Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: TOO MANY WORDS  (Read 62183 times)

singdaw

Re:TOO MANY WORDS
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2007, 06:05:42 AM »

But not before cutting it in half, and wrapping it up in multiple plastic bags.

Um.....I think the police may want to ask you a few questions.   :o

singdaw

« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2007, 06:06:22 AM »

And welcome to page 3!!!!

[The network here at work is down, what can I say?]

singdaw

« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2007, 06:07:44 AM »

OK, DR Ben, spill it.

How was that Pirate Queen?

Ben

« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2007, 06:14:45 AM »

As I mentioned yesterday, I went to see the final dress of The Pirate Queen.

It has great production values and there are some very strong performances. The woman who plays Queen Elizabeth I is excellent

Linda Balgord

and Stephanie J. Block is very good as Grace O'Malley, the Pirate Queen.

There are some excellent moments in the show, especially near the end with QE and GO (Queen Elizabeth and Grace O'Malley in case you were wondering) but...you knew there was a but, didn't you.

The show is not, in my humble opinion, a mess (I heard it was something approaching that while playing in Chicago).

I wanted to like it more. I feel as if I should like it more, but I don't. It's because of the book and the music, I think. It's a great story, full of conflict and true love and death and life but it comes off as a History Channel Movie with music. The Irish Step Dancing is certainly rousing but I did shake my head a few times. The music does not stir me in the way parts of Les Miz does. I also find some of the lyrics rather trite and pedestrian. The same goes for the dialogue in the book. It's not a sung through piece, although there is an abundance of music.

It's staged well by Frank Galati. He makes some nice pictures and fills out the large Hilton Theatre stage.

I don't think the New York critics will like the show. There are aspects of Les Miz meets Riverdance meets Stomp meets Cats and I think that will be played up in reviews but if management works the publicity well I think the show will survive the bad reviews. There is a market for this kind of show. Riverdance was VERY successful in New York. The show begins previews tonight and opens in a month (April 5). We shall see how it all pans out on April 6.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 06:16:44 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2007, 06:16:04 AM »

Ah, syncronisity (or however you spell it).

I was just writing/posting the Pirate Queen review as you were asking me.

There it is!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2007, 06:28:54 AM »

I am the Pirate Queeeeeen....

No wait, that's a different show.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2007, 06:39:08 AM »

I'd be willing to bet that THE PIRATE QUEEN would be my second favorite pirate musical.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2007, 06:42:49 AM »

Good Morning! once again...

Well, I'm all dressed for my first day of rehearsal, and I'm almost all bundled up for my trek out into the cold.  Layers galore.

DR Ben - Thanks for The Pirate Queen report.  I think I'm seeing the show next week, so then we can compare notes as it were.  *And I hope you didn't have to wait too long out in the cold last night to get into the Hilton.  I passed the line as I was making my way to The Golden.  I was thinking of looking for you and Ant, but it was too damn cold.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2007, 06:43:28 AM »

OK... I'm off...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2007, 06:44:41 AM »

I don't know if I like pirate musicals, but I sure like their costumes!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ben

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2007, 06:53:36 AM »

We were lucky. We entered on the 43rd Street side and were allowed to wait in the lobby. Since it was general admission seating we were there very early. The lobby soon became crowded though and the doors were half open with people both on the street and in the doorway, but luckily the theatre doors opened soon after that and the mad rush for seats began.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2007, 07:04:16 AM »

TOD:

Lordy, I have all kinds of clothing items that I've held onto for years!  I have my brother-in-law's old National Guard jacket, which during my college years got me out of three speeding tickets.  I also have this salt-and-pepper wool car coat that I wore during the 80s--a group of my friends and I all bought the same coat--I don't exactly remember why.

A friend who's sister was a surgeon once gave me some surgical whites, which I painstakingly disassembled, dyed the separate parts in bright primary colors and resewed together.  I made three sets and wore them as loungewear.  I still have one set.

I have a collection of B.D. Baggies casual dress shirts that I can't seem to part with.  All worn out at the elbows, but they still have their vibrant colors and I'd like to recycle them somehow.  Maybe if I ever take up quilting...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2007, 07:26:19 AM »

RE:  HEROES

Wow!  Wow!  And WOW!  What an episode!  How are we gonna wait until April?

! ! ! ! ! SPOILER ALERT  ! ! ! ! !

I have a theory!  I believe that Grandmom Petrelli once worked for "The Company" but is now working against it.  Furthermore, I'm willing to bet that while Nathan is her natural son, she "adopted" Peter much the same way that HRG "adopted" Claire.  And it is because of an early manifestation of Peter's adaptive powers that he so resembles his mother and brother.  This will clear the way for Peter and Claire to eventually hook up without it being unseemly.  That is, if Peter lives through whatever Skyler puts him through...

When will April get here!
-- Anaïs Nin

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2007, 07:33:13 AM »

I would suggest this outfit as something DRS CILLA LIZ and LAURA might consider wearing in court.

I was thinking I would look stunning in this. Or maybe everyone else would be stunned.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2007, 07:56:24 AM »

Good morning!

Another beautiful day, another day that promises to be somewhat busy as I fetch my friend from the hospital and get him settled in back at home.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2007, 07:58:27 AM »

Really enjoyed your LEADING MEN interviews, DR Rodzinski. Keep 'em comin'!

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2007, 08:00:20 AM »

With no recorded shows from last night, I'm free today to watch some DVDs.

I am going to take the Special Edition of PETER PAN off the shelf and watch it. The reviews of the latest Platinum Edition have sung its praises to the skies saying it is a marked improvement on the Special Edition, and I want to look at my copy and see if it's problematic enough to seek a replacement with this newer edition. I'm thinking it's going to look fine enough, even as much as I love the movie.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2007, 08:01:10 AM »

I will also watch the next MR. MOTO in the boxed set, chosen because they're all pretty brief in length, and I should be able to fit both of these films into the afternoon.

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2007, 08:04:36 AM »

I have an old leather jacket, the first one I ever bought for myself - a brown bomber jacket that I bought one size larger at the time than I was wearing (size 40) so I would be sure to get a lot of wear out of it. Now, of course, I wear a size 44, so I can't even fit into the thing, but I can't seem to part with it. The knitted cuffs are just a tiny bit frayed, but the leather shell is still in immaculate condition, and it brings back memories of good times when I see it hanging in the coat closet.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2007, 08:07:22 AM »

Thanks for the report about AVENUE Q, DR Jose. When I saw the show a month after it won the Tony, I went in thinking it couldn't have deserved the prize over WICKED, but honestly, it was so much fun, so charming, so tuneful, so RIGHT that I could easily see why it won the award (I saw WICKED and THE BOY FROM OZ on that trip). Had I been a Tony voter, I probably would have voted for it, too.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2007, 08:15:02 AM »

Cilla-GREAT news about your boss & the possible future referrals!

I have had similar reactions to smoke from fires, sometimes lasting a couple of weeks.  It depends how long I was exposed.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2007, 08:18:37 AM »

Re: "Heroes" and Linderman:

I can think of few actors they could have chosen to introduce Linderman -- who HAS to be perceived as powrful and dangerous, at a minimum -- who could have been as perfect as Malcolm McDowell, especially given the kitchen scene.

Joel Grey could have done it, too.

There is an underlying current of menace connected with the character now that might not have worked half so well with another actor.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2007, 08:21:58 AM »

For my birthday whien I was in high school, I asked my mother to make me a cape. Who knows why? It was black fabric with a slight  fur texture and lined with red satin. I wore it a surprisng amount, even in college! Later, it was handy for Halloween. Still got it!

Glad you didn't throw it out. Halloween costumes defy all the rules of decluttering, IMHO.

(Can you tell I like Halloween?)

Jane

« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2007, 08:22:38 AM »

Cilla, Dakota & Sindgdaw, thank you for the vibes.  Sherlock still isn’t walking right yet.

LOL Jose, not like hiking-right.  Most of all he misses playing with the other dogs on the trail.

Rodzinsky, thanks for the vibes.  It sounds as if you are having a good time in L.A.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2007, 08:24:37 AM »

I also can't give up the two H.S. chorus dresses my mother made for me. Double-knit fabric...ugly dresses that I can't seem to give up. No one would ever buy them at a consignment store or even Goodwill and they would probably get thrown out, which I couldn't bear the thought of, because...

my mother made them, with love. Argh.

How do people get rid of stuff like that? I really need to do some purging if we're ever going to move!

I have real trouble getting rid of things like that, too, EDI. One friend suggested I put aside a small box for "treasures." One small box wouldn't do it!!

Jane

« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2007, 08:25:24 AM »

Singdaw the quilt story is beautiful.  I’m sure you will always cherish it.

Matt H-Continued healing vibes at home for your friend.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2007, 08:27:43 AM »

TOD:   One of the best gifts I ever got was a quilt made by my mother.  She clandestinely collected a bunch of my old favorite T-shirts that were too worn to wear, cut the significant art/lettering bits into uniform squares, and turned them into that wonderful quilt, which I still treasure!

What a wonderful idea! And what a thoughtful mother you have/had. I've often thought of recycling old favorites into a quilt, but never thought of using favorite tee-shirts.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2007, 08:34:01 AM »

Well, I eventually got over that "fear", and threw it out.  But not before cutting it in half, and wrapping it up in multiple plastic bags.

::)

Oh, dear. BIG belly laugh on that one! I think that is the funniest toss/cull/purge/declutter story I've ever heard. That's priceless. But I do understand the sentiment behind it.

It's a good thing no one spotted you and called the police!

MBarnum

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2007, 08:36:19 AM »

I have a Spandau Ballet T-shirt that I bought back in the 80s when that band was popular. I couldn't squeeze into to save my life, but still I keep it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2007, 08:37:40 AM »

When I cleaned out my closet last summer - I threw away 15 bags of clothing....

15 bags? Oh, my God! I probably SHOULD do that, but I can't!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23   Go Up