Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PAP SMEAR  (Read 73243 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE PAP SMEAR
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2007, 07:32:39 AM »

No spelunking in the rain today.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2007, 07:33:06 AM »

I got up early enough this morning to get the newspaper read, clean the dining room (running one day behind since the plumber was here yesterday and I had to clean bathrooms that were grungy from water back-up), and watch last night's CSI: MIAMI.

I was furious that Ryan was featured in one scene only, but it looks like from what happened in the rest of the episode that there will be a spot for him to rejoin  the lab.

The Tim Speedle story made my blood boil. I felt it was ineptly handled.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2007, 07:33:16 AM »

Very appropriate Song of the Day from DR ARNOLD BROCKMAN chosen for the WOD by MR BK.

Amazing how that works.

FJL

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2007, 07:33:23 AM »

Info on gout.  I especially love the expression "exquisitely painful big toe."  :)

I had thought to rule out gout in this particular situation because in the past my gout attacks have been two days at most and over.  

"GOUT sneaks up on its victims quietly. Many patients are first stricken in the middle of the night with an aching, throbbing, and exquisitely painful big toe. Usually the afflicted joint is swollen, red, and tender and, if the attack continues, the victim can develop fever and chills. Many people later realize that their first attack was stimulated or at least preceded by a bumped toe, surgery, too much alcohol, overeating or fasting, or medications such as penicillin, insulin, or certain "water pills" or diuretics. In fact, all or some of these factors can be implicated.

Most gout victims are male. In fact nearly 90 percent of people who suffer from gout are men over the age of thirty. But women are not immune, particularly if they are taking medications, such as those for hypertension that can predispose them to the condition."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2007, 07:33:49 AM »

Good Morning! Once again...

Back from the gym...  Guess it's time for me to go to a fitting now.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2007, 07:34:35 AM »

Today I'll be watching the upcoming release of DAYS OF HEAVEN on Criterion. As one of the most gorgoeusly shot movies in the history of cinema, I'm eager to see what Criterion has done with it. I haven't seen it since watching it at the movies when it first came out, so it's going to seem new to me.

Matt H.

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2007, 07:36:38 AM »

I'd also like to get Sunday night's DEXTER watched before I start on DAYS OF HEAVEN.

Tonight, due to the baseball playoffs, neither BONES nor HOUSE is being shown, but I'm going to watch an episode of NCIS in high def to see how it compares to those miserable-looking 480p transfers I endured over the weekend. Maybe the series is supposed to look that soft and grainy. I'll find out tonight.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2007, 07:38:06 AM »

Otherwise, my first trip to the gym was quite painless.  -Tomorrow, however, will most likely be a different story...  I went ahead and did the their "Express" circuit - 8 different Nautilus machines.  I did a "light" workout, but since I really haven't worked out in a while, I'm guessing I'll be a little sore tomorrow.  Which is to be expected.  But, as long as I remember to stretch throughout the day today and keep hydrated I should be OK.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2007, 07:40:12 AM »

Bobby Cannavalle had a wonderful string of movies and TV shows there a couple of years ago. Besides winning the Emmy playing Will's boy friend on WILL & GRACE, he was also in that wonderful film with Peter Dinklage, THE STATION AGENT.

Ginny

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2007, 07:41:39 AM »

Whew!  Scott and his brother Rob have been here and gotten the furnace going.  Now it's getting a little warm in here...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2007, 07:44:28 AM »

I've always said Chaplin's CITY LIGHTS is among the greatest movies ever made, but if I just want to laugh at a silent movie, I will go to his underrated THE CIRCUS every time.

Keaton's SHERLOCK, JR. is my favorite film of his though many are amazing collections of stunts and set-ups that always pay off.

We talked about SUNRISE last week, and I do think it's one of the great silent dramas. I'd love to see THE BIG PARADE. I've never seen it, but it has always sounded really good.

POTEMKIN is very powerful.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2007, 07:45:10 AM »

DR Elmore, it's in the mail (as of 9am yesterday)!

DR Ginny, thank you so much!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2007, 07:46:56 AM »

TOD:  I like long stretches of Tati's Playtime, and, as I professed here some weeks ago, any fan of Tati (or films of that ilk, if there even is a Tati-esque ilk  ;D ) should love, love, love L'Iceberg.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2007, 07:47:18 AM »

Tonight is the next-to-last episode of DAMAGES. I read that FX has picked up this Glenn Close series for another season. I'm glad because it has been an excellent whodunit/drama (it's about lawyers and an upcoming trial, but we've barely been inside a courtoom).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2007, 07:47:26 AM »

Well, since I seem to be "motivated" right now, I believe I'm finally gonna tackle my room.  It shouldn't take too long to clean, it just something that needs to be done.  Now!  There have been a few times over the past couple of days where I've literally laughed - mainly from incredulity - when I've walked into my room - there's just so much "stuff" piled up on the floor of my room and on my desk.  There's really not much that needs to be cleaned, just a lot of stuff that needs to be put away and tidied up.  So...

Pray for Rosemary's Baby.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2007, 07:48:27 AM »

Of Tati's "big three", MON ONCLE is my least favorite. I still find them weird and wonderful, but I have to be in the mood to watch them.

FJL

« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2007, 07:48:39 AM »

Many thanks for all the pain-free vibes.

Funny how gout is often seen as one of those things that the person brings on himself.  I'm hoping that it's not a gout attack, because I've always been fine with them in the past knowing that they only last a day or two.  But this has been going on a while now.  On the other hand, it may need a change in diet, which I'd hate but would be good for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2007, 07:50:36 AM »

Tidy Vibes for the newly exercised (not exOrcised) JOSE.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2007, 07:50:55 AM »

DR JMK - isn't there a slight Sidney Lumet-Frances Farmer connection somewhere?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2007, 07:51:40 AM »

Fred, cherry juice is very good for gout. I also find that when my tissues get inflammed it really helps to flush them out by drinking a LOT of water (2-4 qts over one day, but not a lot with meals). There's scientific evidence for this, but I won't bore you. I've used this approach many times and with great success.

Also, for JANE, TCB, FJL, and any others with pain problems, Tyler (now under the label Integrative Therapeutics) makes a TRAUMAGESIC COMPLEX, which is a combination of enzymes and herbs, which I keep on hand at all times for back and neck flare-ups. It's available from Willner Chemists, two NY locations: 100 Park Ave or 253 Broadway OR mail-order 800-633-1106 OR willner.com. Believe me, I've tried many things for pain, including some pretty strong drugs, but Traumagesic is my favorite. It's about $16 for 90 capsules. Not a prescription; available over-the-counter.

And, SINGDAW, Willner is also a good place to buy homeopathic remedies. They're probably the largest supplier of supplements in the US and their pharmacists will answer questions and otherwise help out if they're not too busy. A great resource!

FJL

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2007, 07:51:43 AM »

Gout is actually in a lyric in "1776" - Franklin sings "A farmer, a lawyer and a sage, a bit gouty in the leg" in the song "The Egg"

FJL

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2007, 07:54:59 AM »

Jeanne - Is cranberry juice as useful for gout as cherry juice?  I really like cranberry juice, so that would be an excuse to have lots of it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2007, 07:57:29 AM »

TOD:

MR HULOT'S HOLIDAY was a great revelation to me when I saw it in my early twenties with filmmaker boyfriend who just adored it. Like MATTH, MON UNCLE was my least favorite. And, also like MATTH, I suspect I need to be in the mood for these films.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2007, 07:58:47 AM »

But the TOD was really about silents, wasn't it? Oh, well. I'd have to give that some thought. The Chaplins, of course. Nothing else springs to mind.

FJL

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2007, 08:00:23 AM »

Another mention of gout in "1776" is when Ben Franklin says:  "I wish King George felt like my big toe, all over."

(That's how I realized what I had the first time I had a gout attack.)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2007, 08:01:27 AM »

TOD:  I like long stretches of Tati's Playtime, and, as I professed here some weeks ago, any fan of Tati (or films of that ilk, if there even is a Tati-esque ilk  ;D ) should love, love, love L'Iceberg.

I'm going to see if I can snag a copy from First Run.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2007, 08:04:09 AM »

Jeanne - Is cranberry juice as useful for gout as cherry juice?  I really like cranberry juice, so that would be an excuse to have lots of it.

Fred, I don't know if cranberry juice would do the same thing. The problem is that you're too acidic--most of us are. So you want to alkalinize, which you do by eating lots of fruit and veg. I'd say try the cranberry juice and see what happens. But I'd also do some cherry juice because it has such a great reputation for this. Another thing you can do is take the juice of half a lemon (fresh, please! not those plastic things) in a glass of water three times a day (or however many times you can manage). The lemon juice goes in acid, but leaves an alkaline ash, thus alkalinizing the system. My friend Ed Callaway, a wholistic pharmacist, SWEARS by this. I do it daily.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2007, 08:06:02 AM »

Another mention of gout in "1776" is when Ben Franklin says:  "I wish King George felt like my big toe, all over."

(That's how I realized what I had the first time I had a gout attack.)

;D Medical diagnosis from musical comedy. Whatever works!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2007, 08:07:53 AM »

Watermelon juice is also a great alkalinizer. A bit out of season, though.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2007, 08:08:10 AM »

Is it in the toe or heel area, FJL?

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up