Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: BUFFALO WINGS  (Read 38410 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BUFFALO WINGS
« on: July 17, 2007, 12:06:19 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes flew on buffalo wings, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're eating cow wings right now, then they'll be home.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 12:06:03 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BUFFALO WINGS
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 12:07:54 AM »

And the word of the day is: PLEOCHROIC!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 12:19:40 AM »

We had five count them five winners in our Unseemly Trivia Contest.  Here was the question:  

There were a LOT of stars on Broadway in this particular season - they were in huge flops and big hits, but they were everywhere.  In this flop, the star was coming off two huge motion picture roles in two huge motion picture hits.  The star had already won an Academy Award, and would be nominated several times thereafter, including the two huge motion picture hits.  This play was based on a novel by a writer who would pen a book that would be turned into a hugely popular film a few years later.  It was directed by someone better known for film.  Said director had, a few years prior, directed a classic motion picture that would be turned into a musical.  Alongside the star, were several other interesting cast members.  One of them would go on to co-star in a classic new play just a couple of years later, and another would go on to co-star in the film version of the classic play.  Another would go on to star in a hugely successful TV series, in fact, two of them.  And in the play was another cast member (who also understudied the star) who would go on to direct a very successful Broadway play.  

So

Name the play and the author of the novel it was based on, and the classic motion picture that would be made from another novel by the author.

Name the play's star, and the two hugely successful film roles done just prior to this play.

Name the director, the classic film the director made, and the musical that was made from it.

Name the co-star who would go on to appear in a classic new play and the co-star who would go on to appear in the film version of the classic new play.

Name the co-star who would go on to do two TV series, and name the series and what they had in common.

Name the person who understudied the star and name the Broadway hit the person would direct.

And here are the answers:

Face Of A Hero/Pierre Boulle/Planet Of The Apes (or Monkey Planet in the UK)

Jack Lemmon/Some Like It Hot/The Apartment

Alexander MacKendrick/Sweet Smell Of Success/Sweet Smell Of Success

George Grizzard/Sandy Dennis/Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf

Ed Asner/The Mary Tyler Moore Show/Lou Grant (he played the same character in both shows)

Ed Sherin/The Great White Hope

And there you have it.  Our High Winners were Jrand, JMK, Michael Shayne, FJL and Dan-the-Man.  I put all the names into our Electronic Hat, which randomly chose our Highest Winner - Michael Shayne.  So, if he will send his address he will receive a sparkling prize.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 12:33:40 AM »

TOD:

Favorite Appetizers :

Steamed Shrimp
Pate
Rumaki
Almost any cheese dip mixture (meaning no Cheese Whiz or Velveeta!)

And if we're including restaurant style:

Oysters Rockefeller
Beef Tartare

Least Favorite

Well, since you asked - Buffalo Wings! Chicken wings belong in a stock pot or the garbage.

I am learning to like mussels, but calamari and I still aren't good friends.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 12:44:22 AM »

Harry Potter book deliveries:

Amazon has promised:

If you qualified for guaranteed Release-Date Delivery, in the unlikely event that you don't receive it on Saturday, July 21, we'll refund the cost of the book.

Most deliveries will be made by UPS or the U.S. Postal Service, either with your regular mail delivery or in a special, later delivery. All copies that qualified for Release-Date Delivery should be delivered by 7:00 p.m. in your time zone.

Borders and B&N have similar commitments.

der Brucer

My guess is Woody will still buy a copy at his store, so we'll have two - no fighting over whose turn.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 12:50:34 AM »

And the word of the day is: PLEOCHROIC!

Wasn't he Terpsichore's uncle?

der Brucer

singdaw

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 01:25:45 AM »

*SPOILER-FREE* article in today's NY Times about Jim Dale and his audio recording of all the Potter books here.

singdaw

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 01:49:17 AM »

DR JRand56 - LOVE the shot of Blue Moon!   :)   Thanks-

singdaw

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 01:49:52 AM »

***HIRING VIBES***
to DR Cillaliz

singdaw

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 01:54:16 AM »

Wikipedia offers this background on Buffalo wings:

Buffalo wings, wings, or chicken wings are chicken wing sections (called flats and drums), deep fried, and coated in sauce. Although many variations on this sauce exist, the standard Buffalo sauce is composed of only five ingredients: cayenne pepper sauce, white vinegar, butter, salt, and garlic. When using a prepared hot sauce of vinegar and cayenne pepper, the recipe is simply a mixture of hot sauce and melted butter. Most wings are prepared without breading, although this style is not exclusive. Buffalo wings are named after the city of Buffalo, New York where they originated, and the appellation "buffalo" is now commonly applied to foodstuffs other than wings that are seasoned with the sauce or close variations on it.

In the Southern United States, wings are often called hot wings, and have local variations in how they are cooked.

singdaw

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 02:06:32 AM »

GYPSY video clips HERE!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 02:42:44 AM »

...And then Uncle Jojo fell asleep on the couch...

OH!...

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... etc., etc., etc.  (ah, a The King & I reference)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 02:45:33 AM »

And since my brother, Mike, had to go to work today, he went ahead and left a little while ago to make the trek back up to DC.  And, then apparently, my parents will be heading back up to Fairfax for the day too with their grandchildren in tow.  And the dogs, Iki and Manchita, will be staying here with me.  But then everyone will be heading back down here sometime tonight.  Or something like that.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 02:58:01 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

The one finger food/appetizer I can never resist is...

Deviled Eggs!

-Even when they're not that good, they still manage to be consumable.  ;)

My father used to make rumaki for parties when I was growing up, which is probably where my love for chicken livers and water chestnuts came from.  I also like the bacon-wrapped oysters variation.

Unlike DR DerBrucer, I like calamari.  Alas, it's high in protein, but loaded with cholesterol.  And even though (breaded and deep-) fried is usually what's found on the menu, if I can find it broiled, I like it that way too.  The cook at the now-closed Stella's in Richmond would make it special for me from time to time.  Just a very simple prep: sliced squid, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano - all placed on a "hot plate", then put under the broiler.

And as much as like potatoes - especially french fries - I usually opt for onion rings if I can.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 02:59:28 AM »

Hmm... I wonder what's for breakfast here...  I may just head out for a bit and go to The Dairy Bar for breakfast... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 03:28:05 AM »

...And now I'm back from walking the dogs.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 03:51:05 AM »

Calling DR Ben? Calling DR elmore?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 04:03:17 AM »

I spy me a DR elmore!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2007, 04:17:35 AM »

Good Morning J and L

Ben

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2007, 04:25:46 AM »

The big bowl must be washed. I also must get back into the empty office and finish recording the narration for a Power Point presentation which is being turned into a "podcast" I worked on it last week but then spoke to someone who knows more about Power Point than me. He suggested embedding the narration into the PP slides. It works better than the other available ways including having a separate mp3 file which runs at the same time as PP or attaching a sound clip to the PP file. None of them are perfect but embedded narration seems to work best. This all came about because we seem to get at least one new staff member each year and then we have to present a workshop for them. It's a two part presentation and I do Part II. My presentation is organized, scripted and on PP. It's easy to understand and accessible so I am able to move it to a new "media" format. Now when a new staff member is hired that person can sit at a desk, fire up the computer, put in earphones and watch the presentation at his or her leisure. I don't know what they will do about Part I because (IMHO) it's a mess. It's done by a staff member who considers himself a "cool, cutting edge" downtown performance artist. He can barely speak in complete sentences and his presentation style is embarrasing. He also has little to no grasp of what he's supposed to be presenting or how it should be presented. I don't see his part of the presentation ever moving over to a new media format. Oh, well. The best thing about it all, is that compared to him, I look like a genius for coming up with this idea and making it work  ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 05:43:33 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2007, 04:26:15 AM »

Good morning to Amy.

And now I must go wash my bowl.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2007, 04:30:27 AM »

Good Morning, Amy.  Good Morning, Ben.  Good Morning, Larry.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2007, 04:30:56 AM »

And now I have some Uncle Jojo duties to attend to...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2007, 04:31:28 AM »

The one finger food/appetizer I can never resist is...

Deviled Eggs!

-Even when they're not that good, they still manage to be consumable.  ;)

I like deviled eggs, too. The chef at work made some last month that people are still talking about. They were the best I'd ever had in my life. (And I have consumed many  deviled egg in my time!) Really, they were like crack. I could have eaten a whole plate of them but stopped at just two.

Someone asked him what he added to the standard recipie. He said he used dry mustand and some parmesan cheese, but I think there's more to it than that!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 04:31:47 AM »

Good morning, Jose!

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2007, 04:32:18 AM »

Good morning, all! And a special hello to DRs Jose and Ben.  I'm halfway through Kevin Spirtas' final chart, and I'll work a bit on it before I leave.  Today, I spend my time at the Actor's Equity Building in EPA calls for "The Brain From Planet X." I like auditions, so I'm looking forward to it.

I have nothing else to report for the nonce.

TOD:
  deviled eggs
  swedish meatballs (for DR MBarnum)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 04:33:08 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2007, 04:32:24 AM »

Good morning, Larry & Ben!

Edisaurus

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2007, 04:34:21 AM »

Good morning, all! And a special hello to DRs Jose and Ben.

What am I, chopped liver?

Hey, wait. That's another of my favorite finger foods. (Well, on a cracker, that is!)

Edisaurus

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2007, 04:36:27 AM »

Today, I spend my time at the Actor's Equity Building in EPA calls for "The Brain From Planet X." I like auditions, so I'm looking forward to it.

So these are BRAIN auditions, but without bk?

I don't know from EPA calls. I only know about the Environmental Protection Agency!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2007, 04:41:17 AM »

Good Morning Amy, Larry, Ben and Jose!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16   Go Up