Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TIVO AND DISH  (Read 21577 times)

td

• td
Re:TIVO AND DISH
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2004, 08:25:57 AM »

Oh, great! Now everyone is going to be talking about INCHES on HHW!
Pinched or otherwise.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2004, 08:32:26 AM »

BK et al:

I just started reading SONDHEIM ON MUSIC by MARK EDEN HOROWITZ.
In that Book Sondheim is quoted on songs that he wished he'd written.

"Some songs,I chose because they have enormous freshness and invention,for example SILVERWARE,which I suspect most of you don't know,but which is one of the most extraordinarily unusual songs ever written."

The song by the way is from WE TAKE THE TOWN with Music by Harold Carr and Lyrics by Matt Dubey and starred Robert Preston.A Flop!

My question to you BK is since you recorded that song on your  UNSUNG MUSICALS do you agree with Mr. Sondheim's appraisal? And does anyone out there have the lyrics to that song?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2004, 08:42:22 AM »

Good morning, Dear Readers!

I'll be heading to the County of Orange today for a luncheon/matinee date with my mother.  We will be seeing The Last 5 Years in its California premiere production, featuring Kim Huber and Rick Cornette, at the Laguna Playhouse.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2004, 08:45:59 AM »

I think I first saw the Sondheim wish-list in the NY Times Magazine (on Sondheim's 70th birthday?). I never really understood why "Silverware" (though fun) made the cut. (Of course, it was his list, not mine; but I couldn't see him picking it.) What seemed a little too obvious, though, was that there wasn't a single Jerry Herman song on the long and eclectic list.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2004, 08:49:05 AM »

After Jerry Herman's gloating little jabs about "hummable show tunes" at the 1984 Tonys (though Herman declares in his autobiography that it wasn't meant as a slight against Sondheim), I'm not surprised Sondheim didn't pick anything by him.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2004, 09:06:12 AM »

Yes DR JOSE - DR KERRY is correct - pinch an inch was for Special K!

I don't have TIVO either.  And I don't think Goodlife is on DIRECTtv, at least it's not on mine.  So I get care packages now and then from DR MBARNUM.  I certainly enjoyed 77 Sunset Strip much better when they were detectives in LA than when they decided to be spies going around the world....which was in reality just another part of the WB lot, obviously.

Enjoy the show DRJAY!

And you know, DRMATTH - no matter what Mr Herman may say - he was taking a jab at Sondheim, and even I - sitting out here in Indiana when he said it - knew that he was.  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 09:07:14 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Emily

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2004, 09:09:48 AM »

I'll be heading to the County of Orange today for a luncheon/matinee date with my mother.  We will be seeing The Last 5 Years in its California premiere production, featuring Kim Huber and Rick Cornette, at the Laguna Playhouse.

Jay I am so jealous of you!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2004, 09:11:08 AM »

77 SUNSET STRIP was the show with the highest "cool" factor when I was going to elementary school. All the guys were so handsome, suave, and hip. I do need to tune in the reruns to see if it brings back any memories.

BTW, anyone remember the classy mystery series BURKE'S LAW? He became a secret agent during that show's last year on the air, too (changed the title to AMOS BURKE SECRET AGENT, I believe), but the early years with a cast of guest star suspects each week were the most fun.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2004, 09:14:24 AM »

"And you know, DRMATTH - no matter what Mr Herman may say - he was taking a jab at Sondheim, and even I - sitting out here in Indiana when he said it - knew that he was.  "

I agree complete.y That Tony telecast was one of the ugliest awards ceremonies I've ever seen. It was obvious there were two camps - the Herman/LA CAGE group and the Sondheim/SUNDAY IN THE PARK group vying for recognition, and comments from winners seemed acid-edged all night long.

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2004, 09:15:01 AM »

DR Jennifer-

OH - Do we need to put "Y&R Talk" at the top of our posts now?  ;)

Has Heather Tom really left the show?  Or is her character just taking one of those "vacations" that soap opera characters seem to take?  And do you think that she'll come back as Britney Spears?  hehe...

And where's Billy now, Heather's really cute brother?

Yes I think we may need to put soap talk at the top of our posts, so the rest of the DRs don't die of boredom!

Heather Tom is gone. She moved to NYC and will not be coming back (she's actually on OLTL, although I have not seen her on that show).  Her real life brother, who played Billy, also left the show a while back (and his replacement Billy has also left). I'm not sure where David Tom is. I did like him.

DR Jose: I should not be speaking to you right now. Because all that talk of pancakes is driving me crazy. I LOVE blueberry pancakes a lot.

It's funny but I have not eaten fruit in like a month. And I don't even crave it. But when you said pancakes, all I could think of was blueberry pancakes.

I'm not even sure if they have pancake type restaurants here (there must be some that do serve them). We don't have anything like the IHOP.  Maybe DRs Emily and Andrea can advise me.

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2004, 09:19:17 AM »

I am jealous, jealous, jealous. And I was just gonna say that DR Emily is probably turning green now (then I glanced down and saw her post).

Okay we are the jealous girls.

Have fun. And tell us EVERYTHING!

Emily

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2004, 09:21:56 AM »

I'm not even sure if they have pancake type restaurants here (there must be some that do serve them). We don't have anything like the IHOP.  Maybe DRs Emily and Andrea can advise me.

I don't think we have any pure "pancake houses" but there are a lot of breakfasty places like Chez Cora, not to mention non-chains which serve great brunches.

For example, I am off to Restaurant B&M with my family right now for brunch - maybe I'll indulge in some pancakes!

Oh Jenn btw... for your Atkins-y self, when I was in NY I was absolutely AMAZED at how institutionalized low-carbs food has become.  Not only were there Atkins-friendly food aisles in pharmacies, but diners/restaurants/delis also often made reference to their food being low-carb.

Clearly there are a LOT of people following this guy... I feel for the bread makers of the world!  :(
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 09:22:10 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2004, 09:25:37 AM »

Well... I'm off to the land of Camelot for the last time...

See you all after the party...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2004, 09:32:57 AM »

I don't think we have any pure "pancake houses" but there are a lot of breakfasty places like Chez Cora, not to mention non-chains which serve great brunches.

Oh yeah I forgot about the Chez Cora type places. There are a few out here. But I never eat there!

DR Emily also wrote:
Oh Jenn btw... for your Atkins-y self, when I was in NY I was absolutely AMAZED at how institutionalized low-carbs food has become.  Not only were there Atkins-friendly food aisles in pharmacies, but diners/restaurants/delis also often made reference to their food being low-carb.

Clearly there are a LOT of people following this guy... I feel for the bread makers of the world!  :(

Wow, how cool. I wish we had more of that here. Although I was so happy to see a Subway commercial last week (they have new ATKINS WRAPS with low carbs that I want to try).

I really do feel a lot better in the last month.  But my big resolution is to exercise more.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2004, 09:39:28 AM »

Dear Readers Emily and Jennifer--

I cannot fathom at all why you two would be jealous that I am having lunch with my mother today.

;D
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2004, 09:50:26 AM »

Dear Readers Emily and Jennifer--

I cannot fathom at all why you two would be jealous that I am having lunch with my mother today.

;D

Yep and since she's going to the show with you we are jealous of her too :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2004, 10:04:52 AM »

77 SUNSET STRIP was the show with the highest "cool" factor when I was going to elementary school. All the guys were so handsome, suave, and hip. I do need to tune in the reruns to see if it brings back any memories.

BTW, anyone remember the classy mystery series BURKE'S LAW? He became a secret agent during that show's last year on the air, too (changed the title to AMOS BURKE SECRET AGENT, I believe), but the early years with a cast of guest star suspects each week were the most fun.

I watched BURKE’S LAW, however don’t remember the name change.  I had to look it up.  I also liked Gene Berry in BAT MATTERSON.  

I never missed an episode of 77 SUNSET STRIP.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2004, 10:07:20 AM »

TIVO stays on all the time, constantly working for your viewing satisfaction.  

Nice pic George.

Echo is waiting for her walk in the snow covered fields.  I would prefer to go back to sleep.

Jason

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2004, 10:39:17 AM »

Ms. Britney Spears is married. I just read it on AOL so it must be true! She and her childhood friend apparently got hitched in Las Vegas as a joke, and now she's going to try to have the marriage annulled. Oy.

I'm off to my friend's house to watch some movies...rainy day movies--THE COLOR PURPLE, STEEL MAGNOLIAS, THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and perhaps AUNTIE MAME. Yes, I'm the one providing all of these films, obviously, but I don't mind...I love all of those films.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2004, 10:46:52 AM »

Quite a few songs on Mr. Sondheim's wish list were recorded by me way prior to that list being written, and a few of them he heard for the first time on my recordings.  But he was kind enough to send me the music to the She Loves Me cut song (Tell Me I Look Nice) which he told me I should definitely do.  Like Silverware, it's a nice song but one wonders why he would have wanted to write it.  

George: I went to school with Lorraine Feather and see her from time to time.  She also sings one track on the Sweeney Todd in Jazz album I did with Terry Trotter.  I loved working with her because she's the only singer ever who brought her own mic with her.  Very talented, and, of course, her father was Leonard Feather, who wrote many many books and articles on jazz.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2004, 10:50:44 AM »

Oh, great! Now everyone is going to be talking about INCHES on HHW!
Pinched or otherwise.

And we have BK playing with his TIVO!

O Tempore, O Mores!

der dirty-minded Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2004, 10:56:07 AM »

Wow! More pictures from Mars!

When I was in HS, a group of us attempted to form an extra-curricular club called "The Rocket Society" - an off-shoot of our HS Astronomy Club. We were denied permission  because Rocketry was considered a frivolous fantasy, unworthy of serious student interest. However, a few months after I entered college, the Russians had launched Sputnik, and a month before I graduated, we had our first man in Space. "Frivolous Fantasy" Indeed!

My eariest memories of Mars:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2004, 11:03:08 AM »

No one has yet answered my important Tivo question - is this thing supposed to just be ON all the time.  There is no power switch anywhere that I can see, so I'm guessing the answer is yes.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2004, 11:04:38 AM »

"And you know, DRMATTH - no matter what Mr Herman may say - he was taking a jab at Sondheim, and even I - sitting out here in Indiana when he said it - knew that he was.  "

I agree completely That Tony telecast was one of the ugliest awards ceremonies I've ever seen. It was obvious there were two camps - the Herman/LA CAGE group and the Sondheim/SUNDAY IN THE PARK group vying for recognition, and comments from winners seemed acid-edged all night long.

That's pretty sad. But it's interesting that both Angela Lansbury and Bernadette Peters had starring roles in their musicals (with a TV musical thrown in there); also, that both actresses have appeared in Gypsy revivals.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 11:10:51 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

td

• td
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2004, 11:16:47 AM »

No one has yet answered my important Tivo question - is this thing supposed to just be ON all the time.  There is no power switch anywhere that I can see, so I'm guessing the answer is yes.

Dear Reader Jane DID answer your question. (see above).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2004, 11:28:37 AM »

Oops (spoo spelled backwards) you're right.  Jane did answer my question and for some reason my eye went right past it to the sentence about Echo.  I guess that's known as The Echo Effect.

That's very exciting to know that Tivo is on all the time.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2004, 11:42:13 AM »

der dirty-minded Brucer
We would be on opposite coasts just now, when I've got a taste for pancakes!  With whom am I supposed to share, the pack?  *sigh*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2004, 11:43:14 AM »

Good morning afternoon!  I think like Sarah and others who have been on vacation for a while, I have fallen into a bad sleep cycle and am going to have trouble waking up to go to work tomorrow.

I don't have TIVO, but I have the cheap version they call DVR (digital video recorder) and I love it!  No more forgetting to set the VCR for me.  Can you also play back TIVO and tape it on the VCR, if you want?

A funny thing happened last night - I went out to dinner with some friends at a family-style Italian restaurant here in NYC, and after dessert, one person got his sleeve too close to the candle on the table and ended up catching on fire!  These thin strings of flame suddenly appeared on his sweater and started moving up over his body.  But.. he didn't even realize this and he says he didn't even feel the heat.  The two people sitting next to him started beating his sweater frantically, trying to put out the flames.  He had no idea why they were suddenly hitting him.  Once the fire was out, we all laughed uncontrollably (out of surprise and relief, I think) and then realized that half the restaurant was staring at us.  ::) Most eventful dinner I've had in a while.

DRs Jose and Jennifer - I should out myself as a closet Y&R fan. ;)  I used to watch it every summer when I wasn't in school, and every once in a while I'll tune in.  I don't really follow the show anymore, but it's not hard to figure out what's been going on after you watch a couple of episodes.  I also ended up watching B&B when they moved Sheila over there years ago.

Jose - I live around the corner from Sarabeth's.  :D
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2004, 11:46:30 AM »

I just started reading SONDHEIM ON MUSIC by MARK EDEN HOROWITZ.
In that Book Sondheim is quoted on songs that he wished he'd written.
This has to be one of the most frustrating books I've ever read, simply because of the tech difficulty.  Don't get me wrong, lots of great info from the great man, but so much of it is written in tech code, which makes it very hard on us non-techies.  Which, in turn, makes it so much more satisfying!

Although I could have done without his including one of his lover's songs on his list.  That was a little too snuggle for my tastes.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2004, 11:50:54 AM »

BTW, anyone remember the classy mystery series BURKE'S LAW?
Of course I remember Burke's Law.  It was sort of an early Murder She Wrote as far as guest star lists, even pulling in Gypsy Rose Lee for one episode.  Too bad about the sequels (the spy nonsense and the "Son-of-Amos" retread).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up