Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: THAI GEFILTE FISH  (Read 114286 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THAI GEFILTE FISH
« on: August 24, 2007, 10:15:59 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were especially Thai, and now it is time for you to post until the Thai cows come home.  They're currently having some Moo Krob.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 09:52:13 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THAI GEFILTE FISH
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 10:17:07 PM »

And the word of the day is: CANDENT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 10:18:43 PM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 10:19:04 PM »

I think I must try and get some sleep now.

FJL

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 10:20:34 PM »

BK _ Did you read my email in response to yours?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 10:25:23 PM »

TOD: Rent, Movin' Out, Contact
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 10:26:29 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 10:27:18 PM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... Well, I'm still up.  And shall be heading to bed sooner or later.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 10:29:30 PM »

Topic of the Day:  The worst production of a show that I've ever seen was a local production of Little Shop of Horrors.  I've posted about it before, so I won't go into it.  Just know that it was bad...very, very bad. :P

I can't think of any plays that have been bad and I can't think of any specific shows where the show itself was bad and not necessarily the production.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jason

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 10:30:03 PM »

One of the worst things I've ever seen was TUSK: A MUSICAL, as part of the very first NYMF. The story revolved around a family of elephants (played, of course, by humans, employing color-blind casting) who are captured and sent to the circus and are tortured by a drunk ringmaster, played by Jeb Brown, who later went on to star in one of the other worst things I've ever seen...RING OF FIRE on the Broad Way. He's now in GREASE! Enough said.

Anyway, during TUSK: THE MUSICAL, the drunk, 40-something has a scene/song where he's boozing up and getting angry and violent. He decides to take out his aggression on the baby elephant - played by a young African American girl. As he has hovering above the cowering little African American girl-elephant, with a bottle of whiskey in one hand and a whip - yes, a WHIP - in the other, I began to wonder if it was the absolute worst thing I'd ever seen or if it was some stroke of genius that I was just too dumb to recognize. Now I'm pretty sure it was the worst thing I've ever seen.

On Broadway, I've seen a few clunkers, too... SUZANNE SOMERS: THE BLONDE IN THE THUNDERBIRD comes immediately to mind, as do GOOD VIBRATIONS and RING OF FIRE. And DANCE OF THE VAMPIRES, though I did love it in a twisted way. And then there were IN MY LIFE and THE TIMES, THEY ARE A-CHANGIN'... Oh! And HOT FEET: THE MUSICAL THAT DANCES TO THE TUNE OF EARTH, WIND AND FIRE.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 10:31:51 PM by Jason »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 10:32:26 PM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Well, to quote a quote used in a show I recently saw: "Val Kilmer Is Moses."  The Ten Commandments is certainly one of the worst pieces of a long form music video and fashion show masquerading as a "musical".

I've also seen Shogun (at the Kennedy Center)... the first American version of Fame: The Musical...  And In My Life... All of which would have required a total overhaul to be "fixed".

...And once I'm not so sleepy - after I wake up "tomorrow" - I shall post some more shows and some more thoughts.  Maybe so, maybe not.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 10:37:16 PM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Well, to quote a quote used in a show I recently saw: "Val Kilmer Is Moses."  The Ten Commandments is certainly one of the worst pieces of a long form music video and fashion show masquerading as a "musical".

Ooo!!  I forgot about this, but I have only seen it on DVD, not live, so I didn't count it. ;)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 10:37:34 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 10:37:32 PM »

FJL - read and responded.  And now - I must sleep.

Jason

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 10:37:46 PM »

I also saw a show - DOGMUSIC, it was called - which was part of another festival of some sort, which involved humans playing dogs that had been sent to the pound. It starred BAT BOY's Deven May and Kay Walbye, who gave the best performance out of the lot. I've never been more embarrassed for a group of actors in my whole life than I was for these people, which is saying a lot as I did POOP: THE MUSICAL!...several times.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 10:45:13 PM by Jason »

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 10:38:33 PM »

TOD:

Local production of Romeo and Juliet was the worst massacre of the bard's work. However, the worst musical was something a person wrote for a town's centennial celebration.. It was BAD!!! The lyrics were bad and the singers were tone deaf
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Michael

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 10:39:30 PM »

Last night I had a pleasant surprise when I went to see Jeff Harnar in concert. He told me that Alex Rybeck wouldn't be with him this time aroumd and that he was using three local musicians.
Well I was surpised when the piano player was introduced as LANNY MYERS. Mr. Myers has worked with BK on over a dozwn albums including

Real Imagination
Toonful
Toonful, Too
Michelle Nicastro: On My Own
Sax and Violence
Ennio Morrocone
Sherlock Holmes (With Larry Moore)
Unsung Irving Berlin (With Larry Moore)
A Broadway Chrsitmas (With Larry Moore)
Burt Bacharach Album (With Larry Moore & Others)
A Hollywood Christmas
The Paul Simon Album
Unsung Musicals 2
Unsung Musicals 3

and also on
Lost In Boston 3 (The Bee)
Sondheim At The Movies (Sooner or Later)
Primetime Musicals (You're So Right For Me, Man Wanted )

Got to chat with him a bit after the show. He insisted that we met in LA and I am quite sure that we never met.

A very nice gentlemen.
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2007, 10:40:37 PM »

The usual suspects:
"RENT" - no-one could actually hear the lyrics so why would you care. The use of those Headsets took away any sense of the show being anything you cared about!
"THE WOMAN IN WHITE" - it cried out as something that had no reason to be musicalised. No character needed to sing anything and musically it just sounded dreary.
"HIGH SOCIETY" What works on film does not stage. It is just dull.
"BLOOD BROTHERS" - I felt for no-one! You already know where it is heading and I thought the journey was so totally tedious.
"J C SUPERSTAR" - all staging and no heart! "GODSPELL" had HEART.
"THE CARD" - (1973 version) - All the Dance numbers looked the same!
Jim Dale was fine. I still quite often play the score. I think the staging of the show let it down badly. I wanted to like it much more.
"THE BEAUTIFUL GAME". It could have had emotional impact but Ben Elton's lyrics were poor.  
"ASPECTS OF LOVE" - a seedy attempt at "A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC" that went awry. The story is unpleasant as are the characters.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jason

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2007, 10:42:40 PM »

The only show I've ever walked out of was DEMOCRACY on Broadway. I don't really know if it was the show or my exhaustion that led me to leave at intermission, but in any case, I couldn't stand it any longer.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2007, 10:45:50 PM »

I did not care for the musical High Society but I loved the movie. The musical was missing something...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Michael

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 10:46:15 PM »

TOD:

I have mentioned this before STREETHEAT with Glen Scarpelli and Vicki Lewis. I left at the interval.

Two plays that I slept through no matter how hard I tried to stay up.  GOOD and HURLYBURLY (The original broadway production)

A local production of THE COOCKTAIL PARTY spoken in prose rather than verse. Also the actor playing the butler kept on pronouncing the name of one the characters ChamberLANE rather than ChamberLYNN. It was like nails on a chalk board. Ans to top it off  the actor was one of my best friends back then

And The Visit wrritten by Friedrich Duerrenmatt as performed by grade 8 students. Words describe how wrong they were for this play.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 10:48:46 PM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2007, 10:46:52 PM »

I actually left the horridly written musical a guy wrote for his town's centennial... It grated on my nerves

Tomovoz

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 10:49:47 PM »

To include the filmed Stage shows:
Val Kilmer Is Moses
Heathcliff  (which is even worse)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 10:50:02 PM »

Well... I'm sleepy, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 10:51:04 PM »

To include the filmed Stage shows:
Val Kilmer Is Moses
Heathcliff  (which is even worse)

Jekyl & Hyde with David Hasseloff
Never stop dreaming.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 10:52:43 PM »

Jekyl & Hyde with David Hasseloff

OUCH!!

Not a fan of the hoff!

Michael

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 10:53:26 PM »

I want to add a third bus and truck company that came to Montreal with The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas. They didn't even use the same set or an approximation of it.  Just a series of platforms on different levels spread the stage. The show wasn't bad, but the acting and the production values were.
Never stop dreaming.

Jason

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2007, 10:53:59 PM »

I actually left the horridly written musical a guy wrote for his town's centennial... It grated on my nerves

"Red, White and Blaine"
Book, Music and Lyrics by
CORKY ST. CLAIR

Directed by                 Choreographed by
CORKY ST. CLAIR              CORKY ST. CLAIR

starring
JOHNNY SAVAGE CORKY ST. CLAIR
Ron Albertson     Sheila Albertson
Libby Mae Brown     Dr. Allan Pearl
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 11:00:16 PM by Jason »

Michael

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2007, 10:54:06 PM »

OUCH!!

Not a fan of the hoff!

He was just bad in this show.
I did like him in Knight Rider

Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2007, 10:55:46 PM »

LOL Jason.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 10:56:29 PM »

Forgot:  "Return To the Forbidden Planet" (or whatever it was called!)
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 10:58:35 PM »

J & H was indeed totally laughable.

My favourite laughter piece was the "Murder Murder" scene.
When I did get to see the show staged (and well), it still is a load of... as was (and is) the Pimpernel.

Big Ballad after Big emotional Ballad after another Big
Ballad.  None of the songs does much to advance the story line, nor to add character or emotional depth
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 11:02:10 PM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Up