Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY  (Read 45478 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2007, 04:09:49 AM »

FRUIT OF THE DAY
A professor at CCNY for a physiological psych class told his class about bananas.  He said the expression "going bananas" is from the effects of bananas on the brain.  Read on:
Never, put your banana in the refrigerator!!!
This is interesting.
After reading this, you'll never look at a banana in the same way again.

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school ( England ) were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking &Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, "A banana a day keeps the doctor away!"

PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time! I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes?? Take the INSIDE of the banana skin, and rub directly on the shoe...polish with dry cloth. Amazing fruit !!!  

The fruit with attitude:
der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 04:28:58 AM »

Good Morning Laura.

I just caught up and now the daily chore (similar to Matt's weekly chore).

DERBRUCER

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 04:30:20 AM »

Maybe I should take a picture of my dirty oatmeal bowl, adorned with a banana peel.

der Brucer

Ben

« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 04:34:12 AM »

Last night Amy/Edi asked

I just listened to DR Ben on Radio Wales...what a melodious voice! I might have to snag him as a narrator one day.

Ben, where do you record your segments?

Currently I do it in our bedroom with a microphone connected to the computer and a shareware recording program called Audio Record Wizard. I then burn the reviews to a disc and mail it to our friends in Cardiff. When the whole thing began I recorded the segments over the phone. The producer would call me around 7am (Noon Cardiff time) at my office. Since I was the only person in at that time I would sit at my desk and record the segments. It became easier to record them on my computer and send them out. For a while, instead of burning them to a disk I sent them as sound files in an e-mail. E-mails can get lost or blocked or erased so the disc seems to be the best option.

Don't tempt me with offers of narration. Even though it's not "acting" I love that kind of stuff  :D

Ben

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 04:35:11 AM »

Ah, Bruce is back. When I got to this page he had disappeared and it was just Laura and me.

Today I had freeze-dried strawberries and an apple in my oatmeal. Very good. And the ever present cup of black coffee.

Ben

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2007, 04:45:20 AM »

I just finished listening to the OCR of Fiddler on the Roof (1964). I'm now listening to the OCR of The Rothschilds, a score I really like. I've never seen the show but it seems to fall apart at the end.

After The Rothschilds I have the 1995 London Cast Recording of Mack and Mabel with Howard McGillin and Caroline O'Connor, the OCR of Forever Plaid (one of Laura's favorite shows), the OCR (1960) of The Fantasticks, the Music Theatre of Lincoln Center  revival cast recording of Annie Get Your Gun (Ethel, Bruce Yarnell, Benay Venuta and Jerry Orbach) and the OCR of Ain't Misbehavin'

Don't know what we will do this evening after dinner. Channel 21 is in the midst of fundraising so our usual Friday night As Time Goes By viewing is on hold. We have other material to watch.

Saturday Anthony will be in dance class and Sunday we are having dinner at an upscale Chinese restaurant called Xing.

Off to finish my morning chore.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2007, 04:48:03 AM »

CAN'T WAIT!

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 04:51:09 AM »

Thanks for the evening report DR EDISAURUS.  Of course I will fund CALYPSO FACTO, if I win the Powerball.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 04:52:14 AM »

Good morning, Ben. I was catching up on yesterday's posts and today's notes.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2007, 04:53:26 AM »

Work day.  :(

TOD:

CD:  Bombay Baby

DVD: Ocean's Twelve

VHS: A GATHERING OF EAGLES

I am anxiously awaiting the BK report on the Lucy-Desi-Danny-Marjorie episode.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2007, 04:54:02 AM »

I am thinking I will not go to the office today. Tomorrow I have to be there all day while the new piano is being delivered and set up.

I am hoping that when DR MusicGuy's hand is all better, he might come and treat us to an evening of piano music on the new grand piano.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2007, 04:56:16 AM »

Perhaps after DR Sandra and I get our lunches at Einstein Bagels and I drop her off, I might go to the arboretum and walk around for a while. The fact that they are having their member's day plant sale would have nothing to do with it, of course.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2007, 04:57:29 AM »

DIRTY HARRY HITS THE STAGE

der Brucer

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2007, 05:00:49 AM »

Re: last night's AMERICAN IDOL results.

SPOILERS.

DR MattH, i always fast forward through the show as well. Takes less time!  The person who i was really surprised at was sabrina.  I know that we have not seen much of her backstory. But i really thought she was one of the better singers.  I don't think that she would have won. But i am sad that she didn't even get to make it to the top 12.

Of course the producers are very predictable. They have haley standing there with sabrina (and we all think haley is going home because of her poor comments). And we have sanjaya with sundance. They always love to make shocking vote-offs!

I think the most shocked person there was paula.

I wonder if haley stayed because of simon's harsh comments to her. I really don't understand it otherwise. But i am so happy that antonella is gone. Never liked her.  I also am happy jared is gone. He seemed nice enough. But he never grew on me.

I am a bit surprised that sundance is gone. After his first audition, he seemed untouchable. The message boards were flooded with adoration for him. And now he hasn't even made the top 12.

I am curious to know whether the men or the women have the biggest following. That will determine if haley goes home next. Since sanjaya is apparently popular, i guess he will have a few more weeks. Unless the women are much more popular than the men.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2007, 05:01:22 AM »

DerBrucer, be sure to plant some caterpillar host plants in your garden as well! You can show the grandlads the whole cycle.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2007, 05:01:51 AM »

I am hoping that when DR MusicGuy's hand is all better, he might come and treat us to an evening of piano music on the new grand piano.

Never fear, he plays by ear :)

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2007, 05:02:07 AM »

And yes, DR EDISAURUS - I change my screen name and avatar each year on my birthday.

Speaking of which:

Happy Birthday to Miss Barbara Deustch

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2007, 05:03:25 AM »

By the way, it would be too late for me to plant said garden mat -- these things would be blooming now (or very shortly) here.

It is not a very good wildflower year here. We didn't get rain early enough in the winter for the things to germinate. Usually my yard is ablaze with color in February, but this year, bleh. Not as bad as last year, though.

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2007, 05:08:53 AM »

Hey can anyone who knows tell me if GHOST WHISPERER and CLOSE TO HOME are repeats tonight. My tv guide has GW as a repeat and CTH as new.

I really with that cbs.com had "new" written in front of their new shows. It would really help. Thanks!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2007, 05:11:03 AM »

DerBrucer, be sure to plant some caterpillar host plants in your garden as well!

What would work that winters well without looking like a weed?

The Grandlads parents (and the neighbors) take a very dim view of my attempts at "native plants" - they think a front yard in the woods should look like a green at Pebble Beach. There were many complaints because I let the wild blackberries grow. The idea is to use as much fertilizer as possible and water frequently so the chemicals can wash into the protected marshland behind the house - get enough poisons in the creek and maybe we'll be rid of those pesky herons.

der Brucer

Makes you think maybe God wasted nature on Man.

Michael

« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2007, 05:14:38 AM »

FRUIT OF THE DAY
A professor at CCNY for a physiological psych class told his class about bananas.  He said the expression "going bananas" is from the effects of bananas on the brain.  Read on: The fruit with attitude:
der Brucer

A different kid of banana. A Bic

or go to youtube

Singing version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTSUsNbJtSU

or talk version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu9_VD5bWJE
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2007, 05:14:55 AM »

Happy Birthday to Miss Barbara Deustch!

Michael

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2007, 05:15:10 AM »

TOD

Nothing planned this weekend.
Never stop dreaming.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2007, 05:16:29 AM »

Hey can anyone who knows tell me if GHOST WHISPERER and CLOSE TO HOME are repeats tonight. My tv guide has GW as a repeat and CTH as new.

Mine agrees. (I remember the GW from October)

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2007, 05:17:47 AM »

We didn't get rain early enough in the winter for the things to germinate...

Rabbits need rain to make bunnies?

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2007, 05:21:57 AM »

A different kid of banana. A Bic

Singing version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTSUsNbJtSU

Charles Nelson Reilly - Fruit of the Day!

der Brucer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2007, 05:23:38 AM »

Off to work.

I remember the BiC Banana!!

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2007, 05:24:29 AM »

Interesting LOST tidbit arrived in the ABC weekly email.

I don't usually read this stuff.

It is very vague. But quite interesting.

SPACE

SPACE

It says, "claire's connection to another survivor comes to light".
Hmmm i am very curious who this could be.

Btw, did anybody laugh when those two new people were standing around the ping pong table and sawyer turned to one of them and said, "who the hell are you?" :)

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2007, 05:29:41 AM »

What would work that winters well without looking like a weed?

I don't know -- your winters and my winters are completely different!

It also depends on what kind of butterflies you have there.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2007, 05:30:29 AM »

Woody had a 5:30 AM wake-up call asking him to please come to work at 6!

Fletcher now want cuddle time....

der Brucer

And my oatmeal bowl needs washing (sounds vaguely familiar)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up