Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GALLEY SLAVE  (Read 20798 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE GALLEY SLAVE
« on: January 20, 2004, 12:04:27 AM »

Well, you've read the notes VERY carefully, you know all about Kon, and now it's time to have a plethora of postings on our topic of the day.  If you have nothing to add to the topic of the day, then just start your own.  To it, I say. ::)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 12:05:06 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE GALLEY SLAVE
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 12:07:37 AM »

LauraII, you read one book?  And you don't tell anyone this?  Did you enjoy it, hate it, what?  Inquiring minds wish to know.  And if you enjoyed it, you simply must write a review at amazon.com.

Laura II

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 12:16:41 AM »

Oh, I really enjoyed it! I shall go about writing a review at a more seemly hour.

So far, the only movie I would like on DVD that I can think of is The Little Mermaid.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2004, 12:17:48 AM »

The Little Mermaid, while out of print, was released on DVD.  We're looking for wish lists of never-before-released DVDs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 12:19:18 AM »

Nine GUESTS???  Who are these nine GUESTS at this hour, who only want to see what others are saying and never want to join in the merriment and mirth and laughter and legs?  Watch this - now that I've mentioned them, at least half will immediately disappear.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 12:20:01 AM »

George, for God's sake, SAY something.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 12:21:36 AM »

Hang on!  I'm writing!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 12:23:07 AM »

I would love to have some "official" releases of musical shows that were broadcast on TV, especially Evening Primrose (with Anthony Perkins) and It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman (with Loretta Swit).  Have them all cleaned up and spiffy.

Didn't Warren Beatty have a copy Evening Primrose cleaned up as a special gift for Stephen Sondheim for some special reason?  I remember reading that but I don't remember why.

Done.  Happy Bruce? ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 12:25:34 AM »

Told ya - the minute I mentioned nine GUESTS, suddenly there were THREE guests.  Is a puzzlement.  

Laura II

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2004, 12:27:36 AM »

What? What?!? It's out of print??? NOOOOOO
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 12:32:41 AM by Laura II »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2004, 12:40:41 AM »

There are many copies available from amazon.com sellers - but kind of pricey, starting at $29.  They go for more on eBay, so you might want to snag one of the amazon ones.  Be sure you check the feedback of whatever seller you're thinking of buying from.

George

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2004, 12:41:47 AM »

What? What?!? It's out of print??? NOOOOOO

That's what Disney does.  They release titles for a specific amount of time then put them "in the Disney Vault" and they won't be available (new) for 7-10 years.  You can only get them in used bins or eBay or places like that.  According to Disney.com, "These movies disappear back into the Disney Vault January 31!:  Sleeping Beauty Special Edition, Fantasia, Lady And The Tramp II: Scamp's Adventure, Fantasia 2000, The Jungle Book 2, 101 Dalmatians II: Patch's London Adventure."  Get them now or wait 10 years or so.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2004, 12:46:45 AM »

Just perused the sellers, and I would definitely not buy from the first two, the ones who have it for 29 bucks.  One has twenty percent negatives and the other fourteen percent, which is TOO many negatives saying the same thing - that they can't get the seller to e-mail them when there's a prob.  The third seller, kristhemovieman has 100% positives, and while he's a bit more at 33 bucks, that's the one I'd grab.  The original list price of the disc was 29.95, so it's not even that much more.

George

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004, 12:46:48 AM »

I'm going to sleep now.  I have to work in the morning.  I hate going back to work after a three day (or more) weekend.  Goodnight BK and Laura II.

Laura II

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2004, 12:56:22 AM »

Aww, thank you, BK and George for taking the time to explain and to check that info out for me. Yes, Disney has that silly vault. That part I knew. I just had no idea that The Little Mermaid was ever released on DVD. I will survive without it for now, as I still have it on tape. I am quite happy that I bought the special edition of Beauty and the Beast last year. It's my favorite Disney animated feature. What's yours?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2004, 01:20:19 AM »

Why am I up so late?  I got in bed an hour ago, read the first few chapters of Wicked (wonderful so far) and tried to sleep...but sleep seems to be hiding from me, so I am pursuing the board instead.  
As far as DVD's, the one that comes to mind first that I'd love to see is the Kline/Lansbury version of Pirates of Penzance.  I own it on video, but I'd love to see it on DVD.  
Wow.  I was going to mention The Last Unicorn as another I'd love to see move to DVD, but I checked amazon.com and saw that it will in fact be released on DVD in March of this year.  hoo and ray.
I shall try to sleep now..

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2004, 02:49:27 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm.......I will have to think....if I can only have 5!

So MR BK - what WAS the actor's revenge?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2004, 03:38:45 AM »

Movies I Would Like To See on DV D

STAR!
Darling Lili
If it's Tuesday, It Must Be Beligum (Original version)
Show Boat (30's Version)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2004, 03:51:09 AM »

Movies I Would Like To See on DV D

STAR!
Darling Lili
If it's Tuesday, It Must Be Beligum (Original version)
Show Boat (30's Version)

Also:

When Cotton Comes To Harlem
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2004, 04:37:51 AM »

Well - it was difficult to list JUST five - but since these lists can be VERY personal   ;D :

"The Long Long Trailer" - in a 'Scope DVD.  It still makes me laugh!

"The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse" - the Andre Previn score is wonderful (got a CD release) but I really like the performances of Glenn Ford, Karl Boehm, Charles Boyer, and Paul Henreid - and Ingrid Thulin (with Angela Lansbury's voice).  I would like to see this one in a 'Scope transfer as well.

"Harlow" - starring Carroll Baker as someone with the name but not the life of Jean Harlow.  Nice Panavision and a Neal Hefti score...with a commentary by Baker that matches the frankness of her autobiography!

"State Fair" - the much maligned 1962 version with Pat Boone and Ann-Margret and Pamela Tiffin.  Some really nice music and on location photography.  Would like to see this in widescreen the way I remember it!

"Bernadine" - I know, I know, another Pat Boone movie, but this one really features Dick Sargent, has some good tunes, and is fun....where is the 'Scope DVD?

So two from FOX, two from MGM, and one from Paramount!

I was going to list "Valley of the Dolls" but I think that has been announced for release this year!  :D

Kerry

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2004, 05:07:45 AM »

I'll think of others, but the FIRST movie I'd like to see released on DVD is "The Pleasure of His Company" with the ever debonair Fred Astaire and sparkling Lili Palmer and that great dialogue.

Now that I recently saw "Two for the Road" on VHS, I'd like to see that on DVD too.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 05:08:31 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2004, 05:08:55 AM »

Kerry you're right.  And Debbie Reynolds and Tab Hunter, too!  And Charles Ruggles?  

Ben

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2004, 05:25:46 AM »

I just finished Friday posts and now I have to go back and read Saturday, Sunday and Monday (along with the notes). We were away all weekend and got back last evening. I'm now at work.

Before Friday I would have said I Could Go On Singing and Meet Me in Saint Louis but then I saw John Fricke (an indisputable Judy Garland expert) and he told me that four Judy movies (For Me and My Gal and another that I can't remember) will be released on DVD at some point this year. I've said it before but I'll repeat myself, I love I Could Go On Singing. It's a bit of a sloppy movie but there is something in Judy's performance that just touches me. There are points that give me chills. The scence with Dirk Bogarde in the doctor's office when she talks about going on stage is amazing. I also dearly love MMISL. I think it's one of my favourite JG movies (notice how the British have taken over my life).

Speaking of British here is a shot of Anthony in an evening shot on Christmas Eve in front of a London landmark.

Ben

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2004, 05:26:23 AM »

Need to get back to work. I'll return.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2004, 06:01:11 AM »

Another great photo from an HHW'er!  We have been to London and Italy in the past couple of days...and we were in Hawaii last week!  And New York City!  Whew!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2004, 06:18:18 AM »

Overheard at Buckingham Palace:

Prince Philip: "I say, Liz. What's the name of that bloody little shoppe behind Anthony?"

Ben

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2004, 06:23:39 AM »

And Dear Liz replied, "Oh, Philly darling, it's Harrod's. Don't you remember when you got your saddles for the new polo ponys? You picked up the riding crop and that look came into your eye. Oh, my darling Philip, there it is again. We're lucky the servants are off today."  ;)

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2004, 07:18:29 AM »

RE: MattH's American Idol comments from last night!

I totally agree with you.  Air force girl (for some reason I've been calling her Army girl) was my favorite!  She was so sweet and cute. And her voice was good.

I really don't get why they wouldn't let anyone with real potential through to the next round. I mean what difference does it really make?  They do NOT have to LOVE every single person who goes to Hollywood.

I also loved Scooter girl (although I hope they really didn't make her give away her scooter), cute boy, the red head Dean Martin singer, and the 2 black brothers (I liked them both).

I will say though that IMO we were shown too many BAD performances. At the end they flashed all the people from NY who will move on to the next round, and we hardly saw any of them. I would personally rather see only a few bad performances, and more of the good ones.

Also, I think I know why most of the terrible people are stunned to hear they are that bad (poor girl who had the bet with Simon to sing at that bar!)

Think about it, to get to perform in front of the real judges, the contestants have probably made it through 5 rounds of "other" judges. I'm sure most people making it through five rounds would think they must have talent. They just don't realize that most of the people making it on tv for the real judges are the worst of the worst!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2004, 07:20:48 AM »

And Philip responded: "It gives you great pleasure."

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2004, 07:22:51 AM »

Well, aside from any and all June Kenney and Allison Hayes movies that have not already been released on DVD....here is my list of 5 others,

THE CAT PEOPLE/CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE (I know that is two films, but they would likely be realeased as a combo anyway)

BAMBI

QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE

STORM WARNING (wonderful Ginger Rogers, Ronald Reagan, Doris Day drama)

INTERNATIONAL HOUSE (W.C. Fields, Burns and Allen)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up