Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 2004: THE YEAR OF THE LEAPING MADCAP GEESE  (Read 27362 times)

td

• td
Re:2004: THE YEAR OF THE LEAPING MADCAP GEESE
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2004, 08:47:46 AM »

AFAIC, the past year was a banner year for films/television/concerts on dvd, so many choice, so little time.

My Favorite DVD releases of 2003:

1. FINDING NEMO
2. THE INDIANA JONES CHRONICLES
3.  SLEEPING BEAUTY
4.  Warner's COLE PORTER COLLECTION:  KISS ME, KATE, LES GIRLS, SILK STOCKINGS and BROADWAY MELODY
5. THE BEGINNING OF THE END
6.  HELLO, DOLLY!
7.  MGM'S "gay" series:  THE SUM OF US, BENT, JEFFREY, IT'S MY PARTY
8.  BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER SEASON FIVE
9.  ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST
10.  CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG

RUNNERS UP:
11.  PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN
12. KINO'S American Film Theater Series, most notably JACQUES BREL IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LIVING IN PARIS
13. ELAINE STRITCH AT LIBERTY
14.  WEST SIDE STORY (double disc; did anyone else realize that the single disc with the white label is PAN AND SCAN! ! !? ? ?)
15.  A MIGHTY WIND
16.  Paramount's Peter Bogdonavich series: DAISY MILLER, TARGETS, PAPER MOON.

also rans:  
THE LION KING
MGM's Double Feature Discs which included (finally) THE VAMPIRE LOVERS and LADY DRACULA
THE BILLY WILDER COLLECTION featuring the new to dvd AVANTI, PRIVATE LIFE OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, KISS ME STUPID and ONE TWO THREE.
THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE
SWEET CHARITY
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN LIVE IN BARCELONA
OKLAHOMA! (London Cast)
X-MEN 2
SCROOGE
PRETTY BABY

DVD disappointments:
THE BARBRA STREISAND COLLECTION - although the films look and sound magnificent, the so-called Streisand commentaries bite the big one.
DIE ANOTHER DAY - or, the dumbing down of Bond even further than when Roger Moore was starring.

Best dvd trend of 2003:
the Walmart $5.88 bin
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2004, 09:18:44 AM »

Happy New Year!

I have a hot pot of coffee awaiting me.  It's cold and raining here today.  Raining dreadfully!  Raining mercilessly!  Raining on our parade and preventing us from parading around with our roses!  It's the rain of all rains, thus far -- probably the rainiest rain we have had in a couple of years.  And it's supposed to rain ALL DAY!

I have delusions today (oh! yes! I HAVE delusions!) of going out to see LOTR:TROTK!  But, alas, this "r-a-i-n" has also afflicted me with fetal-position-itis!  And it's not pretty.  But it IS comfy!  And the house is warm and I have a fireplace and firelogs aplenty.  

I'm totally jiggy with most of the DVD choices others have listed....including Michael Shayne's mention of the superbit "Lawrence of Arabia" which blew me away more than virtually any other DVD film presentation of the year.  "Finding Nemo," "Sleeping Beauty," "LOTR: The Two Towers" are all at the top of my list, too!

My fingers want me to start typing more lists, but my mind is listless, I tell you...totally listless this morning.

Have a wonderful, joyous, DRY day my warm, wonderful, funny friends. (Oh!  Uh--oh!  I had a flashback to my yout...long may it remain a pleasant memory!  It had to do with the song "I'm in the Mood For Love" -- which I'm not, by the way.  And it went, "I'm in the mood for love, simply because you're near me.  Funny butt....funny butt?  Funny Butt!  You've got the cutest little funny butt!"   I guess you had to be there and then!).

DR Jason:  Thank you so much for the photos from Broadway!  I appreciate the one of the Gershwin very much!

Adieu til later.  

Auguri!

(And to the karma-taker who started my New Year off by booing me: I GIVE it to you gladly because I think you need it MUCH more than I! You helped me resolve to continue being outspoken in this forum.  Thank you!!!)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 09:36:35 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2004, 10:29:07 AM »

A good 2004 morning to all! I'm doing my first day of the new year house cleaning today. Late last night I sent out a mass e-mailing to many people (but sent each individually, copying the text) wishing them "a happy, healthy, prosperous, fulfilling 2204!"
And I hadn't even had a drink...
Got back several responses this morning saying that, although the wish was a fine one, they didn't think they'd make it quite that far.

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2004, 10:36:57 AM »

Panni, you gave me my first big laugh of 2004! Thank you! LOL!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2004, 10:40:48 AM »

That would have given me a laugh, too, but I didn't get said e-mail.  

I'm didn't really fall asleep until four - had so many things running around in my head.  So, I just awoke and am ready to relax and smell the roses or the coffee or the Diet Coke or whatever needs smelling.

And it wouldn't be a New Year unless I began it with: Where in tarnation IS everyone?  We mustn't have a New Low on the New Year.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2004, 10:41:17 AM »

Well, woke up this first day of 2004 to lots and lots more snow, about 5 inches it looks like. Guess that will keep me home and off the streets today! LOL! Fortunately I have a 4 day weekend! Should get lots of DVD watching done today as well as some writing projects.

Hope everyone's first day of the new year is starting out grand! I want to hear all about JRand53's partay in the big city!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2004, 10:52:35 AM »

Happy New Year!  Did everyone watch the Rose Parade?  It runs through the heart of my home town and concludes only about a mile from my house.  Of course, I watch it on TV.  No sense in dealing with chilly overcast weather and crowds when the best views are right on TV!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2004, 10:53:58 AM »

I haven't watched the Rose Parade in ages, but I do stop and smell the roses and occasionally a parade whenever I have time.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2004, 11:09:51 AM »

Good morning everyone from warm but very wet Hawaii!
Luckily it was dry last night so we were able to go down to the beach and watch the fireworks.  That was fun.  But this morning we awoke to torrential amounts of rain.  No beach today, I guess.
I'll post more later when I'm fully awake...

Jay

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2004, 11:11:17 AM »

Jay's List of Best Films of 2003:

Mystic River
The Station Agent
Lost In Translation
The Triplets of Belleville
Big Fish
Pieces of April
House of Sand and Fog
In America
21 Grams
Km. 0
Elephant
L'Auberge Espagnole

I am not the first to note that 2003 was a terrific year for documentaries.  Here's my list of the best ones I saw last year:

Winged Migration
Spellbound
Capturing the Friedmans
The Fog of War
Amandla!
Lost in LaMancha

(I'm not sure if the first two on this list qualify as 2003 or 2002 movies, but I saw them in 2003.)

In 2003, I also saw the worst film I've ever seen.  Not the worst of 2003, the worst ever.  What really puzzles me is that this picture shows up on the top ten list by one of the L.A. Times' film critics.  It was made in Portugal, and its name, so you can avoid it, is O, Fantasma.

Worst American film, hands down, was Girls Will Be Girls.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2004, 11:11:26 AM »

Why can't you go to the beach in the rain?  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2004, 11:12:08 AM »

Why, if it were raining today I would hate straight for the beach.  However, it is not raining today so I will head straight for the couch.

Jay

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2004, 11:13:06 AM »

I haven't watched the Rose Parade in ages, but I do stop and smell the roses and occasionally a parade whenever I have time.

With all the mounted units (don't even go there, Dear Reader TCB) in this parade, I am confident it was a most fragrant event.  Maybe that's why they use so many flowers.  To mask the scent.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2004, 11:14:20 AM »

bk - how right you are.  I love beaches in the rain.  Water is water, after all, so you end up getting wet either way.  But my dear best friend, who was born and raised here in Hawaii, somehow got it into her head that unless she is able to lie on the sand in the bright sun, it's not a beach-worthy day.  I, being a good guest, go along with it.  

Michael

« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2004, 11:15:40 AM »

[size=10][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]WHOOPS!!!!![/move][/size]

How could I have left off SORDID LIVES!!! This was my #1 DVD of the past year. I watched if more times than any other film. I cannot recommend it more. If you haven't seen it. Rent it! Buy It! Borrow it! A great film

Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2004, 11:21:14 AM »

I would add to my best DVDs the You Bet Your Life set, the funniest thing I've seen all year.  Also, my region 2 DVD of La Dolce Vita, the first time this film has ever been presented on home video correctly, and in a gorgeous transfer to boot.  Oh, and The Swimmer - who would have ever thought we'd see this on DVD, let alone looking so good.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2004, 11:21:40 AM »

Jason thank you for the wonderful photos!   Having been parents on the receiving end of similar calls, Keith and I want to know if your parents understood a word of what you said last night.  LOL

MBarnum you got snow and Portland got snow but all we got was rain.  So much for the weather forecast of snow all night.

Jay, Keith and I along with friends, including Penny (yes?) whom I notice is on board this morning, went to the parade.  Keith & I did this several years in a row.  I don’t remember if Penny went more than once.  Of course we were very young at the time.  This morning I recorded the parade and if I have time will watch it later.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2004, 11:29:27 AM »

Danise fortunately Echo is great with storms and fireworks.  :)  If not I would certainly try the rescue remedy.  I know what a pain a dog that is fearful can be.  We had a Samoyed once that always informed us when a storm was approaching.  Summers in the east were very difficult on her.

Jason

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2004, 11:33:22 AM »

Jane: Yes, they understood it. My dad sounded like he'd been sleeping (what little bit I could hear when he was speaking to me.) I'd like to think that he was just sleeping and not in the middle of something unseemly, considering my parents had the house to themselves last night. We won't go there any further. I felt like 1) they should know that I was out having a good time and I was totally sober (I rang in the New Year with a bottle of Aquafina. I don't drink, but for some reason, even at the age of 27, I feel like I have to prove to them that I'm not out getting sloshed...I'm weird like that) and 2) I wanted them to know where I was just in case something happened, which I really wasn't expecting, but I wanted to take that precaution just in case. From the sound of it, they really couldn't have cared less, so...I dunno.

I'm glad you liked the pictures. I posted one especially for TCB and he's not said a darn word about it. That's gratitude for ya! ;)

I may post a few more today, but not as many as last night.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 11:35:01 AM by Jason »

Jason

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2004, 11:42:01 AM »

This gentleman was guarding the Hershey Store in Times Square yesterday. Machine guns and chocolate...what a strange pairing...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2004, 11:43:56 AM »

I wish I could settle in and watch DVDs, but I'm picking a friend up at the airport at 3:00 today, and then we're going to have a Chinese dinner. Tonight, DVDs for sure! I put in NORTH BY NORTHWEST finally today, and was simply astounded by the clarity, depth, and rich color. It's obvious I need to rewatch every DVD I own on this TV set to understand how truly wonderful DVDs and how great this set is!

A couple of DVDs for me to add: Hitchcock's NOTORIOUS and SPELLBOUND (Criterion editions).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2004, 11:44:07 AM »

Broadway! Broadway! How great you are...

Jason

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2004, 11:46:26 AM »

For some reason, I really like this picture. This is the Weston (?) Hotel on 42nd Street. You can see part of the Loews movie theatre sign in the bottom right hand corner...

Jane

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2004, 11:48:40 AM »

Jane: Yes, they understood it. My dad sounded like he'd been sleeping (what little bit I could hear when he was speaking to me.) I'd like to think that he was just sleeping and not in the middle of something unseemly, considering my parents had the house to themselves last night. We won't go there any further. I felt like 1) they should know that I was out having a good time and I was totally sober (I rang in the New Year with a bottle of Aquafina. I don't drink, but for some reason, even at the age of 27, I feel like I have to prove to them that I'm not out getting sloshed...I'm weird like that) and 2) I wanted them to know where I was just in case something happened, which I really wasn't expecting, but I wanted to take that precaution just in case. From the sound of it, they really couldn't have cared less, so...I dunno.

I’m sitting here chuckling.  I’m sure your parents were very pleased you called and appreciated the Aquafina.  I know we would.  I expect our Portland child is sleeping and we won’t know how our other son fared until he returns from Budapest to Romania.

Thanks for the new pictures. :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 11:51:32 AM by Jane »

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2004, 12:01:53 PM »

Well it is indeed 2004, and I am inde3ed absolutely exhausted. I had 10-ish friends over last night (I say 10-ish because people were coming and going...the average at one time was 10), and I think we finally decided to retire at 5. And we were woken at 8:45 to run out and get donuts. I need at least 4 hours of sleep to be fully functional, and it's not working at the moment.

I don't really have any "Favorite 2003 DVD releases", because I almost never watch our DVD's anyway. The one movie I adore is Pirates of the Caribbean, but it's obviously not one of the best movies of the year. Thoroughly entertaining.

Yes, MBarnum, I haz returned from my crazily hectic life. Thanks to everyone for your "welcome back's". I still don't like that picture of Laura and I, I look like a 10 year old with a mouth full 'o metal. Eh. I am sophisticated and glamourous and ravishing now, I look nothing like a 10 year old. Hah.

I'm so glad that the Golddigger Girls (and Jason) had a good time in NYC! ANd I'm glad WICKED was to your liking. Sooomeday, I will be able to come on these trip-type-things.

I spent almost $400 on clothing and shoes yesterday. I now have a new coat, 3 new outfits, and 2 new pairs of shoes. I have gotten my MAMMA MIA outfit that ma mere made me buy. I must say, it is wonderful. A hot pink dress shirt with tiny plum stripes all over it, and flowy black pants, with leather mary jane's for le footwear. I shall be the belle of DC, :).

Jose, will you be there on January 18th?
...Walk in the sunshine...

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2004, 12:06:21 PM »

Sarah:  Nothing "swishy"?  Are you abandoning your trademark as if it were an old fashion trend?

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2004, 12:06:34 PM »

The hotel depicted in the photograph above (post 52) is, I believe, the stupidest building ever built in New York.  A total embarrassment that might possibly not look out of place in Miami, but here it's a roll-your-eyes, scratch-your-head, ask "What were they THINKING?" eyesore.  It violates every principle of good design.  *shudder*
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2004, 12:09:19 PM »

DR Jane - Your son spent new Year's eve in Budapest? Bet he had a good time. I do miss being among Hungarians. It's strange to leave your homeland when you're young. Sort of like shedding one skin and putting on another. When I'm with Hungarians (Hungarians I like, that is) I feel different. More at home in my skin. In Boulder, one of my best friends was a Hungarian musician. She combined two of my favorite things in the world - Music and Magyar.

Jason

« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2004, 12:09:44 PM »

Happy New Year to you, too, Noel. Sorry for offending your eyes with such an eyesore.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2004, 12:33:03 PM by Jason »

Jane

« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2004, 12:10:57 PM »

I still don't like that picture of Laura and I, I look like a 10 year old with a mouth full 'o metal. Eh. I am sophisticated and glamourous and ravishing now, I look nothing like a 10 year old. Hah.

I know how you feel about pictures.  I don't like the one Keith posted of me.  How about you post picture you do like of yourself, one that shows off your more sophisticated look.  It is certainly a look I have never been able to master.  Maybe you can give me some tips.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up