

Michael Buble

Peter Cincotti

These are the first few to come to mind

Oh, and the great soundtrack to "Something's Gotta Give"

Someone may have already mentioned this, but I'm about a day behind (in everything), but I was sorry to see that Isabelle Stevenson had passsed away.  I hope there will be someone as hard-working and devoted as she was to keep the Tony's alive and well.

I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 05:34:44 AM »

OK Jack, who is the picture of?
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 05:51:52 AM »

LOL DRKerry - it's an actor name Chris Davies in a production of LITTLE WOMEN he played Laurie.  I really don't know anything else about it, but I thought the picture was nice.   ;D

I also liked the soundtracks:

DOWN WITH LOVE  :D
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN   :D

Speaking of Diet Rite!  In the recycle bin yesterday, I saw two empty cans of Fresca!

Yes, Fresca - the refreshing no calorie drink.  It's not for everyone!  :P
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 05:56:50 AM by JRand53 »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 06:25:47 AM »

Have any DRs read a book called SOMETHING FOR THE BOYS by John M. Clum?  This is a book on gays in musical theatre, but Mr. Clum is one of those "professional gays" who revolve their entire life around being gay and try to find gay meaning where it never was intended.  For example, he claims the reason Auntie Mame was so against Patrick's marriage to Gloria was that she raised Patrick to be gay and was upset when he was going to marry a woman!   At one point he says that he could not enjoy the London production of KISS OF THE SPIDERWOMAN because the day before he saw it he was at an AIDS benefit where the chorus boys from the show performed and so he knew that they were gay and could not enjoy watching them play straight characters in the show.  What a strange book.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 06:42:15 AM »

DR WEL - I have heard of the book, but didn't plan to read it.  When you say "about gays in theatre" - do you mean he is writing about gays working in the theatre or gay characters in musicals and plays (or those he thinks should be)?

Doesn't sound like he would have much credibility in either case....maybe some other DR has also read it.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2003, 07:13:50 AM »

Good morning esteemed, shrinking, slinky, muscular BK --

I have a great advantage when it comes to great CDs that I get to listen to.....DR Kerry is ever-vigilant about watching for things to order, and so I end up hearing a much wider cross section of music than I would otherwise encounter.

Some of my real favorites from this year:

Jeepers Creepers ( I have my very own private copy so that it stays in my car.  I can now sing along with DR Jason's line of ."....who, me?" )

Peter Cincotti
Peter Mintun
The wonderful English orchestra recording of original instrumental AND vocal scores to Swingtime, Damsel In Distress, and others.  I can't remember the conductor's name right now.

I also end up with CDs of much older "historic" or reference stuff that is from the world of theatre organ , and it wouldn't mean much of anything to most folks.  Some of it though is made up of performances of a few of my very early mentors and teachers.

MusicGuy

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2003, 07:17:56 AM »

DE WEL --   I know what you mean, about the way you described that author.  Some folks (I think) just go way too far in trying to read some kind of implied meaning or reference into every single thing!

If this deranged writer had seen dear BK and I having breakfast together a few weeks ago, he would probably try to insist that we were a new couple.

And believe me, esteemed BK would never trade the hope of Leslie Parrish for a simple, humble musician from Arizona.   ;D   8)

Jason

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2003, 07:24:18 AM »

Who is this Michael Buble person that everyone is talking about? Should I look into his CD? I need details, people!

Top Ten non-Theatre Related CDs of the year (this may be difficult):

1. A Mighty Wind
2. Melissa Errico "Blue Like That"
3. Nigel Kennedy "Classic Kennedy"
4. Jeepers Creepers
5. Rascal Flatts "Melt"
6. Elvis "The Number One Hits"
7. Elvis "Second to None"
8. A new (to me) recording of Mozart's REQUIEM
9. "Hermann and Hitchcock: Partners in Terror"
10. The Beatles "Number One Hits"

There...I got through it. Whew!

Excited about meeting the Golddiggers tonight, but as Jose pointed out, if curtain is at 7:00 at the Gershwin and I can't get to Ollie's until 6:30, then we may have about five minutes to say hello before the girls will have to get to hoofin' up to 50th Street. We'll see how it plays out...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2003, 07:24:24 AM »

Up very early and must be at work by eight to deal with some rather insane notes by yet another voice in what is clearly a political power play deal.  Most of them we don't have to do, but as a show of good faith we do have to implement three or four totally useless things.  And that's TV.

Of course, I mean CDs purchased this year - they don't have to be albums RECORDED this year, just anything released this last year.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2003, 07:25:03 AM »

And the writer would have been correct, as we were having a very gay time indeed at Du-Par's.  

MusicGuy

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2003, 07:27:12 AM »

And finally (for now)...... OK Ozzie Tom, what gives??  You really think that you can keep Paul Mercurio all to yourself for New Year's??  

Au Contraire my little kookaburra......I feel confident that I could surely enlist the help of DRs Kerry, TCB, Jrand, Jay, MBarnum, and maybe even Jose....and that with such a fearsome display of raw, unbridled machismo and sheer manliness, we would crash forth your portcullis and snatch poor innocent little Mr. Mercurio from your castle/lair/den in the hallowed hills of Victoria!!

Fie on you Sir, Fie !!  Trying to keep such things to yourself...have you never heard of Christian charity?  'Tis better to give than to receive? Do not fold, spindle, or mutilate?

If you are not well-behaved and generous, we shall ship you off to the over-sanitized neighborhoods of Moonie Ponds......where there is nary a bear in sight for miles and miles.   :-X

MusicGuy

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2003, 07:30:58 AM »

Bye for now DRs, and ever-leaner BK .....I have to get some errands/work/consulting/money-making done for a fairly full day today.

I'll check in later this afternoon..

TTFN

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2003, 07:36:09 AM »

Good morning, all.  My visiting daughter has just driven off with her friends to Disneyland by way of LAX where they are picking up another friend. The lovely daughter is a movie buff (my fault) and as I can get us into movies free this time of year, we've been going non-stop. Yesterday we saw three - count 'em three - films.... A matinee of Altman's THE COMPANY - which neither of us liked. I love ballet, I love backstage films, I did NOT love this film, even though I wanted to. Then bk screened MULHOLLAND DRIVE for us. Rachel had never seen it and I haven't seen it in years. It was a treat. As the film ended, Rachel said something like, "What the hell was that??" ...But she liked it so much that it whetted her appetite for yet another film (By this time it was after 10pm). So, as bk roared off into the night (the man drives fast), we also sped off (not as fast) to the nearest multiplex to see an uncomplicated film (Rachel's wish) - MONA LISA SMILE. I must admit that I dozed through some (okay, much) of that film as (A) I was tired (B) I wasn't terribly interested in seeing it. Rachel, however, enjoyed the film. We got home around 1am and I woke her at 6 am so she could be ready in time for Disneyland. I'm exhausted just writing about all this.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 07:52:42 AM by Panni »

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2003, 07:40:10 AM »

Wow, as I am at work it is hard for me to recall all of the Cds that I bought this year! Well, here is a short list of some of my favorites:

Thunderbirds TV series Soundtrack

Rough Guide to Bollywood

Jeepers Creepers

Karz Soundtrack

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2003, 07:51:08 AM »

List of films seen with lovely daughter in last few days: HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG, MONA LISA SMILE, SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE, BIG FISH, THE COMPANY, LOST IN TRANSLATION, MULHOLLAND DRIVE.
She also saw MONSTER without me. I have a feeling I'm leavings some out...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2003, 07:57:40 AM »

I'll get to my non theater CD list in a moment, but I'm bursting to talk about SOMETHING FOR THE BOYS.

First, let me say that John Clum wrote a fairly decent book called ACTING GAY which I rather enjoyed, and so my hopes were high for SOMETHING FOR THE BOYS. What a horrendous piece of bad writing and inaccurate research! There are more misspellings in this book than in just about any other legitimate published work that I know of. I was appalled, frankly, by how bad this book was, and Ken Mandelbaum refused to review it as it was so loaded with errors, misinformation, and faulty facts.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2003, 08:07:14 AM »

My favorite non theater-related CDs this year:

THE ANDY WILLIAMS CHRISTMAS ALBUM
DORIS DAY: DAY BY DAY/DAY BY NIGHT
DORIS DAY: SHOW TIME/DAY IN HOLLYWOOD
DORIS DAY:LATIN FOR LOVERS/LOVE HIM
GYPSY - film soundtrack
LEGENDARY PERFORMERS: SUSAN JOHNSON
CLAY AIKEN: THIS IS THE NIGHT/BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 08:08:01 AM by Matt H. »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2003, 08:10:56 AM »

MusicGuy:  I think I used to date Christian Charity.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jason

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2003, 08:13:43 AM »

MBarnum: You'll be pleased to know that you ("A friend of mine") and the missing package ("two Christmas compilation CD's") have been added to my complaint to the Postmaster General and I am sending it out today. I'm ready to get the ball rolling on this investigation and nab the little bugger who has been stealing my mail!

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2003, 08:15:16 AM »

Good luck Jason, hopefully all those missing packages can be recovered as well!

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2003, 08:20:48 AM »

Yes, DR Jason, please let us know how things proceed with the investigation. Obviously, there is a thief afoot. No post office loses THAT many packages.

Diane

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2003, 08:42:34 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD VIBES TO JASON[/move]

Hope that your evil postal theif is discovered!

Hope everyone is having a good morning. :D

Will have to post fav CD'S later..Busy day at work :P

I LOVE A Piano....

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2003, 08:44:29 AM »

Happy New Year's Eve Eve, Dear Readers.  

I am not really in a position to contribute to today's top ten request, but I look forward to reading what everyone else has to say.

I caught up with two movies yesterday that have Golden Globe nominations:  American Splendor and School of Rock.  My expectations for the former were fairly high, and though it has some clever elements, on the whole I thought the film was only OK.  I was prepared to not like the latter, yet found it rather endearing and fully enjoyed Jack Black's performance.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2003, 08:51:30 AM »

Last night, I wrote:
On New Year's Eve (8:00 PM Eastern time and 5:00 PM Pacific time), there's supposed to be an Internet radio show that I'm going to try and record....

And then Jed asked:
George, what's the radio show of which you speak?  I'll be looking for some way to kill time until 7:30 or so Wednesday

And now I answer:
On www.wamc.org, Laurel Massé, founding member of The Manhattan Transfer has a monthly (and not archived...you can only listen to it when it's on) Internet radio show.  I think it's either the last or the fourth Wednesday of each month.  She's doing a New Year's Eve special that was recorded a little while ago, but is being broadcast tomorrow and I don't know if she is going to sing or if she's just hosting the program with other performers.  Either way, I would assume that it's going to be a good show.  According to the website, it's from 8-10 pm Eastern time (5-7 Pacific time).  

As to the Topic of the Day:
My top favorite non-theatrical CDs (to be added to later) are definitely The Manhattan Transfer's "Couldn't Be Hotter" (their first live album in quite a while), Janis Siegel's "Friday Night Special" (both of which are on Telarc, their new label) and Cheryl Bentyne's "Talk of the Town" and "Moonlight Serenade" CDs that have (so far) only been released in Japan (and where I was able to get them on-line).  Her "Talk of the Town" CD is going to be released next month with all new photos on the Telarc label.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 08:56:00 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2003, 08:51:38 AM »

Oh and the CD that accompanied Kritzerland!   ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 08:52:12 AM by JRand53 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up