Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BALL PEEN HAMMER  (Read 35504 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE BALL PEEN HAMMER
« on: August 04, 2007, 12:06:11 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes hammered home their points, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're disturbed by the words ball peen and are seeking therapy.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 10:18:07 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE BALL PEEN HAMMER
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 12:08:39 AM »

And the word of the day is: EMPTOR!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 12:10:38 AM »

Yes, I have an Unseemly Trivia Question - undoubtedly it won't fool the likes of our dear readers, but here it is, nonetheless:

It was one of the most extraordinary theatrical seasons ever – producing classic plays and musicals.  In this season, no less than fourteen plays and musicals would eventually be turned into motion pictures.  And, one play was actually adapted from a novel which had, just a couple of years earlier, been turned into a hugely popular film, a film that was ultimately remade two times.  One of the remakes had a different title than the original film, and the other retained the title of the original film.  However, the title of the original novel was completely different to all the film versions, while the title of the play was completely different than all of the above.  Two other plays had incidental music by famous theater music composers.  Of the musicals, only one musical’s star would go on to repeat their performance in the film version.  One play with two high-wattage stars would come to the screen with two completely different high-wattage stars.  

So – the following questions all have to do with plays and musicals turned into films:

Name the fourteen plays that became films.

Name the play adapted from a novel that had, just a couple of years earlier, been turned into a hugely popular film.  Name the original film, name the different title of one of its remakes, and name the novel’s title.

Name the two plays that had incidental music by two famous theater music composers and name the composers.

Name the musical and the star who was the only one that season to repeat their role in the film version.

Name the play with two high-wattage stars and name the two high-wattage stars who eventually did the film version.

Remember, do not post your answers to the site, send them to me at bruce@haineshisway.com.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 12:11:23 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 12:13:16 AM »

Welcome fourteen GUESTS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 12:25:27 AM »

Make that eighteen GUESTS.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 01:32:28 AM »

I should be in bed. ::) Anyway, here are some of my favorite Walter Matthau Movies:

The Bad News Bears
First Monday in October
Hello, Dolly!
Hopscotch
House Calls
The Odd Couple
The Sunshine Boys
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 01:33:01 AM »

Good night. 8)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 01:42:34 AM »

The Atlantic Monthly | March 1994

TROUBLED BRIDGES

The Federal Highway Administration oversees the inspection of all of the country's 575,413 bridges, and it classifies almost 20 percent of them as "structurally deficient." A structurally deficient bridge is not necessarily in danger of imminent collapse; for example, the category includes many bridges that are still safe but have vehicle-weight restrictions.

More than 80 percent of all U.S. bridges are located east of the geographic midpoint between the coasts. The skewed distribution is due in part to the way the Midwest and Great Plains states were settled--in the so-called "township-and-range" pattern, which resulted in the laying down of land parcels and roadways in evenly spaced grids; in order to maintain this even spacing, many bridges had to be built over small waterways. Iowa, for example contains more bridges than Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming combined.

The fact that the nation's midsection has the highest concentration of bridges is closely related to why, as shown on the map above, a large percentage of the region's bridges are structurally deficient. Many of the country's bridges are owned by counties or other small jurisdictions; in the Midwest, where there are large numbers of rural counties with many bridges and few people, bridges have become a serious financial liability. Because the federal government does not normally fund preventive maintenance, these jurisdictions sometimes find it cost-effective to let their bridges deteriorate to levels at which they are eligible for federal repair or replacement funds.

The percentage of structurally deficient bridges should increase in the next ten years, in large part because tens of thousands of bridges built on the interstate highways during the boom years following the Second World War will soon be in need of major repairs. The Secretary of Transportation estimates that federal, state, and local governments will need to increase their yearly funding by almost 40 percent to meet the surging need for bridge rehabilitation.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 05:17:46 AM »

TOTD:
Hopscotch
The Odd Couple

and the one people like to dislike:

The Front Page.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 05:37:14 AM »

Good morning Mr Piano.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 05:38:51 AM »

Good Morning, Mr. ofov.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 05:39:37 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I probably should have gotten out of bed about a half hour earlier, but still, no rush to head down to midtown.  Yet.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 05:40:37 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...  The only two that come to mind right now are:

"The Bad News Bears"
"The Odd Couple"

I know there are others, I'm just not used to having to think at 8:34AM.  On a Saturday.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 05:41:59 AM »

And after reading the Unseemly Trivia Question, I think I actually may submit an answer this week.  -Since I think I actually researched that particular theatrical season at one point and time.  We shall see.   :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 05:44:33 AM »

And before I forget...

bk - I have the times for next week, but not the place.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 05:46:09 AM »

OK - And now I must get ready to go to "Toy Story" land.  -Which is actually pretty cool, since I get to play "You've Got A Friend In Me" a couple of time today.  -Which I'm sure DR edisaurus and other DRs would appreciate.  :)

Well...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 05:50:13 AM »

Yeh!  Randy Newman.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 05:50:39 AM »

Good morning DR FJL.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 05:51:29 AM »

and goodnight.
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2007, 06:07:30 AM »

TOD

I rather like his TV work:

An Incident in Baltimore

Incident in a Small Town

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2007, 06:15:43 AM »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2007, 07:04:50 AM »

Good morning!

I finally got the front yard mowed. It was relatively cool at 7 a.m. (but it didn't feel cool after I finished), so I got it done. Now, if the rain will hold off for a few days, I might get two weeks out of this mowing before I have to do it again.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 07:06:29 AM »

Favorite Walter Matthau movies:

THE SUNSHINE BOYS

THE ODD COUPLE

CHARADE

HELLO, DOLLY!

THE FORTUNE COOKIE

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 07:07:18 AM »

And I agree with you, DR Tom: the pacing of Wilder THE FRONT PAGE may be sluggish, but Matthau is perfectly cast and is the best thing in the movie.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007, 07:08:31 AM »

I'll finish up the bonus features on THE LOOKOUT DVD today, and then tonight, I'll do ROVING MARS on Blu-ray and THE TOAST OF NEW ORLEANS.

FJL

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2007, 07:08:42 AM »

Still trying to find the hook into the trivia question.  No luck so far.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2007, 07:10:25 AM »

There's a new sci-fi anthology series coming on ABC tonight at 10 p.m. It's been ready for a year, but ABC was unhappy with some of the episodes and put it on the shelf. Now, they're burning off the four remaining episodes they liked this month. I do plan to check it out. SInce it's an anthology, there's no plot to keep up with week by week, so it should be worth watching.

Julie

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2007, 07:23:14 AM »

The Atlantic Monthly | March 1994

der Brucer

Oh dear.  Are New Yorkers playing red state blue state again?
This looks just frightful.
I blame Jose.

Danise

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2007, 07:23:29 AM »

Hi Folks!

Long time no see, huh?   I'm still kicking but confess that some days are better then others.

Well, they finely came out with the list of position that will be effected by the lay off.  My title isn't on it--thank goodness!!  Now before we get all excited about that you have to remember that is only for now.  

Depending on how people vote in January, there could be even deeper cuts and many, many, many more lay offs/firings.  And next time we won't have a the vacant positions to cushion the blow.  

This time around the grand total of jobs lost were well over the four hundred mark.  That there were "only" 130 bodys lost was only due to the number of vacant positons.  Lord help us all come January.

Anyway, life goes on.  I can breath for a little while but I can't tell you how many nights I couldn't sleep and lay trembling in my bed because I was so scared.  I guess I'll really be a basket case come January.

I've been trying to keep myself busy.  I painted Mom's room, the hall and the bathroom.  I had to take a weekend or two off before I go on with the living room.  I'm thinking it will take two weekends to do that room.  I plan on doing the ceiling and two walls one weekend then the ceiling again (I'm thinking twice because of the smoke damage from the fire I told you about a couple years back) and the last two walls.  

I've gotten rid of the old gas tanks in the back yard and got rid of the old recliner in the living room.  I then bought a new one (to me).  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Julie

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2007, 07:24:16 AM »

And good morning to everyone!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 07:24:35 AM by Julie »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up