Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TIVO AND DISH  (Read 21749 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:TIVO AND DISH
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2004, 11:54:40 AM »

Yes, I too used to watch Y&R, I started decades ago....and was intrigued by the stories of the Foster and Brooks families.   Now of course it is all different.  All of my favorite stars and families are long gone, although I stuck with it through the late 1980's and early 1990's.  Now I will watch it now and then just to remind myself, that it still exists.  It's theme song is still lovely.

Mr BK on TCM this afternoon....THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2004, 11:58:54 AM »

Enough for now: I've got to get out of the house.  For one thing, I need the exercise.  For another, I've got to see about getting ahold of the owner/manager of a local eatery called the Purple Parrot, to let him know about some comments made about his place over at eGullet.  Somehow, it makes more sense when negative comments are made for them to be heard by someone who can react, and to give that person a chance to react.  This is particularly true since the comments on one plate were very positive, which means (to me) that this was not an internet acid injection.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2004, 12:11:08 PM »

DR Dan-in-Toronto: The two songs would indeed be considered Treasures. Allen was very "In" here for a short time in the 70's (very out with any one young!). His campness was sort of titillating to the Mums and Dads. "I Go To Rio" was major radio and sales hit. "I Still Call Australia Home" would be his best known song - more as a turntable hit than as a best selling recording. Qantas used the song for all its OZ promotions and still does. "Saddler" would be a close second as an OZ favourite. The Allen Brothers had a very minor hit "My Secret" in Melbourne in 1960. I think there were two other charted 45s in Sydney and Brisbane - they were never major stars. The successful "I Go To Rio" was followed by a cover of the Chris Montes "The More I See You" which would have reached the top 10 nationally. A couple of the Allen Lp's sold well in the 70's - on the strength of his hits and his dymanic life show. No way was he considered a National treasure himself (like Olivia and The Seekers) but everyone would know those songs.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2004, 12:14:18 PM »

Blue and cloudless (almost) skies here in Hawaii!!  
And I think we're having pancakes for breakfast, judging from the smells coming from the kitchen :)
Count me in as one who is gonna have a hard time going back to work on Friday at eight.  I've gotten into the habit of a 12 or 1 sleep time, and 9 or 10 awakening.  Doesn't sound too bad until you translate it back to west coast time, 2 or 3 and 11 or 12.  Oy!   well, that's why we invented alarm clocks.  
I forget who asked, but I'll answer...we THOUGHT we rented the extended DVD version of LOTR, but it turned out just to be the regular one.  Oh well...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 12:15:08 PM by Ann »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2004, 12:20:05 PM »

T'was I who asked, dear DR Ann.  The extended versions are well worth having in your collection.

Before I head out, I really should repeat my request to our exalted BK: could you provide, in words, a description of der Brucer and myself?  You are, after all, one of the few people who knows we are not one and the same, having met us both!  (The use of the word "sexy" is not required in describing me, but he might appreciate it!   ;D)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Emily

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2004, 12:31:30 PM »

OMG

School starts again TOMORROW!!!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2004, 01:00:43 PM »

I don't think I have ever watched Y&R, but when I was in high school (late 70s early 80s) I was addicted to this sort of religious themed soap opera called ANOTHER LIFE which aired on that religious network whose name I think was CBN. It turned into The Family Channel at some point in history. Anyhow, the ANOTHER LIFE was a lot of fun and it starred Tom Urich, brother of Robert Urich.

I did briefly watch General Hospital while Matt Battaglia was appearing on it back in 1997 or so.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2004, 01:02:43 PM »

DR Tomovoz: Thanks so much for the information on Peter Allen. It helps makes TBFO CD even more enjoyable.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2004, 01:09:42 PM »

Indeed a pleasure Dan. I guess you will be seeking out the cast recording of "Legs Diamond" now!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2004, 01:20:03 PM »

BK - Goodtime Network is very strange.  I don't watch it all that much.  It's on 110 on my Aldelphia digital system.  I believe Tues. night is all the old Warner detective shows, Thurs. The Warner Cowboy shows, Wednesday is war night with Combat, Gallant Men, etc.  Though Combat seems to be shown a lot at odd hours.  At around ten pm or so, they used to show a lot of ballroom dancing competitions.  Weekends had some old Variety shows from the seventies, it seemed, stuff like Tony Orlando and Dawn.  During the day, they have this white-haired gent in suspenders who seems to be a jack-of-all-trades, does antique shows, cooking shows, hosts old, old "B" movies.  My pal Nick Clooney used to host the night-time Warner Bros. stuff, but since he is now running as a Democratic candidate for Congress in Kentucky, I don't know if he's still hosting.

Matt H., I remember and love Burke's Law, that would be a great show for some station like Good Times to revive.

To last night's late indirect assumption that I am a cynic because I dared to criticize some aspects of Lord of the Rings.  Well, I suppose all romantics and idealists inevitably become cynics in some ways, so I suppose I have to cop to it somewhat.  However, I don't think it true in this sense. The caveat has always been that I said I've generally enjoyed the films.  My complaints are quibbles.  Much of my six-thousand book library is made up fantasy novels, I can still thrill to and delight in the wonders of Ray Harryhausen's mythical faery tales, despite that their special effects now seem archaic next to LOTR.  My willing suspension of disbelief is still more than willing and I go into a film like LOTR rooting for it.

But that doesn't mean I abandoned totally every theatrical/dramatic instinct I've honed over a thirty year career as an actor, writer, scholar, occasional producer, and even occasional director...Sorry, for me, some of the scenes in Return have an emotional sameness to them, some of them try too hard to be a moment.  Movies have rhythms and up and downs, highs and lows.  Even a horror film or suspense film cannot sustain one mood throughout.  There have to be  moments of release and transition and shifting qualities.  

It's a chronic complaint I have with Spielberg too often...particularly on such films like A.I. and Empire of the Sun.   When you try to make every scene a moment...like I felt he did in those two films... you end up with no moments.  Because everything comes at you at the same pitch and level.  There is no variation.

This is not the case with Return of the King, for the most part, mind you, just every once in a while.  It will be very interesting to see all three put together though, because we have a lot of thos scenes in Two Towers ,as I remember.

Restraint, restraint, resist the urge to wring tears out of every scene, or heartbreak out of every scene, or laughs out of every scene.

Again, I invoke my Loesser quote:  "The heart must bleed, not slobber."  Sometimes "loess" is more!  

I think to suggest that, for me, Return of the King was a little too moist...does not make me a heartless, curmudgeonly cynic.  It just means it didn't work as completely for me as it did for you.

Panni...Yes, there's nothing worse than bad Tennessee Williams.  I remember having to sit through so many badly-interpreted Williams heroines in my acting classes at University because all these young actresses thought a southern accent was the easiest to do.  And even if the accent was easily accomplished, they forgot the complex Williams characters aren't the easiest to do.

Still, I don't think I've ever walked out of anything.  I'm always hoping that there might be something to justify the production coming up or, if nothing else, one can always learn from bad experiences.  But mostly, I feel I have no right to criticize something if I haven't seen it all the way through.

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2004, 01:25:23 PM »

DRs Jose and Jennifer - I should out myself as a closet Y&R fan. ;)  I used to watch it every summer when I wasn't in school, and every once in a while I'll tune in.  I don't really follow the show anymore, but it's not hard to figure out what's been going on after you watch a couple of episodes.  I also ended up watching B&B when they moved Sheila over there years ago.

Hi LC! Glad you've come out of the closet! :)

And that fire story is funny, I guess (except for the guy whose sweater is ruined!).

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2004, 01:33:25 PM »

Okay am I to take it personally that nobody wants my cut off right arm? :)

Heck I offered to include the diamond rings on said arm.

Okay I'll just assume that none of your are avid Sex & The City addicts.

Btw, for some reason Walmart was super packed today. They were practically giving away Christmas stuff.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2004, 01:35:10 PM »

I'm glad to see all these closet soap watchers.  You guys should start watching again, so we can talk about it :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2004, 02:01:43 PM »

I don't appear to get Goodtimes on Direct TV.  THAT'S the stupid thing with all these various cable companies - some have good stuff that the others don't have.  I mean, I have lots of good stuff on Direct TV, but I wouldn't mind having that Warners channel.

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2004, 02:21:27 PM »

the brand spanking new Broadway Radio Show is now up and running -- ENJOY!
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2004, 02:22:43 PM »

I've never had a dish but TimeWarner Cable here in Charlotte is infamous for adding new channels without much prior announcement. One just sort of stumbles across them while surfing the channel guide. They even added some high definition channels and didn't bother including the info in their monthly statement until they had been running two months. Luckily, a friend had alerted me to their having been added days after they were.

I forgot to check for the GoodTime network while I was watching CHARLIE BROWN'S ALL-STARS a little while ago, but I'll remember to check when I go back downstairs later to prepare for my evening viewing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2004, 02:31:27 PM »

A new radio show!  Get your butt cheeks and butt ears ready and give it a listen!  And how many of you still haven't read Miss Stephanie J. Block's interview?  I want a hand count.  And for those who haven't, whaddaya think we're taking the time to do these things for?  Bitch-slapping a'comin' soon, I feel it.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2004, 02:33:21 PM »

Very well said, DR Charles.
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2004, 02:41:02 PM »

All of the rain left DRAnn in Hawaii and came to Indiana...all day today...and all day tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 04:57:27 PM by JRand53 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2004, 02:41:17 PM »

Oh and all day yesterday as well.

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2004, 02:44:24 PM »

A wonderful way to start my day. Parcels at the Post Office from DRs. The joyous season is still very much with us.  A public announcement of thanks. Private thanks are of course just that!
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2004, 02:46:05 PM »

Another reason I look forward to the extended LOTR versions is that I'm hoping some of the cut material, when restored, will level out the lopsided scenes and balance things more.  You know if you have a cut scene with Sam and Frodo between two crying scenes, maybe it doesn't look like as much crying as it did when the crying scenes were slammed together with no buffer.

I just got off the phone with a mate of mine who has read the books four times and just came back from the movie (which he loved, by the by); but he was telling me about stuff in the books that is not in the movie...and I'm going:  "I'd have liked to have seen that scene. " Maybe that's the stuff that will be in the extended versions.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2004, 02:50:50 PM »

Finally - the first pictures from the surface of

MARS

Interesting!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 02:51:32 PM by JRand53 »

Jed

« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2004, 02:57:09 PM »

I think I first saw the Sondheim wish-list in the NY Times Magazine (on Sondheim's 70th birthday?). I never really understood why "Silverware" (though fun) made the cut. (Of course, it was his list, not mine; but I couldn't see him picking it.) What seemed a little too obvious, though, was that there wasn't a single Jerry Herman song on the long and eclectic list.

Just my tastes, but I really doubt I'd include any Jerry Herman on such a list either.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2004, 02:57:37 PM »

BK, you're so harsh with us. You must have the ability to see how many hits the interview has had. How do you know we haven't read it? (I read and enjoyed it, but I don't think I ever got around to mentioning it here.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jed

« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2004, 03:07:40 PM »

I guess my body has just decided recently that it doesn't need much more than 3 hours of sleep.  Last night, yet again, I was awake until the Simbulan-ic hour of 6am.  Simply was not tired at all.  Woke up just after 9 and feel just fine and/or dandy today.  Good enough for me. :)  Oh, and I did manage to catch Double Indemnity at about 4am.  Still a very enjoyable film, says I.

Now I shall continue to grieve the Seahawks overtime loss... :(

Jed

« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2004, 03:09:52 PM »

Oh, and I have also read the current interview.  I'm a good boy, I am.  And shall listen to the new Broadway Radio Show later today or tomorrow.

And I've also surpassed 400 posts!

Tomovoz

« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2004, 03:13:14 PM »

Love the "Simbulanic Hour" DR Jed. It means more to us Washingtonians I guess.
Re the Sondheim list: Horse and courses as you would day but as much as I can enjoy the work of Mr Herman on a "feel good" basis, they would not make a list of mine either.  
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2004, 03:17:49 PM »

I enjoy a lot of Mr Herman's work, but it turns out that some of his songs I like, well, they were written by uncredited others.  But he is a snappy dresser!

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2004, 03:25:06 PM »

Hey did DRs Andrea and Ann switch places? I'll bet DR Andrea wishes she was in Hawaii :)

As do I.

Anybody see Trading Spaces yesterday? Rick actually did his first decent room (a red and brown luxury master bedroom).  And Laurie did a really nice den/exercise room. Although that wall she built would make me totally claustrophobic. I think she should have put up a screen instead.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up