Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EVELYN WOOD NOTES  (Read 25894 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE EVELYN WOOD NOTES
« on: September 17, 2007, 10:33:01 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were a speedy read, and now it is time for you to post until the speedy cows come home.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 09:09:15 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE EVELYN WOOD NOTES
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 10:35:12 PM »

And the word of the day is: FILEMOT!

FJL

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 11:01:40 PM »

Wasn'r FILEMOT a musical by Jones and Schmidt?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 11:04:49 PM »

I watched, via ComCast's "On Demand", the pilot to "Life."

BRILLIANT!  Damian Lewis is a superb actor and the premise is fresh and the execution deft.  I think you will love it if you give it a chance!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 11:06:02 PM »

JoseSPiano wrote:

Re:COUNTDOWN TO THE BRAIN
« Reply #310 on: Today at 06:34:46pm »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...And I did read today's posts, but, frankly, I'm a bit braid dead right now to remember everything I should be responding and/or commenting.  *I was even going to meet up with some friends at Splash tonight, but I'm even a bit too tired for that.

"Braid" dead, eh?  Has someone been futzing around with your hair?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 11:08:25 PM »

I also took advantage of "On Demand" and the free HD movies it offers from various premium channels.

I opted to watch "Phenomenon" (having absolutely NOTHINGon DVD to watch of my own -- he-he-he-he).

A really fine performance by Travolta in this film.  Sedgwick is very good.  Thomas Newman's score is quite evocative, but the pop tunes tend to derail the emotional arc of the film for me.

FJL

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 11:18:34 PM »

Jose, did your check for last Tuesday not get to you yet?  It was mailed last Wednesday morning, and would be in a gray envelope.

FJL

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 11:21:49 PM »

And don't you have to be at work in less than 8 hours?  :)  :)  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 11:33:31 PM »

DR FJL - To answer your questions:

-No
-Yes
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 11:34:03 PM »

I'll double-check the mail basket here, maybe it's "hiding".  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 11:36:05 PM »

In the meantime, I'm heading to bed.. again... So...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 11:42:24 PM »

HIDING IN THE MAIL BASKET - my new novel about hiding and baskets

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 12:05:20 AM »

TOD

First Movie - Bambi (fire scene was pretty scary for a five year old)

First live action was probably The Black Swan (Tyrone Power, Maureen O'Hara) - loved the action stuff!

Seared in my memory - Anna and the King of Siam - another fire scene, but this time it was a person being burned at the stake!

My mother loved Swashbucklers, she used to take us in the train to downtown Philadelphia for shopping and a movie. My favorite "movies" were at the old Earle Theatre, which had a vaudeville show before the movie.

Because Mom loved Rex Harrison and Maureen O'Hara, I got to sit through The Foxes of Harrow - a bit intense for a ten year old. I'll probably not get to re-visit it because the PC crowd has kept it from being released on Video. (says IMDB).

I got to see many films in my pre-teen years because dropping your kid (unattended) off at the local theatre for a Sat matinee was considered just fine. Of course in those days you got lots of extras with the feature - cartoons, serials (Tarzan, Zorro, Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, Lone Ranger. Etc) , news, and short subjects...

Remember

and "Pete Smith Specialties"

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 12:09:15 AM »

HIDING IN THE MAIL BASKET - my new novel about hiding and baskets

Couldn't you write HIDING IN THE MALE BASKET - you'd have a bigger audience.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 12:28:16 AM »

Tonight I ventured out to the historic Alex Theater in Glendale to see "The Mystery of Edwin Drood", put on by the Musical Theater Guild. I loved the idea of the 25 hour rehearsal period. With such professional actors it did not seem like a staged reading at all, but like a real performance. The costumes were provided by Valentino ostumes, run by the wonderful Shon LeBlanc, who always costumed the period pieces at Hollywood High School, and by whom I was costumed many times. In fact, one of the dresses worn tonight was the same dress worn by Miss Prism in the HHS The Importance of Being Earnest.

I also provided the theater with flyers for our upcoming benefit and had a lovely conversation with Adrian Russ, who I also provided with flyers. Karren Morrow was in the audience also, but I did not get a chance to say hello.
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

Tomovoz

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 01:11:13 AM »

TOTD: movies -
The Daughter of Rose O'Grady
Treasure Island (Robert Newton)
         theatre -
Kismet.

I still love the score of Kismet.  

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

singdaw

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 01:47:39 AM »

Evelyn Wood speed reading appears to be a $700.00 self-teaching DVD course now.

singdaw

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 01:56:59 AM »

Last night, DR TCB wrote:
Who's the cutie in the middle?

Ah, dear DR TCB - if I had a dollar for every time you've asked that, I could almost retire!   ;)

singdaw

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 02:00:23 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 04:05:31 AM »

I'm told I was taken to Disney Peter Pan, but developed a fever and we all had to leave. The first movie I remember is at the Wamesit drive-in, a double bill of PRINCE VALIENT and THE RIVER OF NO RETURN, with Miss Monroe....First stage show, THE MUSIC MAN-dec '61, The national company with Forrest Tucker was winding down its tour. It was my godmother's Christmas present to me. We had box seats at Boston's Shubert, and except for the Pickalittle reprise, I had had the whole score memorized since '57. I've been addicted to plays ever since.(I'm also addicted to movies, but not because of PRNCE VALIENT.)

Michael

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 04:23:41 AM »

Wasn'r FILEMOT a musical by Jones and Schmidt?

I got it.

But how many others did? ;D
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 04:27:07 AM »

First movie I ever saw was Mary Poppins. My mother, father and grandmother was there. I remember I had a box of popcorn with a clown's face on it. It cost 15 cents. I fell in love with movies and show biz and wanted to be part of it.

The movie theater was called The Westmount (even though it wasn't actually in the city of Westmount. One block east of the border) It was on Sherbrooke and Grey Avenue and it is now a Pharmacy. Pharmaprix or Shoppers Drug Mart in the rest of Canada.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 04:27:38 AM »

HI BEN!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 04:34:41 AM »

Hi, Michael! Glad to hear you're on the mend. We will miss you next week.

Now back to the salt mines.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2007, 05:30:32 AM »

TOTD: movies -
The Daughter of Rose O'Grady
Treasure Island (Robert Newton)
         theatre -
Kismet.

I still love the score of Kismet.  

You told me that it was BIRTH OF A NATION.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2007, 05:33:07 AM »

Last night, DR TCB wrote:Ah, dear DR TCB - if I had a dollar for every time you've asked that, I could almost retire!   ;)

So, I have to give you a dollar to find out who the cutie is in the picture?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 05:37:44 AM »

I'm up, and groggy, but I shall soon shower and be on my way to what I hope will be a nice dress rehearsal.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 06:00:32 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept late because I needed the rest, and I feel great.  Yes, indeedy, the band rehearsal was a lot of fun.  We have Mark on drums, Greg on reeds, Aaron on drums, and Brian on keyboard 2. Last week, while I was addressing postcards for "The Brain," I ran across the name "Brian Cimmet" and his phone number.  Much as I racked my own pathetic brain, I had no idea who this person was or why I had his phone number.  At the end of last night's rehearsal, while the band was packing up, the keyboard player mentioned that he believed he had done some copy work for me on Brent Barrett's "Three Broadway Tenors" act: the keyboard player's last name? Cimmet!

Beyond the rehearsal, I have few plans for the day: Staples for paper, the post office to send a letter with delivery confirmation to the Macbeths, a rehearsal, and home like so much fish.

DR Cillaliz, if your interpreter is a full-time person, couldn't you hire instead a part-time secretary and a part-time interpreter or an interpreter on a consulting basis?

TOD: Depending on which happened first, a re-release of SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS or CINDERELLA in 1950, that was my first film.  I was around 3 and a half years of age.  I was reading by that point, because I had a wonderful "little big book" of Cinderella I carted everywhere.  My memory of both films is vague except for images: the transformation of the queen into the crone, the mice's effort to get the key up to the tower to save Cinderella.  In 1951, I saw ALICE IN WONDERLAND, and I have a lot of memories - including the fact that the book was much too difficult for a four and a half year-old reader!  I also remember that my mother and I went into the theatre (the old Paramount on Broad Street) and the film was already playing.  We then went upstairs to the balcony to watch the film. I grew up believing the Paramount had two screening rooms.  The irony is that if that great old theatre were still standing, it would probably have four to six screening rooms!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 06:02:47 AM »

TOD:

Movie:  My parents regularly took the entire family to the movies and I was included as an infant at least to the trips to the drive-in.  But I don't recall anything at all until a trip to see Walt Disney's BON VOYAGE with Fred MacMurray.  I have no idea why this movie is a focal point or why it stuck in my head.

I think the first movie that I paid rapt attention to was PINOCCHIO, which had strong influences on me.  I learnt a life's lesson from it--that no matter how bad you are or how much trouble you get into, things will turn out good in the end.  Better than good, in fact.  Probably not the lesson that Walt Disney intended.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2007, 06:15:55 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm about to head back downtown for rehearsal or something like that.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up