Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BILINGUAL SUSPENDERS  (Read 69329 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE BILINGUAL SUSPENDERS
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2007, 07:27:51 AM »

Laura - there was red velvet cake from Daisy Mae, but it wasn't pretty enough to photograph.  The frosting was yummy, though.

Was it shaped like a possum with gray frosting?  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2007, 07:30:04 AM »

Possum Cake page Three Dance.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2007, 07:31:08 AM »

THE BUNCH.....LOL....yup that was the MAD parody of THE GROUP.  Thanks, DR DtM!

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2007, 07:34:18 AM »

Re: last night's AMERICAN IDOL vote.

I actually liked how they did the eliminations.  I think in the 1 hour show format it works better to spread things out (i really like how dancing with the stars does it).  

So they had 2 groups of 3. And they eliminated one from each group. One in the middle and one at the end.  And i must say, when phil and lakisha were standing there, i just got this feeling he was going.

I wasn't really sad to see him or chris go. They are both nice enough. But like DR MattH said, i don't think either one was going to win.  I was just happy that blake was safe.

It was interesting that they spared jordin (after putting her through hell last week). And interesting that they kept blake and chris to the end (with them saying they are best friends).

I actually think that being the only guy left will help blake a lot. And i don't see him going next.  Of course it seems like the votes could be real close. So i guess based on their performance it is possible than any of them go (although i would think jordin and melinda would last till the end).

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2007, 07:42:15 AM »

Wsa that scratch-and-sniff card Odorama?

Yes, it was.

And there's a laugh-n-sniff card available in TV GUIDE for tonight's odoriffic MY NAME IS EARL episode. I have mine here ready to go!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2007, 07:43:44 AM »

I think the final two will be Blake and Jordin. Melinda, the best singer left, will be eliminated 3rd just like last year's best sing, Elliot Yamin, was eliminated in third place.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2007, 07:44:18 AM »

BTW, there should be two songs each next week. One will be BeeGees songs. The other, I imagine, will be singer's choice.

Matt H.

« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2007, 07:45:03 AM »

And good morning!

Much cooler here this morning without being anywhere near cold. Hopefully, I can leave windows and screen doors open and cool the house down. My last night at bedtime, the house was a bit warm.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2007, 07:48:20 AM »

I didn't see BEN-HUR at a Charlotte theater but in my small town theater, so I imagine we had a 35mm reduction print.

The first big screen movie I can remember seeng in Charlotte was THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM in Cinerama. That same theater showed all the CInerama films, but I saw them in reissues, not in the original runs. This is also the theater that showed the roadshow films like THE SOUND OF MUSIC, HELLO, DOLLY, STAR!, THE SAND PEBBLES.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2007, 07:49:41 AM »

DR Michael Shayne, if you saw 2001 in your local movie house, it probably was a reduced 35mm print which is what MGM issued to local theaters after its roadshow engagement, not the 70mm Super Panavision that was shown in Cinerama theaters.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2007, 07:53:03 AM »

DR derBrucer, I think HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE was the second Cinemascope movie, not THE EGYPTIAN. And MILLIONAIRE actually completed filming before THE ROBE, but Fox wanted a prestigious film to be its first Cinemascope film rather than a bubbly comedy, so THE ROBE was released first.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2007, 08:13:46 AM »

DR derBrucer, I think HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE was the second Cinemascope movie, not THE EGYPTIAN. And MILLIONAIRE actually completed filming before THE ROBE, but Fox wanted a prestigious film to be its first Cinemascope film rather than a bubbly comedy, so THE ROBE was released first.

Elitists!

Matt H.

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2007, 08:14:44 AM »

I've got a bunch of things on the DVR to watch today including last night's MEDIUM and CSI: NY along with the second half of that Brando documentary.

I'm expecting the Blu-ray disc of DREAMGIRLS today, but I don't see how I will be able to get to it before tomorrow.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2007, 08:16:14 AM »

And the word of the day is: VERBIGERATION!
Sigmund thought the endless repetitions of VERBIGERATION fascinating.  Carl, on the other hand, found IT OVERBEARING and tiresome.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2007, 08:16:25 AM »

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2007, 08:18:20 AM »

I have that Criterion edition of PLAYTIME, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. After reading bk's thoughts about it after he saw the DVD plus today's mention of the film in the notes, I will try to get to it this weekend as well.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2007, 08:18:40 AM »

Heading down now to clean up a bit before going out to lunch.

WBBL.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2007, 08:21:41 AM »

I do like the idea of bilingual suspenders...I could wear them to the Cinco de Mayo festivities on Saturday
But what if the suspenders speak English and French?  Or English and German?

Or Japanese and Sweedish!  You can have sushi and candy together!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2007, 08:24:40 AM »

TOD

I suppose the first 70mm films I remember seeing were AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS AND BEN HUR.  I saw both of those at Tacoma's Temple Theatre, where I saw all of the road show engagement films.

What is a "Vodvil Show?"

Oh.  Next post.  Never mnd.   :-[

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 08:30:35 AM by S. Woody White »

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2007, 08:26:52 AM »

Good morning H/Ks and DRs .......

And a lovely morning also to the dear Esteemed, rested, suspendered, and studly master of the hickey.... BK --

By the way, my hickey is doing just fine, and I pointed it out to everyone at all of my business meetings back east.  I told them ... "and if you are ever in the area of the City of Studio, BK gives good hickey!"

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2007, 08:27:48 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Busy morning here at work.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Miss Karen

« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2007, 08:35:08 AM »

Good morning H/Ks and DRs .......

And a lovely morning also to the dear Esteemed, rested, suspendered, and studly master of the hickey.... BK --

By the way, my hickey is doing just fine, and I pointed it out to everyone at all of my business meetings back east.  I told them ... "and if you are ever in the area of the City of Studio, BK gives good hickey!"

You're back home!  All is right with the world -- the vibes in AZ just aren't the same when you're jet-setting about.  Glad you and your hickey made it back safely -- some pretty nasty thunderstorms were marching across Texas yesterday as you landed and took off from DFW.

P.S. It was great to see you at the HHW WC reunion last week!

MusicGuy

« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2007, 08:36:43 AM »

As for the TOD .... it makes me feel very old today !

I saw the first release run of many of the 50s movies that came out in the various wide-screen formats.  And I saw Ben-Hur at it's premiere run in Hollywood at the Egyptian Theatre.  The entire forecourt of the theatre was a display of chariots, props, costumes, etc. from the fim.

The funniest performance is that of Pontius Pilot...... (Dear TomOz will know about this)... Pilot was portrayed by an Australian actor named Frank Thring.  And even though Pilot is supposed to be menacing and forceful and the evil villian, in actual life Thring was much more Franklin Pangborn than anyone menacing !! :)

I also saw the original format runs of "Mad Mad World," "Around The World In 80 Days," all of the big R&H musicals that were filmed, and the original run of "2001, A Space Odyssey."

MusicGuy

« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2007, 08:40:46 AM »

You're back home!  All is right with the world -- the vibes in AZ just aren't the same when you're jet-setting about.  Glad you and your hickey made it back safely -- some pretty nasty thunderstorms were marching across Texas yesterday as you landed and took off from DFW.

P.S. It was great to see you at the HHW WC reunion last week!

Hi DR Ms. Karen Y'All.... I'm VERY glad to be back home.  It was so weird yesterday.... I looked at the weather news both before I took off from Philadelphia, and after I got home.  And the satelitte photos from space looked AWFUL over Texas.  When we landed there at DFW, there was maybe a 5 mph wind, slightly overcast sunny sky, and 72 outside !!

For whatever reason, I'm just thankful there was no delay!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2007, 08:41:57 AM »

TOD:

I think I was there for most of the "firsts"

1952 Cinerama This Is Cinerama
1953 Cinemascope The Robe
1955 ToddAO Oklahoma!
1959 UltraPanavision (70mm) Ben Hur
1959 SuperPanavision (70mm) The Big Fisherman
1963 Cinerama 70mm It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

(I actually saw the second Cinemascope film, The Egyptian, before I saw the Robe)

(I also thought the second ToddAO, Around the World in Eighty Days, showed off the process better than Oklahoma!)

der Brucer

Actually, der B, "How to Marry A Millionaire" was the second film released in CinemaScope (and it was reportedly filmed first!!!).  CinemaScope was introduced in 1953 and "The Egyptian" was released in 1954.  I don't know the pecking order of CinemaScope releases, but Fox had several of them in production when "The Robe" was being prepared for premiere.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Miss Karen

« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2007, 08:42:16 AM »

BK ~ I saw your post asking DR ELmo about the NYMF.  I'm not sure what info you or Lar were needing, but on the NYMF website I found a news release dated around March 2nd or so saying they had just closed the submission process and the judges were starting to look through the entries and they would be announcing those selected in about three months -- so I assume around the first part of June (?)...

MusicGuy

« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2007, 08:42:44 AM »

I'll be back later to check in...... I must get caught up from being out of town.

Tra La, and a Hey Nonny Nonny....

MusicGuy

« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2007, 08:43:30 AM »

Except that I just saw that DR Cason had popped in.... I would be E&T if I didn't send a hug to the Boo-key !

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2007, 08:44:05 AM »

What MattH said....

Catching up isn't easy -- you either respond to posts as you read them -- and learn later that others have already said what you were going to...or you wait till you've read 'em all...and then face the daunting task of revisiting them all.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Miss Karen

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2007, 08:47:20 AM »

Possum Cake page Three Dance.

Well, ain't that something --- a road kill cake ...  hmmm, what sort of event/party would you serve a possum cake at?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up