Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GALLEY SLAVE  (Read 20789 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE GALLEY SLAVE
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2004, 10:44:06 AM »

I second DR WELs THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT list...I am also gonna add BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS to my list (cheating, and making it a list of 6), with commentary by some of the cast.

MattH: I bought a 6th generation video of ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE back in the mid 1980s...then when Sinister Cinema released a tape of it (under the alternate title of THE FANTASTIC PUPPET PEOPLE) I bought it...tho it was still not of very good pic quality...then MGM released the official video so I bought that, then came the DVD and of course I purchased that as well...so there is my upgrading story...I am so happy for technology and to finally get a beautiful copy of my #1 favorite movie!

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2004, 10:46:07 AM »

DR Jay, Happy good-luck job interview vibes to you!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :)  ;)  :D  ;D  ;)  :)  ;D  :D  ;)  8)  ;D  :-* [/move]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2004, 10:51:00 AM »

Disney would be wise to present SONG OF THE SOUTH not as a Platinum Edition, nor as a Vault DisneY (which is actually now defunct, despite the menus on 20,000 LEAGUES) BUT as a LIMITED EDITION TIN.  
Press only about 100,000 or so, and see how the sales are; then, if sales warrant it, present a standard edition.  That way, those of us who want it, can get it and those who don't even want to see it released, won't have to buy it to bitch.
No, but they will bitch, and bitch loudly.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2004, 11:02:14 AM »

Fingers crossed for Jay!

WEL, that was nice of you to make Splenda desserts for your diabetic friends!  How thoughtful.   You'd make an excellent company manager.

Thank you all for your excellent suggestions for monologues.  I will make a pilgrimage to the library and check them out.  I forgot to mention that Alto's Lament is also a possibility for a song.

The monologue I've had for years is about a girl who is in a long-lasting locked-horns phase of her marriage when one night she finds herself peeing the bed, whereupon her husband punches her in the eye and they fall in love again.  "I saw stars, just like you're supposed to!  And through the stars, I could hear him crying."  Her friends, naturally, are stumped and shocked, and she explains, "Bob and I became brutes, we had to!  We had gotten to the point where there was no civilized way for us to behave, so I pissed on him and he punched me in the eye!"

It's from "Women of Manhattan" by John Patrick Shanley.  It's a little offbeat.  Once for a class I paired it with "Bewitched" and they all howled.  But now, I don't know, I think I've had it for so long that it's gotten stale.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2004, 11:07:15 AM »

Bruce, I'll definitely second LI'L ABNER & RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY...I think the only versions of these I have are bad videos taped off TV.  I'd also like to see the Budd Boetticher/Randolph Scott Westerns out on DVD.  I'm sure there are tons of classic black & whites that haven't made it to DVD yet.

I would love to see more televised plays put on DVD, particularly stuff from the BBC.  One in particular is AN AGE OF KINGS which was a BBC series of Shakespeare's history plays covering the period of Richard II; Henry IV, both parts; Henry V; Henry VI, all three parts; and Richard III.  Lots of fine British actors are in it, among them...Judi Dench as Katherine of France, Eileen Atkins as Joan of Arc; Sean Connery as Hotspur; and Paul Daneman as Richard III.  I used to have an audio tape of a BBC radio production of Daneman as Dickie the Third, which was maybe the finest Richard III I've ever heard.  This An Age of King series ran on BRAVO once before they just utterly abandoned their mandate to bring us Arts programming and started filling up airtime with crap like Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and Celebrity Poker Countdown.

But what I would most like to see on DVD...and which as far as I know never made it on video...is a little movie called THOSE LIPS THOSE EYES, starring Frank Langella and Thomas Hulce and is a wonderful little movie about being seduced by theatre.  I adore this movie...it's like my life passing before my eyes in so many ways.  It's the movie I put on when the business has really got me depressed.  It reminds me why I got into it in the first place.   But the only copy I have is a not-great video taped from TV.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2004, 11:08:37 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD INTERVIEW VIBES TO DR JAY!!!  ;D[/move]
Yes, DRMBARNUM - I think "Storm Warning" should be released on DVD!  :D

So many good choices.  Disney is so strange, and its decisions are so $$$-based that they don't seem to have any creative incentive at all.  But then I get one of their double-disk releases and it is so well put together - grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  I guess you can't even please some of the people all the time!

But for Disney, I would also add their live action releases like "Toby Tyler at the Circus" and "Bon Voyage" and "The Shaggy Dog".  And of course the Disneyland episodes of "The Young Dick Turpin" we talked about last week!

Der Brucer is probably correct that "Song of the South" will probably never get a wide release, and for the reasons he posits.  I guess it doesn't matter to the executives today, how offended some of us can be by what is passes for entertainment now.

I am not saying that the censorship of the past was better or that we should go back in time, but I am saying that sometimes subtle is better.   ;)  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 11:10:54 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2004, 11:10:25 AM »

Thank you, Dear Reader MBarnum!

Thank you and welcome back, Dear Reader Joy!

And thank you Dear Reader JRand53!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 11:12:01 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2004, 11:12:26 AM »

Oh.... DRPANNI - you wrote one of my favorite TV Movies on one of my favorite subjects:  Amelia Earhart!!!
And Diane Keaton did a good job portraying her!  What a mystery that was!  Did you do a lot of research for that movie, or did they tell you what conclusion to reach?  It is such a mysterious and controversial subject....I would like to see it again!
Thank you, Jrand53! (Might as well add that one to the list of DVD wishes.)
Yes, Keaton was a fine Amelia. And she really looks like her. (She was also great to work with. Very bright, no ego involved - just what would make the film good.) I did a great deal of research for the movie. It's one of those topics that any conclusion you decide to reach about her fate -- you'll find a book filled with "irrefutable " evidence to support you. I wasn't told what conclusion to come to. We tried on various theories for size, and eventually came back to the one I had in the first place: Earhart was ill-prepared for her final flight and she crashed. Although I do like my ending which is not as black and white as that. BTW - I think you can still rent the film at some Blockbusters.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2004, 11:14:09 AM »

Finished proofing Part One.  Break time, then on to part two.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2004, 11:17:23 AM »

Really?  I will look for it.  I remember there was another one with Susan Clark that I didn't like as much.  LOL.  

And yes Diane Keaton's appearance was uncannily like Amelia....who had a close connection to Purdue University here in Indiana, you know!

And yes, your ending is a haunting kind of finale that caused a lot of conversation among friends....and a run on Earhart books in those days before we were all tied to the internet!  LOL!  One author even said she planned the whole thing and was living as a housewife in New Jersey!  

Panni

« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2004, 11:20:49 AM »

I have a good feeling about your interview, DR Jay, and those are usually correct. But just in case...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD VIBES YOUR WAY[/move]

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2004, 11:22:51 AM »

Back to the galley, Slave!  The captain wants to go water skiing!   :o

Panni

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2004, 11:23:03 AM »

One author even said she planned the whole thing and was living as a housewife in New Jersey!  

...with Elvis.

Jay

« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2004, 11:25:42 AM »

I have a good feeling about your interview, DR Jay, and those are usually correct. But just in case...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD VIBES YOUR WAY[/move]

Thanks, Panni.  I appreciate it!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2004, 11:30:15 AM »

LOL PANNI and James Dean.  :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2004, 11:32:02 AM »

DRMBARNUM the musty John Saxon is on his way to your mailbox!

And DRJASON - your CD will show up at MTI on Thursday or so!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2004, 11:45:30 AM »

I interviewed for a job that I am very interested in the week before last and just got a call from the potential boss inviting me back to meet with his boss, some potential peers, and several potential direct reports.

So keep your fingers crossed!

FINGERS ARE CROSSED!  

I can't imagine you won't get the job.
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD VIBES![/move]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 11:49:40 AM by Jane »

Jay

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2004, 11:47:58 AM »

Thanks, Dear Reader Jane.

It really is so nice to have so many caring friends here at HHW.com.  Thank you, Dear BK, for making it possible.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2004, 11:57:29 AM »

By the way, this is old news, but I had a lovely time at BK's Christmas party on Dec. 24th.  Usually I sort of dread parties where I don't know anyone, but I had a great time at that one because everyone was so open and easy to talk to.  And the spaghetti was great.  Now I'm craving DR Jose's cookies.  rrrrrrr....

Jane

« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2004, 12:02:18 PM »

Ben the London landmark looks beautiful.

Dare I say this here?  We don’t collect DVD’s.  The only one we wish to own is the new special edition of Casablanca.  Often if I think of a DVD I want to rent and if it isn’t available I forget about it.  Not very clever of me but there is always something else to watch.  Mentioning Sambo reminds me I would like a DVD of The Amos and Andy shows.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2004, 12:05:33 PM »

Joy I can’t make any suggestions, however, I can send you good vibes in finding the perfect selections for your audition. :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2004, 12:10:32 PM »

I really don't and won't buy that many DVDs. I spend more time listening to music than watching movies. I will certainly buy "Star" when it it released. It would be wonderful if some of those "made for TV" musicals were to be released on DVD. I would certainly buy "Applause" and "Evening Primose" would be  a must have. "Barnum" with Michael Crawford should surely get a DVD release too. The UK production of "Buddy" would also be another worthwhile release.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2004, 12:11:44 PM »

Best OZ vibes for you Jay.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2004, 12:13:23 PM »

Best OZ vibes for you Jay.

Thanks, DR Tomovoz!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2004, 12:13:35 PM »

Slowly getting through the notes...

RE: American Idol- Haven't watched it yet, I will as soon as I get my warzone picked up. Jennifer, my mom said the same thing; While the awful auditions are funny, she had wanted to see more talent.

Joy: It's sad, but I've never even HEARD of the songs you listed (!!!). But I hope your audition goes well! Just relax and try to shine :).

Jay: Good luck with your possible job! ~~~~~ Vibes for you :).

My list is kind of nonexistent. Most of the movies that I've seen in my short lifetime have already come out on DVD. I'd love to GET some of the Rat Pack movies from the 80's, like Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club for DVD, but I'm sure they're already out.

Last night I went to the mall with some friends, and we were planning on leaving when it closed, at 10.

Apparently the mall closes at 9:30.

So we found a very nice security man and he drove us to a local restaurant in a police car to wait for our ride. His name was Luke and he has 3 daughters, and he was just SO proud of us for not walking on our own, for finding him, etc. It was a nice little talk.

Back to the notes...
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2004, 12:14:41 PM »

Hey, Mad Magazine fans....remember "Greeting Cards We Would Like to See?"

Let's do some!

"Hat's Off to Your New Hairpiece!"

"We Were Both Nominated -
  But I Hope You Win!"

Jay

« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2004, 12:16:49 PM »

Hey Swish!  Thanks for the good thoughts.

Just wondering...was this your first ride in a police car?

Jane

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2004, 12:19:33 PM »

So we found a very nice security man and he drove us to a local restaurant in a police car to wait for our ride. His name was Luke and he has 3 daughters, and he was just SO proud of us for not walking on our own, for finding him, etc. It was a nice little talk.

Good vibes to Luke for keeping our Swishy Sarah safe.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2004, 12:21:54 PM »

I've ridden in a police car twice and a fire truck twice.  Anyone else?

Jane

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2004, 12:34:47 PM »

I slid down the fire pole but have never ridden in the truck.  How fun!  Gosh, I hope it was just for fun.  Were the sirens going?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 12:42:03 PM by Jane »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up