Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UNSEEMLY BUTTO  (Read 26209 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE UNSEEMLY BUTTO
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2004, 10:42:09 AM »

LOL! Oh TCB I am so glad that you didn't stay away for too long!

Ben

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2004, 10:42:29 AM »

Remember Dear Readers, no groaning allowed  ;) (See TCB's remark on the previous page)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 10:43:00 AM by Ben »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2004, 10:44:20 AM »

Perhaps, BK, you should rent out a bowling alley for a party on Sunday, February 1.

For food, you could have Clam Chowder, Minnestrone, and Borscht.  On the front of the invitations you could put ...........

(get ready for this one)

SOUP?

OR

BOWL?

You are really, really, really (that is three reallys) pushing the limits of the ordinances against groaning here, Dear Reader TCB.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2004, 10:47:58 AM »

We had so many things to do and only 15 days so we let that one slide off the list. A friend of mine said it was one of the most fascinating places he saw in all of London. I will put it at the top of the list for the next visit.

Have you tried The Toy Museum?

Well worth a few hours.

der Brucer (who also recalls a Museum of Terror or Horror (or whatever) in the bowels of some warehouses on the East Bank of the Thames) (and also remembers some Gay clubs with similar decor 8)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2004, 10:54:16 AM »

Der Brucer certainly knows where to find the boys and the booze.  :-\

I would think that Mammy Yokum would say that Daisy Mae's horizons are broad enough!   :-* :-*

DRWEL - My Joan McCracken book is on the way, I have never heard of the GOLDEN LADIES book, but oh my!  And of course, you can't slander a dead person, so the author can write as he/she wishes.  I had heard something like the Jeannette story you tell, but it could have been a review of said book.  I am a bit put out at the Norma Shearer story - don't believe that one - but then again....I think I will buy it and read it for myself.  ;)

Thanks for Hitchcock link Dr. Carl - I saw that episode for the first time last year!  :o

DR MBARNUM I forgot to ask you, when you were out until 4 am! last Friday at the Egyptian restaurant, did you have any of the bobaganoush?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 10:54:57 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2004, 10:59:44 AM »

DR MBARNUM I forgot to ask you, when you were out until 4 am! last Friday at the Egyptian restaurant, did you have any of the bobaganoush?

He was my waiter!

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2004, 11:04:58 AM »

BK, I believe the game you are is Balderdash, a/k/a The Dictionary Game.  
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2004, 11:07:54 AM »

By the way, y'all, I updated my bio, which was nonexistent before.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2004, 11:07:56 AM »

Jrand53 - I don't think I know any of the people you mentioned, Why do you ask?

Ben

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2004, 11:08:19 AM »

DerBrucer, The Toy Museum will also be on the list for next visit. I have been on previous sojourns to London but Anthony had other things on the list he wanted to do so since we had gone to the Bethnal Green Museum we rearranged our schedule and put that off till next time.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2004, 11:08:33 AM »

Oh my, DRWEL, the reviewers were NOT kind to the author of THE GOLDEN GIRLS OF MGM.  In fact, one wrote that he gave up when she annouced that the honeymoon yacht of Jeanette McDonald  sailed up to the pier in Pasadena!

LOL MBARNUM....I thought so...everything is on the menu in those fancy eatin' places.

DRJOY - if you haven't read Frances Farmer's book (see above) check the library....there are some good passages that make some monologs in there!

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2004, 11:08:47 AM »

Der Brucer:  London Dungeon

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2004, 11:10:03 AM »

DRPANNI - Jo was a stand-in for Miss Allison Hayes when she shot a movie in Canada and Steve played her son in the same picture...."Wolf Dog."

I will have to adjust the picture later before I post....I put us into Naturama!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 11:13:42 AM by JRand53 »

Panni

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2004, 11:20:21 AM »

Have made a wonderful discovery at Trader Joe's: frozen roast chestnuts imported ftom Italy. 2-3 minutes in the microwave and you have roast chestnuts! I'm in heaven. Obviously not as delicious as freshly roasted chestnuts, but far less trouble - no explosions, for one thing. And I can just say to myself, "Myself, how's 'bout some roast chestnuts?" And two minutes later - voila. Did I say I was in heaven?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2004, 11:22:52 AM »

My favourite Nicholson performance may well be in "About Schmidt" where he plays against "type".

That is also my favorite. :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2004, 11:24:42 AM »

By the way, y'all, I updated my bio, which was nonexistent before.

y'all???  Joy, are you and Noel living in the South Bronx?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2004, 11:24:53 AM »

The SEEMLY BUTTOs:

Past:

Present:

Sometimes stars need to be kept on the set:

Why do I think DR Jane:

der Brucer (sparing DRs the posting of his Butto)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2004, 11:30:09 AM »

My eyes!  My eyes!

Emily

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2004, 11:30:37 AM »

Hey guys!

I did not watch much of the SOTU yesterday because it started to depress me right around the time Bushie said "Iraq had the potential to create weapons of mass destruction" (ooh the important emphasis switch from "has" to "might have" is terrifying)

Canadian Knowledge of the US and Vice Versa

It says a lot about just HOW infiltrated American culture is when I can remember going to see the Parliament buildings with a school group when I was in grade five and when the tour guide was asking us if we knew who the first Prime Minister of Canada was quite a few kids in the class answered "GEORGE WASHINGTON"!!!

And you wonder why we need a Ministry of Culture and Heritage!!! :S
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jane

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2004, 11:30:53 AM »

Funny, I just ran across a cover story from one of those New York City small publications, where Meloni face graces the cover.  Must scan and downsize.  Remind me later.

Dear Reader Jane:  IT'S TODAY ! ! ! (hint:  she's 13)

I didn't forget.  I was about to post.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY MINX!.   What special treat did she get today?  Echo will be nine on March 9th.

Emily

« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2004, 11:32:05 AM »

Tell me at least SOME of you Yanks know the correct answer!!!  Humour me if need be...

BTW... DR Jennifer, you should be ashamed of yourself.  The last name of our former PM does indeed take an accent on the first e.

"é"
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

DERBRUCER

« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2004, 11:36:15 AM »

Der Brucer:  London Dungeon

I presume you mean the museum :)

der Brucer (the club was called "The Cellar" and was in the basement under a very hip disco called "Heaven", just off of Trafalger Square :-X)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2004, 11:41:45 AM »

Ben...I kept putting off the War Rooms too, because I just do not have that nostalgia for WWII that so many seem to have today, but when I finally went, it was...Why did I wait so long?  Of course, London having been bombed during WWII, the war is still very much alive there in the national consciousness and much more intimate.  I also found St. Paul's quite moving in that respect...there is a fabulous photo of the Dome of St. Paul's emerging out black clouds of bomb smoke.  It is now commemorated on my fridge in the form of a magnet.

Joy's right, Der Brucer, the London Dungeon on the South bank of the Thames in an area known as Southwark, I believe.  It's amusing...

I've never done Pollock's Toy Museum, but I hardily recommend the Theatre Museum in Covent Garden and the tour of the National Theatre...both a must for any theatre buff's.  And the Actor's Church in Covent Garden-- another St. Paul's Church, designed by Inigo Jones.  It's full of plaques and benches commemorating actors gone on to their reward.

I want to do a tour of the Haymarket Theatre as well, which is my favourite theatre in the West End.

Now I'm getting excited; I've been plotting this week our annual jaunt to London in a few months.  so now I'm even more fired up.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2004, 11:45:22 AM »

"Actors gone on to their reward...."  Is that TVLand?

Jane

« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2004, 11:49:55 AM »

Have made a wonderful discovery at Trader Joe's: frozen roast chestnuts imported ftom Italy. 2-3 minutes in the microwave and you have roast chestnuts! I'm in heaven. Obviously not as delicious as freshly roasted chestnuts, but far less trouble - no explosions, for one thing. And I can just say to myself, "Myself, how's 'bout some roast chestnuts?" And two minutes later - voila. Did I say I was in heaven?

Have you tried the ones in the jar from Williama-Sonoma?  If so, how do they compare?  I have been told that Trader Joes frozen cheese blintzes are very good.  Since we can’t get Trader Joes to open a store in our are I don’t buy their frozen foods.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2004, 11:50:51 AM »

I have only been to London once - and I would go again!  My first impression was that all that history was all bunched up together - even in DC it is a good walk from one place to another - but in London you turn around and there is Buckingham Palace....a turn around and there is the Tower....Hyde Park, right there - it was history overload!!!  And the pubs!  And the theatres....and I still remember walking into a Men's Store so a friend could get a jacket, and a man following us and telling the clerk:  "I would like to see something in men's underpants."  

Jane

« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2004, 11:52:48 AM »

Ben your packages were very pretty & festive.  Did I see a plum pudding or Christmas cake?  I was intrigued by the number of rolled gifts.  What were those?

DERBRUCER thanks for the beautiful picture and great story.  I would love to meet Charlie.

TCB you could have been in vaudeville.   :-\

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2004, 11:57:07 AM »

The transportation methods:
Fire engine? no
Police car? no
Limo? yes (prom)
Submarine? yes (My dad was a nuclear physicist on the subs in the Navy after graduating from the Naval Academy)
NYC cabs? yes (haha Uncle Woody :))
Dear Niece Laura II: What year did your father graduate from Annapolis?  Because der Brucer is also a graduate!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2004, 11:58:07 AM »

BTW... DR Jennifer, you should be ashamed of yourself.  The last name of our former PM does indeed take an accent on the first e.

"é"

Isn't that what I said (that the first "e" has an accent)?

Panni

« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2004, 12:05:39 PM »

Have you tried the ones in the jar from Williama-Sonoma?
I've always assumed they were more for baking. And, as I recall, they're horribly expensive. These were only $3.99.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up