Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: TERMS OF ENDEARMENT  (Read 33299 times)

Ben

Re:TERMS OF ENDEARMENT
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2004, 05:49:14 AM »

That's it for pictures today. Now I must get back to work, at least for a while.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2004, 05:53:14 AM »

Oh, I forgot. Congrats on the DVD site. Looks good. I'll have to explore it more when I find the time to leave this site.

And, since, like Laura II, I didn't provide a Chicken Marsala recipe, I will attempt not a triple lutz, but a quadruple lutz. My office mates will be amazed.

In fact, they are amazed as now resume my seat after attempting and successfully executing a quadruple lutz!!! The roar of approval is still ringing in my ears as I settle into work.

Back to the Ford Foundation.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 05:54:24 AM by Ben »

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2004, 06:03:08 AM »

Ben, LOVE the photo, especially the "please look after this bear" tag.  We must be leading parallel lives; I also took the redeye to Heathrow (didn't sleep a wink), then took the express from Heathrow to London (though my stop was Bayswater station).  I can hardly wait to hear more and live vicariously!

Darling BK: If you adore and miss endearments, you need only begin frequenting Denny's and IHOPs across this fine nation of ours.  The waitresses there will be happy to call you "Sweet Stuff" or "Lambie Pie" or "Hon" or whatever your little heart desires.

Love the idea of the DVD site, but I confess I had trouble loading the page when I tried to link from the notes.  I waited and waited and waited and it still hadn't loaded after a long time (and we have DSL and fast computers) so I finally gave up and continued on to the second page of notes and here.  I'll try again later, though.

My DVD purchases lately have been strange, indeed.  It seems I'm on a nostalgia kick, as lately I find myself purchasing things from the '80s like Three Men and a Baby and the "Ultimate Edition" of Dirty Dancing.  Not that those movies aren't fun, but I mean to say!  I still have yet to purchase Grand Illusion or Citizen Kane or even All About Eve on DVD, and yet I'm buying Leonard Nimoy movies?   Heaven forfend.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Lulu

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2004, 06:09:23 AM »

Oh yeah, chicken recipes.

Well, The Hubby makes delicious chicken, but I think the secret is not so much in ingredients (he marinates it in secret stuff beforehand, and cooks it with green peppers and red onion slices), but in the fact that he does it in a red Le Creuset grilling pan.  I guess it's a grilling pan...it has those ridges on it that leave stripes on the chicken?  But it's not cast iron, it's red and white enamelware.  It's the only thing we ever make in that pan, and it is quite delicious.  Can't get the same results cooking it in another pan, and there is always an AWFUL mess to clean up when it's finished.  But it's worth it.

A chicken recipe I make is Savory Chicken Saute.  Heat 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Saute 4 chicken breasts in the oil for 4 minutes, then turn them over and add 1 large red onion, sliced.  Cover and cook for 3 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.  Add 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary sprigs, chopped, and 1/2 cup chicken broth.  Cover and cook until onion is tender-crisp (about 4 minutes), stirring occasionally.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

This is a South Beach Diet recipe, and it is SOOOOOO good.  The chicken comes out incredibly juicy and flavorful.  It's also easy, inexpensive, and good for you.  Who could ask for anything more?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2004, 06:25:13 AM »

Oh my DRLULU - I don't think I have ever tried a chicken recipe with a red onion...but now that I think about it....perfect!  

Welcome DR Evil Twin.

DRBen the pictures are great!  When we arrived in London, there was a transit strike going on.  Well actually at Heathrow - and who KNEW the airport was so far from the city???  We took a red bus in...no subways...and very few taxi cabs!  And when we were leaving the theatre none of us had bothered to get the address of the place where we had checked in....so when we finally found a taxi....we sort of knew where to go....  Thank goodness the subways were running the next day!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2004, 06:28:04 AM »

Oh, my dears. I have been totally remiss in terms of endearment. And I just came back from a country where these endearments are still a part of daily speech. I must fix this in future posts.

I hope all the lovies at HHW have a grand day.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2004, 06:33:32 AM »

DR Ben will you ask at the Ford Foundation if they have a window crank for the passenger rear of a 1959 Edsel Ranger?  It broke off in my hand the first time I tried to use it and my dad is still mad at me.  Maybe I can replace it at this late date.   8)

Thanks, dear.  :D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 06:33:59 AM by JRand53 »

td

• td
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2004, 06:42:07 AM »

While you were sleeping (Oh! A Bill Pullman reference!):
td and TCB had the following exchange:
(which td simply must retort to)

td:  I have been immersed in Season 8 of THE X FILES for review purposes tonight, and that's a lot of Robert Patrick to sit through.

TCB:  I've heard that there is a lot of Robert Patrick!

Today's td:  Yessir, it's twue! It's twue! (OH! a BLAZING SADDLES reference!) But, this being a family site, we shall not discuss the amazing powers of dvd and freeze-frame. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2004, 06:43:08 AM »

As I awoke this morning, I knew I was a "GOD;" but, now I know I'm in heaven as BK has launched THE DVD PLACE! ! ! !

Lulu

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2004, 06:50:52 AM »

OK, the link on the first page of today's notes is not quite correct.  The "www" was left out.  Once I added that to the top of my browser, I arrived at wisdom digital's home page, where I found Broadway World, but nothing (after looking through the entire site) about "DVD Place" (or anything at all about DVDs).  

Can anyone who has successfully found DVD Place post the link (or better yet, the web address that I could copy and paste) here?  Thanks.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2004, 06:55:25 AM »

-I think I may have left a detail or two out, but you get the point.  Oh, you can also "mount" the sauce with a pat of butter - or two.  Oh, and, of course, salt and fresh-cracked black pepper to taste.

I am sure you are all waiting for me to make some crude comment about "mounting" Jose's sauce, but no, I say no, I will take the high road.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

td

• td
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2004, 06:57:11 AM »

I am sure you are all waiting for me to make some crude comment about "mounting" Jose's sauce, but no, I say no, I will take the high road.

. . . which leaves me to take the low road; guess that means that I'll be in Scotland afore ye.

td

• td
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2004, 07:03:29 AM »

OK, the link on the first page of today's notes is not quite correct.  The "www" was left out.  Once I added that to the top of my browser, I arrived at wisdom digital's home page, where I found Broadway World, but nothing (after looking through the entire site) about "DVD Place" (or anything at all about DVDs).  

Can anyone who has successfully found DVD Place post the link (or better yet, the web address that I could copy and paste) here?  Thanks.

Lulu, I managed to get there by clicking BK's link. . .BUT, alas, it would not let me register. . . .

td

• td
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2004, 07:06:30 AM »

oh, my!  i just went back and looked at all the posting that went on once I went to bed last night!  WOW!
I think that in the top ten of Beatles songs, I would have to take "When I'm Sixty-Four."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2004, 07:09:26 AM »

I also could not register at the DVD Place (no doubt my Karma will now devolve into negative numbers  :'( ).

As one of the people who voted for a separate DVD entity when this Board first got up and running this is great news.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2004, 07:15:32 AM »

Hey, I'm stuck at home again today due to severe ice, so I thought maybe I could start my own HHW Trivia Contest.  Here's the question:

This musical had a legendary star and a fascinating supporting cast.  The legendary star would go on to star in a classic musical in a history making production.  One of the supporting cast would leave this show to create a role which would win them a Tony.  Another of the supporting cast would go on to win a Tony for a show with several unusual elements.  And a third member of the supporting cast would be a Tony winner for a hit musical that has something very specific in common with the classic musical the legendary star did.  All three of the supporting cast became beloved television stars for various reasons.

Name the musical.
Name the legendary star and the classic musical they would star in and why it was a history-making production.
Name the first supporting cast member and the show they went into and won a Tony for.
Name the second supporting cast member and the show they won the Tony for and at least one of the unusual elements of that show.
Name the third supporting cast member, the show they became a Tony winner for, and what specific thing that show has in common with the classic show the legendary star did.
Name the television credits the supporting cast members are best-known for.

Email me at:  jmkauffman@aol.com and I will in fact dredge up a sparkling prize for anyone who gets all the right answers.

Yes, I'm bored and yes, I'm trying to find something fun to do, OK?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2004, 07:34:59 AM »

JMK is trying to make us THINK!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2004, 07:36:54 AM »

BK - The very best with The DVD Place! Congrats.

DREvil Twin - A big welcome.

And DRJason - Any chance you can get us your mom's recipe for fried chicken? As you licked your chops over Christmas, my mouth began to water.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2004, 07:38:35 AM »

Good morning!

Well, I think I'm going to skip the haircut this morning.  I really like the barber up here, but it would take about an hour and some change to get it done, so... and since "this cut" is only about a week and a half, I'll just wait until early next week.. Gotta look good for NYC!

-I also slept in a little bit too, so... ;)

Well, I'm gonna start packing up the rest of my stuff, and, hopefully, I should be on my way back to Richmond in a few hours.  I'll check back in when I take a break.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2004, 07:40:30 AM »

DR Ben, I still have my Atari 800XL hooked up in my storage room, and when I'm looking for something to do (not oftten), I will go in there and play DONKEY KONG, DIG DUG, MS PAC MAN, or POLE POSITION using those cartridges you'd jam down into the thing. Using that computer with a 300 baud modem was my introduction to the world of telecommunications, too, so I got lots of use out of that Atari system before I saw the writing on the wall and traded up to the PC-DOS world.

Welcome, DR Evil Tiwn. Congratulations to our latest entry into Valhalla, DR God td. I'm trying to tidy up my cloud now so you can come to visit, and we can talk shows.

One of the friends in the Christmas pic I posted some weeks ago does a variations on chicken cordon bleu that is to die for, but I have no clue to the recipe.

As for me, good old Southern fried chicken hits the spot with me any time.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

AllAccessWorld.com

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2004, 07:40:34 AM »

Hello everyone.

Please use the following links to access The DVD Place correctly:

To register (if you are not already a member of broadwayworld.com)

http://dvds.allaccessworld.com/register.cfm

To visit The DVD Place

http://dvds.allaccessworld.com/

Enjoy!

td

• td
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2004, 07:42:43 AM »

Somebody's gonna cook my chicken later today, aren't they?

td's chicken dijonaise

5 or 6 Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 Cup Dried Bread Crumbs (cracker crumbs will do nicely, too)
2 Teaspoons Dried Basil
1 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder (optional)
2 Eggs slighly beaten
Dijon Mustard (or any prepared mustard) to taste

1/2 Cup Cooking Oil

Combine dry ingredients.
Spread one side of chicken breast with mustard.
Roll spread breast in dry crumb mixture.
Dip breast in eggs.
Roll breast in dry crumb mixture.

Cook breasts in skillet with heated oil, allowing minimum of 6 minutes per side.

Allow to stand five minutes after cooking.

Serve on bed of rice or pasta of choice.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 07:44:12 AM by td »

td

• td
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2004, 07:43:42 AM »

DR Matt:  No need to clean on my account, your cloud is just fine as it is.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2004, 07:44:43 AM »

JMK, they made us come to work today in Salem! But actually I am glad as I have no electricity at home  :P

That is great about the DVD Place website, I know that I will be checking it quite often! Will you review GUMNAAM, BK? Oh, come on, do it!

Hey, Lulu, did you happen to catch all those Una Merkel movies on TCM the other week! I watched 3 of them and they were great fun! All from the early 30s.

td

• td
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2004, 07:45:58 AM »

JMK is trying to make us THINK!

And BK is trying to make us COOK! ! ! !

JMK

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2004, 07:50:55 AM »

Here's what the DVD site is telling me when I attempt to register (just did it again, got the same error message:)

Error Occurred While Processing Request  
Element ID is undefined in GETUSER.  

The error occurred in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\allaccess\nav.cfm: line 129
Called from C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\allaccess\header.cfm: line 85
Called from C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\allaccess\register2.cfm: line 10

127 : <p><span class="regsm"><a href="/mail/listmail.cfm" class="leftnav">private messages[/url]

128 : <span class="regsm"><a href="/settings.cfm" class="leftnav">your settings[/url]

129 : <a href="/online.cfm?ID=#getuser.id#" target="picture" onclick="popup4();"  class="leftnav">who's online
[/url]
130 : </cfoutput>
131 : <cfif parameterexists(getuser.birthmonth) and #getuser.birthmonth# is not ''>

td

• td
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2004, 07:52:07 AM »

I tried to register once again at the dvd place, alas, this is what i got:

Error Occurred While Processing Request
The error occurred in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\allaccess\nav.cfm: line 129
Called from C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\allaccess\header.cfm: line 85
Called from C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\allaccess\register2.cfm: line 10

127 : <p><span class="regsm"><a href="/mail/listmail.cfm" class="leftnav">private messages[/url]

128 : <span class="regsm"><a href="/settings.cfm" class="leftnav">your settings[/url]

129 : <a href="/online.cfm?ID=#getuser.id#" target="picture" onclick="popup4();"  class="leftnav">who's online
[/url]
130 : </cfoutput>
131 : <cfif parameterexists(getuser.birthmonth) and #getuser.birthmonth# is not ''>

I've done it a couple of times, and this happens.  Should I move this post to the Tech posts? ? ?  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2004, 08:01:42 AM »

Did everyone try logging on with their Broadwayworld.com user name?  If any?

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2004, 08:05:53 AM »

Nice to have another DVD site to visit. I used the link above to register, took only a couple of minutes, and seemed to work just fine. Haven't posted anything there yet, but will report problems if and when I do.

I'm just an old fogey, I guess, but I do use terms of endearment when deemed appropriate, especially if there is someone important in my life.

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2004, 08:11:42 AM »

Sorry, DR MBarnum, about not having electricity. In cases like that, work becomes a haven of sorts. Three years ago, my furnace went out while I was playing Bob Cratchit in SCROOGE. Not only was I still teaching then (my last year), but the production company had the kids playing my children and I (and the actress playing my wife) booked all over town to sing and dance "Christmas Children" and "Good Times" as PR for the show. Ordinarily, I hate doing stuff like that, but my house was co cold, I welcomed work and those PR gigs to get out of my icebox house and into some warm environments. It took the heat installers something like three or four days (over a weekend when they didn't work) to finish the job, and OH, how miserable I was until they did!

We lost power for several days during an ice storm last year, too, but some dear friends with underground wiring and thus no loss of power took me in and saved me from the cold!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 08:14:33 AM by Matt H. »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up