Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: A PLETHORA OF PILES  (Read 84911 times)

Ben

Re:A PLETHORA OF PILES
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2007, 07:01:16 AM »

And now it's time for a page turn.

Ben

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2007, 07:02:15 AM »

I'm listening to another BBC Showtunes show called "Songs from the Shows" It's on BBC Tees (FKA BBC Radio Cleveland). They are playing Does He Like Me? from the 1994 London revival of She Loves Me.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 07:04:56 AM by Ben »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2007, 07:04:40 AM »

Has anyone noticed that Los Angeles is LA and New York is NY, but no other states that I can think of speak of themselves in this way. Do new yorkers commonly  refer to their state as NY? Or is that just the lazy Los Angelian who does so?
Los Angeles is just a state of mind, not a real state.  LA refers to Louisiana.

As a rule, residents of New York City ignore the rest of the state of New York, which irks the residents of the rest of the state no end.  My mother, who was from Syracuse, and a friend of mine named Frank, who is from Buffalo, would have/will gladly attest to this.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2007, 07:26:53 AM »

La dee DAH dee dah dah!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2007, 07:27:26 AM »

Question for ASK BK day?

What is your favorite Rock and Roll movie?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2007, 07:31:41 AM »

Good morning!

It was actually cool outside this morning when I went to get the newspaper! The forecast says Saturday and Sunday will be cool enough in the morning to turn off the A/C and open up the windows and have the attic fan cool down the house. Hooray!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2007, 07:34:00 AM »

Looking forward to seeing TWO SISTERS FROM BOSTON this afternoon. Supposedly it was the film that convinced MGM executives that June Allyson had a star career ahead of her. I remember seeing it for the first (and only ) time that her work was pleasant but not eart-shaking. I'll be curious to see it again today.

singdaw

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2007, 07:35:31 AM »

I was playing with the amazing piece of software this morning called "The Amazing Slow-Downer."  It came with a set of CDs from Hal Leonard containing show tune accompaniments [piano only].  I suppose for practicing for auditions or whatever.

Anyway, this software allows you to control the tempo of the music  [speeding up the song or slowing it down] and the pitch [transposing up or down by half steps], independently of each other!!  It's really a cool, fun toy.  Though it can also make you sea sick.

But:  definitely NOT a replacement or substitute for an intelligent, talented live accompanist.

:)

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: August 15, 2007, 07:35:45 AM »

I've got the box set of UGLY BETTY coming in (probably Friday), so I know a great part of the weekend will be given over to watching all of its first season episodes again (which will be a pleasure since I love the show so much). I haven't watched the reruns at all this summer, so it'll be nice to get back into the world of BETTY before the new season begins in September.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: August 15, 2007, 07:37:29 AM »

I was playing with the amazing piece of software this morning called "The Amazing Slow-Downer."  It came with a set of CDs from Hal Leonard containing show tune accompaniments [piano only].  I suppose for practicing for auditions or whatever.

Anyway, this software allows you to control the tempo of the music  [speeding up the song or slowing it down] and the pitch [transposing up or down by half steps], independently of each other!!  It's really a cool, fun toy.  Though it can also make you sea sick.

But:  definitely NOT a replacement or substitute for an intelligent, talented live accompanist.

:)

That does sound like a fun toy. I have a machine that takes out the vocal tracks on stereo records and can move keys up or down in half steps (by slowing or speeding up the music, of course). This sounds like a great advance on that.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: August 15, 2007, 07:38:03 AM »

Congratulations on DR FJL on winning the Trivia prize this week!

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2007, 07:38:59 AM »

Thank you, DR derBrucer, for finding the names of the two SWAT team actors in this week's THE CLOSER. I do hope we see them again some day.

singdaw

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2007, 07:41:44 AM »

a plethora of piles

singdaw

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2007, 07:43:06 AM »

DR FJL is High Winner?

I thought it said High Whiner...

;)

CONGRATULATIONS, DR FJL!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 07:48:31 AM by singdaw »

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2007, 07:43:20 AM »

As for ROME, it's not much use as history, but for attention-grabbing melodrama, it's hard to top. I found it fascinating to watch.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2007, 07:50:01 AM »

I took one of my cats (my favorite, I'm sorry I have to admit it!) to the vet yesterday. He has been throwing up bile for the last 2 days but otherwise seems fine.

And here I was munching my bacon/egg on sourdough toast sandwich when out of nowhere!!!

Now, I ask you.....where does one begin to start the discussion about "human" bile?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2007, 07:50:41 AM »

DR edisaurus - You're welcome.  When my book comes out, then I can start naming names.  ;)

I hope you're taking LOTS of notes!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2007, 07:52:05 AM »

Show tonight.

Hopefully there will be an audience.  Still working on my first scene of THE SUNSHINE BOYS.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2007, 07:52:41 AM »

There's also a GIRL GANG show in NYMF.  I wonder if they grow up into ANGRY HOUSEWIVES.

;D

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2007, 07:57:04 AM »

Oh, yes, good morning.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2007, 07:57:49 AM »

I have little to report. Nothing, actually.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »

I do love DR TOMOVOZ's next-door neighbor. I'd take him?/her? anyday over my next-door neighbor.

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2007, 07:59:11 AM »

Question for ASK BK day?

What is your favorite Rock and Roll movie?

I used to think it was DON'T KNOCK THE TWIST...but after watching it again upon it's DVD release it is now much lowever on my favorites list. THE BIG BEAT, TWIST AROUND THE CLOCK, and ROCK AROUND THE CLOCK are all up towards the top now.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2007, 07:59:53 AM »

My next-door neighbor puts the DING in DINGALING.

singdaw

« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2007, 08:01:32 AM »

My next-door neighbor puts the DING in DINGALING.

Did someone call?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2007, 08:05:17 AM »

There I was, aware of having been snoozing nicely, and suddenly finding myself awake and wondering why it was so-o-o "silent" and what it could have been that woke me....when a 3.4 quake rattled my cage.

At 12:13 a.m., mind you.

I'd give a pretty to know just what "alarm" was set off inside my skull to awaken me prior to the quake.   (Maybe it was the ghost of Miss Vickie?!)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2007, 08:07:55 AM »

Is anybody here still watching the show ON THE LOT?

I'm curious who you think should win.

Based on the 2 movies shown last night i would definitely choose adam.  The 2 movies shown (dough boy and army man) were probably my 2 favorite movies of the season.

I think the other 2 guys did not make the right choices with their movies last night.  While i loved "sweet" (the anniversary movie) i did not think the eternal waters was that great.  And i did not think the eye ball movie or the office in a dress were the best from that director.

I have no idea who will win. but based on their films last night i was VERY surprised that neither of the judges thought adam should win.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2007, 08:12:06 AM »

Things have been LOONY over to the Film Score Monthly Messageboard...especially with a very strange discussion perpetrated by someone I thought ought to be better at communicating on the internet.

It seems this person is given to posturing his own misgivings about some things into terms that other readers find a bit insulting.  When they challenge him he gets all defensive and declares he's being persecuted, etc.

He misuses words, such as "moral" and "ethical", in ways that boggle the mind.  He lectures people as to how they should behave.  Apparently no one should ever complain about any unsatisfactory commercial transaction out of RESPECT for the seller.

He also dislikes a certain film and its score to the effect that he's launched a campaign to thoroughly denigrate it and the composer who wrote it.

And when folks state their serious doubts about his research (there isn't any, for all practical purposes, since he claims to have privileged communications with folks who "know" but don't want what they know to be attributed to them), he gets huffy and defensive and throws insults at all and sundry who question his "findings."

I've lost all respect for this individual as a result of what appears to be a lithium-suppressed mid-life crisis.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2007, 08:13:16 AM »

Another new episode of RESCUE ME is on tonight, and I also have CALIFORNICATION on the DVR to check out.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2007, 08:14:34 AM »

Heading down now to start the next (and last ) HARRY POTTER book.
Then lunch preparation.

WBBL.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18   Go Up