Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CLOCK IS TICKING AND I AM TYPING  (Read 73799 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:THE CLOCK IS TICKING AND I AM TYPING
« Reply #270 on: May 06, 2007, 08:00:25 PM »

Of course,  dear DR Laura lives over in the elegant and fashionable area of Scotsdale ...

I live in the 'hood of Scottsdale. Or some folks call it the barrio of Scottsdale.

You would think that I live in a mansion, what with all the painting I've been doing lately. Seems like it has been weeks.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #271 on: May 06, 2007, 08:01:24 PM »

At least you had a pleasant evening for sitting outside, DR MusicGuy. Better than it happening in July. Like our big power outage last summer after the microburst.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #272 on: May 06, 2007, 08:11:05 PM »

Well, no one can say we didn't make it to page eight.  There's only one thing left to say:

Will we never get to page nine?

Of course we will.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #273 on: May 06, 2007, 08:14:38 PM »

I enjoyed my evening of viewing.

I began with FOR YOUR EYES ONLY, the new Ultimate Edition transfer. It's quite wonderful looking, and, of course, the new DTS soundtrack is splendid. I've seen this film probably a dozen times, and with the new sound effects and their placement in the surrounds, I jumped out of my chair at least twice.

Matt H.

« Reply #274 on: May 06, 2007, 08:16:13 PM »

Next came THE CRIME DOCTOR'S GAMBLE, another in the Warner Baxter series of programmers. It was an OK mystery but I found it pretty easy to solve especially after the two likeliest suspects were also murdered early on. Still, I'm enjoying catching up with these. I see that TCM is planning of showing another one later this week.

Matt H.

« Reply #275 on: May 06, 2007, 08:17:24 PM »

BK--

You made no mention of my BRANDO information from earlier this morning, so I don't know if you read it or not, but I checked my cable guide, and it's SATURDAY at 5:15 p.m. that the entire documentary is being broadcast.

Of course, that's Eastern Daylight Time. I guess it'll be on at 2:15 your time (or does TCM have an East-West schedule?).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 08:19:02 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #276 on: May 06, 2007, 08:21:05 PM »

I had about twenty minutes before the beginning of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, so I saw that Showtime-HD was showing MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III, and I watched some of it in high definition.

I have the movie on high def Blu-ray disc, and the disc version has slightly more saturated colors, but otherwise the picture quality seemed to match that on the Blu-ray (meaning that's it's a reference quality presentation).

Matt H.

« Reply #277 on: May 06, 2007, 08:23:24 PM »

As several other episodes have done this season, the first half hour of DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES irritated me to death (the same old klutzy stuff with Susan, the same machinations from Edie, the same arrogant entitlism from Gaby), but by the second half, the writing got more interesting, and the ladies were doing things outside the caricatures they've made for themselves, and I actually enjoyed it.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #278 on: May 06, 2007, 08:24:20 PM »

Sorry for being so E&T---I totally missed George's birthday.

HAPPY BELATED, GEORGE!!

I hope you had yummy birthday cake, and a few fresh humans, for the CANNIBAL in you.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #279 on: May 06, 2007, 08:26:34 PM »

BROTHERS & SISTERS which seldom seems to take a misstep had another winner tonight with once again terrific work from particularly Sally Field and Rachel Griffiths, both of whom have been superb all season. I just don't have a clue where all of these family problems are leading.

I was SO glad Sally dumped Peter Coyote. Whatever happened to the construction guy from earlier in the season? (I've even forgotten who played him: Treat Willaims? Kurt Russell?)

Edisaurus

« Reply #280 on: May 06, 2007, 08:27:59 PM »

THE CLOSER has kept us on a grueling schedule. I am glad that week is over and I hope this next week will be more sane. My producers are both leaving town on Wed. for a wedding. One of them is the groom and he's marrying the other producer's sister-in-law.Well, they say show business is incestuous...

I can't wait until we're just doing episodic promos and aren't doing all these testing spots. The higher ups are driving us all insane!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #281 on: May 06, 2007, 08:28:24 PM »

Hmm, while I slept last night there were tornadoes hitting not too far from here.  Far enough that my radio didn't go off, well I'm not sure it was working, but it wouldn't have anyway, but not too far either.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #282 on: May 06, 2007, 08:29:40 PM »

And, Dear DR Elmore -

Everything that has been taking place in your life is good reason to feel saddened.  You've been through the wringer over the past year.

However, I believe your mood will lift if you can convince your doctors to correct, through whatever means necessary, your back pain.  This is wearing you down beyond what you should have to tolerate, and the pain is clearly having an effect on how you react to the other parts of your life.  

Love you very much.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Thanks, dear man!  Everyone's been so supportive and it's really appreciated.

I just watched THE TUDORS, and I'm so frustrated (on top of everything else!) because I need a Tower Records to go into and browse through a bin of music by Thomas Tallis.  I just went to Amazon.com, and I don't just get music by Tallis, but collections including music by him, and tons and tons of recordings of Ralph Vaughan Williams' glorious "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis"! Oy!

How can I figure out whch recording of his music I would like to purchase?

BTW, the episode was quite interesting with another bit of incorrect history involving Charles Brandon, but it was also quite poignant and a bit sad.  Maybe elegiac is a better word.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #283 on: May 06, 2007, 08:29:57 PM »

Previous TOD's that I missed:

First big format film: HOW THE WEST WAS WON in Cinerama. My grandmother took us to the movie theatre in Columbus. This may have even been the first time I went to a movie theatre. The rafting scene on the river was unbelievably frightening to me; I felt like I was right in the middle of the river, and I couldn't swim!

Cillaliz

« Reply #284 on: May 06, 2007, 08:30:38 PM »

Paul just got back from Kansas City He said that there is lots of flooding and I-29 is closed north of Omaha because of water over the road.  Wow! I don't remember that ever happening.   One area near here had about 9 inches of rain with more on the way

Edisaurus

« Reply #285 on: May 06, 2007, 08:31:26 PM »

Ralph Vaughan Williams' glorious "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis"! Oy!

This is hands-down my favorite piece of classical music, one of those pull-off-the-road gems!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #286 on: May 06, 2007, 08:31:35 PM »

I had a nice chat with DR Elmore this afternoon...I either made his  mood better or worse.

It was appreciated, DR MBarnum, even if I was in too much pain to really enjoy my position of superiority. :)
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #287 on: May 06, 2007, 08:32:03 PM »

History Channel is showing the history of Superman

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #288 on: May 06, 2007, 08:33:25 PM »

Also, the Netflix disk was damaged, so there were three scenes in the middle that were almost unwatchable.  Fortunately, I had done the play TEN LITTLE INDIANS, so I knew what I missed - except Miss Kitty singing in the surf.

Didn't you like the romantic duet "Can a chubby little fella like me love a girl with those piano legs?"

Edisaurus

« Reply #289 on: May 06, 2007, 08:34:42 PM »

Friday TOD: In my CD player: Cole Porter's JUBILEE with arrangements by our own DR Elmore. I have not taken this CD our of my car's CD player (where I do all my lsitening) since I received it. The orchestrations are exquisite, witty and make me happy every time I hear them. And I hear something new every time I listen to it.

I am in AWE of the brilliance of Elmore!

That fat conductor can go to HELL!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #290 on: May 06, 2007, 08:35:01 PM »

Perhaps I am crazy (okay I am crazy), but isn't the main musical theme used in GUMNAAM really a knock off of CHARADE?

!!!!!!!! Bingo !!!!!!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #291 on: May 06, 2007, 08:40:09 PM »

Thanks, MattH - I will set my TIVO unit.

"I am craven and thou art my master" Name that film.

Matt H.

« Reply #292 on: May 06, 2007, 08:40:19 PM »

I had a very late night last night, so I'm heading down now a bit earlier than usual in order to go to bed.

Good night!

Edisaurus

« Reply #293 on: May 06, 2007, 08:40:36 PM »

Who in my life deserves a pie in the face? Oh, probably that evil developer. I am taking guilty pleasure in watching him crash and burn. Last week he declared backruptcy, his loft went into foreclosure, and people are starting to realize that everything we tried to tell them about him was true.

(I mean...if your own MOTHER were sueing you for FRAUD, for stealing her inheritance and forging signatures...don't you think that should be a clue that we shouldn't give him half a million dollars of our tax money?)

28 contractors have liens on him for this project.

Even the paper is calling on the city council to do an audit, but since the chincy bassa is best buddies with the mayor, and in business with the most powerful counclman, and since he gave an "appreciation fundraiser" to another councilman...

They say it's not nice to kick a man when he's down, but I would certainly pie him. And with a COW PIE!!

Matt H.

« Reply #294 on: May 06, 2007, 08:41:51 PM »

Thanks, MattH - I will set my TIVO unit.

"I am craven and thou art my master" Name that film.

We'll each get to see the half that the other missed.

BECKET?

Matt H.

« Reply #295 on: May 06, 2007, 08:42:21 PM »

Pie in the face?

George W. Bush.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #296 on: May 06, 2007, 08:42:33 PM »

This is hands-down my favorite piece of classical music, one of those pull-off-the-road gems!

One of mine, too.  It always makes me a bit weepy with its beauty.  It's written for a string orchestra, a double string quartet with a solo bass, and a string quartet.  And he asks that each grouop be placed in separate locations if possible.  How did he ever figure that combo out?

Matt H.

« Reply #297 on: May 06, 2007, 08:42:33 PM »

Once again, good night.

Edisaurus

« Reply #298 on: May 06, 2007, 08:43:42 PM »

The Court Jester, one of my favorites!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #299 on: May 06, 2007, 08:43:50 PM »

BK: The Court Jester
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up