Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: MARCH TO THE BEAT OF A NEW DRUM  (Read 44710 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:MARCH TO THE BEAT OF A NEW DRUM
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2007, 06:26:11 AM »

DR Miss Karen - Love the avatar!

*And just how did you get your leprechaun to pose in that mansiere?  Lots of green beer?

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2007, 06:27:28 AM »

See, we're at Page Two already!

Everybody Dance!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2007, 06:27:46 AM »

I remember playing Red Rover, Red Rover in the front yard with neighbor kids as dusk settled on our little cul de sac. It's not a board game but we were more inventive in Coon Rapids in the 1960s. We didn't need no stinkin' board games. We played outside in the fresh early evening air  ;)

Of course we did play Sorry and Parcheesi and Monopoly, too.

FJL

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2007, 06:33:22 AM »

What's the name of that board game where you have to come up with as many songs as possible with the given words on the card you pick?

FJL

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2007, 06:35:28 AM »

Does Scrabble count as a board game?  I kind of enjoy that, as long as you play with people who allow you to check words and don't go in for the hardcore challenging and losing turns aspect.  If there's challenging, it just gets too intense and doesn't seem like fun at that point.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2007, 06:53:33 AM »

Well, I'm still feeling a bit unsettled, and I think I just need some fresh air.  So, I'm gonna head out for a bit now, instead of my usual "later".  So...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2007, 07:01:22 AM »

General well-being vibes to DR Jose

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2007, 07:02:33 AM »

DR Jose, ptooh! on such dreams!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2007, 07:07:37 AM »

One of the made up rules we always played with in Monopoly was putting all paid tax money and fines onto the middle of the board.  Whoever landed on Free Parking would get to pick up the current pile.

We also had a "baby rule" (used if you were playing with someone very young):  once you bought a property, no one else could buy the other properties in the same color group.  It would make the game go so much faster.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2007, 07:19:26 AM »

I play Scrabble for blood.  I also liked Boggle.  The early Trivial Pursuit editions I liked a lot...the Genus version, the Silver Screen, the Vintage years (1920's-50's), the Boomer edition.  Had 'em all.   I somehow suspect I would not enjoy many of the later editions that would include stuff from the eighties, nineties, and up till now.

I also like Yahtzee, Wise and Otherwise ( a variation of Dictionary where players finish some obscure "wise saying" and everyone tries to guess the real one), and Cranium has been fun the few times I've played it.

I used to like some military re-enactment board games of the Avalon-Hill variation like Gettysburg and one about the War of the Roses called Kingmaker, but I haven't played them for years.

There was also a baseball game called Strat-o-matic Baseball which was very detailed and based on actual percentages of actual players.  Every year, you ordered new cards of all the players on all the teams with their latest stats.  You managed, made up your line-up, pulled your pitchers, picked pinch-hitters...all very complicated based on statistics and odds and rolling the dice.  Larry Drake and I used to play all the time.

There was also a Sherlock Holmes game that had a booklet of mystery scenarios which you had to figure out.  It could take all afternoon.

As a kid I liked Clue.

I used to like Poker until it became all about one game...Texas Hold'em.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2007, 07:36:44 AM »

AAAGGGHHHHH!!!!!

-But that was a good AAAAGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Just got a phone call about a potential gig...  A gig I've actually been thinking about lately...  So....

AAAGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2007, 07:37:18 AM »

In any case...

Now I'm heading out....

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2007, 07:39:14 AM »

Was that a good AAAGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! or a bad AAAGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!?
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2007, 07:44:14 AM »

No one answered my question yesterday about Finale so I'll ask again:  is it a good software package to create midi files by copying notes from sheet music to a staff view?  Is it overkill--I see there's a skinny-down version called Finale SongWriter, but according to reviews for that product, it's limited to eight staves, which wouldn't have worked for something like the FOLLIES overture.  What can you Finale users tell me?
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2007, 07:57:04 AM »

Good morning!

We have a gray day here today and are expecting rain later this afternoon. Hopefully, it will hold off until after the memorial service I'm attending has concluded.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2007, 07:59:46 AM »

One DR (was it you, DR Jose) mentioned watching GREY'S ANATOMY tonight. You do know it's a rerun (it's the episode where the men go camping). You may not have seen it the first (or second) time it aired, but just wanted to alert you in case you're altering plans to see it thinking it's a new episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2007, 08:00:47 AM »

I have MEDIUM and CSI: NY from last night to watch at some point today. I must also watch THE BURMESE HARP, but I'll probably do that tonight and record the two new episodes of NBC comedies SCRUBS and 30 ROCK.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2007, 08:02:03 AM »

My favorite card games are hearts and gin. We played hearts in seemingly endless weekend marathons back in college. I really loved it then, and my first partner and I used to have another couple over to play hearts every Tuesday night back in the 1980s. Really haven't played it much since then.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2007, 08:04:23 AM »

DR DtM - I don't know from Finale.  I thought DR JMK used it, but I am not sure.

The only midi application I have a Cybersound studio that I haven't even installed on my newest computer yet.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2007, 08:04:58 AM »

One of the times that we had this topic before, I was thrilled to learn that several DRs here also played CAREERS as kids. It was by far my favorite board game when I was growing up, but I couldn't find people who'd want to play it much. They always wanted Clue or Monopoly.

I love Clue as well, and bought the computer version so I could play it alone.

I guess I don't have the right friends because none of them would think of playing board games now.

I think I also mentioned before that as a teenager, I was introduced to Candy Land. A friend had a very much younger brother who loved playing Candy Land, and I'd go to my friend's house and end up playing Candy Land with his little brother. I loved it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2007, 08:05:44 AM »

DR JOSE - perhaps your dream is indicating that you do not think your friend has been making very good choices lately or that he is leaving your sphere of friendship or influence.  

Your other dream seems to be an apprehension about your unpacking and final move into your new life.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2007, 08:06:26 AM »

New moon full eclipse in Virgo on Saturday - which could also be playing havoc with Virgo DR JOSE.

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2007, 08:06:36 AM »

TOD:  Heather has promised that when she comes out to LA in March, she is going to bring a game called "Bookopoly" - basically Monopoly with books?  I am not sure of the actual rules and goal, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.  

It'll pretty much seal the deal that we are a nerdy old married couple that have nothing else to do but sit around and play board games... :D
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2007, 08:06:59 AM »

Card games:

PIT!!!

and euchre, of course.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2007, 08:07:19 AM »

As far as current computer games, I play two all the time that come with Windows: Space Cadet 3-D Pinball and Spider Solitaire. Love both of these.

I have the CSI computer game sitting on my desk, and it's been here for years, and I've never cracked it open. (It was a Christmas gift.) I keep waiting for a lull in TV and DVDs so I can open this game and check it out, but that lull never seems to come. There's always something new to watch.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2007, 08:07:25 AM »

Yes it is a slow morning right now.  But I expect things will pick up....

Bad weather is predicted.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2007, 08:08:57 AM »

DR CASON - Bookopoly is a fascinating and fun game that beats Monopoly by several miles.....unless you are playing with someone who never read a book.

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2007, 08:09:02 AM »

One of the made up rules we always played with in Monopoly was putting all paid tax money and fines onto the middle of the board.  Whoever landed on Free Parking would get to pick up the current pile.

Ah yes, I remember this...nothing fostered hatred between players more than landing on Free Parking.  And what was worse is if you hit Free Parking right after someone had just raked in the cash, and you got nothing, or if best, a pittance of maybe $5 at most...

Damn you Rich Uncle Moneybags...
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2007, 08:12:54 AM »

And speaking of something new to watch, that Literary Classics DVD boxed set comes out next week that contains CAPTAIN HORATIO HORNBLOWER, THE THREE MUSKETEERS (1948), two versions of THE PRISONER OF ZENDA, and MADAME BOVARY. Argh! More DVDs to watch!

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2007, 08:15:24 AM »

I must hasten downstairs now to clean up. Best friend John and I are going to lunch before we embark to the memorial service. It's for someone whom we both worked with on stage, and she also directed me in a couple of plays in recent years. She was only three years older than I.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up