Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CONUNDRUM OF THE YAWN  (Read 36353 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:THE CONUNDRUM OF THE YAWN
« Reply #360 on: June 21, 2007, 04:06:33 PM »

DR Ron ... unless I saw you in person, then like some great-aunt dressed in a flowing flowered mu-mu, wreaking of lavendar and moth balls, with a hairdo best described as resembling a tiny football helmet of dark, overly-dyed pin-curls stuck on my head,

[shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide][size=8]Ah-h-h-CHOO![/size][/shadow]

I would grab your little face cheeks in my chubby hands, clanking from the numerous bracelets on my wrists,  and tweak them saying, "Don't be mad at Auntie K cause she loves her little Ronnie-P-Cakes more than anything in the world, oh yes, I do-do-do-sooper-doody-do!"

You wouldn't DARE!    :o

:P

:-*
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #361 on: June 21, 2007, 04:06:49 PM »

[shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide][size=8]Page 13[/size][/shadow]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 04:07:51 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Miss Karen

« Reply #362 on: June 21, 2007, 04:16:55 PM »

[shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide][size=8]Ah-h-h-CHOO![/size][/shadow]

...You wouldn't DARE!    

(

(Bless you, dearie -- here's a tissue ) ...... Now where was I... Oh yeah? Ol' Auntie K is just full of surprises....
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 04:20:10 PM by Miss Karen »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #363 on: June 21, 2007, 04:20:05 PM »

..guess we could always just go wtih friggin' -- although that still is not a suitable sub for some folks since they claim they still know exactly what you're getting at ...

I hope that you're not doing Angry Housewives!  That very issue is part of the plot in that show...these four women enter a punk band contest and one of the women doesn't want to swear and their big song is supposed to include the F word, but she can't bring herself to say it, so she sings "Eat your f-f-friggin' cornflakes."  Even then, her husband is upset with her, "That's the F word in disguise!"  But in a totally cathartic moment during their big contest at the end of Act One, she screams the lyrics at the top of her lungs:

EAT YOUR FUCK-ING CORNFLAKES!!

And of course, the audience goes WILD!!  I love this show! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Miss Karen

« Reply #364 on: June 21, 2007, 04:26:44 PM »

I hope that you're not doing Angry Housewives!  That very issue is part of the plot in that show...these four women enter a punk band contest and one of the women doesn't want to swear and their big song is supposed to include the F word, but she can't bring herself to say it, so she sings "Eat your f-f-friggin' cornflakes."  Even then, her husband is upset with her, "That's the F word in disguise!"  But in a totally cathartic moment during their big contest at the end of Act One, she screams the lyrics at the top of her lungs:

EAT YOUR FUCK-ING CORNFLAKES!!

And of course, the audience goes WILD!!  I love this show! ;D

No, now see, there it's a punchline -- but in Suburb, they're singing about living in the 'burbs (which I suppose could be a punchline for that too depending upon one's feelings about living a suburban life...)... I'll keep you posted the further we get into all this and when I get a feel for what the story and musical is all about (but it's moot cause as I said this director doesn't do cuss words -- but the line you gave does seem like such a great punchline, I wonder if he'd break his own rule for that play...it's always interesting to try to understand directors and their choices..)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #365 on: June 21, 2007, 04:31:52 PM »

Have all so-called lyricists simply LOST the ability to find rhymes for such expressions as "expletive deleted"?

;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #366 on: June 21, 2007, 04:33:28 PM »

If I went to a show with a song like that, I wouldn't even notice the language except for reaction to it, I fear.

Having been in the Navy -- and of the Navy -- for 23.5 years, I assure you there isn't anything I haven't heard in infinite variations and strings.

I suppose the passion someone puts behind such expressions is what might take me aback...especially if I wasn't expecting it.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #367 on: June 21, 2007, 04:34:46 PM »

So here I sit.

No UPS delivery for me....yet.

But it's "out for delivery" and today's date is on the notice.

Sigh.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #368 on: June 21, 2007, 04:38:46 PM »

No, now see, there it's a punchline -- but in Suburb, they're singing about living in the 'burbs (which I suppose could be a punchline for that too depending upon one's feelings about living a suburban life...)... I'll keep you posted the further we get into all this and when I get a feel for what the story and musical is all about (but it's moot cause as I said this director doesn't do cuss words -- but the line you gave does seem like such a great punchline, I wonder if he'd break his own rule for that play...it's always interesting to try to understand directors and their choices..)

There's no way that Angry Housewives could be done without actually saying the "F" word...that's the journey that that character takes and the whole point of the song.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #369 on: June 21, 2007, 04:39:13 PM »

The week has been long and grueling.

We are fast approaching the end of our Fiscal Year and next week marks the cutoff for getting anything done financially within our accounting system.

No bills will get paid for two weeks.

No new contracts will be started for two weeks.

So everything has been building up and coming to a head and there are tons of chickens running around headless.

I, of course, acted promptly two months ago when we were notified to get our ducks in a row.  My ducks lined up and bowed/curtsied within two weeks.

That does not, however, exempt me from the fallout of sweat grenades being exploded by others.

And that has been my week....trying to accommodate needs and trying to counter misunderstandings and misdeeds and mistakes.

Sigh.

SIGH.

Miss Karen

« Reply #370 on: June 21, 2007, 04:45:55 PM »

DR Jorge ~ All this brings to mind our Children's Theatre Workshop two weeks ago. The first day, one of the moms of a little home schooled girl shadowed her through the day. At the end, we were having them put on scene work from some improv exercises -- and some of the older kids were saying "oh my god" in their presentations.  That mom came up and was raving about the day --  then came the "but" -- she was saying we needed to let the kids know that was offensive (come to find out her husband is the minister of the Bible Alliance Church here) and how they don't allow that in their home. I tried to explain we'd do what we could but that in improv and the heat of the moment on stage, those older kids might still say it since it's all over TV and what they hear at home ... one man's cuss word is another man's way of creative expression...

Tomovoz

« Reply #371 on: June 21, 2007, 04:49:56 PM »

Austalian cereals are much the same but without so much sweetness added! Biggest selling cereal here Sanitarium's "Weet-bix" It also rates highly on nutritional lists. There is a similar named product in the USA but Sanitarium is an Australian owned company which has links to the Seventh Day Adventists.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Miss Karen

« Reply #372 on: June 21, 2007, 04:50:20 PM »

... one man's cuss word is another man's way of creative expression...

I DIDN'T tell that mom that, I meant that as a point to all of this discussion...

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #373 on: June 21, 2007, 04:56:13 PM »

Austalian cereals are much the same but without so much sweetness added! Biggest selling cereal here Sanitarium's "Weet-bix" It also rates highly on nutritional lists. There is a similar named product in the USA but Sanitarium is an Australian owned company which has links to the Seventh Day Adventists.

I'd have thought Muesli, in all its variations and brands, would be your top seller.

That's all I saw advertised both trips I made to Perth.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #374 on: June 21, 2007, 04:57:12 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #375 on: June 21, 2007, 04:57:44 PM »

I have been out all day and have a board meeting tonight, so I shall catch up later!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #376 on: June 21, 2007, 04:59:24 PM »

Re the book:  I have acknowledged the theft of dear reader Adriana Patti's first name, just as I acknowledged the theft of non-dear reader Leslie Kritzer's last name for three other books.  

The book takes place now, but our 15 year old heroine doesn't really care for the world in which she lives, you see.  It was fun writing a now book, even though I didn't think I'd enjoy it.  It still takes place in LA and Hollywood, so there's lots of descriptive prose.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #377 on: June 21, 2007, 05:00:09 PM »

Finished blocking all but the last two numbers of Joan's show.  Once she has the lyrics and the basic moves down, then I'll finesse and add to it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #378 on: June 21, 2007, 05:05:24 PM »

I'd have thought Muesli, in all its variations and brands, would be your top seller.

That's all I saw advertised both trips I made to Perth.
Weet-Bix has 16% of the market share. No museli is in the top 10 selling cereals which make up over 60% of the market. (Figures were published last month).
Kellogg products are 7 of the top 10.
Weet-bix is almost 10% higher in market share than the next competitor.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #379 on: June 21, 2007, 05:08:56 PM »

BTW we subscribe to the Australian Consumers' magazine "Choice". No internet research was necessary.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #380 on: June 21, 2007, 05:27:34 PM »

DR td - Renée is on her way.
James Thurber 1957

François

« Reply #381 on: June 21, 2007, 05:28:17 PM »

I watched the Cabaret clip with Martin Ross and Anita Gillette.  I wouldn't have thought that they needed to change some lyrics...instead of "each and every one a virgin," having to substitute "each and everyone, innocent" and instead of "as a matter of fact, she rented by the hour" was changed to "as a matter of fact, she changed her heart each hour."

Thank you so very much for the video clips! So nice to see! Anita Gillette sure was a belter!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 05:28:33 PM by François »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #382 on: June 21, 2007, 05:51:34 PM »

I'm very tired!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #383 on: June 21, 2007, 06:29:52 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... After getting myself cleaned up after my run earlier, I rushed down to Ripley-Grier for a coaching session with DR Jason.  He's started to audition a bit more lately - he got into the EPA this week for the upcoming Guys & Dolls revival.  We sang through some of his old book - most of which needs to be retired - and we discussed some new rep.  And I think we came upon a great twist on a classic number.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #384 on: June 21, 2007, 06:33:01 PM »

And then it was over to visit my friend, Chris, and his son, Henry, for dinner.  Henry is only nine months, but he looks like he's 18 months already.  He's a big baby in the mature sense.  He already has five teeth! -I always thought babies teethed later?  ??? In any case, it was a very good visit, and Chris cooked a nice dinner of salad, chicken "boobs", and corn on the cob.  -And the wine I brought was very good too - a Cabernet Savignon Rosé.  Crisp and refreshing.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #385 on: June 21, 2007, 06:35:01 PM »

DR JRand - I really liked the routines last night on "So You Think You Can Dance?" too.  The choreographers have really stepped up their game too.  And the kid with the mohawk is majorly cute!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #386 on: June 21, 2007, 06:37:20 PM »

My choreographer and I were joking around and trying to think of words that will work in the songs of Suburb since our director always deletes cuss words (in this case the playwright and lyricist post permission to do that at the front of the book).  Actually, having them in the songs doesn't really fit the storyline (and so far I haven't found any in the dialogue, just the songs), but I guess they thought that makes it contemporary and realistic -- but singing them makes them more jolting and noticeable than saying them and the story is not edgy or jolting, rather nice and cute so ... let's see, what word when singing it can substitute for that more jolting version of friggin' -- ahhh, the challenges of community theatre in a small town

Well, my high school was not allowed to do Godspell or Jesus Christ Superstar since neither piece showed the Resurrection.  However, we were allowed to West Side Story, and none of the low-level cussing in that show was edited or altered.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #387 on: June 21, 2007, 06:37:21 PM »

Lucky Jason!  Please wish him well from me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #388 on: June 21, 2007, 06:39:16 PM »

Lucky Jason!  Please wish him well from me.

Will do!  -And, again, he looks great too.  I think as of last week he's lost 41 pounds!  Great for him!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #389 on: June 21, 2007, 06:41:36 PM »

I have a lovely recording from the West Coast which features Erin Dilly, Pat Carroll and Jim Stanek; I like it much more than the OBC.

I <HEART> Erin Dilly.  Her and her husband, Stephen Buntrock, truly make a handsome/beautiful couple.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up