Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: BRYLCREEM  (Read 27848 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:BRYLCREEM
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2007, 09:03:25 AM »

And speaking of being gratuitous, I let myself sleep in a bit this morning.  We got a little bit of rain last night up here in Harlem, and it cooled down things nicely.  And the apartment still feels cool right now, so that's nice.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2007, 09:04:52 AM »

DR Jose: Are you at ACL today?

I am not.  I'm not back on until next weekend.  However, I've already made arrangement to watch the show tomorrow.  :)

But I'll be heading into midtown later just because I don't want to spend all day in the apartment, so... Dinner? Movie?  Call me.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2007, 09:11:39 AM »

OH!

While walking around last night, I happened to run into a friend of mine, the friend who worked out the great deal for DR Jason and I to go on the cruise last fall.  Well, there's another cruise coming up in September... It's not an almost-freebie like last time, but it's a pretty good deal.  And it's a great itinerary: start in Vancouver, then down the West Coast with stops here and there, and ending up down in San Diego.  It's a two-week cruise, and, right now, it fits in with my work schedule.  However, it also overlaps with all the NYMF and HHW gatherings.  So... I'm supposed to get the details sometime this weekend, and I guess I'll just go from there.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 09:12:27 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2007, 09:13:21 AM »

I was all set to sleep in and there's no doubt I could have slept until ten save for the fact that I forgot that she of the Evil Eye was coming - I realized it when the doorbell rang at nine and woke me out of a sound sleep.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2007, 09:26:31 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Well, I remember Brylcreem very well since my dad used it for years - then he switched to the VO5 stuff.  I remember trying it out a few times, and I remember just how sticky and greasy it made my hair - and with my type of hair, I needed more than a little dab.  And there was that Brylcreem smell too which is something I could never really put my finger - or nose - on, but it was very distinct, very  Brylcreem-ish.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2007, 09:26:49 AM »

Still no trivia luck.  I may have to put it aside until tomorrow.  Has anyone gotten it yet?

Cillaliz

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2007, 09:27:35 AM »

I remember the morning my dad grabbed the Brylcream tube instead of the toothpaste and didn't realize until it was too late...

Cillaliz

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2007, 09:28:46 AM »

By 10:00 Am it was already miserable outside. Very humid...

Cillaliz

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2007, 09:29:55 AM »

you can take Salem out of the counrty, but you can't take the country out of Salem

FJL

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2007, 09:31:42 AM »

Speaking of catchy jingles, a story from my youth which bears repeating, about my Mom being concerned about her teenage son:  Gimbel's Department Store was running a commercial with the very lively, very exciting theme song "Gimbel's is getting better every day."  My Mom came running into the room when she first heard that commercial shouting "What's that commercial for?  Should we get some of that stuff for you?"  I was very confused, until she said she was sure they were singing "Pimples are getting better every day."

FJL

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2007, 09:33:11 AM »

I told that story back when "Hard Out Here for a Pimp" won the Oscar, but if you haven't heard it,  it's new to you.  :)

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2007, 10:00:33 AM »

Back from the hairdresser's with something I have not had for a long while - curly hair.  I keep telling my DH and my DS that it will calm down after several washes.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2007, 10:01:55 AM »

DR FJL - I believe that's from The Rocky Horrow Show.  I think.

Either that, or he did the Mary Martin role in One Touch of Venus.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2007, 10:03:57 AM »

Still no trivia luck.  I may have to put it aside until tomorrow.  Has anyone gotten it yet?

I've exhausted my usual research tools.  There's no obvious "hook" this time, which I'm sure the devious BK did on purpose.  However, and I've been meaning to mention this before, does anyone else keep turning up the same names when researching these things?  It gets hilarious after a while.  Today's ubiquitous names were (IIRC--may have them wrong) Guthrie McClintic (or something like that) and, my new favorite, Speed Lamkin.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 10:10:45 AM by JMK »

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2007, 10:28:17 AM »

Actual headline in today's Oregonian department:

[move=left,scroll,10,transparent,100%]
[size=10]SURGEONS WILL REPLACE BATTERY INSIDE CHENEY[/size]
[/move]

The mind would boggle if it weren't already pre-boggled by the past 6 years.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 10:29:07 AM by JMK »

Julie

« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2007, 10:44:12 AM »

Is that why he keeps going and going and going??

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2007, 10:52:13 AM »

OH!  I was just sent/heard/read this news:

Rose's Turn To Hear Final Tune

I just walked by the place on Wednesday with DR Jason.  And there were no signs about it closing.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Julie

« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2007, 11:11:04 AM »

Jose - Rose's Turn sadly closed about a week ago, to make room for what the West Village desperately needed - another real estate office.  There was only about a week's notice that it would close.  A number of the former staff members are going to be joining the newly renovated piano bar at RUBY FRUIT on Hudson Street.

It's a terribly sad loss to the cabaret community, following so closely on the heels of the recent closings of Danny's Skylight Room and Helen's.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2007, 11:20:38 AM »

Jose - Rose's Turn sadly closed about a week ago, to make room for what the West Village desperately needed - another real estate office.  There was only about a week's notice that it would close.  A number of the former staff members are going to be joining the newly renovated piano bar at RUBY FRUIT on Hudson Street.

It's a terribly sad loss to the cabaret community, following so closely on the heels of the recent closings of Danny's Skylight Room and Helen's.

Ah, maybe that explains the people moving sound equipment that we saw.  I thought they were moving it in not moving it out.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2007, 11:22:17 AM »

And Helen's closed too?!?!?!??!

When did that happen?!?!?!  Now I know why there's been something "missing" when I walk through Chelsea. :(

Of course, I still miss 88's.  I made my NYC Cabaret debut there in the upstairs room playing for a friend.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2007, 11:23:07 AM »

Well... Time to head out for a bit and sulk over the demise of Helen's and Rose's Turn.  Maybe some Grom gelato will help.  ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2007, 11:24:13 AM »

-Oh, and just read the article a little more closely... Rose's Turn did close on the 22nd.  Ah, well.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2007, 11:26:38 AM »

Well... Time to head out for a bit and sulk over the demise of Helen's and Rose's Turn.  Maybe some Grom gelato will help.  ;)

Laters...

DR Jose - it's probably too warm in NYC for a sweatshirt, but I'd be glad to lend you mine that says, "There's nothing wrong with me that a little ice cream won't help."
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2007, 11:39:19 AM »

Hello, HHW!

Marvelous Matt is here, fixing the shower plumbing. You know, you start with a list. You never remember everything that should go on the list. But then, as you work the list, MORE THINGS BREAK!! UNFAIR!!  He and I are trying to whittle the list down. We're making progress. He's doing fine, but I'm exhausted.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2007, 11:43:42 AM »

HAVE A LOVELY VACATION, DR GINNY!

JMK

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2007, 11:51:01 AM »

I think I am officially giving up on the Trivia question.  It's all yours, FJL.  :)

Ginny

« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2007, 11:56:11 AM »

HAVE A LOVELY VACATION, DR GINNY!

Thank you, DR Jeanne!  The Monday after we get back, the Maytag repairman is due here to fix both our washer (works, but leaks) and our stove.  The oven element blew just as DH Richard was putting meat loaf in for our dinner the other night.  When I got home from work, he told me I'd missed the visit from an ambulance, a pumper, a hook & ladder, and the assistant fire chief (a former neighbor).  The meat loaf is now in the freezer, waiting to be baked until the oven is repaired.

Ginny

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2007, 11:57:12 AM »

Oh, and we went out for dinner Wednesday evening  ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2007, 12:00:59 PM »

DR Ginny - So.. Where's the pic of the new 'do? :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2007, 12:01:23 PM »

DR Jeanne - At least you have a list.  :-\  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up