Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NAUSEOUS NOTES  (Read 51064 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE NAUSEOUS NOTES
« Reply #450 on: September 19, 2007, 06:34:41 PM »

This should do it

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #451 on: September 19, 2007, 06:37:11 PM »

Vis a vis what Ron Pulliam was talking about re the Film Score Monthly discussion and the guy Ron calls Saint David:  There was just a post in support of Saint David's info which seemed suspect to me, since the guy said he'd come late to the discussion, etc.  When I clicked on his username he'd registered on the board today.  Yeah, right.  When I called that out, he posted again saying he'd seen Pulliam's post HERE on our board and since he was interested in sci-fi, he went there and read it and found both Saint David and my info interesting.  Of course, he hadn't included me in his initial post.  Now, did any of our regulars post this as "altamese"?  Or was it a lurker - I'm just curious.

3DDiffusion

« Reply #452 on: September 19, 2007, 06:41:35 PM »

Vis a vis what Ron Pulliam was talking about re the Film Score Monthly discussion and the guy Ron calls Saint David:  There was just a post in support of Saint David's info which seemed suspect to me, since the guy said he'd come late to the discussion, etc.  When I clicked on his username he'd registered on the board today.  Yeah, right.  When I called that out, he posted again saying he'd seen Pulliam's post HERE on our board and since he was interested in sci-fi, he went there and read it and found both Saint David and my info interesting.  Of course, he hadn't included me in his initial post.  Now, did any of our regulars post this as "altamese"?  Or was it a lurker - I'm just curious.

Nah...what I said here was that I went to the Film Score Monthly Forums to "check on the threads" and discovered that Masada had just been released as a DVD.

I thought about editing my post there to clarify that I hadn't originally gone there in search of info on SF movies, but then didn't. But once I discovered that was indeed what the thread was about, and since I did find all the information interesting, I said so.

(And signed up there with the intent of pumping yet more information about such sf scores out of the knowledgeable.)

Altamese is a female name, by the way.  :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 06:46:51 PM by 3DDiffusion »
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #453 on: September 19, 2007, 06:46:47 PM »

So...

After rehearsal, I met a friend for drinks at "special interest" establishment.  It turned out that our bartender is a singer - operatically trained - and that he has an audition on Monday for some scholarship competition... And his accompanist just bailed on him, so...  Since my Sunday Poppins rehearsal has been changed - the girls will be watching the show that day - well...  -I just hope he sings well.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #454 on: September 19, 2007, 06:49:18 PM »

Well, I hope you know why I had the kneejerk reaction - there is long history with MMM being a very wacky and slightly demented person who is basically off his rocker about certain subjects and posts all these things without offering a shred of proof - especially in the case of Robinson Crusoe on Mars, in which he avers that Fred Steiner wrote portions of the score.  He even referenced a quote in a book that said so.  But what the quote really said was that Mr. Steiner orchestrated and arranged a few cues from Mr. Van Cleave's already-written music.  A big difference there, as you might imagine.  And he'd done this same thing in a much bigger way with Franz Waxman and his Oscar-winning score to A Place In The Sun.  So, after an enforced (by the owner of that board) three week "vacation" the first thing he does is come into a thread I began to once again muddy the waters and make statements he really can't back up.  In other words, he just states Steiner wrote portions of the score, when Steiner didn't actually write ANY original music.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #455 on: September 19, 2007, 06:52:08 PM »

Yes, McGann has done quite a few for a company called Big Finish, that has done quite a lot of sci fi audio of classic series such as Saphire and Steel, Doctor Who, Adventures of Sarah Jane, etc.

I have 'em all digitized on my computer...

I have some but it takes so blasted long to download with dailup.

I do have most of the new series on DVD and some of the Sarah Jane Adventures.

I hear there is an animated series  possibly in the works.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #456 on: September 19, 2007, 06:53:00 PM »

I'm thinking it's time for some health food....like Dairy and anti-oxidents........ice cream and dark chocolate!!!

Excellent choice!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #457 on: September 19, 2007, 06:53:47 PM »

Some of us can't get Levian cookies whenever we want...BUT....SOON, VERY SOON, I SHALL EAT ONE OF THOSE TASTY MORSELS!!!!!   Whew! That felt good.

I am jealous :)

Have fun and enjoy them!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #458 on: September 19, 2007, 06:54:27 PM »

How can it almost be ten o'clock already.  I have to get up at six-thirty to be at the theater by eight.  

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #459 on: September 19, 2007, 06:54:58 PM »

You are very generous, Cillaliz.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #460 on: September 19, 2007, 06:57:58 PM »

I agree DR Laura, Cilla is a very generous person and a good soul.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #461 on: September 19, 2007, 07:01:15 PM »

Wow!... I really am tired right now.  Who knew that four hours of rehearsal could be so exhausting?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #462 on: September 19, 2007, 07:01:45 PM »

-Just sayin', that's all.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #463 on: September 19, 2007, 07:03:52 PM »

I can believe that rehearsal can be taxing.  I hope it went well...

Danise

« Reply #464 on: September 19, 2007, 07:06:47 PM »

Hi all!

I just had to pop in and see what kind of day our Birthday Boy is having.  I hope it was a wonderful one!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #465 on: September 19, 2007, 07:10:15 PM »

DR JOSE picked up another client.

I moseyed over to the FSM board to see what it was all about.  I had to re-register......dumb bunnies won't accept my password AGAIN.

And now I have to watch ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS again.....after reading all about it.

I like that movie.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #466 on: September 19, 2007, 07:11:02 PM »

PAN'S LABYRINTH was an outstanding film....I liked it a lot....very different than what I thought it would be....with some extreme violence...

But I liked the story and the actors.....

Danise

« Reply #467 on: September 19, 2007, 07:11:05 PM »

I had to take a class for work today.  Access 4 which is programing in Visual Basic.

I knew I was getting into the deep end of the pool at the last class (Access 3) which was about macros but this one is over my head.  

I don't honestly think I shall ever really use it but I will say that it was nice to at least get a sample of some real programing.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #468 on: September 19, 2007, 07:12:29 PM »

Two days is hardly enough time to get any kind of real grasp on something so complex.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #469 on: September 19, 2007, 07:14:47 PM »

I also keep forgetting to mention how much I enjoyed the tape of Mr Andre Previn's opera of A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE starring friend of birthday boi DR ELMORE - and new friend of MR BK - Rodney Gilfry.

Outstanding music and some very good performances.  Rodney was a terrific Stanley, although he only lost his shirt in the shower scene....and Renee Fleming as Blanche and Elizabeth Futral as Stella were both good as well.  Anthony Dean Griffey who is built rather stoutly...was just not my idea of Mitch....but there you are.

Fleming was especially good in the second act when Blanche gets desperate.  Her "come on" to Stanley in the first act was a bit strong for me....character wise.

If you like Opera....and you haven't seen this.....give it a try.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #470 on: September 19, 2007, 07:15:21 PM »

I had to take a class for work today.  Access 4 which is programing in Visual Basic.

I knew I was getting into the deep end of the pool at the last class (Access 3) which was about macros but this one is over my head.  

I don't honestly think I shall ever really use it but I will say that it was nice to at least get a sample of some real programing.

Who knew computers were so much MATH???   :P

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #471 on: September 19, 2007, 07:15:31 PM »

Two of his ideas ended up on our table last night.  The first was a honey-lemon rockfish fillet.  Slice a lemon crosswise, 1/4 inch thick, lay them down in a line and set the fillet on top of them, skin side down.  Season with salt and pepper, and then add a drizzle of honey.  Transfer to a grill or oven and cook for ten to fifteen minutes.  Delish.  But I suggest using a mild honey, as a strongly flavored one will overpower the fish.

I once concocted a similar dish using chicken breasts and a bit of rosemary. I named it Rosemary's Chicken. It was a big hit.

3DDiffusion

« Reply #472 on: September 19, 2007, 07:16:51 PM »

But what the quote really said was that Mr. Steiner orchestrated and arranged a few cues from Mr. Van Cleave's already-written music.  A big difference there, as you might imagine.

Indeed.... just goes to show people should always check with original sources and not take the word of people whose memories might be faulty.

I learn that lesson anew almost every day!
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #473 on: September 19, 2007, 07:18:08 PM »

Hi all!

I just had to pop in and see what kind of day our Birthday Boy is having.  I hope it was a wonderful one!

DR Danise!  Thanks for asking.  I had a quiet day, very pleasant, lots of nice cards, some funny e-cards online, a birthday package from Nursie Jane which I plan to share tomorrow with the cast and band, several books fromAmazon.com, a wonderful call from our DR Jose, and - best of all - a job. Next week is the 100th Anniversary of the Plazxa Hotel and I'll be writing a 7-9 minute medley of theatre music from 1907  on for which a fireworks display will be timed, It looks as though I'll take a song from every decade, so I'll cover 1907, 1917, 1927, 1937, etc.  I'll have to omit some seasons but it will occupy my non-NYMF time and non-Toyland for about the next five days.  

There was also a call from my brother Randy with good news about an offer on my dad's property. And at around 9 pm, the Macbeths called.  They ca work me into a frenzy with their vacillating friendliness and hostility and I refuse to let them con me.  All in all, a wonderful day.  And the weather was spectacular!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #474 on: September 19, 2007, 07:20:05 PM »

BK-

There are two remedies for nausea which work for me

COCA COLA SYRUP-Someimes very difficult to get-usually at a Soda Fountain

Fernet Branca- An Italian digestive liquor.Very effective and available at most Bars.

Hope you feel better..V-I-B-E-S

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #475 on: September 19, 2007, 07:21:18 PM »

I also keep forgetting to mention how much I enjoyed the tape of Mr Andre Previn's opera of A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE starring friend of birthday boi DR ELMORE - and new friend of MR BK - Rodney Gilfry.

That reminds me: both Rodney and his daughter Carin called with birthday felicitations, as did my friend Betty from the Library of Congress.  She had just come from dinner with Ron Raines, Debbie Gravitte, and Jason Graae, who are performing tomorrow night in a salute to Jerry Herman.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #476 on: September 19, 2007, 07:22:01 PM »

I am glad to hear that you had a delightful day all in all...

Cillaliz

« Reply #477 on: September 19, 2007, 07:24:25 PM »

You are very generous, Cillaliz.
Thanks.  I just like to be fair.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #478 on: September 19, 2007, 07:27:37 PM »

Some of us can't get Levian cookies whenever we want...BUT....SOON, VERY SOON, I SHALL EAT ONE OF THOSE TASTY MORSELS!!!!!   Whew! That felt good.

The oatmeal raisin ones look good.

I agree, in this instance, giving a severance is the right thing to do.   Are you sure you don't need her part time for interpreting?  

Cillaliz

« Reply #479 on: September 19, 2007, 07:27:37 PM »

DR Elmore, when is the celebration for the Plaza? Is it a public event?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17   Go Up