Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: EPHEMERA AND DETRITUS  (Read 34938 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
EPHEMERA AND DETRITUS
« on: June 26, 2007, 12:06:00 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were beefy and big of bosom, and now it is time for you to post until the beefy and big of bosom cows come home.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 12:04:55 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:EPHEMERA AND DETRITUS
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 12:09:12 AM »

And the word of the day is: AGRESTIC!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 12:19:56 AM »

Will we never get to page two?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 12:27:58 AM »

I just went to the imdb, and here is the plot of Ephemera and Detritus:

Ephemera, son of the slave Argot, longs to be free.  Detritus, son of nobleman Ingot, is given Ephemera as a slave and the two become very close, playing with long spears, and romping about the countryside with gay abandon.  But fate intervenes and the slaves revolt and overthrow the house of Ingot and Ephemera and Detritus grow to hate each other with gay abandon.  The film leads up to the incredible climax where Ephemera and Detritus must fight to the death - who will win - slave or master - and who IS slave or master.  A devastating portrait of ancient stocks and bonds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 12:31:30 AM »

Where is our usual throng of GUESTS?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 12:32:55 AM »

I've gotten some Craig's List apartment info, but boy are they expensive if you want to stay for five weeks.  However, for short stays, they seem to be MUCH cheaper than hotels, although I have no idea what hotels are going for these days?  Can someone find out, for example, what the Hilton Gardens (where I stayed last time - on Eighth) is going for end of July?

singdaw

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 01:21:20 AM »

Today's NY Times on Harry Potter fans, speculation, and trying to avoid spoilers, HERE.

singdaw

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 01:44:24 AM »

Do beefy women in micro-skirts count?  How about men who are big of bosom?

singdaw

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 01:45:54 AM »

I agree with everything that was said yesterday about the song Fifty Percent.  String the yokel up by his thumbs.

singdaw

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 01:46:59 AM »

DR Edisaurus - that is so wonderful about Layla!!!!   Yea!    :)

We need to hear about things like that to counterbalance all the doom and gloom in the news...

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 03:31:49 AM »

Thanks, slingslaw!

TOD: JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS
The old B&W silent BEN HUR
HERCULES AGAINST THE MOON MEN (does that count?)
(haven't seen 'em since I was a kid but used to run them on TV a lot when I was a kid: DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS
QUO VADIS
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 04:39:58 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have a very early date at Toyland because I forgot that at 10:15 I have an appointment to hear the results of my MRI.  Then, back to Toyland, and home to clean off the fire escape, go to the corner for strong drugs, and a trip to the liquor store: I need all the help I can get during DR MBarnum's too-long stay.

DR edisaurus, you asked about CANDIDE and you're gonna get it. While I had a lot of fun seeing the 1973 revisical, I am a strong believer in both the score and the composer's intentions, which nearly every version since 1973 has subverted.  The show began as a play with music suggestion from Lillian Hellman who wanted to show the connection between the HUAC McCarthy hearings and the auto-da-fe's after the Lisbon earthquake. Bernstein saw Voltaire's satire as a chance for him to write satirical music and the show ended up as a "comic operetta" requiring good singers, who couldn't act as well as Hellman wanted her scenes to be performed.  To her credit, shw took a picaresque novel with a lot of stupid characters enduring endless rape, torture, death, venereal disease, fraud, etc. and gave the plot a development that Voltaire never even considered, and her last scene in the ruins of Westphalia, when everyone finally wises up, is really beautiful and moving.

Bernstein's score is a mini-history of Western Music from the Eighteenth Century to Alban Berg as a joke:

Westphalia
  1. Overture: Sullivan's "The Yeoman of the Guard" meets Rossini
  2. The Best of All Possible Worlds: Gilbert & Sullivan
  3.  Oh, Happy We - I can't pinpoint anything here
  4.  Chorale and Battle: Bach chorales and a bit of Stravinsky
  5. It Must Be So: folksong
Lisbon
  5.  Auto-da-fe: probably a bit of Verdi's auto-da-fe in DON CARLO and a lot that sounds Russian and Spanish to me with Gregorian chant
Paris
  6.  Waltz:  Ravel's LA VALSE
  7.  Glitter and Be Gay: Jewel Song from FAUST and every other 19th Century coloratura aria
  8.  You Were Dead, You Know: bel canto det a la TRAVIATA
  9.  Pilgrim's Procession:  There's a bit of Respighi's THE BIRDS
Buenos Aires
  10. My Love: a serenade, but I couldn't point out a model here
  11.  I Am Easily Assimilated: tango

The score was conceived regionally: French music in Paris, German chorale in Westphalia, Spanish in Buenos Aires, etc.  Bernstein hated the 1973 revision because it destroyed his framework.

John Mauceri and Harold Prince in 1973 removed the operetta/opera parody and turned the show into a comic romp. The homosexuality of Maximilian, only briefly referred to by Voltaire and Hellman, became a big camp item, Hershy Kay's reorchestration lost all of its original sense of classical parody by being pared down. Bernstein wasn't happy with the 1973 or the 1980s City Opera Version which kept the 1973 frame and inserted more of the original score, stillout of order.

In the late 1980s, Mauceri and the Scottish Opera put together a new CANDIDE with all the music back in its proper placement, Bernstein sanctioned this, and later in London he recorded a complete concert version of this edition.

I still prefer the 1956 cast; the recording is well conducted and the cast, with the exception of a radiant Bartbara Cook, often sounds too mature but sings the score excellently.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 04:41:12 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 04:42:42 AM »

The Scottish Opera version, conducted by Justin Brown, is almost as good as the 1956 cast, and there are additional numbers.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 04:47:36 AM »

Let me cast another vote for FIFTY PERCENT.  I think it is one of the greatest musical affirmation songs ever written for the stage.  I think that song and I'M WAY AHEAD from SEESAW are both powerful and uplifting numbers when performed with that positive spin.  Don't let any yokel try to second guess your instincts, BK.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 04:47:39 AM »

The Bernstein concerts in London were recorded for video and CD, and I prefer the DVD: the commentary by Bernstein on the work and the narration give the story some movement between the numbers and the cast, with a lot of opera stars, sings the music really well if not so theatrically as one would like.  I like Adolph Green's Pangloss, Nicolai Gedda's Governer, and Crista Ludwig's Old Lady quite a lot, but Bernstein's conducting of his greatest score lacks the verve tat 1956, Mauceri in 1973, and Scottish Opera give it.

DRs on this site whom I admire like several versions I loathe, such as 1999 National Theatre of Great Britain and the PBS edition with Patti Lupone. I feel they miss the boat and intentions of the original writers.

Ben

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 04:47:42 AM »

Good morning crew!

Ben

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 04:49:02 AM »

I'm looking forward to Thursday's get together.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 04:49:20 AM »

Positive vibes for elmore's MRI results.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/size][/move]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 04:49:42 AM »

I'm in the anti-50% camp. The Bergman lyrics for nearly everything they've written elude me.  So I don't brush his teeth! Big deal.

TOD:
  GLADIATOR
  HERCULES and HERCULES UNCHAINED

DR MBarnum will love today's TOD!

Ben

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 04:50:08 AM »

Looks like MusicGuy brought the temperatures of Phoenix with him, not the humidity level, just the temps. It is supposed to get better by Thursday and the weekend but today is supposed to be a real NY summer day. Oh, well. We haven't had one yet this year.

Ben

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 04:51:12 AM »

I'm listening to Radio Devon. In 1965 Patricia Routledge did a studio recording of Hello Dolly I didn't know that! They aren't playing the entire recording, just Elegance.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 04:53:43 AM by Ben »

Tomovoz

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 04:54:45 AM »

Not needing to "get" any of Mr Bernstein's musical references, I just enjoy the delightfulness of "Candide". I probably heard the 1973 version first and it thus may well be my favourite. As with JMK, I enjoy all the versions I have. I enjoyed the Scottish one on video far more than I did Mr Bernstein's London concert version.

And yes I enjoy very much the campness of the recent concert version - even tolerating Patti!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Edisaurus

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 04:55:22 AM »

Thank you so much for taking the time to continue my music education, DR Elmore!

I had noticed that the number of cuts on each album ranged quite a bit, but your notes have brought new depth to my understanding of what Bernstein and the rest were up to.
I was inclined to buy the one you listed, but the 1974 had more songs like "Life is Happiness Indeed", "Sheep's Song", and I didn't see "Auto de Fe" on the track list for the 1956 version.

I liked Dr. Pangloss in the 70's version. But The 50's one has Barbara Cook, who rules!

You can see why I sought advice!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ben

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 04:56:28 AM »

We watched History Boys last night. I thought the play was wonderful. Funny, moving and beautifully done. The film is good but it doesn't have the effect of the stage production (IMHO). Anthony had not seen the play and was rather put off by Dakin's moves toward Irwin. If you've not seen the show I think the movie is a decent representation but having seen both I'll vote for the live show.

Tomovoz

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 04:57:31 AM »

Good morning North America.
And Goodnight From OZ.

(DR Ben your Chitty should arrive very soon!)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 04:58:58 AM »

I probably was led to the 1973 Candide by the Sondheim connection.
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2007, 04:59:50 AM »

We have a copy of the 1945 State Fair. I never cared for the Pat Boone, Ann Margaret version so I'm looking forward to watching this.

Tomovoz

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2007, 04:59:55 AM »

I'm glad I wrote "North America". Hello DR Jennifer.
James Thurber 1957

Edisaurus

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2007, 05:00:23 AM »

My client last night enjoyed hearing that shout-out from Beverly Humphries!

Ben, who sang the version of "This Nearly Was Mine" that she played on "your" show? She said his name twice but it was so fast I coudn't catch it. My DH thought he heard the same singer the next morning performing the "Going Home" piece derived from the New World Symphony.

Tomovoz

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2007, 05:01:24 AM »

We have a copy of the 1945 State Fair. I never cared for the Pat Boone, Ann Margaret version so I'm looking forward to watching this.

For some reason (Pat Boone) I always confuse the State Fair remake with April Love.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up