Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: EPHEMERA AND DETRITUS  (Read 34957 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:EPHEMERA AND DETRITUS
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2007, 08:03:31 AM »

Seriously, there are some places on the East Side that are like long-term hotel apartments.  -A lot of people who come up for hospital treatments use them.  Alas, no names come to mind right now, but I know they will come up on hotels.com and other sites like that.  You may also want to give Priceline.com a spin just to see if you can book a long term stay via the site, and also what kind of lowball figure you could work out.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2007, 08:07:34 AM »

bk - This site may help you:

http://www.furnishedquarters.com
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2007, 08:11:44 AM »

Heading down now to do a little reading before starting on lunch preparation. I'm preparing a meat loaf today.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2007, 08:13:29 AM »

We almost went to see Legends in Concert at Resorts, since my brother had raved about that show in Vegas - but we got to the box office and saw the list of stars who were being impersonated and decided against it.  That and to some extent the fact that it wasn't reserved seating but maitre d seating, and it annoyed us to have where we sit be subject to someone's whim and guessing right about an appropriate tip  :) .

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2007, 08:13:31 AM »

PAGE FOUR EPHEMERA AND DETRITUS DANCE!!!!

*I haven't a clew as to why this image came up when I Googled E&D.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2007, 08:16:03 AM »

TOD, I exclude films like SPARTACUS, GLADIATOR because they are serious A pictures not in the same league of tackiness that THE COLOSSUS OF RHODES is in.

So my choices:

JASON & THE ARGONAUTS (almost too good to be included)

THE EGYPTIAN (Supposedly an "A" film, but man is it cheesy)

About "Jason and the Argonauts", I have to say it doesn't belong on any list with those other titles (excluding "The Egyptian").  It makes no pretensions to be anything other than what it is...a terrific fantasy.  It's in a separate class with "Mysterious Island", "Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" and "Journey to the Center of the Earth", IMO.

As for "The Egyptian"....to each his own.

In my opinion, "The Egyptian" -- as a film -- stands well above most epics of the 50s, but some reject it for whatever reasons finding no value in the authentic atmosphere, fantastic sets, stunning cinematography and brilliant music underscoring.

Add to that some solid performances from Victor Mature, Jean Simmons, Peter Ustinov and Michael Wilding (plus a stolid, if uninvolving leading performance by Edmund Purdom) and you really get a stunning piece of entertainment that holds the attention, dazzles the eyes and ears and becomes emotionally involving.

Wilding, as the pharaoh, has the film's -- and one of filmdom's -- best moments near the end of the film.

But best of all is the film's music:

There have been many milestones in film music history that have resonated through the decades finding new audiences and inspiring new recordings.

Unique among them is "The Egyptian," a major collaboration between uber-composers Bernard Herrmann (to whom the film was assigned) and Alfred Newman (20th Century-Fox Music Department head and all-time great composer/conductor). While Herrmann got the initial assignment, the allotted time was inadequate for him to do justice to the film. Newman stepped in and developed thematic materials which Herrmann incorporated into his own desginated sections of the film, while Newman the rest.

Newman's underscoring for the key scene with Wilding's pharaoh, Akhnaton -- called "Death of Akhnaton" -- is an example of what film scoring is all about. It also heightens awareness of what seems to be missing from many of today's film composers resumes -- intensive education in music theory, counterpoint, harmony and exposure to all forms of music. The scene is breathtaking, heartbreakingly performed and musically overwhelming, although the music is always "under" the scene rather than rampaging over it.

There are many wonderful pieces of music in this film...from the awe-inspiring opening to the exquisite theme for "Merit" to the sinuous, hypnotic theme for "Nefer", Herrmann and Newman have created a musical palette of stunning splendors.

I cannot overstate its importance as a film score, thankfully preserved on CD by Film Score Monthly -- the splendiferousness of its performance on this recording by the 20th Century-Fox Studio Orchestra as conducted by Alfred Newman, and the glorious choral work of Newman's right-hand man, Ken Darby.

"The Egyptian" is a beacon in film music history.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 08:16:48 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2007, 08:16:53 AM »

The only other showroom show that was playing on a Monday night was the Mega-Magic show at Tropicana, which looked enticing, but that was at 8 pm and we wouldn't have gotten back to the city until well after midnight.  Plus, my friend Lesli still had to get a jitney (or whatever they call those vans) to New Jersey

FJL

« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2007, 08:18:05 AM »

Jitney to Jersey - that's the name of my new something or other about the jitney to Jersey

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2007, 08:24:35 AM »

FJL, you could go see "Movin' Out."
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ben

« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2007, 08:25:14 AM »

bk - This site may help you:

http://www.furnishedquarters.com

Wow! $135 a night for a fifth-floor walk-up studio. I could rent out our apartment when we're on vacation and make a fortune. Of course, the rentees could trash the place and then we would be up the proverbial creek.

FJL

« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2007, 08:25:29 AM »

Planning a trip with Julie to the D.C. area to see Witches of Eastwick at the Signature in Arlington, Virgnia at the July 7 Saturday matinee, and then Dead Man's Cell Phone at the Woolly (sp?) Mammoth Theater that evening.

Jose -  We have an extra ticket for Witches of Eastwick if you're going to be in the D.C./Virginia area that day.  Or have you already seen it?  

FJL

« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2007, 08:28:42 AM »

Laura _ Does MOVIN' OUT play Monday nights?  The info we had gotten that for the major shows, our only choices on a Monday night were Legends in Concert and Mega-Magic.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2007, 08:29:07 AM »

Be sure to say hello to both Miss Skinner and Miss Noll.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2007, 08:30:10 AM »

As I'm finding out, these apartment things don't work for long stays, but for short stays they seem to be cheaper than apartments (the ones on Craig's List), but then again I have no idea what deposits are required, etc.

FJL

« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2007, 08:31:12 AM »

As they are flying over our seats, I shall mouth "Bruce Kimmel says hi."  :)

FJL

« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2007, 08:32:10 AM »

Bruce - Could you get three short-term stays if it works better for short term?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2007, 08:34:52 AM »

Laura _ Does MOVIN' OUT play Monday nights?  The info we had gotten that for the major shows, our only choices on a Monday night were Legends in Concert and Mega-Magic.

I just googled "Atlantic City shows" and clicked on a ticketing site. I thought you were there now and looking for a show for tonight. Do you only go on Mondays?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2007, 08:35:32 AM »

Later versions of Candide have inserted and/or restored Candide's final aria, "Nothing More Than This," which is classic Bernstein, and which I love.

Actually, I was going to go further into CANDIDE-dom before I had to leave.  I'll report on my MRI in a minute.

DR edisaurus mentioned the 1973 numbers "Life Is Happiness Indeed,"  which was a rewrite by Sondheim of Dorothy Parker's "Venice Gavotte," and "The Sheeps' Song," which was an early and long-cut number called "Fernando's Lullaby."  The original final number for CANDIDE was a strange piece called "Get You Up," which is in the earliest drafts.

I believe "Nothing More Than This," like "Words Words Words" was written for the 1971 Los Angeles Civic Light Opera production of Sheldon Patinkin's (Mandy's cousin, I believe) rewrite of Lillian Hellman.  It was this production that caused Hellman to wash her hands of the show and abandon it. "We Are Women," Bernstein's bel canto duet, was written for the 1958 London production.  I saw the Broadway-bound 1971 version, which had great musical staging by Michael Kidd and two(!!) versions in Act One Scene One of "The Best of All Possible Worlds" and "Oh Happy We," which was ridiculous and redundant.

Now, the MRI! I'm okay with a herniated cervical disc and a lot of arthritic irritation. No surgery for now.  I told the orthopedist I'd say au revoir and not goodbye.

DR MusicGuy called me while I was on the subway and invited me to lunch.  The phone number's fine except the area code is so garbled I can't make it out!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2007, 08:36:25 AM »

Can someone find out, for example, what the Hilton Gardens (where I stayed last time - on Eighth) is going for end of July?

According to hotels.com, it's over $300/night.  Couldn't easily find a direct phone number, though.

singdaw

« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2007, 08:39:13 AM »

No surgery for now.

THAT'S good news, at least!  :)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #110 on: June 26, 2007, 08:40:05 AM »

"The Egyptian" is a beacon in film music history.

Fascinating story, DR Ron P. I'll have to pick that one up!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ben

« Reply #111 on: June 26, 2007, 08:42:42 AM »

Actually, I was going to go further into CANDIDE-dom before I had to leave.  I'll report on my MRI in a minute.

DR edisaurus mentioned the 1973 numbers "Life Is Happiness Indeed,"  which was a rewrite by Sondheim of Dorothy Parker's "Venice Gavotte," and "The Sheeps' Song," which was an early and long-cut number called "Fernando's Lullaby."  The original final number for CANDIDE was a strange piece called "Get You Up," which is in the earliest drafts.

I believe "Nothing More Than This," like "Words Words Words" was written for the 1971 Los Angeles Civic Light Opera production of Sheldon Patinkin's (Mandy's cousin, I believe) rewrite of Lillian Hellman.  It was this production that caused Hellman to wash her hands of the show and abandon it. "We Are Women," Bernstein's bel canto duet, was written for the 1958 London production.  I saw the Broadway-bound 1971 version, which had great musical staging by Michael Kidd and two(!!) versions in Act One Scene One of "The Best of All Possible Worlds" and "Oh Happy We," which was ridiculous and redundant.

Now, the MRI! I'm okay with a herniated cervical disc and a lot of arthritic irritation. No surgery for now.  I told the orthopedist I'd say au revoir and not goodbye.

DR MusicGuy called me while I was on the subway and invited me to lunch.  The phone number's fine except the area code is so garbled I can't make it out!

I think his cell phone area code should be a Phoenix code which is probably 602

singdaw

« Reply #112 on: June 26, 2007, 08:43:31 AM »

Thanks, DR elmore3003, for all the great details on Candide!

Cillaliz

« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2007, 08:43:38 AM »

DR Elmore, sounds like good, but still painful news...Healing vibes~~~~~~~

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2007, 08:48:16 AM »

DR Elmore, sounds like good, but still painful news...Healing vibes~~~~~~~

Ditto from me.

To put a lighter spin on this, I'd say this is normally where someone would say, "Blame Jose".

But since it's Elmore and it's a herniated cervical disc, it had to have been caused by something else.

I say, "Blame MBarnum!"

;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2007, 08:48:25 AM »

I don't know how many musicians were in the pit for the original production and recording, but the orchestrations for the 73/74 revival are considerably reduced.

35 players at the Martin Beck, 12 in 1973 at the Broadway.  The production in 1973 was a lot of fun but it does pervert completely Bernstein's compositional arc of the score as well as lose the opera parody and any classical music references get lost in that tiny approach.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2007, 08:48:33 AM »

Laura - Lesli and I just happened to go yesterday, choosing a Monday in part because it's known to be a less crowded day.  It was my first time there in over two years.  Probably will go back again in a few months.  I hate to concede this, because for me, Vegas is such an effort to get to - but Atlantic City ain't the magical place Vegas is, especially with the conditions of the neighborhoods just one block from the Atlantic City boardwalk and the (relatively) lesser magic of the Atlantic City hotels.  Even the cab ride form Taj Mahal to the Tropicana felt a bit skeevy and threatening.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2007, 08:49:33 AM »

TOD:

Not a huge fan of this genre, but I'll go with:

JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS
CLASH OF THE TITANS

I agree with these...I don't know too many, either.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2007, 08:52:29 AM »

Is this the very very tall actor someone asked about last night who appears on TNT'S HEARTLAND? (His character is named Vancouver, but I don't think it's because he is so much farther above everyone else...)

http://www.tnt.tv/series/heartland/castcrew/?contentId=28974
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2007, 08:56:15 AM »

bk - Dave Clemmons Casting handled the two big open calls for NYMF the past two years.  You may want to give them a call to see if you can still get on their list - 212-594-7434.  *And you can ask for DR Joy since she's now a Casting Director there.  -Or you could also talk to Geoff, Bekah, etc.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up