Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: LOLLYGAGGING  (Read 75837 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LOLLYGAGGING
« on: February 19, 2007, 12:24:07 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes didn't lollygag, and now it is time for you to post until the lollygagging cows come home.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:19:09 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:LOLLYGAGGING
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:29:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: EUDEMONIA!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 12:31:01 AM »

I'm tired, but not ready for bed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 12:31:21 AM »

Didn't I say that last night?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 12:50:31 AM »

And the word of the day is: EUDEMONIA!

EUDEMONIA –noun:  happiness; well-being
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 04:49:04 AM »

EUDEMONIA –noun:  happiness; well-being

I wish more people would catch it.
Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 05:42:32 AM »

DR Jose, I am curious about something that you wrote last night re: GREASE.  You said that it might be hard for those eliminated (for their careers).

In what way?  Do you think other Broadway people would shun them because they think the show is dumb?

I would have thought just the opposite.  That they might get more tv opportunities since now people know them and might actually like them.

Although i will say that as of yet I don't really feel like i know any of the contestants (except maybe max).

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 05:42:53 AM »

As for GREASE YOU'RE THE ONE THAT I WANT:

SPOILERS

I was happy that they got to do duets since the chemistry is such a huge factor.

But i wish we had gotten to see bits of different pairings.

I actually agree with DR MattH that laura and austin had really nice chemistry. They were one of my favorites.

I also really liked max and ashley. I had liked ashley a lot in the auditions. But i have hated her since them. Last night i saw a playful fun girl. I think she was my favorite of the night. Although i'm still not sure if i like her.

I love max. He acts out each song and is fun to watch.

I've decided i don't want kate to win. She sings well. But i don't get any real emotion from her performance and i would not want to watch her as sandy.

But my least favorite is allie. I really am surprised she was not in the bottom.

I don't care for kevin (like his voice but find him bland). And derek was so off last night.

I have liked kathleen but she is playing old to me. And i think they should have gotten rid of her instead of juliana.  They said it was because her acting was better.  Well since we have never seen any acting, we have no idea.  I really think they need to rectify this and show us rehearsals. Because if they are going to use this as the basis for their decisions, we should know what they are talking about.

I do think they made the right decision re: the men. I just found that guy seemed too old.

I would put derek and kevin in the bottom for the men. And allie and kathleen for the women.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 05:49:07 AM by Jennifer »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 05:52:12 AM »

La de DA dee da da.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 05:53:22 AM »

Some great pictures yesterday...from DR LAURA and DR TCB and DR MS.

That Russian review was so funny.  That is where we got the word "teles" which used to be so popular in these parts.  And of course "Bruce Kimmela" and "Broadwayieski" should enter the lexicon immediately.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 05:53:49 AM »

Enjoyed TAR last night - and if some of the other boards are to be believed, I shall be even happier in a about four weeks!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 05:56:06 AM »

re:PEPE

I think it was one of the first movie reviews I ever read.  I don't know where I found it - but it was scathing.  And then once it came to EVERY drive in locally, the television commercials were incessant.

I got so tired of seeing that mug and hearing that snippet of a song:

"Pepe" ....  "that's me!"  that I didn't want to see the movie EVER.  

I may start it today, only because it is held in regard by some here - time will tell.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 06:03:20 AM »

I got so tired of seeing that mug and hearing that snippet of a song:

"Pepe" ....  "that's me!"  that I didn't want to see the movie EVER.  

I remember watching it as a kid, but I don't remember the beautiful song recorded by Guy Haines among others.   How did I miss that?
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 06:04:16 AM »

Cillaliz, your niece Sam is gorgeous! Thanks for the pix. I wish her the best of luck on the show!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jennifer

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 06:08:36 AM »

RE: last night's AMAZING RACE.

[color=Purple]SPOILERS[/color]

I had no idea CBS started late. On my channel (CTV) it actually ended at 8:50pm which sort of freaked me out.

OMG, let me just say i loved every second.

Rob and amber were as great as i remembered. Oh wow. They are strong. I love them.

Very impressed with danny and oswald. I wasn't expecting them to be so good. But they were strong and funny.

And as much as i don't care for them i thought teri and ian were quite strong. They do stuff on their own. And they do it well. 3rd place is great.

The beauty queens did okay. But i was a bit disappointed they finished so low (6th). I was expecting more. But i guess if you break it down they did okay. It just comes down to bad luck in them going to the wrong airline and then just missing the last place on the american flight.

I was very disappointed in joyce and uchenna. They just looked so mediocre. As past champions i was expecting more. But they really did not impress me.

I was also surprised by eric (formerly of eric and jeremy). He is competitive. And his past experience is helping that team. I really hope his girlfriend steps up next week.

Teams that sucked. Dave and mary. Okay i never thought they were strong and i didn't see why they should be on allstars. bUt i really did not like them last night.  The good part about this team in the past was that they were sweet and nice.  But last night they were mean. And that really bugged me.  They are bad at everything. But the way they acted made me really want them gone.

Also the fatsos. I wanted them to finish last. They couldn't even run to the car. They finished last at each task. Not good.

I felt bad for charla and mirna. They had really bad luck. They got that guy to help them. But they went to wrong entrance. I'm really glad they didn't go. Hopefully they will do better next week.

Now, I never liked jill and john vito before. But they were quite nice last night. They seemed to have matured and they were actually doing well. I feel really bad that they had such bad luck. I know luck plays into some rounds. But i think it was too soon for them to go. Very sad about that.

My teams will definitely be romber and the beauty queens. But i really hope the beauties step things up.

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 06:09:49 AM »

Hey DR Jrand, please don't hint at TAR spoilers. I know the winners are known. But i really don't want to know anything. THANKS.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 06:50:27 AM »

Good morning, all!  I thought the photos posted yesterday by DRs DearReaderLaura and TCB quite wonderful.  Back in the late 1980s, when Michael Tilson Thomas allowed himself time for composition, he wrote a wonderful concert piece based on Anne Frank's diary.  The narrator for its premiere performance, I recall, was Audrey Hepburn.  I may have a cassette of that concert somewhere in my apartment.  When I worked on the Gershwin Gala with Michael, his gift to me was a complete, unexpurgated copy of the diary.

As to the GREASE program, wild horses couldn't drag me into a theatre to catch what looks more and more like "American Idol presents Happy Days Redux," rather than the subversive, bawdy, cruelly funny original I saw in 1974.  The cast looks too pretty for words, I don't get any feeling for 1950s-60s rock performances, and ohmigod, who's staging this turkey for tv?  And even worse, who is letting Kathleen Marshall into camera range in those clothes?

I hope this piece of cotton candy covered turd closes faster than the Edsel's reign of terror.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 07:22:05 AM »

Good morning!

Beautiful day here, and it's going to get into the 50s (60s by later in the week), so I'm hoping we've begun to put winter behind us.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 07:23:15 AM »

I meant to post this last night, but I read on a message board that the version of PEPE being shown this morning is not the roadshow long version but the short version. Still, it's been so long since I've seen ANY version that it will likely seem new to me.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 07:28:44 AM »

RE bk's projection television lamp:

I've had my projection TV for more than two years now, and I'm on my third lamp. Of course, I watch an enormous amount of TV and movies, so that's not surprising. I keep a new lamp for back-up at all times.

Once you install your new lamp, bk, however, you have in effect a new set. The brightness and sense of color and depth is astonishing, so in that regard, these newer TVs are much advanced from their predecessors, not to mention the larger screens, lightness in weight compared to those heavy models with a bulky picture tube, sharpness and density of picture elements, etc.

And the fact that you can swap out your own lamp is pretty incredible. How many of us could plunder into the back of old TVs and replace anything?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 07:31:18 AM by Matt H. »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 07:33:40 AM »

Eudemonia is finding a pencil,
Pizza with sausage,
Telling the time.
Eudemonia is learning to whistle,
Tying you shoe
For the very first time.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 07:35:21 AM »

DR Elmore, I was glad to read that your dad's services went so nicely.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 07:41:39 AM »

Last night, Miss Karen said:
DR Dan the Man ~ Yes, you are correct, it is in a one-man show of "some kind" -- one-woman. In Whoopi: Back to Broadway -- 20th Anniversary (2005 --TV), her druggie character, Fontaine, talks about it after having seen that sign with the quote.  I assume that's the one you may be remembering.

Thankee, DR Miss Karen!  That's what was throwing me off--I was dimly recalling that it was a down-and-out male character who was talking about Anne Frank and I never made the connection to Whoopi.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 07:42:31 AM »

On my first trip to LA to mix UNSUNG SONDHEIM and Liz Callaway's first recording, BK took me with him to see PEPE in someone's home movie theatre.

Now, today's trauma: I need to rebook my flight back to NYC since I cannot go tomorrow.  Since I've been on the phone waiting to speak to a US Arways persoon for over 30 minutes, I decided to contact them by email around 15 minutes ago to be told once I sent the inquiry that I would get an answer in 5-7 DAYS! Hell's bells, as my late mother would say. So, I'm still on the damned phone.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 07:44:52 AM »

I am currently Tivo'ing the possibly uncut PEPE.

That sounds like it should be part of a foreign language phrase book.

"Where is the library?"

"I believe you are in league with the butcher."

"I am Tivo'ing the uncut PEPE."
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2007, 07:46:54 AM »

I have a lot of shows from last night to watch which I should be able to get to before prime time begins tonight.

Of course tonight, new episodes of everything. We welcome a new hero to the show tonight, BTW.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2007, 07:46:54 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]* * * * *  REBOOKING VIBES FOR DR ELMORE  * * * * *[/move]
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2007, 08:07:53 AM »

President's Day greetings!  My library is open today, but it's my regular day off for the week.  Because we're open on a holiday, everybody gets comp time, so I get to stay home and still earn my 8 hours of comp time.  How sweet is that?

TOD - My favorite organized exercise program was an aerobic dance class that was taught by the woman who used to live in the house where we live now.  Because the gym at the campus was being used for basketball practice, we had to have our aerobics class on the stage of the theater.  I had myself fooled into thinking that it wasn't really an exercise class, but early rehearsals for a show and any day now they'd bring in the costumes and lights and we'd put on our show.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 08:31:44 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Pepe looks gorgeous - it's not good, but it LOOKS good and has lots of fun stuff.  Unfortunately, the story they hung on the film is tiresome and poor Dan Dailey is saddled with a horrible, unlikeable character.

The film is in a three-hour time slot - how can it not be uncut?  The cut version runs about two hours and ten minutes and is shorn of many good things.  I woke up at about eight and turned it on - I gather it started at six-forty-five - is that correct?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 08:32:25 AM »

Will we never get to page two?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 39   Go Up