Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: BEWITCHED, BOTHERED, AND BEWILDERED  (Read 33149 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:BEWITCHED, BOTHERED, AND BEWILDERED
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2007, 04:57:34 AM »

[size=8]
PAGE THREE!
[/size][/b][/color]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ben

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2007, 04:58:49 AM »

Good Morning folks.

It's hot in New York but it's July so I can't be suprised.

I listened to Showtime on Saturday evening and recorded it. I'm glad I did because my review of 110 in the Shade was aired. The only problem is I can't tell all my e-mail folks about it because they haven't put the show up on Listen Again. They have put up the show from June 23rd, though and that's the one where Amy has her letter read by Beverley. I dropped a note to the producer and I hope that later in the week (like later today maybe) the show from July 7 will be up to hear.

The bowl is washed and I have much work to do at the office. I'm glad to be here in an air-conditioned room. I'm not one to complain about the coolness. I wouldn't be able to work if there was no AC in the office.

Part of my reaction to FS is based on his hateful and mean-spirited persona as he got older so I'm not as much of a fan as I used to be. I prefer early and middle Frank for vocals. The Nelson Riddle stuff is classic and full of favorites. I loathe his recording of New York, New York. It's everything that's wrong with late Frank. It's an arrogant, selfish and, IMHO, badly sung performance by an artists who, at this stage in his career, doesn't seem to give a rat's patootie about anything but getting paid for singing (badly) a song. OK, rant over.

Gotta go!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2007, 05:11:14 AM »

Good morning, Ben.  Good morning TCB (oh wait, that's me).
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2007, 05:12:44 AM »

And those words I have always dreamed of saying.....

Good morning, td!
“One thing’s universal,

td

• td
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2007, 05:18:10 AM »

Good morning, TCB!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ben

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2007, 05:24:42 AM »

I know it's not Wednesday but I do have a question for our own BK.

Bruce, will you be having private Brain auditions in New York? You mentioned a casting director. Anthony is interested in auditioning and wondered if and when the call would be held.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2007, 06:03:31 AM »

TOD:

Favorite Sinatra performances:
ON THE TOWN
THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE
SOME CAME RUNNING
THE JOKER IS WILD
A HOLE IN THE HEAD

Least Favorite:
PAL JOEY
COME BLOW YOUR HORN
OCEAN'S ELEVEN

Favorite Vocal Performances:
The entire In The Wee Small Hours album
That's Life
It Was A Very Good Year

Least Favorite:
Strangers In The Night
My Way
New York, New York

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2007, 06:05:04 AM »

Doobie doobie doo!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2007, 06:06:06 AM »

Spoo, I guess I missed Michael S  by a matter of an hour and a few seconds.  :)

I am awaiting a call from Jason.  He has to be at the theater around 6:45  so his schedule shall determine ours.... I have to head out now... youhave my number (and I believe I have yours so we will firm things up later)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2007, 06:07:33 AM »

OK.. off for an adventure!!! Hurrah!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2007, 06:22:54 AM »

Monday morning greetings!

DR Vixmom - have fun in the City today!  Richard and I saw Les Miz a week ago Friday and enjoyed it very much.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2007, 06:24:47 AM »

Oops - guess I just missed DR Vixmom.

DH Richard left the house at 6am today to meet his church group for their trip to North Carolina.  It's my day off, so I'm going to do errands and visit my mother.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2007, 06:30:56 AM »

I think I saw Brain's auditions listed as July 17.  I don't see Such Good Friends' auditions listed anywhere, and this makes me nervous.

The massive revisions continue apace.  And, it seems, I need to take a moment to say goodbye to a few songs:

"A Song That Shows Range" was the funniest song in the show, but it was always kind of shoe-horned in there.  Can't give the leading lady three big solos in a row.  And the song is a lie.  She's good reason to lie, but one can't be certain the audience will understand it's a lie.  R.I.P.

"My Dad" was the catchiest song in the show, and, rare for me, related to a childhood experience of mine.  It was a duet for two twelve-year-old boys, but, it seems, the story is better served without two boys, so they and their duet are gone.

"A Cat May Look at a King" was the shortest song in the show.  And yet, not worth the time it took to sing it.

"Magic Time" was the prettiest song in the show.  Twinkly, like Twilight Time, with Ellington-esque jazz harmonies and a very specific lyric about the love of performing.  Show, don't tell.  It and its reprise, vamoose.

"The Day That You Return" was the period (WW2) love song the audience might have remembered fondly.  If they'd heard it.  I was going to have a newsreel announcer speak over it.  He's still in; the song ain't.

"Grown-Ups," the most moving song in the show, I rewrote about five times.  Never got it right.  A father singing to his son seemed a potent idea, but it makes the son static, and plot changes have removed the reason for singing it in the first place.  A swing and a miss.

The "My Dad" reprise, sung by the heel, is going to be replaced with a title song reprise, sung by the hero.

"A Lovely Day for a Stroll" may be re-tooled into a male duet.  It involved a wronged man, his family, and the community at large.  We no longer have his family, and the cast size is too small to present that community.  I always worried that going from a Cmaj7 to an F7 didn't sound 1950s enough.  Have to pull the plug on this one.

"Jolly Little Song" was the tune no one could get out of their head.  But they wanted to.  Boy, did they want to.

"Things That Danny Did" was a legitimate comedy song coming in the midst of a tragic situation.  Writing this, last fall, was like making that last reach that leads you to the top of the mountain.  Helped me finish the draft that so many people have flipped over.  I'll miss it.

And, finally, the "Finale" was always too explicit and didactic.  I obviously stole the final image from Camelot, but without those boys, I'll have to come up with something different.

Goodbye, good songs.  At moments like these, it's helpful to remember that Jones & Schmidt wrote over 100 songs for 110 in the Shade.  And they're good: We know this because BK recorded a lot of them for the Lost In Boston series.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

singdaw

« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2007, 06:47:03 AM »

DR Noel, those sound like pretty major overhauls!  ***RE-WRITE VIBES*** to you!

singdaw

« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2007, 06:48:56 AM »

Welcome back, DR FJL!!  And thanks for your theatre reviews.

DR Matt H - nice pool photos!

DR td, Dixie Bell is adorable!  As is Bosco, DR MBarnum, and the 4+ kitties, DR Edisaurus.  Thanks to all DRs for sharing their wonderful pet photos.

singdaw

« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2007, 06:49:59 AM »

Yesterday, DR FJL wrote:
We credit Jose.

Does not compute.

singdaw

« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2007, 06:51:32 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]***all-around excellent vibes & xylophones***[/color][/size][/move]
to bk this week!!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2007, 06:54:24 AM »

Good morning, all!  I slept late, had a phone call from my wonderful sister-in-law Jo about dad's estate, cleaned the bathroom, and started the laundry. The majority of the day will be work on Mr Spirtas' charts. I finished the huge movie medley last night, then finished reading Ruth Gordon's wonderful autobio MY SIDE.  I've got three more of her books to read, so I have to decide which one to begin next.

TOD:
Best:
  Manchurian Candidate
  Come blow your horn
  Can-Can
  High Society

Least Favorite:
  Guys and Dolls
  On the Town
  Pal Joey

I love his recordings from the 1940s and early 50s, especially "Saturday Night Is The Loneliest Night  of the Week."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2007, 07:06:57 AM »

Thanks to all for your good wishes and travel vibes over the past week.

Yesterday's trip home was fine, except for a sudden storm with wind shears that kept us grounded for about 45 minutes after we had already left the gate.  I then had to do an heroic dash from one end of O'Hare to the other to make my connection, which I did - with a few minutes to spare, even!  But there was perspiration - oh yes, there was perspiration!  Anyway, it is good to be home.

Miss Karen

« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2007, 07:31:08 AM »

DR Noel, those sound like pretty major overhauls!  ***RE-WRITE VIBES*** to you!

DITTO! Plus "May You Find the Such Good Friends NYMF Casting Call Posting" Vibes and "Huge Turnout for Said Casting Call" Vibes

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2007, 07:34:43 AM »

Good Morning!

Another hot day with a chance of showers. Due to the terrible downpour we had late Saturday, I didn't get the frass mowed this weekend, so it'll have to be at some point this week.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Miss Karen

« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2007, 07:36:23 AM »

Welcome back, DR FJL!!  And thanks for your theatre reviews.

DR Matt H - nice pool photos!

DR td, Dixie Bell is adorable!  As is Bosco, DR MBarnum, and the 4+ kitties, DR Edisaurus.  Thanks to all DRs for sharing their wonderful pet photos.

DITTO! (Dingdaw gets up earlier than me....)  I love Photo Days at HHWay! I already said that but it bares/bears repeating ...

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2007, 07:38:43 AM »

If I had had my camera at the pool on Saturday, there was the cutest little chipmunk running around. Sad to say, my friend Jeff had already packed his camera away, and he missed getting any shots of it.

singdaw

« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2007, 07:40:16 AM »

it bares...repeating ...

That's the title of my next exposé...

Bares Repeating!

;)

singdaw

« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2007, 07:43:27 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2007, 07:43:34 AM »

My favorite SInatra on film is his MGM period because he was actually acting someone who wasn't remotely like himself: shy with women, etc.

So, ON THE TOWN and TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME are favorites. I love his vocal for "Time After Time," one of my all-time favorite songs from IT HAPPENED IN BROOKLYN.

As for the later Sinatra, I do enjoy him in SOME CAME RUNNING, THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, and THE DETECTIVE.

I loathe him in CAN-CAN, totally miscast and playing it as a hipster in that period of time, ugh! Louis Jourdan should have played Sinatra's part. And I'm delighted he walked off of CAROUSEL. I much prefer Gordon MacRae.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: July 09, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »

If I had had my camera at the pool on Saturday, there was the cutest little chipmunk running around.

DR MBarnum was in in the Carolinas this weekend and didn't tell us?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Miss Karen

« Reply #87 on: July 09, 2007, 07:46:28 AM »

TOD:
Best:
  Manchurian Candidate
  Come blow your horn
  Can-Can
  High Society

Least Favorite:
  Guys and Dolls
  On the Town
  Pal Joey

Ditto -- I know, Mz Karen is most unoriginal/being a copy-cat this morning.  I'm not a big fan of FS as an actor, but if forced to choose, my B/W picks would pretty much follow DR ELmo's ... I like some of his music, but out of the Rat Pack, I liked Dean Martin more...so I'd put down cash for Dino, Como, or Bing before Old Blue Eyes ...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 07:46:46 AM by Miss Karen »

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: July 09, 2007, 07:46:57 AM »

I'll finish WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION today and probably watch MURDER SHE WROTE and JESSE JAMES.

I'm supposed to be getting Criterion's LES ENFANTS TERRIBLES in the mail today, but I'm not counting on it arriving. My mail delivery is always very erratic after a mail holiday.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: July 09, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »

DR MBarnum was in in the Carolinas this weekend and didn't tell us?

DR MBarnum is slim and trim to be sure, but even HE isn't THAT small. ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up