Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PROMISES, PROMISES  (Read 22141 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:PROMISES, PROMISES
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2004, 09:45:42 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GOOD VIBES, JASON![/move]

Now, why can't I get that to work from home???
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 09:47:06 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2004, 09:48:29 AM »

Jason - Good vibes your way.

Joy - Too bad about the audition! Next time.

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2004, 09:48:56 AM »

DR Emily your smiley didn't get posted, only the link.

I have a grill. It is not a George Foreman. I cannot remember the exact name. But don't many people call their grills "george foreman grills", just because that is a name that most people recognize for that type of grill (like kleenex :))

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2004, 09:49:10 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]E X C E L L E N T      V I B E S      TO      JASON   [/move]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 09:51:31 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jason

« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2004, 09:49:36 AM »

Joy: Been there, done that with AEA. Those hateful bitches. :-) It'll happen for us one day...

Thanks, everyone, for the vibes!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2004, 09:50:18 AM »

I've written Mark about the photo thing.  We had it happen before - we just have to go into the really old posts on the board and delete photos.

Jennifer

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2004, 09:52:47 AM »

Yeah emily's smiley works now!

Good vibes to DR Jason ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'd like to send good vibes to the mailman, to bring my package today!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2004, 09:53:35 AM »

Holy moley on rye we are LOADED with people.  Look at all the users, look at all the GUESTS.  Soon we will be the most popular site on all the Internet.

And welcome to our latest registered user - annabelera.  I believe I know this person and if so, HOWDY!  C'mon in and join our merry troupe!

Emily

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2004, 09:57:09 AM »

[Whining Alert]

wahhh...

The big new hampshire debate tonight is only going to broadcast on FoxNews.  

I don't HAAAAAAAVVVVVVVEEE FoxNews (really... why would the DEMOCRATS be debating on a notoriously right wing channel?)

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2004, 09:59:03 AM »

BK, I think we are now living in a time close to McCarthy Era, where dissent is repressed:  "Criticize the President and you're a traitor."  And the Joe McCarthy's of the government also have their minions in the media...the Sean Hannitys, Rush Limbaughs, Anne Coulters, Bill O'Reillys...very scary time.

I don't eat fish.  I'll eat tuna and occasionally a piece of very generic white fish, battered to Hell and back, but that's it...I especially will not eat any shellfish...so no recipes.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2004, 10:02:27 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Sending strong vibes to Dear Reader Jason!!![/move]
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2004, 10:04:20 AM »

OKLAHOMA! was on Decca, not RCA.  It was originally released in 2 volumes.  Volume 1 had the majority of the score but Volume 2 had "It's a Scandal, It's A Outrage", "Lonely Room", and a 2-sided "The Farmer and the Cowman".

Yer right - pix don't lie (often)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2004, 10:04:58 AM »

For the recipes are we considering seafood fish?

I LOVE seafood. Shrimp and lobster especially.  I actually miss Red Lobster (that used to be only blocks away).  And the Vieux Pecheur (which DR Emily probably knows) used to be a family favorite before it closed.  I want seafood!

Coquille St Jacques is also yummy.

Jay

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2004, 10:05:29 AM »

Mr. Bush's call for renewal of the so-called "Patriot" act, which conveniently ignores both the spirit and the letter of several of the amendments in our Bill of Rights, is one of the occasions on which I sent a projectile toward my television set the other night.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 10:06:37 AM by Jay »

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2004, 10:06:10 AM »

Btw, has anybody else been singing "promises, promises" all morning?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2004, 10:07:04 AM »

Photo worked.  Hmmm.  Also, the minute I announced we had so many people on the board, half of them left.  THAT'S comedy.

Jay

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2004, 10:15:19 AM »

I am dumbstruck, Dear Readers.  Yesterday I received a completely unsolicited letter from my mortgage lender, which happens to be Citibank.  With the letter was a document that, if I sign it and send it in, will reduce my mortgage rate by 2 5/8 % and save me over $400 per month, with zero attendant costs.  I've known for a while that I really needed to refinance, but with my job situation so up in the air, I had been putting it off in the event that a new job might force me to move.

Banks, especially the big ones, get bashed quite a bit, but here's a good example of a smart one.  When I called this morning to ask a question about one of the details on the document, I also asked why were they doing this?  The lady replied that it was so they could hold on to their customers and keep them happy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2004, 10:19:57 AM »

DR Emily your smiley didn't get posted, only the link.

I have a grill. It is not a George Foreman. I cannot remember the exact name. But don't many people call their grills "george foreman grills", just because that is a name that most people recognize for that type of grill (like kleenex :))

DR Jennifer -- Please, please take my advice and don't buy one of those Kleenex Grills.  There is every reason to believe that they can be highly combustible.  I believe DR Jed had the same problem last evening with one of the Kleenex oven mitts.
“One thing’s universal,

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2004, 10:23:12 AM »

Jay, re: The Patriot Act.  I think the Bush Administration demonstrates in spades that old adage:  "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."

DERBRUCER

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2004, 10:23:42 AM »

... why would the DEMOCRATS be debating on a notoriously right wing channel?

Well, I believe FOX News is helping sponsor the debate and their Brit Hume is a co-host along with some Canadian guy.

der Brucer Who is being solicited by Canadian Conservatives  as follows:

As many of you may have heard, the Conservative Party of Canada has recently acquired former Magna CEO Belinda Stronach as a leadership candidate.  This
presents a great opportunity for Canadian gay conservatives to finally have our views represented.  Ms.Stronach is a strong fiscal conservative who also
is an advocate of gay marriage.

I am supporting Belinda's leadership bid and have agreed to help recruit new members.  Here is why:

The Canadian Alliance element of the new conservative party outnumbers the PC element by a margin of 2 to 1 most of whom will be supporting social
conservative Stephen Harper who is adamently opposed to gay marriage.  This means that if we want to have our views represented within Canadian conservatism we need more socially progressive members.

I have committed to doing everything I can to help increase the number of those who will support a candidate possessing a favourable position on gay
issues.  Please join me in supporting Belinda Stronach.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2004, 10:37:18 AM »

Good morning everyone.
MUCH good vibage to Jason!!!  I can't wait to hear how the audition goes.
I already posted my fish recipie, so not much else to say...off to choir now.  
Oh, good vibes also to DR Jed who I believe is having his car towed in today.  Many vibes for low repair costs...

Ben

« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2004, 10:38:03 AM »

Perhaps I will try to post my England picture now.

Anthony the actor is always looking for new advertising opportunities and in England he found one with the ubiquitous Fairy Washing Up Liquid. It's endorsed by Buckingham Palace (or so it says on a portion of the bottle) hence the ad copy "For a royal wash" and "Preferred by Queens everywhere"

The shot was taken in the kitchen of our London apartment

Ben

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2004, 10:39:04 AM »

Also, WONDERFUL, GREAT AND HUGE VIBES TO JASON

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DERBRUCER

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2004, 10:52:29 AM »

BK, I think we are now living in a time close to McCarthy Era, where dissent is repressed:  "Criticize the President and you're a traitor."  

Well, if that's true, us Log Cabin folks are in a heap of do-do (to use a Michael Jackson phrase).

Here is our not too supportive reply to the SOTU:

Log Cabin responds to State of the Union address:

A culture war is a recipe for defeat

(Washington) -  In response to the President's State of the Union address Tuesday night, Log Cabin Republicans warn the President that engaging in a culture war is a recipe for defeat.  

"George W. Bush was elected in 2000 by bringing Americans together. State of the Union addresses should be used to unite all Americans around the nation's highest priorities.   Americans are threatened by terrorism and job uncertainty - not gay and lesbian families," said Log Cabin executive director Patrick Guerriero.  

"Log Cabin Republicans have stood with this President in the war on terror. Log Cabin supports the President on cutting taxes for American families and expanding efforts to combat HIV/AIDS at home and abroad.  Log Cabin will not stand by while anyone attempts to write discrimination into the Constitution.  It is unnecessary and it cheapens our sacred Constitution," added Guerriero.

In the State of the Union address on Tuesday evening, the President defended the sanctity of marriage then said the Defense of Marriage Act may not go far enough in protecting marriage.  The President said, "Activist judges, however, have begun redefining marriage by court order, without regard for the will of the people and their elected representatives. On an issue of such great consequence, the people's voice must be heard. If judges insist on forcing their arbitrary will upon the people, the only alternative left to the people would be the constitutional process."

Log Cabin supports efforts to strengthen marriages and all American families.  Denying gay and lesbian families civil protections with a Constitutional amendment weakens those efforts.  The Republican Party has always championed family values.  Log Cabin reminds our fellow Republicans that if you truly support family values you must value all families.

"The mission of Log Cabin is greater than one President or one issue. Last night's speech shows us how much work remains in our effort to build a more inclusive GOP. To be the majority party, the GOP must be built on a foundation of freedom, fairness and equality---for all Americans," concluded Guerriero.

Andrew Sullivan is so out-raged by the SOTU that he is even thinking Democrat!

He wrote a blistering op-ed for the New Republic.

He then added in his own blog:

It was the worst Bush SOTU yet. Maybe the occasion wasn't up to the previous ones. But the speech lacked a real theme; it had only a few good lines (at the beginning, on the war); offered no new vision or any concrete future direction in foreign policy; and revealed complete insouciance toward the deficit and, more importantly, toward those who have not yet benefited from the economic recovery. A pretty bad political misjudgment in my view. To brag about a growing economy without some kind of passage of empathy for those still struggling reveals major political obtuseness. I was also struck by how hard right the president was on social policy. $23 million for drug-testing children in schools? A tirade against steroids? (I'm sure Tom Brady was thrilled by that camera shot.) More public money for religious groups? Abstinence only for prevention of STDs? Whatever else this president is, he is no believer in individuals' running their own lives without government regulation, control or aid. If you're a fiscal conservative or a social liberal, this was a speech that succeeded in making you take a second look at the Democrats. I sure am.

der Brucer (who also finds the potential for abuse in the Patriot Act terrifying)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2004, 10:53:44 AM »

Thank you MattH and der Brucer for the responses to my question.  With those in mind, and another cup of coffee to jolt the brain cells, I do remember, now, that when I was a child, we had a family friend who was a speech pathologist.  One day over at her house, I noticed that her portable record player had another speed (which was probably 16).  She said that it was used for teaching children who had speech problems because it elongated the syllables.

By the way, (BTW in internet lingo) we just received notice from our cultural diversity supervisor that today is the start of Chinese New Year, which is the Year of the Monkey.

Does that mean, that if I have a really bad year, then I can go ahead and spank the………  :-X

“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2004, 10:53:52 AM »

Thanks to Mr. Mark Bakalor for a speedy fix to our photo problem.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2004, 10:55:44 AM »

BK, I think we are now living in a time close to McCarthy Era, where dissent is repressed
Sometimes my Canadian citizenship just warms the cockles of my heart...

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2004, 10:59:15 AM »

Are seafood recipes fish?  Are seafood recipes fish?

TCB, you are very funny :)

Okay I will stop using my kleenex grill immediately.

And can someone explain how a dish towel can catch on fire?  (I never use dishtowels to get stuff out of the oven, but I was surprised it caught on fire).

Btw, I used to set off my smoke detector all the time when I made bacon (the alarm company loved me).

Oh and for anyone who wants a laugh, imagine cooking bacon and having the smoke detector go off. The alarm company calls and asks for your password, which you cannot remember.  Do alarm companies think robbers answer the phone?  Oh, and do arsonists?  I told her I was just making bacon! :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2004, 10:59:37 AM »

Well, der Brucer, I don't know if Tom Brady was thrilled by that particular camera shot, but I know that I was thrilled!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 11:13:44 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2004, 10:59:37 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D  :D   :D   ;)   :)   8)   ;D   :o   8)   :D   ;)  [/move]
vibes of the positive sort for Jason!

In the paper today I see that Oklahoma will be coming to Portland next month. Didn't say who was in it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up