Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CONUNDRUM OF THE YAWN  (Read 36223 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE CONUNDRUM OF THE YAWN
« on: June 21, 2007, 12:11:35 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes made you yawn, and now it is time for you to post until the yawning cows come home.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 12:06:45 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE CONUNDRUM OF THE YAWN
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 12:13:54 AM »

And the word of the day is: DEIPNOSOPHIST!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 12:14:36 AM »

It's summer solstice.  I don't know what that means, but it sounds nice.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 12:14:54 AM »

Unseemly indeedly!  I clicked on the unseemly button and all I got was a rerun (a Peanuts reference) of the first section.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 12:18:48 AM »

I'll no doubt chatter about today's WOTD at the dinner table in a short while.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 12:20:58 AM »

One of my contacts in this cyber world lives in Finland and was awaiting the "Midnight Sun".
It is the shortest day here - winter solstice. (least hours of sunlight). This when we should be using those daylight savings we accrued in January. If only I could remember where I put them.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 12:23:14 AM »

I still can not get to the second part of the notes.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 12:24:33 AM »

That was weird - one of my cut-and-pastes didn't work.  I've fixed it - you should be able to see it now, although you may have to refresh or clear your cache.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 12:25:04 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 12:25:28 AM »

I guess I'll toddle off to the bedroom environment now to get some needed beauty sleep.

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 12:29:01 AM »

No problems now BK. Perhaps it was recurrent dream.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 12:34:10 AM »

I am certainly a dreamer! I rarely have upsetting content in the dreams but have at times been in a situation with a death having occured. Many of my dreams relate to my working life - yet I did not dream about work when I was in fact teaching. In my dreams I tend to be an observer rather than a participant and am never sure if I am student or teacher.
often the time line of the classroom - my childhood and the more recent past - is quite confused. If "real" people are identifiable they are often not in the correct time frame at all.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 12:37:07 AM »

As far as I know, I've never had a recurring dream.  And I rarely ever remember my dreams.  I can't recall any right now. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 12:37:57 AM »

DR George - agree with your "Joseph" comment.  I find it sad that "Grease" went the same way too. I really enjoyed the innocence and nostalgia of the original. (Again I saw a London production - starring Richard Gere).
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 12:40:03 AM »

Back in four hours!
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 12:44:06 AM »

I'm going to bed.  Good night, Tom...and Matthew!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 12:51:19 AM »

Goodnight DRs.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 04:18:18 AM »

It's summer solstice.  I don't know what that means, but it sounds nice.

Good morning, all! I know! I know! Today is the longest number of daylight hours; it's the logest day of the year as opposed to the winter solstice which is the shortest day of the year.

I'm sleeeeeeepy! I have to be out of here at 8:15 for an eye examination.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 04:20:20 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 04:18:40 AM »

Agree totally about the Laurie Beechman-Bill Hutton JOSEPH - it was a delight.  

I also very much enjoyed the versiopn that played BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) in the 1970's, featuring Cleavon Little as the Narrator and David Carroll as Joseph.

Is this how we got on JOSEPH, from a discussion of crazy dreams - the dreamcoat and all that.

Tomovoz

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 04:22:20 AM »

The Joseph connection can be traced back to the Stoned Crows DR FJL
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 04:23:57 AM »

I also like the recorded version with ex Manfred Mann  lead singer Paul Jones.  I saw him as London's "Pippin".
James Thurber 1957

FJL

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 04:24:19 AM »

Of course, but then how did the TOD become about strange dreams and their interpretations?  :)

FJL

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 04:25:12 AM »

Well stone the crows, that's how we got on that subject.

FJL

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 04:25:54 AM »

David Carroll was known as David James Carroll in the 1970's, if anyone is trying to google that BAM prodcution.

Tomovoz

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 04:28:19 AM »

"Stone the flamin' crows" would be more OZ!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 04:28:54 AM »

In the 1950's and earlier!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 04:30:51 AM »

I guess not the David Carroll born in 1913 who was a conductor and arranger with successful hits in the early 1950s.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 04:32:46 AM »

The oatmeal kid is in town.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 04:34:37 AM »

I would blame the whole dream topic on DR Ron's corn (a Joseph Reference) but he would be in de Nile.
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2007, 04:44:40 AM »

Okay, I'm back! Quite groggy, and not looking forward to this exam. This doctor is notoriously slow and I've asked for his first appointment of the day. After that, I need to work on my second draft of editorial guidelines for Curtis and me to go over and adjust them tomorrow afternoon.

TOD:
  Recurring dreams: I haven't had anything really recurring since about two months after the 1999 opening of THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT when my nightmares about it finally stopped. I still do have, as you must all be aware by now, terrifying dreams about my grandmother's house at 711 Tenth Avenue and the house I grew up in at 3003 Goldman Avenue. Both houses had lots of paranormal activity and both had cellars that I would still be afraid to enter alone.

Worst dream: In the mid 1970s, while still living in Ohio, I dreamed that on a train several friends and I were pursuing a serial killer on a (isn't it always?) dark and stormy night. People kept vanishing and turning up dead. At one point, it seemed we'd traced the killer to a compartment and we could hear running water inside. When we broke down the door, we were actually in a bathroom; the running water was coming from the tap in the sink, which was filled with a dismembered body and my head sitting on top of it.  I woke up quite alarmed. Several years ago, I realized that the apartment I live in now has a bathroom with the same geography as that in this dream.

Best dream: when I was a kid around 5 or  6, I used to dream that I could fly. I remember elevating and sailing over telephone poles and the elation these flights generated.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up