Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: CUT ME SOME SLACK  (Read 73684 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:CUT ME SOME SLACK
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2007, 07:19:03 AM »

DR SWoody, I fall into the below average 50%. But you probably already knew that.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2007, 07:20:59 AM »

Today I must get my powerpoint to the church computer and then print a few things. Then this afternoon we go up to Northern Arizona to meet with some of DH's family again.

Perhaps when I get back I will have time to finish painting and I can arrange to get that bathroom tiled.

Cillaliz

« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2007, 07:22:53 AM »

Ok, I have to have to rant for a minute. The secretary who thinks she rules the world told the cleaning people to clean off the top of our desks.  Now, this has never been the office policy. If there are no documents on the desk they are to clean otherwise they are to keep their hands off the desks. (They have already thrown out boxes I had broken down and saved in my office)

I told her once that I don't want it done and she said she thought it was a good idea.  Today I came in and everything was rearranged, my work was in little piles and rows that I didn't not place it in (and I was here until 8:00 PM so I know the staff didn't do it).  

I was livid...we're talking expletives flowing freely livid.  She who thinks she rules the world told me I would have to leave a note for them.  Not likely.  I called her supervisor in Des Moines and told her about the situation. She clearly sided with me and asked who approved this - when I told her no one, that SWTSRTW decided on her own that it was a good idea the response was "Noooo, we don't do things that way".

39 work days and I am counting

End of rant.  
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 07:27:17 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2007, 07:24:39 AM »

My 48 hours away from the store will be over too too soon.  Der B and I did drop buy, getting foodstuffs for last night, and the new self-checking registers have been installed, but aren't working yet.  I'll be trained on how they work some time in the next two days.

The problem with all these have-the-customers-do-it-themselves machines is that they are all designed so that the average person can figure the procedures out.  The key word is average.  This means that roughly fifty percent of the customers, who are below average in intelligence, will not be able to figure how to make the damn things work.  So someone will have to be watching the registers, to help the customers figure out what they're doing.  My hunch is, we're going to have a cashier helping the customers for a good percentage of the time, one per self-checkout register.

So much for the intelligence of management.  And I don't mean the management at our store - I mean management at the regional level.  Bleh.

As someone who has been using the self check-out for about the past 5 years now...I really like them.   The people in line used to ask for a lot of help, but I don't see that as often. I think people either know how to use them or they go to a human checker

Cillaliz

« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2007, 07:25:59 AM »

Hello, DR Cillaliz!  I'm getting ready to be x-rayed.  I just don't wanna be ultra-violated.

Could be worse, my dad has a colonoscopy today...that's what you call it isn't it?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 07:27:44 AM by Cillaliz »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2007, 07:26:06 AM »

DR Dear Reader Laura:

Some of the nicest customers I know fall below the average, just like some of the nastiest are above average.  Nice has nothing to do with brains, and too often really has nothing to do with brains.  Which makes me question just how much brains some of the customers with brains really have.  Then again, I've some very smart regular customers who are also wonderful people.  I'm very sure you would be one of my favorite customers, no matter where you fall on the average line.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

singdaw

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2007, 07:27:48 AM »

Cillaliz

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2007, 07:30:26 AM »

DR SWoody, I fall into the below average 50%. But you probably already knew that.

DR Laura..I don't believe that for a minute!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2007, 07:33:22 AM »

As someone who has been using the self check-out for about the past 5 years now...I really like them.   The people in line used to ask for a lot of help, but I don't see that as often. I think people either know how to use them or they go to a human checker
If people use the self check-out regularly, then yes, I can see how they won't need much help after a certain training period.  The problem that we're going to be facing here in Rehoboth Beach is that we are living in a tourist/resort town.  The turnover, particularly during the summer, is pretty high, so a lot of our customers will show up once or twice and be gone.

We already get complaints from the customers just passing through about how the credit card keypads work.  "No two are ever alike!" they wail.  "That's by state law," I deadpan.  And it's amazing how many customers look at me, believing every word, and say "Really?"  Hilarity ensues.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2007, 07:33:28 AM »

DR Woody, I don't know how your system will be set up, but here they have all the self check outs in one area. Then there is a checker station where they approve checks, do other things that need approval and answer question. There is one employee for anywhere from 4-6 self check out stations and that person doesn't cover a regular check out line.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2007, 07:35:36 AM »

Hmmmm... Remember how with regular checkers a piece is "kinged" by placing a second checker on top of the first?  Does this mean that a "kinged" human checker has to carry someone piggy-back style for the rest of the game?

My aching back!

Cillaliz

« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2007, 07:36:51 AM »

Hmmmm... Remember how with regular checkers a piece is "kinged" by placing a second checker on top of the first?  Does this mean that a "kinged" human checker has to carry someone piggy-back style for the rest of the game?

My aching back!

;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2007, 07:41:10 AM »

Good Morning!... Well...

So... I get here at 9:40 for the 10:00 callbacks...

The monitors get here at 9:45 to set up the room for the 10:00 callbacks...

The monitor calls the office at 10:05 to inquire where everyone is - especially since there are no actors or dancers waiting to come in to the room...

"Oh... We're not starting until Noon?....  -Do you want to speak to them, Jose?

-I just shook my head.  :-\

So, at least I have a bit of time to post and catch up on things, so... And the hours are still billable.  -There's always a bright side.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2007, 07:42:50 AM »

And, of course, what was the last thing I asked before I left the studio yesterday...  -And I had even asked them before the day ended what time we were starting at today since all I kept hearing about were Noon and 2:00 appointments.  "No, we're starting at 10:00."  Not![/b]
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2007, 07:43:17 AM »

But I have three days off - this weekend and Monday - and since today is a triple pay-day...

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2007, 07:43:51 AM »

So, now I shall catch up on the posts...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2007, 07:46:12 AM »

We will have four self-checking registers running on Sunday, or at least that's the schedule.  Our assumption is that we'll need one checking assistant per register, at least for the training period.  Then, as we checkers become more proficient we should be able to cut back to two assistants.  But with our heavy tourist trade, I don't think we'll have any fewer than two assistants at least until fall, maybe not until winter.

I just hope that our store management recognizes that the checkers handling the self-checking registers will have to be the most patient, nicest people we have on staff.  We have always prided ourselves on our interactions with the customers, making the store a place where the customers want to return.  

Carol, our store manager for the eight years we've been open, has been fighting against this change for the entire eight years.  She knows how important the human element can be in making a store work.  However, she will be retiring sometime in the fall.  I'm just glad that she's had the sense to have this change made while she's still in charge, so that she can oversee the change, rather than have it made by some newcomer who doesn't know the territory (a Rock Island reference).

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2007, 07:59:08 AM »

Good morning!

Much cooler here today (highs not supposed to get out of the 60s), and it's overcast, too, which suggests rain is on the way.

I'm just glad for the cool spell. 90 degree weather in May is absurd.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2007, 08:02:11 AM »

DR SWoody, I would like you as a checker and you would like me as a customer. I always got frustrated with those machines at first. Sometimes, now, I can get through without assistance.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2007, 08:08:03 AM »

I agree with you, DR Dan, about Jamie Foxx - THE weak link of the picture. I completely disagree about the recitative (I remember bk also thought dropping it was a mistake, but I don't.) The portions of it that remain (the scene leading up to Effie's big diva song, for example, seem wholly disconnected from the rest of the movie.

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2007, 08:09:21 AM »

I'd say I use the self-check lane at the grocery store about 85% of the time. SInce I've started going to the grocery store on Fridays, the regular lanes are almost always corwded. The self check lanes are quicker and less full. I don't mind bagging my own groceries as I check them. Kind of fun, actually.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2007, 08:11:17 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - Doris Day: A DAY IN HOLLYWOOD

DVD - ARMY OF SHADOWS, disc 2
          DREAMGIRLS, disc 2
          WILL & GRACE, Seasn 6, disc 3
          THE LONG HOT SUMMER

DVR - last night's SMALLVILLE
          last night's SUPERNATURAL
          last night's MY NAME IS EARL
          last night's THE OFFICE
          last night's SCRUBS
          last night's CSI
          WHIPLASH

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2007, 08:11:49 AM »

UGH!

And now the lead casting director is home sick today too!

-There must be something in the air today.  -Maybe that "skunk" thing from DR DakotaCelt's geographical location is starting to drift.

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2007, 08:13:18 AM »

As for Jamie Foxx in "Dreamgirls"...  After seeing him on "Oprah" and hearing how he only did one take of all his "vocals" because he didn't want to sound too "slick" or "too good"...  But it's a musical?!?!?!?!?!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2007, 08:13:27 AM »

I spent 2 1/2 hours this morning watching the Criterion disc of ARMY OF SHADOWS, Melville's marvelous film about the French Resistance. Not the greatest transfer (though very clean; the trailers on the disc are sharper and more colorful than the feature presentation).

There is a complete second disc of features that I'll dive into at some point today and tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2007, 08:14:12 AM »

As for Jamie Foxx in "Dreamgirls"...  After seeing him on "Oprah" and hearing how he only did one take of all his "vocals" because he didn't want to sound too "slick" or "too good"...  But it's a musical?!?!?!?!?!

Sounds to me like he wasn't invested in the production at all. His performance was certainly lackluster.

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2007, 08:16:31 AM »

Thankfully with all that backlog of TV on my DVR, there are only two shows I'll be watching tonight - GHOST WHISPERER and LAW & ORDER. That 9 p.m. time period would look like the perfect place to watch SUPERNATURAL.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2007, 08:17:23 AM »

Best friend John is stopping by to eat lunch with me, so I need to get to the grocery store so I can get back and start cooking lunch.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2007, 08:17:48 AM »

As for Self-Checkout Lines....  I like them too.  But sometimes I also like having a real person check me out.  So to speak. In any case...

I just wish there signs posted somewhere on the machine or in the area of the self-checkout lanes stating that you MUST place your items in the bag (the scale) before you can proceed.  I still remember the first time using the machine, I had just two items with me.  And I wasn't going to bag them, so I just held the first item in my hand after scanning it.  And waited.  And waited.. Ohhh....

-And I also wish there was a way to enter multiple quantities of the same item.  I still remember scanning 30(!) bookends at IKEA once.  UGH!  *And since they were so light - made of plastic - most of the time, they didn't register on the scale when I placed them there.  So the checkout supervisor had to come over to my machine to do the override again and again and again.   -He eventually counted how many I had left in my cart and did a manual entry of my purchase.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2007, 08:21:11 AM »

Don't think so.  Might be your fantasy but there are other Bedtimes I'd rather be thinking about!

Bingo!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up