Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: TIVO TROUBLE  (Read 26279 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:TIVO TROUBLE
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2004, 09:25:58 AM »

Speaking of Mr. Mackintosh, the non-Equity tour of his OLIVER! is playing in Charlotte this very week.

Will you be seeing it?  The man who toasted us on stage after Our Wedding - The Musical ( www.WeddingMusical.com ) is in it.

The radiator here is pretty good, although we've had it turned off in the front room.  Still, there are pipes (sometimes within walls) that keep us toasty.  Guests often burn themselves on the pipe in the bathroom, and the bedroom is always too hot for DW Joy.  The gas that the stove uses has been turned off, for days.  A neighbor smelled a leak, and I suggested she call the gas company, who found a leak.  That was days ago.  Now the sub-super (we seem to have two) is capping everybody's stove-oven (shouldn't that be stoven?) - disconnecting them.  When that's done, a plumber will be called.  If the plumber succeeds in fixing the leak, Con Ed will be called to certify it's safe to reconnect all the stovens and then, once again, we can cook.

I have a bad cold.  Now the melody "It's Just the Gas" (Little Shop of Horrors) is playing in my mind.  Getting loopy.  Garçon, bring me Fruit Loops!  Hey, there's Garson Kanin!  And can Ruth Gordon be far behind?  Aaaaaa!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2004, 09:26:14 AM »

Good morning.
Well, the sun is actually making an appearance in the northwest this morning.  Shocking, I know.  
I understand about suddenly remembering why you do the job you do.  I got to the house this morning to find everyone in a lousy mood.  The 5 year old was sulking, the parents were barely awake, reaching for coffee cups like drowning men reaching for a raft, and the baby was still naked and in a miserable mood because a tooth is coming in.  Now i know that taking care of children isn't the most glamorous job in the world, but when I'm able, once the rest of the family has left, to take a small unhappy little baby and make him stop crying and give me a watery smile just by cuddling him on my lap, I wouldn't trade this job for anything.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2004, 09:29:53 AM »

Our satellite was down again and I was locked out last night.  >:(

I want to know, Jose have you warmed up yet?  ;)

Bruce I’m sure Panni is very happy you hate marzipan so she doesn’t have to share it with you.  Good marzipan is so difficult to find these days.  George, quality marzipan does not taste like cherry paste.  I don’t care for the Italian style and prefer the English or German.  I haven’t had any from Switzerland.  I’m guessing it is more like the German marzipan.  Is that true Panni?

Panni do you make your own marzipan?  My mother made it when I was young but I never had the chance to watch her.  There is another lost recipe of my mother’s.  I have never heard of anyone shivering from halvah.  ;D In my opinion, halvah should be purchased fresh from the deli, not packaged, and without nuts then chill it  before eating.

I’m obsessing about food.  I think I need to go eat breakfast.  I just wish I had some good marzipan.

td

• td
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2004, 09:36:16 AM »

LOL! Very funny, DR td. Gave me my biggest laugh of the day thus far. And isn't "bivouac" a bizarre word!  :D

. . .and it is one of the LEAST bizarre words which i have to use in Lanford Wilson's play!
But, yes, bivouac is right up there with quagmire as far as bizarre words are concerned.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2004, 09:38:03 AM »

Okay DR Emily: Did you say you were freezing in your house as well?  (come to think of it, it is so cold so most of us are freezing).

As for me, I'm really not sure why it's so cold INSIDE. The weather has been brutal. But it's never been really cold inside.  But the little space heater's work fine. I'm just not used to putting one in the living room!

As for my room, I guess I should have kept the heater on all night. But I didn't :(

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2004, 09:45:35 AM »

For pity's sake!  We are now into the new season of "Stargate: SG1" on the SciFi Channel with the maturing-beautifully Richard Dean Anderson, the ever-lovely Amanda Tapping and the incredible Michael Shanks.

Am I the ONLY sci-fi fan here??

I am not a sci-fi fan, but when it comes to Richard Dean Anderson and Michael Shanks, they could sit around the set in their underwear and I would watch... Come to think of it, I would prefer to have them sit around in their underwear.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2004, 09:46:42 AM »

Ebay is so bizarre. Gotta love those people who wait till the last minute to bid.  There were 3 charms I really wanted (italian charms) that all ended with 4 minutes of each other. One was for Les Mis, one for Rent and one for Y&R.

I decided how high I was willing to go. But I wasn't sure how close to the deadline I should bid.  For the Les Mis, I bid about 8 minutes before. But my highest price was quite a bit higher than the current bid. Luckily the price only went to 50cents higher than what it was at.

Then came Rent. I won that too. But unfortuately someone jacked the price up by 1.50 at the last second. Was not happy.

The Y&R one, someone bid higher than I wanted to go with like 3 minutes left. I could have gone crazy. But I had set a limit, so i stuck to it. Although i did email the seller to see if they had one to sell me (they make them).

I think i'm done with charms on ebay for now. Because i think it could become an addiction :)

(although my aunt gave my mom a charm watch and now she wants charms too! I bought a 25 charm set earlier in the week which I will share with her).

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2004, 09:59:23 AM »

Jrand53...

Actually the lyric is:

Eros stands in Picadilly Circus,
Nelson stand in Trafalgar Square

For years I sang it the same way until I happened to check it out in the playscript of Bricusse's musical SHERLOCK HOLMES for which he filched this song from GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS...unless he changed it, but after having learned this tidbit, I've listened carefully to Pet Clark and do believe she says Eros.

Ben, I take it this was the branch of Hamley's on Oxford street or was this the big five floor store on Regent Street, which has to be the greatest toy store around?

BK, welcome to the wonderful world of Technology.  All these wonderful things that one needs a degree in computer science to actually work and benefit from.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 10:09:15 AM by Charles Pogue »

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2004, 10:00:54 AM »

I just went into one of my yahoo accounts and found 300+ spam messages in my bulk mail folder. I was trying to figure out why (since this has never happened before) and I realized it was because I had recently transferred my yahoogroups mail to there (cause i was getting too much spam at my regular email).  Geez, they should find a way to do something about that :(

William E. Lurie

« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2004, 10:03:22 AM »

Noel---
I just read that GENERAL HOSPITAL has semi-changed its mind about John Ingle.  Instead of firing him outright, he is just being dropped from contract to recurring status meaning he will still be on the show, but will not have a guaranteed number of episodes he is paid for whether he appears in that number of episodes or not.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2004, 10:07:55 AM »

According to my CMT schedule, Cowboy U is on at 9:00 tonight.  I shall have to tape it, as I will be out to dinner tonight with an illustrious being and may not get back home in time to see it.

My drivers license renewal couldn't have gone smoother this morning.  Had a 9:25 appt at the Hollywood branch (usually swamped).  Expecting it to be swamped, I got down there an hour early.  Walk right up to the "Start Here" desk, got a ticket, was called within in a minute, the lovely lady, Sondra, immediately recognized my name, because she was from my hometown of Cincinnati and remember the old Pogue's department store.  We had a lovely chat about the ole homestead, then I took the eye test, then went right over and got my picture took and was out in less than ten minutes.  They didn't even take my old license.

Ben

« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2004, 10:22:30 AM »

Charles, you are correct, it's Regent Street. I was thinking of the Oxford Circus tube stop. We were at Hamely's on Regent Street and yes, it is the greatest toy store around. What a treat to be there at Christmas, even with the hordes of people.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2004, 10:36:00 AM »

Yes, Cowboy U debuts tonight.  I was going to Tivo it and went to set that up last night, which is how I discovered my Tivo Trouble.  I was on the phone this morning for an hour-and-a-half with four different "Tivo experts".  The first three might want to try a different line of work, as they were of no help whatsover.  I plugged, I unplugged, I tested, I did everything and nothing worked.  Finally, I got a fourth guy and he was the guy.  He talked me through two additional phone set-up things and then everything finally began to work, Tivo completed its set-up process and now I can record.  I thought that would be an ordeal - to find the program, etc. but it couldn't have been easier.  We'll see if it works tonight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2004, 10:40:53 AM »

Jrand - I answered your all-region question under the comments - I rarely look there - we've started an official thread now.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2004, 10:40:56 AM »

Of course....and I think we talked about this on the old board.....and I was amazed at that time.  I obviously didn't let it SINK IN.....hopefully I won't misquote it again.  Thanks. DRCP!  I know we talked about it before.  

DRJENNIFER - I always just make my first bid as high as I want to go.  EBAY is too weird...or rather some Ebayers are too twisted for color TV!  And something I found out after awhile....unless it is something VERY RARE...someone always eventually tries to sell another one!  If a hundred thousand of them were made....there is more than one to sell on EBAY!

Thanks MR BK, I will check out the answer.

Oh, and I think I shall adopt the mantra of Florence Foster Jenkins:  "A lot of people say I can't sing, but nobody can say I didn't sing!"   ;D

« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 10:43:55 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2004, 10:47:43 AM »

My buddy Jeff and I are taking our buddy Mark to dinner at an Egyptian restaurant called Mummy's tonight, up in Portland. Has anyone eaten Egyptian food before? I am very eager to try it...but if anyone has suggestions on what is best, I would love to hear!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2004, 10:48:20 AM »

Tanna leaves.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 10:48:36 AM by JRand53 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2004, 10:53:11 AM »

"Tanna leaves"  Where'd she go?

And say, where in tarnation IS everyone?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2004, 10:54:34 AM »

My buddy Jeff and I are taking our buddy Mark to dinner at an Egyptian restaurant called Mummy's tonight, up in Portland. Has anyone eaten Egyptian food before? I am very eager to try it...but if anyone has suggestions on what is best, I would love to hear!

I always thought that Omar Shariff looked tasty, but it kind of turned when it got old.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2004, 11:00:26 AM »

DRMBARNUM try not to laugh when you order the babaghanoush!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2004, 11:01:24 AM »

Actually, between our GUESTS and our large number of registered users currently on line, we have a huge turnout, but everyone is reading, there is a lot of reading going on here, reading is what everyone seems to be doing.  So, if everyone finishes reading at the same time and then begins posting we will have a helluva posting frenzy.

Ben

« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2004, 11:03:20 AM »

Posting, posting, posting though I'm not posting just to post. Heaven forfend that I would do such a thing.

Ben

« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2004, 11:04:37 AM »

There are 13 registered users here now.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2004, 11:05:40 AM »

Archie will be home tonight with a two-week supply of broad-based antibiotics that should, hopefully, knock out any infection. If the problem is more serious than an infection, it should be apparent in two weeks' time. The vet says Archie is continuing to improve, and we're all keeping our fingers crossed that over the coming two weeks he'll be back to his old self.  

Archie has an interesting history. He initially belonged to a close friend who had AIDS. (Clarke got Archie at the pound, and only on the condition that we'd adopt Arch should Clarke die first.) Over the years Archie shared homes between his master's and his uncles' - and was everyone's best friend. Clarke died a year ago, and as soon as Archie moved in with us he started looking after my mom.

Thanks, everyone.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2004, 11:07:24 AM »

BABAGHANOUSH....that is another very unusual word now that I think about it.  Do you suppose they serve babaghanoush in the bivouac....and what if you found pumice in your hummis?

Laura II

« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2004, 11:08:07 AM »

I am here!!

I don't know what came over me, but yesterday I resisted any urges to get online. I'll catch up on yesterday's posts later.

Happy moving and de-stress vibes to derBrucer!!!
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

More good health vibes to Archie! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ann, working with children is very rewarding. I know what you mean. It may not be glamorous/glamourous (whichever way you look at it :)), but when you know you mean something to a child, life is beautiful.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2004, 11:08:38 AM »

I always thought that Omar Shariff looked tasty, but it kind of turned when it got old.

LOL (I really am).

So did I - and then I saw him in a movie (I forget which one) and suddenly he had turned into Terry Thomas.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2004, 11:11:44 AM »

LauraII, we must never resist our urges unless we are reading a novel - then we can resist our urges, but only then.  You see, if we reisit our urges then we shan't have any urges and we will be like the walking dead, like zombies walking on a bed of glass - "Like zombies walking on a bed of glass"?  I tell you, I have spent too much time on the phone with Tivo Experts.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2004, 11:11:46 AM »

Good morning. Just got a FedEx of a book I might (operative word MIGHT) be asked to adapt - so must get down to reading it. It's pretty short, won't take long. But first...
No Goddess Jane, I've never made my own marzipan. Some thing should just be bought. Or better yet - received as gifts. I just wrote the following in a note on the marzipan subject, so will now quote myself: "Hungarians consider marzipan pigs a sign of good luck in the New Year, so my mother would always get me one. It was an ongoing struggle every January 1st to resist eating my lucky little pig. As the first week of the new year wore on I would slowly devour the poor thing. A bit of the tail, a bit of the rump - finally the head. Sounds disgusting, doesn't it?"

And please, DRs, no rude comments. I already went through every single permutation in my head, so you'd just be wasting your time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2004, 11:14:07 AM »

Wow, within two minutes of metioning thirteen GUESTS, ten of them left the room in a trice.  What is with these GUESTS?  The minute we mention them they scram as if they didn't want the attention.  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up