Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: SOUR CREAM  (Read 26779 times)

Jed

Re:SOUR CREAM
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2004, 01:30:20 AM »

Forget pink, it's all about PURPLE!!!

At least so says Maya and me!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2004, 01:33:32 AM »

Jed -- What did DR Ann mean when she said that posting your photo might put us into wide-screen???
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jed

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2004, 01:35:56 AM »

Jed -- What did DR Ann mean when she said that posting your photo might put us into wide-screen???

Well, luckily she remembered at the last minute that this is a family site, so she had to select another picture. :D

Laura II

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2004, 01:40:56 AM »

::shaking head:: I think BK was right about you, Jed. :P
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jed

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2004, 01:49:22 AM »

About my cutting wit, dashing good looks, staggering intellect, and general all-around greatness?  Yes, he was quite right!

As for the "nefarious" thing... ;)

Robin

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2004, 05:55:23 AM »

Well, here I be...still in my PJs 'cause I don't gotta go to work, but looking forward to the day. Which will bring the Significant Other and myself to The Palamino for lunch, and to the Park Square theatre over in St. Paul for a matinee of Pacific Overtures, a work which I tremendously admire.  About two years ago, we caught a production of this at the Chicago Shakepeare Theatre (which is, in all honesty, in Chicago...go figure!), and it was quite an exhilarating performance.  I'm hoping for something equally so today.  

Last night was a stay-at-home Saturday, which is always pleasant, but was made even moreso by a viewing of the deeveedee of The Great Dictator, with Mr. Charles Chaplin and the sublime Miss Paulette Goddard.  It's not my favorite of Chaplin's films (that would be City Lights), but it's not shabby by any stretch of the imagination.  We didn't get to the documentary bonus feature, The Tramp and the Dictator, but we'll be seeing it sometime in the near future...
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Michael

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2004, 05:55:42 AM »

Dear Reader Jason:

If there is any chance that you could sneak away or rearrange an audition time for Dirty Blonde you should do so. Both male parts are challenging and one gets to play mutliple roles. I believe both actors who did the show on Broadway were nominated for Tonys for their verstile turns. It was an enjoyable theater going experience and would be a challenging experience as an actor which ever role you would play. There is drama. There is comedy. An actor's dream. Go for it.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2004, 05:58:42 AM »

A DVD question. Older films that were made in the 1:33 or 1:37 framing process can these films be processes anamorphically to get more lines of resolution?
Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2004, 05:58:59 AM »

Got back Friday, at long last, from the three weeks of travel in the West.  Highlights were: time spent with my nieces (age 5 & 3), time aboard the ship on which Master & Commander was filmed, walking the hidden steps around Disney Concert Hall, watching DW Joy on the mechanical bull at Rawhide, and the Christmas Eve Do.

We attended Caroline, Or, Change yesterday - by two 40-something writers whom I've worked with, separately, on musicals.  Fascinating show with excellent music and some good ideas.  Not sure the plot's working for it, though.

New Year's Resolutions, if kept, will keep me from devoting all the hours necessary to read all the posts to this here site . . . I'm conflicted, and not sure what to do about it.

www.WeddingMusical.com
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2004, 07:25:50 AM »

Well.....not to get involved or anything...since I don't really have opinions on anything.....

Some of the movies mentioned I enjoyed very much, some of them not so much, and some of them not at all.  But I have seen them!

And MR BK please - although Mr Frankie Avalon had a small cameo in PAJAMA PARTY - the male lead opposite Ms Annette Funicello was played by Mr Tommy Kirk!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2004, 07:28:31 AM »

Good morning everyone!

Wow, I had so much trouble getting to sleep last night.  I guess that is what falling asleep earlier in the evening will do to you. But I was so tired then.

I have one more comment about the Casblanca comment and "tone".  I actually did not find Tom From Oz's comments were going in a certain direction. But maybe that's just me.  Yes it can be very difficult to tell if someone is preaching, being annoying, or trying to encourage.  But I still think that we have to watch the terms we use. I have no problem with differing opinions as long as nobody gets insulting.  And those are my 5 cents.

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2004, 07:30:40 AM »

OMG DR Jrand: I just happened to see your karma.  You must be very loved! :)

Btw, I think I am hungry and need to eat before I set out for the day.

I thought it was gonna get warmer today but it still feels freezing in my basement. I must check. Bye all.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2004, 07:54:44 AM »

Good morning, all. (Said in a cheerful, friendly tone.) About to take dog for a walk (Subtex, nuance: He needs to do his morning  poop in the park.) Wouldn't that be a good musical? "A Poop in the Park with Abie"...

Panni

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2004, 07:56:01 AM »

Revision: "A Sunday Poop in the Park with Abie"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2004, 08:13:27 AM »

DR Jennifer - the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2004, 08:13:54 AM »

A bitterly cold day in these parts, so I'll be having hot chocolate and staying inside.

Speaking of THE GREAT DICTATOR, Siskel and Ebert once did a special show on Chaplin where they denegrated Chaplin's final speech in the movie saying that it ruined the film for them. At that point, I had never seen THE GREAT DICTATOR, only knew it by reputation, but the first chance I got to see it at a revival theater, I was there.

How astonished was I when the film reached that final speech, I had tears in my eyes from Chaplin's overwhelmingly passionate plea for the human race to get a grip and stop the madness. How could ANY discerning critics find that speech unnecessary, especially in light of the way the world was at the time AND what we know now was really going on in Germany/Europe then? Chaplin seems almost psychic in that speech.

For me, that final speech MAKES the film.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 08:15:51 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2004, 08:18:01 AM »

Well, I caught up on yesterday's discussion, and I've got to say, that ON OTHER less popular internet sites, these types of discussions are far less civilized than here at HHW.

I must say that FILM can be a life-changing experience: IF I had not been sitting very high up in the balcony of The Nixon Theater as a pre-adolescent, my life-long obsession would certainly not have begun.  For it was there - go ahead and laugh all you want - that I first saw THE SOUND OF MUSIC.  Imagine if you will, that super-sized Todd-AO screen, presenting super clear images; the sound system properly calibrated to enhance, not over power, and the collective sighs of the well-behaved audience.  It's hard, in today's world of rude audience members, cell-phones, postage-stamp sized screens, uncomfortable seating, sound leaking in from the screen next door, to think of a time when "Going to the Movies" was an event to be savored, not dreaded.
Yes, the combination of Robert Wise and Julie Andrews and Rodgers and Hammerstein et al, DID change my life.  Eventually, I had seen THE SOUND OF MUSIC well over a dozen times on the big screen, each time finding something new to mull over. . .the helicoptor shots at the beginning, the real role of Elsa, the part that comic relief played and on and on.
So, THE SOUND OF MUSIC may not be the greatest film ever made (IMHO, that honor falls to LAWRENCE OF ARABIA), but it certainly played a part in making me the man I am today.

In the 1980's, every Sunday night, my best friend and I would get together and watch TWO films on videotape, the rules being one had to be one which neither of us had seen before, the other being a recent flick.  Ivariable, if the film was in black & white, my b.f. would fall asleep within the first half hour! ! !  This is a man who slept through CAMILLE, CITIZEN KANE, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD ! ! !

I'm thankful that home video has allowed me to catch up with films that I hadn't seen - - although if someone passionately recommends that I see Ashton Kutcher in JUST MARRIED, I'll still pass.  Some I have disliked:  EASY RIDER, majorly.  Some I have been surprised and delight by: THE TREASURE OF SIERRA MADRE, METROPOLIS.  Some recommendations have been followed to my infinite delight:  KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE, CASTLE IN THE SKY, SPIRITED AWAY (thanks again, BK), DONNIE DARKO; others have been traded off nearly immediately after viewing:  DAREDEVIL.

BUT, none of this would have happened had I not fallen under the spell of TSOM at an early age, wanting to know more about the "How's and Why's and What's" about film.

Now that the rant is over

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD MORNING EVERYONE!   [/move]
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2004, 08:28:09 AM »

TD - you forgot about THE APPLE!

td

• td
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2004, 08:32:53 AM »

TD - you forgot about THE APPLE!

Unforgettable, to be sure!  Didn't get to see it on a cinema screen, though.
Does seeing CAN'T STOP THE MUSIC over fifteen times (on the big screen) make up for it?

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2004, 08:45:32 AM »

DR Michael Shayne, that's an interesting question about anamorphic enhancement of 1.37:1 films. Yes, I believe it can be done; it just almost never is.

The reason I think that it can be done is FANTASIA 2000. This new version of FANTASIA was filmed in 1.85:1, but the studio inserted "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" into the film from the original FANTASIA (which was obviously filmed in 1.37:1, the old ratio). When I watch FANTASIA 2000 which is enhanced for widescreen TVs, I do not have to reset my set when that segment of the film comes on. The movie continues to play with no distortion during that sequence. Right now, I can't remember if the studio window-boxed that segment (black bars on the side of the frame) or reframed it entirely. That I can't remember, but they did something to make that old piece of FANTASIA fit into the new film without my having to do anything except sit back and enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 08:57:03 AM by Matt H. »

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2004, 08:45:37 AM »

Well, it's obvious to me from the "tone" of several posts yesterday that several DRs must be

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]STUCK IN TACOMA[/move]
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2004, 08:48:16 AM »

In fact, I think being "stuck in Tacoma" should be our new HHW euphemism for anyone becoming a bit snippy.  I have been stuck in Tacoma myself from time to time, not to make a Federal Way case out of it or anything (little joke for the Washingtonians there).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2004, 08:54:13 AM »

DR Ron, I agree MOST strongly with your opinions on Michelle Kwan's performance last night. I'm jealous you got to give details and specifics that I didn't do since I didn't want to spoil the surprise for anyone who was looking forward to watching it. She was as powerful and majestic as any female figure skater I've ever seen. AND rock solid on every move she executed. That kind of consistency is wonderful, and if she is indeed serious about heading back to the Olympics in 2006, I hope this new coach can keep her consistently focused on doing her programs with authority and not get timid just because she wants that gold medal so badly.

One small caveat: the technical difficulty she had in this program was EXACTLY the same as her 1998 Olympic silver-medal winning program, so I was just a tiny, tiny bit disappointed there were no triple-triple combinations and only one triple-double. Sasha did have THREE triple-double combinations which accounts for the unusually high technical scores she got despite falling once and having a bump on the end of another jump.

Danise

« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2004, 09:14:10 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] WARNING!  RANT TO FOLLOW!!!! >:(  >:(  >:( [/move]
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2004, 09:22:32 AM »

It is cold here.  Cold is a 4 letter word.    Cold is not warm.  Cold is not good.  I HATE being cold!!!!!!!

I'm wearing a t-shirt under a sweatshirt under my heavy terry cloth robe.  I have 2 pairs of socks on.  I am STILL cold!  I have already had 2 cups of hot tea.  I am still cold.  

I am so ready for Spring!

Having said all of that,

Good morning all.  Did you know that it's COLD here in Florida????
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

td

• td
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2004, 09:27:42 AM »

Danise, it could be worse.
You could be

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]STUCK IN TACOMA[/move]

td

• td
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2004, 09:28:42 AM »

hey! Wait a minim ! ! !

My ex left me to go and live in Tacoma ! ! !

Has anybody seen my ex? ? ?

Danise

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2004, 09:39:52 AM »

Jeans.  Did I say I was also wearing jeans?  I don't want anyone to think I might be cold because I forgot to put my pants on!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2004, 09:45:56 AM »

I'm VERY energetic this morning. Must be the dry, stale popcorn I ingested before going to bed. Started off the day by watching CBS SUNDAY MORNING - which is on in LA at the ungodly hour of 6 a.m.. But it's really one of the last civilized shows on television, so I try to watch whenever I can. Then took my doggie to the park, brought him home and took a brisk two mile walk without him (much easier). Then came back, showered, cleaned up my e-mail. (Last night i finally cleared the over 100 waiting emails I'd been neglecting. Must confess, I Deleted most of them, which I probably shouldn't have. But they've gone unanswered so long that I'm sure they've been forgotten by the senders. Most of them were copies of political articles or jokes. Anything personal, I did answer.) Anyway, I've done all this and it's not even 10 a.m.! Might visit the Studio City Farmers Market later.  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 09:47:04 AM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2004, 09:53:22 AM »

I just noticed that I've become a Sr. Member. So what are the perks?...  A free AARP membership? Getting into movies cheaper? Half-price Early-Bird specials?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up