Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TITULAR ME  (Read 30762 times)

Miss Karen

Re:THE TITULAR ME
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2007, 08:57:49 AM »

Mini-vibe frenzy time it appears ...

Successful casting and crewing vibes to GM bk ... AND DR Noel (now see, another reason to attend the NYMF!!)

Miss Karen

« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2007, 08:58:31 AM »

Ah, the perfect time to do The Brain Tap in honor of page 5!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2007, 08:59:04 AM »

DR NOEL,
Glad to see the link to your show. I had the impression from a previous post that you were unable to obtain funding. This is a different show?

It's the same show.  And the pursuit of funding is on-going and seemingly impossible.  In my heart of hearts, I truly believe that the day will come in which my producer and/or NYMF calls and tells me I don't have enough money raised for Such Good Friends to be in the Festival.

But, since that day hasn't come yet, we proceed, doing all the things we need to do to open on September 28 at the Julia Miles.

I've been having a series of long and intense meetings with the director, in which we go over every beat of the show, questioning how things strike the audience (Frank Loesser punched a leading lady once, so I worry about striking my audience.) and that leads to tons of rewriting.  Old (favorite) songs are thrown out; new songs are written, and I hope they're even better.

Also, the casting process has begun, using my dear wife Joy's firm, which has cast more NYMF shows than anybody, so they know what's what and who's who.

The producer and the director are busy finding the able people who'll do all the things we'll need done, like set designing, costumes, lights, tech direct, publicity, etc.

Fred, Such Good Friends is a completely original show, and has nothing to do with the novel about adultery by Lois Gould or the film Otto Preminger made of it.  I wrote book, music and lyrics completely from scratch.

It's about three funny pals who are putting on a Berle- or Caesar-like variety show in the early days of live TV.  They know each other so well, they're able to avoid all sorts of only-because-it's-live calamities.  You could say it's the same milieu as Laughter on the 23rd Floor and My Favorite Year, but far more serious and emotional.  If you know the musicals that most people don't, I drew a lot of inspiration from Top Banana and Two on the Aisle.

The Such Good Friends URL,

http://www.nymf.org/Show-74.html

is remarkably similar to the one for BK's show,

http://www.nymf.org/Show-704.html

Could it be NYMF knows we're Such Good Friends?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Miss Karen

« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2007, 08:59:30 AM »

..and Brain Tap right on out of here ...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2007, 09:00:25 AM »

Thanks DR MISS KAREN.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2007, 09:02:21 AM »

Did something happen with Pulliam?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2007, 09:02:53 AM »

I've been up for a while, but had a lot of e-mails to attend to.  And in one hour I shall be having a meeting.

Miss Karen

« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2007, 09:03:08 AM »

Thanks DR MISS KAREN.

... if I were there, I'd give you a box of tissues, a box of cough drops, and a can of chicken noodle soup ....

Miss Karen

« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2007, 09:04:31 AM »

... and I'd send you a post card (with "Cough Be Gone" wishes), but it seems the NYC HHWers already sent YOU a post card ....
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 09:07:52 AM by Miss Karen »

Jennifer

« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2007, 09:05:21 AM »

For BIG BROTHER fans, here is the best live feed recaps.  It is John at canoe who is now writing for Global tv.

http://communities.canada.com/globaltv/blogs/bigbrotherrewind/default.aspx

Miss Karen

« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2007, 09:07:05 AM »

Did something happen with Pulliam?

He's turned into a .... don't read this, bk, it will hurt ... a dreaded LURKING LOOKER!

Jennifer

« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2007, 09:09:16 AM »

DR Cillaliz, little gabe is so cute. Congrats to you and your family!

Jason

« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2007, 09:18:56 AM »

Mornin', all...

Media Check:

Mp3 Player: LEGALLY BLONDE: THE MUSICAL
DVD: Auntie Mame

I'm just sitting around waiting to call DR Jose...I want to give him time to get his hair cut. We may be seeing a movie this afternoon...just because we can.

What's this about a nudie opera?? I might need to see that...just to...you know...confirm its existence. ;)

Jason

« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2007, 09:20:25 AM »

OH! Last night at Q, this guy and his family came to my booth and the guy kept staring at me like he knew me. He looked vaguely familiar, but I had no idea who he was. Well, it turned out to be Phil, who participated in the 'Jeepers Creepers' album with us! (And he bought swag, so..."Thanks, Phil!")

Small world, isn't it...?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 09:21:39 AM by Jason »

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2007, 09:30:52 AM »

Love that Bryn!   :)

Oh man. He almost blew the speakers out of my car, his voice is so big. I never would have heard of him if it hadn't been for Ben.

The R&H CD is great---I'm going to buy a few more for my dad and mom; they will both love it!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: July 06, 2007, 09:31:59 AM »

I'm tired and the day is just beginning.  We're now starting to try to figure out where rehearsals will take place - with four weeks of 'em, forty hours a week, it can get very costly.

Edisaurus

« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2007, 09:32:47 AM »

I had noticed that little error yesterday, too, but didn't say anything. I knew what you meant.

In the words of Brenda LEE:

"I'm sorry...so sorry"...
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ginny

« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2007, 09:39:07 AM »

The R&H CD is great---I'm going to buy a few more for my dad and mom; they will both love it!

DR Edi - count me in as a fan of Bryn Terfel.  I was shopping at Border's years ago and they were playing this glorious R & H recording.  I went right up to the desk, asked who it was, and bought the CD on the spot.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Edisaurus

« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2007, 09:41:21 AM »

MBarnum, how is your mom doing?

And...how did those lemon petunias fare in your absence?

Edisaurus

« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2007, 09:44:02 AM »

... and I'd send you a post card (with "Cough Be Gone" wishes), but it seems the NYC HHWers already sent YOU a post card ....

I didn't get one either, Miss K. We can  :'( together!

Edisaurus

« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2007, 09:46:19 AM »

DR Edi - count me in as a fan of Bryn Terfel.  I was shopping at Border's years ago and they were playing this glorious R & H recording.  I went right up to the desk, asked who it was, and bought the CD on the spot.

does he ever tour in the states? I would love to see him, and I know my mom would swoon!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »

For DearReaderLaura - to help cool off:

FRO-YO

A game of top this in frozen yogurt wars

For a guy who has yet to officially open his business in the U.S., the president of fledgling frozen yogurt company Red Mango is having a very good day. "We just installed a machine in Leonardo DiCaprio's office," Dan Kim says from the South Korea-based firm's office near LAX. "Now he wants a machine delivered to his temporary home in New York. Apparently, he heard about the rats at Pinkberry's New York store."

Jason - maybe you can get Leo to invite you over. This is the probiotic yogurt that might help with cold-sores!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Edisaurus

« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2007, 09:47:30 AM »

Well, it turned out to be Phil, who participated in the 'Jeepers Creepers' album with us! (And he bought swag, so..."Thanks, Phil!")

You're on that album? Hmmmm...maybe I'll buy one!

Edisaurus

« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2007, 09:49:26 AM »

For DearReaderLaura - to help cool off:

Be forewarned---the small army men can pose a choking hazard!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2007, 09:54:08 AM »

Oh man. He almost blew the speakers out of my car, his voice is so big. I never would have heard of him if it hadn't been for Ben.

This is a household favorite you might enjoy:

der Brucer

Edisaurus

« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2007, 09:58:01 AM »

It's on my list. (Boy, I need to start saving for NY!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2007, 09:58:23 AM »

Be forewarned---the small army men can pose a choking hazard!

One hopes they are Chocolate Soldiers, and can be devoured with cannibalistic relish. (Or with whatever relish you choose.)

der Brucer

MBarnum

« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2007, 09:59:00 AM »

Edisaurus, the Jeepers Creepers album is so much fun! You would love it!

MBarnum

« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2007, 10:00:38 AM »

Mom seems to be recovering nicely in ICU. I don't know when she will be released. Likely this weekend.

My petunias survived quite nicely due to my friend Ron's good care of my home environment whilst I was away. I shall be posting photos of my petunias this weekend for all to see!

Edisaurus

« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2007, 10:07:36 AM »

Two films are opening today at The Quad Cinema (where SACCO AND VANZETTI played) that sound very interesting. If any DR's see them, I would be interested in hearing what you thought. They both received rave reviews in the NYT, so yay for the QUAD!

The first is COLMA:THE MUSICAL, about "three young people on the brink of that terrifying adventure called life, but it's also about how we learn to give voice---joyfully, honestly, loudly---to the truest parts of ourselves, parts not everyone else hears."

"The idea of youth as a cause for self-discovery works well
with the movie's belief in music as an intimate means of self-expression. H.P. Mendoza's hooky-songs, both the short and semisweet and the epically narrative, look as much outward as they do inward. Yet even when the songs convey a sense of
the larger world, they remain as personal as a confession."

The other film, which made me think of DR's Elmore and Tomovoz, got a fantastic front page review: MACBETH.

From critic Matt Zoller Seitz's review: "For four centuries William Shakespeare's plays have been reinvented to fit contemporary sensibilities. But few recent efforts can match the Australian
writer and director Geoffrey Wright's brutal and thrilling new version, which envisions the thane of Cawder as a longhaired,  drug-addled gangster and his poisoned realm as a decadent MTV dreamscape of nymphet witches, smoky nightclubs and point-blank, slow-motion gun battles"

"Wright's movie goes to great, often inventive lengths to tell the tale visually, it dutifully preserves great swaths of the playwright's verse and often ramps down its machine-gun style editing and jittery handheld camera work to allow sensuous language. This results in the cast's consistently imaginative, lively performances to take center stage."

I guess you'd need "machine-gun style editing" for those gun battles, eh?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up