Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EVELYN WOOD NOTES  (Read 25708 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE EVELYN WOOD NOTES
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 06:16:36 AM »

DR FJL - Yes, "it" was hiding in the mail basket - actually, in a West Elm catalog to be more precise.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 06:17:26 AM »

PAGE TWO MAIL BASKET DANCE!!!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 06:18:12 AM »

Alas, that is only a representation of our mail basket.  There are no "Dog Fancy" subscribers in this household.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2007, 06:18:19 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings.  As such days go, yesterday was about as perfect as Harriet planned.  We had a couple of mini-dramas, but overall the private committal and the memorial service went well.  The gatherings here between and afterwards went smoothly, and all the HHW vibes were appreciated.  There is great physical and emotional exhaustion in our household.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 06:18:45 AM »

Now, if you want to talk about a "male basket", well....

See you at The Reservoir.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 06:19:09 AM »

DR Ginny and Family - {{{{{HUG}}}}}
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 06:22:13 AM »

Thanks, DR Jose.

DR Elmore and my DH Richard now have something else in common - the position of executor.  They can commisserate in a couple of weeks.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2007, 06:22:23 AM »

Jose - Glad you found it.  I was beginning to doubt my confidence in the U.S. males.

FJL

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2007, 06:22:48 AM »

:)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2007, 06:22:49 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I seem to remember the "Flipper" movie.  And the first "Star Wars".  And, believe it or not, "The Witch of Blackbird Pond", I think.  Oh, and "The Seven Voyages of Sinbad".  My parents always used to take us to some movie on the Army Base, or the local drive-in.  Sometimes the fare was age appropriate, other times, well... ???

But the one presentation that really does stick in my mind is the annual Coast Guard Academy showing of "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol".  They showed it every year in the big hall at The Academy, and afterwards, we would all head out to the lobby, where, lo and behold, Santa would be waiting for us.  And he always had whatever gift we had asked for.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2007, 06:23:18 AM »

OK... Time to head back into midtown for a few hours.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2007, 06:26:48 AM »

The first show I saw was HELLO DOLLY, when Ethel Merman was in it.  One vivid memory was watching her conspiratorial leaning  on "Bridge that gap, fellas, Find me an empty lap, fellas" - when I was ten years old, that somehow seemed so adult.  

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2007, 06:31:56 AM »

TOD - The first movie I remember seeing was Carousel.  I was 5 or 6 and our mother took me, my sister (10 years older), and a couple of my sister's girlfriends.  What I remember most is the weeping teenage girls in the back seat on the way home.

Like DR brian, my first stage musical was the Forrest Tucker/Joan Weldon tour of The Music Man at Detroit's Riviera Theater.  MM remains one of my all-time favorite shows and may have had something to do with my becoming a librarian.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2007, 06:42:02 AM »

I shall now be on my way to rehearsal.  Trying to keep spirits up in the face of the HUGE number of checks I must write this week (the biggest week of all).  i gotta tell you.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2007, 06:46:55 AM »

I've stolen some "Brain" photos from stage manager Rachel. Here are our speedo boys Steve and Joe:
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2007, 06:47:21 AM »

DR Laura and I are off to see butterfles.

Laters!
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2007, 06:47:46 AM »

This seems rather self-explanatory:
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2007, 06:48:37 AM »

Perhaps our title song?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2007, 07:00:03 AM »

Thanks, DR Jose.

DR Elmore and my DH Richard now have something else in common - the position of executor.  They can commisserate in a couple of weeks.
DR Ginny, I'm happy things went as wll as they did for you.  I hope Richard is more successful than I as executor: I feel, as I did 25 years ago, that 500 miles from the scene of the crime is not particularly easy in expediting things: hence this empty-the-house issue.  I do think Richard will have it easier unless David or John has a Macbeth streak to undermine, suppress and supplant. I swear, I never thought our sibling rivalry as children was going to blossom into such open hostility as adults or that one of my brothers would openly show such dislike and resentment of me.  I've been proud and affectionate to both of them my entire adult life.  However, I must admit, Macbeth behaved the same way to me in 1994 when our mother died: neither he nor Lady M invited me to their wedding.  I should have been wiser then and cut the ass out of my life for good.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2007, 07:37:12 AM »

Because Mom loved Rex Harrison and Maureen O'Hara, I got to sit through The Foxes of Harrow - a bit intense for a ten year old. I'll probably not get to re-visit it because the PC crowd has kept it from being released on Video. (says IMDB).

If you get the Fox Movie Channel, this movie gets aired every now and again.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2007, 07:50:11 AM »

Good morning!

Cooler morning temperatures continue, and I went the entire day yesterday without turning on the central A/C. I really do believe the summer is mostly over (though the high today is supposed to be 81).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2007, 07:52:41 AM »

TOD:

My mother has assured me she took me with her to the movies every week for the first several years of my life...and at least monthly after that.  She says I "saw" a lot of films, including "An American in Paris" and "Singin' in the Rain."

My memory, however, marks three (count 'em 3) films as the "first" I saw.  They are indivisible because I don't know which was first.  They were all from 1956, though.

My memories are extremely vivid:  I saw "Anastasia" and "The Ten Commandments" in a theater in Augusta GA; and I saw "War and Peace" in the Johnston SC theater.

I remember other movies from those early years, though, including "Hansel and Gretel", a live-action film that may have preceded the three named above.  I also remember being taken to see "The Incredible Shrinking Man".  Given that films did not have "wide" releases that we are now used to (i.e., some films would not play in the sticks until a year after release), it's impossible for me to flatout state, "Oh!  XXX was my first memory of a movie."

That said, my strongest memory of the three first-named films is of "War and Peace."  I don't know why I felt so engaged by this film.  It may be I felt more comfortable in the smaller theater in my hometown.  I remember being totally engrossed in the film and captivated by the production design.  I couldn't imagine anyone living in such splendor and wearing such beautiful clothing.  When the intermission came, I was very confused because I just knew the film could not be over.  That was, to my knowledge, my first "intermission."  My memories of "Anastasia" and "The Ten Commandments" are more scene-specific, but neither match my first memory of seeing Hepburn and Fonda walk away chatting in the ruins of a house at the end of "War and Peace."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2007, 07:54:15 AM »

I am also not clear on my first stage play.  It was a little theater production in Greenville SC....of that much I'm certain.

It was either "The Odd Couple" or "Stop the World! I Want to Get Off!"  Both were genuinely enthralling.  

Matt H.

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2007, 07:54:58 AM »

I remember clearly two movies as a very small child; I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5, but I'm not sure which came first.

JOHNNY GUITAR (could this have been the first stirrings on my gay gene?) I remember my mother with me seeing this is Monroe, NC, a small city about 20 miles from my hometown.

TARGET EARTH which I remember scared the life out of me. I was clinging to my brother as the robot advanced on the heroes on the rooftop at the end. I saw this is a movie theater my uncle owned (but didn't manage).

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2007, 07:57:32 AM »

Oh!  As to how the first three films I named hold up today, I have to say I find them extremely enjoyable.

I don't know whether it's the association of them being my first memories of film, or whether the films are truly well-made.  I

Given that they are all easily available -- and have been for years -- on home video, I suspect they give many people a great deal of pleasure.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2007, 07:57:56 AM »

Another episode of DAMAGES tonight. Otherwise I'll be DVDing it today. I have the remaining POWER RANGER episodes to watch in that set. If BONES comes today, I'll watch an episode of it from the season 2 box set.

If it doesn't come, I may go ahead and start watching EAT MY DUST!, another Roger Corman epic. Well, he only produced this one; de didn't direct it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 07:59:17 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2007, 08:05:21 AM »

My earliest memory of anything on the stage was being taken to my cousin's dance recital at age 6. I was so enthralled by the singing and dancing and sparkling costumes that I couldn't wait to get started, so I began that fall while stil 6 years old taking tap and jazz.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2007, 08:13:10 AM »

Yep!  I knew it!  MattH is a "jazz baby"!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2007, 08:13:56 AM »

TOD:  My sisters used to drag me to movies when I was very young--barely past the toddler stage.  One of the first that we saw repeatedly (and I mean repeatedly) was West Side Story.  I still remember cowering in a fetal position with my hands over my ears at the end when Tony's about to get shot because I had seen it so many times and knew it was coming.

Priceless quote concerning Jose's favorite Eldar department:  I was listening to the Blue Note CD this morning when Zach walked in and said, "Is that guy just randomly pressing keys?"  It made me laugh.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2007, 08:31:48 AM »

Yep!  I knew it!  MattH is a "jazz baby"!

Yep, Carol Channing has NOTHING on me!

;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up