Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: MORE ABOUT THAT LATER  (Read 79127 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:MORE ABOUT THAT LATER
« Reply #360 on: April 24, 2007, 09:31:53 PM »

OH!  And there was a bit of excitement during our evening...  The taxi that was supposed to be waiting for us after the show was not waiting for us.  So the company manager called the cab company again and they told her one was on the way.  Well, he pulled up at 10:35... And we made it to the train station at 10:43.  The train, thankfully, was running on schedule - not early - and pulled in at 10:45.  Whew!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #361 on: April 24, 2007, 09:32:50 PM »

And DR FJL's friend, Julie, also joined us for the last part of meal, as well as the show.  Always good seeing her smiling face.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #362 on: April 24, 2007, 09:33:28 PM »

Whew!

I spy me a DR FJL and a DR elmore.  Welcome back home.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 09:37:53 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #363 on: April 24, 2007, 09:35:21 PM »

DR Jane - I've done the trip before from DC to Pittsburgh.  Five hours tops.  With stops.  The tricky part is the traffic on I-270/70 in Maryland.  It either runs smoothly, or it's basically a parking lot during rush hour.

Could you just stay in Fairfax/DC that night, and drive up to Pittsburgh in the morning?
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #364 on: April 24, 2007, 09:37:42 PM »

I've caught up!  What an exciting day for so many.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #365 on: April 24, 2007, 09:38:08 PM »

Oh...

10:29.   Oops.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #366 on: April 24, 2007, 09:41:08 PM »

DR TCB - I've made "Tyler's Ultimate Meatloaf".  It is quite good.  Be sure to accompany it with his "Ultimated Mashed Potatoes".

*I also frequently make a turkey meat loaf where you place cranberry sauce and brown sugar in the bottom of the pan before you put the ground turkey mixture in.  Makes for a quite a nice glaze/sauce.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #367 on: April 24, 2007, 09:43:50 PM »

Great seeing Jose and Larry as always, and the anticipation of maybe possibly perhaps meeting singdaw added to the excitement of the dinner.  Alas, no singdaw, as partially expected, hence the cab race to the train described by Jose.

The best dish was served at the restaurant attached to the westport Playhouse, such that the old joke may be trotted out and adapted:

What's the place setting like at the Dressing Room restaurant tonight?  Fork, fork, dish, spoon, knife, dish, dish, dish, dish.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #368 on: April 24, 2007, 09:44:01 PM »

And reading this article in today's NY Times brought a smile to my face...

Remedies: Dark Chocolate Similar to Blood Pressure Drugs

April 24, 2007
Vital Signs
Remedies: Dark Chocolate Similar to Blood Pressure Drugs

By NICHOLAS BAKALAR
Eating dark chocolate may be almost as effective at lowering blood pressure as taking the most common antihypertensive drugs, a review of studies has found. Tea, on the other hand, appears to be ineffective.

The article says a diet rich in fruits and vegetables is healthy partly because plants contain chemical substances called polyphenols that help control blood pressure. In Western countries, the major sources of dietary polyphenols are tea and chocolate, but studies of their ties to blood pressure have had mixed results.

From more than 3,000 papers, researchers picked the largest randomized and controlled prospective studies and used statistical techniques to combine the data. The analysis included four studies of black tea, one of green tea and five of dark chocolate. It appears in the April 9 issue of The Archives of Internal Medicine.

Four of the five studies on chocolate found reduced blood pressure after eating, but none of the tea studies showed significant benefit. The magnitude of the effect of eating three and a half ounces of dark chocolate a day was clinically significant, comparable to that of beta-blockers like atenolol, known by the brand name Tenormin, or propranolol, known as Inderal. The authors acknowledge that the studies were short and that results may not apply to habitual use.

Milk proteins prevent the absorption of polyphenols, so milk chocolate is not effective. “I’ve been eating a little more dark chocolate,” said Dr. Dirk Taubert, the lead author and a professor of pharmacology at University Hospital in Cologne, Germany. “And my blood pressure has gone down. But I have no dietary recommendations for others.”
Make Your Own Luck.

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #369 on: April 24, 2007, 09:46:02 PM »

Sounds like alot of fun
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #370 on: April 24, 2007, 09:46:15 PM »

Oh...

I have to say my favorite "Tyler's Ultimate" recipe is his Roast Chicken.  It's basically fullproof.  It does get a bit smoky since you cover the chicken breast with bacon, and then roast it at high heat, but the finished result is well worth the trouble of resetting your smoke detector.
Make Your Own Luck.

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #371 on: April 24, 2007, 09:47:49 PM »

Those desserts sound heavenly
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #372 on: April 24, 2007, 09:48:40 PM »

Well, maybe we can all head back up to Westport in a few weeks to see Souvenir - and DR singdaw.  They're basically importing the still sort of recent Broadway production with Judy Kaye.  I think that would be a great space to see the show in.

Of course, DR singdaw is always more than welcome to head into The City for dinner anytime with the Hainsies and Kimlets.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #373 on: April 24, 2007, 09:50:23 PM »

As to the show, I daresay I'll leave it to Larry to describe how the show works as an adaptation of the play The Skin of Our Teeth.  The second of the three parts feels long, even padded, but I think it's that when we're at the theater, we're just primed for an intermission these days for a 2:15 show.  But the first and third parts zipped along at a zippy clip.  And I loved the breaking of character, which I gather is from the play, but especially parts geared towards the actors' own selves, like mentioning Cady Huffman's and Shuler Hensley's Tonys in a comic moment.  makes you feel like you're seeing a script that in some ways is tailored to this specific group of actors you're seeing, even though most of it is likely set.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #374 on: April 24, 2007, 09:51:36 PM »

Well, it looks like a couple of the "Grease: You're the One That I Want" finalists won't be relegated to relative obscurity. ;)

"Grease" Finalists to Appear in NYC Reading of College: The Musical[/i].

Well, I've seen a bunch of former "Grease: YTOTIW" finalists at auditions lately.  Including Juliana.  And both Ashleys.

It's been kind of interesting watching the people behind the table when they realize, "OH! That's where I've seen him/her!"  -And they do list it on their resumes, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #375 on: April 24, 2007, 09:52:59 PM »

Hmm...

One of my roommate is trying out a new "Sleep Balm"... Frankly, I think it would keep me awake.

???
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #376 on: April 24, 2007, 09:53:22 PM »

Oy! I am now all caught up as well.  DRs BrettySpaghetti and Singdaw were no-shows on both coasts.  Fie on both them, I say!

As to ALL ABOUT US: when it captures the spirit of the original play, it's quite wonderful.  Unfortunately, the other moments seem confused, muddled, or messy.  I liked Eartha's big Act Two number and the last number for Sabina, which captures the play's spirit beautifully.  Her first number in Act One does not.  I think the direction of Act Three was the best, Act Two the sloppiest.  Act One has a bizarre situation involving the family pets (in Wilder, a dinosaur and a mastodon, in this 2 mammoths): to save the human race, the pets are turned out of the house to face extinction in Wilder; in Joe Stein's libretto the two mammoths are sitting with Plato, Homer, Moses, and the rest of the Antrobus guests inside the house as the curtain falls!  Does Joe Stein think mammoths still roam the plains?

To bed.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #377 on: April 24, 2007, 09:54:28 PM »

I've got a pot of collards a-cookin' on the stove!!!

With or without a hambone?  Or are you using a smoked turkey leg?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #378 on: April 24, 2007, 09:55:54 PM »

Oy! I am now all caught up as well.  DRs BrettySpaghetti and Singdaw were no-shows on both coasts.  Fie on both them, I say!

Well, at least they weren't taking up four facing-seats on the train.  Otherwise, you really would have let them have it.

;)

-Trust me, you had to be there.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #379 on: April 24, 2007, 10:00:38 PM »

DR Jane - I'm sure that you could switch off with Craig during the drive.  As long as you drive the speed limit, you should be OK.  And if he carries his boarding passes and passport with him, I'm sure if something were to happen and you got pulled over, that a trooper would more than likely take, "I just got back in the country, and I'm driving since my Mom does not like to drive at night, and I didn't realize I didn't have my license on me.." as a very acceptable excuse/reason.*  And I do have to say the when I-270/70 goes through the mountains, it's not the easiest of drive - especially at night.  Lots of hills, lots of curves.

*Please remember that DR Jose is not qualified in any sort of sense to dispense legal advice - good or otherwise.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Cason

• The time is nigh!
« Reply #380 on: April 24, 2007, 10:01:59 PM »

Well, at least they weren't taking up four facing-seats on the train.

Well, the West Coast Gathering's "Madame Spivy" look-a-like might be able to do that alone.  You'll see when MBarnum gets the pictures up...
Art touches people in ways that words can't and my goal in life is to touch as many people as possible.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #381 on: April 24, 2007, 10:04:30 PM »

DR BrettySpaghetti - I'm a big fan of Weird Romance. I remember when the OCR was released, buying a couple of extra copies for friends hoping they would like it too.  And they did.

When I did Sunday in the Park with George at Arena Stage in 1997, Sal Viviano was our Georges/George.  One day while we were running over some music in the pit, I asked if he would sing me his songs from Weird Romance if I played them for him.  And he did.  One of my fondest memories from that time.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #382 on: April 24, 2007, 10:14:45 PM »

Well, I have a matinee in about 12 hours and 45 minutes... And I want to try run a few errands before I train back up to Westport in the morning, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #383 on: April 24, 2007, 10:16:22 PM »

Goodnight, Jose.  Thanks again for the arranging the tickets and the evening!

Tomovoz

« Reply #384 on: April 24, 2007, 10:17:08 PM »

Goodnight DR Jose.

I like "Weird Romance" too.  I have a feeling I first heard about it from DR td? My copy was provided by long ago DR Alan Wood.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #385 on: April 24, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »

DR Elmore- We were fortunate enough to see Mr Quilley in London's "Sweeney Todd"

Which leads me to...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 10:20:13 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #386 on: April 24, 2007, 10:20:45 PM »

Where is MBarnum with the photos?  I finished watching Freud, and have checked out the various and sundried other transfers, the most amazing of which is Joseph Losey's These Are The Damned, spectacular in scope and black-and-white and anamorphic.  And when those teddy boys in leather are on the prowl to the accompaniment of "Black leather, black leather" it's something to see.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #387 on: April 24, 2007, 10:21:44 PM »

We're having difficulty finding a photo of the real Madame Spivy - can anyone help?  If anyone has the Manchurian Candidate DVD, she's in that, or Requiem For A Heavyweight.

Tomovoz

« Reply #388 on: April 24, 2007, 10:22:53 PM »

Mr Quilp. (The Old Curiosity Shop).  I wonder if the Soundtrack shall ever surface on CD or the DVD ever be issued. (I've not checked in ages).  

Despite all the "annoying habits". I remain a Newley fan.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #389 on: April 24, 2007, 10:24:36 PM »

And a Good Evening/night to sometime Poster "Sigerson Holmes".
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 10:25:25 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up