Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: HINDSIGHT IS TWENTY TWENTY  (Read 53034 times)

Ginny

Re:HINDSIGHT IS TWENTY TWENTY
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2007, 08:18:03 AM »

And one for Minette - a very popular mystery author here at my library!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2007, 08:21:31 AM »

Judith Guest, probably best-known for her novel Ordinary People, incorporated those Ann Arbor coed murders into her novel The Tarnished Eye about another unsolved true crime.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2007, 08:27:41 AM »

Is it a crime to start each day
With a laugh, and a smile, and a song?
And is it a crime to end each day
With a laugh, and a smile, and a song?
Is it wrong, is it a crime
To call the world your valentine?
Is it a crime to grab a lamp-post
And then sing "Sweet Adeline?"
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2007, 08:31:55 AM »

Good morning to dear Esteemed, mellow, bouncing, puzzled, and studly BK --

(who, by the way, looked absolutely dashing sitting in Ruth's Chris Steak House wearing only a skorpido.... whereas I had a thong and a boa!)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2007, 08:33:58 AM »

No chemise, please.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MusicGuy

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2007, 08:34:27 AM »

And a very good morning also to all of the beautiful, dashing, and handsome DRs and H/Ks here today.

I had a good trip over to La-La Land, and got some work accomplished, as well as supping with the Grande Mensch himself.  I have a picture I will try to download later today, and post here.  It is of one of our favorite Hollywood landmarks.........mmmmm, yummy!

MusicGuy

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2007, 08:35:04 AM »

No, DR Ron, a chemise is way too "Ann Margaret" for me!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2007, 08:36:20 AM »

I had a great visit with my chiropractor yesterday.

He found a few troublesome chinks in my armor and snapped me out of them.

I felt/feel great as a result!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2007, 08:37:43 AM »

No, DR Ron, a chemise is way too "Ann Margaret" for me!

DR MG....somehow it's still a better visualization -- for me, at any rate -- than the thong/boa combo.

;D

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 08:38:18 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: February 08, 2007, 08:42:27 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]Happy Birthday Greetings to anyone who might be needing them today![/size][/move][/color]

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2007, 08:43:52 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]And a Very Merry UnBirthday to the Rest of Us![/size][/move]

FJL

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2007, 08:45:51 AM »

I guess the Enron and Martha Stewart cases fascinated me more than any other recent cases, because of what they taught about our nation's value systems.  While I couldn't identify with them, I could understand the people who felt themselves cornered in these situations and just said what they felt they had to say.  I'm sure many of us have at some point (maybe in our youths) told what we convinced ourselves were insignificant lies to get out of a jam; here, the ramifications were intense.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2007, 08:55:57 AM »

During the 1970s there was a serial rapist?/murderer? in LA, whose name I don't recall. Yes, it can be very difficult to go through, even if you remain relatively unscathed. We didn't talk much about terrorism in those days, but the concept is the same: you live in fear.

You get four from which to pick: The Freeway Killer, the Trash Bag Murderer,  Randy Kraft or the Hillside Stranglers:
Freeway Killer
At the end of 1979, Southern California was in a state of near panic. Parents were afraid to let their children out of the house, and it appeared that the police were powerless to stop a vicious killer who liked to rape, strangle and stab. The Freeway Killer could practice his grisly trade at will.

On February 23, 1996, the people of the state of California finally followed through on their decision that the world would be a better place without William Bonin. After fighting for his life for 17 years, the notorious “Freeway Killer” became the first person to be executed by lethal injection in California. For the survivors of the 14 young men and boys whom Bonin was convicted of killing and of the nearly 30 others whom this classic sociopath is suspected of slaying, the Freeway Killer’s execution probably lacked an element of justice.
Bonin expressed no remorse for what he had done although he did demonstrate embarrassment and regret at being apprehended. Once confronted with the evidence he freely confessed to police.

After his arrest Bonin told a reporter "I'd still be killing. I couldn't stop killing. It got easier each time."
Bonin confessed to killing 21 young men and boys. He shared aspects of each crime in horrifying detail.

Trash Bag Murders
The Trash Bag Murders are considered among the most heinous crimes of the twentieth century. Patrick Kearney's swath of death ranks him with the likes of Jerry Brudos, Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer and John Wayne Gacy.

Randy Kraft
:
After arresting him for drunk driving, the cop saw a man slumped in the passenger's seat, partially covered by a jacket. He tried in vain to rouse Kraft's passenger. The man was barefoot, with his pants unzipped and genitals exposed. He had no pulse and his neck was ringed with red marks, as if he had been strangled. Prosperous data processing consultant preyed upon teenage boys, leaving them dead and mutilated. Convicted of 16 murders, the true count may be closer to 67.

Hillside Stranglers
Angelo Buono and Kenneth Bianchi, the  Hillside Stranglers:

It takes more than a few homicides to get the attention of the people in a city the size of Los Angeles. Murders are a daily occurrence. So when three women living hi-risk lifestyles were found strangled and naked on hillsides very few people lost sleep over it. Only a couple sharp homicide detectives became nervous that this was just the beginning. Everything changed when five "nice girls" were abducted from their middle-class neighborhoods.

Two psychopathic cousins made torture into an unspeakable art form as they experimented on their young victims, giving new meaning to the concept of "Evil."
Don't you miss LA?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2007, 09:00:11 AM »

What makes these guys and gals tick?  The nature vs. nuture element of them and their crimes.  

I ain't tellin' 'till I'm caught :-X

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2007, 09:07:42 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Overcast out, but who knows if it will stay that way or burn off.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2007, 09:08:21 AM »

My favorite Minette Walters isn't The Ice House, it's her third book, The Scold's Bridle.  Really excellent.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2007, 09:09:15 AM »

TOD: The Tison Gang (DRs MusicGuy, Kerry, and Cillaliz will remember them.)

The one I am totally NOT interested in following moment by moment, step by step is the local former weathercaster who was recently caught shoplifting. The news media here seem to think we all care tremendously about this case; they are mistaken.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2007, 09:10:11 AM »

The last true crime that I paid attention to was OJ, which was mesmerizing.  I also read In Cold Blood, saw every Jack the Ripper movie and read a few books about him.  I read several accounts of the Manson case and followed the trial.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2007, 09:10:39 AM »

I'll send everyone's congrats to Miss Egan.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2007, 09:11:40 AM »

And a death to report - the costume designer, Donfeld - a wonderful person with whom I worked on the Dinah And Her New Best Friends Show.  

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2007, 09:12:06 AM »

Re Charles Manson:

The good version: An acquaintance of mine was in the same prison as Manson and saw him once or twice.

Ok, the real version: An acquainance of mine was the prison librarian at the prison Manson was in and saw him once or twice.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2007, 09:22:33 AM »

There were a series of abductions/sexual assaults/murders of co-eds in and around Ann Arbor at the time I was an undergraduate at The University of Michigan.

The Co-Ed Murders?
John Norman Collins:
Convicted of one murder in the late 1960s Michigan college campus serial murder case, police believed that he was responsible for all of them. Collins was implicated superficially in fifteen murders, but only the first seven on the list were officially considered his
"A body found yesterday afternoon on a Superior Township farm was tentatively identified as that of a 19-year-old Eastern Michigan University coed who disappeared without a trace July 9."

This report in the Ann Arbor News on Tuesday, August 8th, 1967 described the first of a string of coed murders in the Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor area of Michigan over the next two years.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2007, 09:24:27 AM »

Dress rehearsal vibes for the DR MISS KAREN and her bugs.

I sense a set-up 8)

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2007, 09:31:20 AM »

Personally, I find all of Ms Walters' works quite interesting. She's one of the top--if not THE top--mystery writers writing today, IMHO. I never cease to be awed by her first novel, THE ICE HOUSE.

I think I'll give this a try - British mystery writers of the female persuasion are some of my favorites.

der Brucer

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2007, 09:40:21 AM »

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2007, 09:42:11 AM »

Hi everyone!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2007, 09:45:10 AM »

I really enjoy reading any true crime stories. The website www.crimelibrary.com has summaries of just about every case imaginable. I am particularly interested in the Manson family murders, Jack the Ripper, and the two teenage New Zealand girls the movie Heavenly Creatures was based upon- one of whom grew up to be Anne Perry the best selling mystery novelist.  I was a big fan of her books before I ever found out about the connection.

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2007, 09:45:40 AM »

Hi, DR TPunk - how've you been?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2007, 09:46:07 AM »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2007, 09:48:27 AM »

It's a darkly grey day here in Oakland.

It is NOT going to burn off.

We have a HUGE storm approaching which, we PRAY, will help us erase the precipitation deficit we find ourselves in right now.

Should be a wet, wet weekend here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up