Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: BUBBLE AND SQUEAK  (Read 30811 times)

singdaw

Re:BUBBLE AND SQUEAK
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 06:05:17 AM »

Bubble & Squeak?  ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 06:07:06 AM »

I'm going to Omaha with a client late this morning. It's the first  asylum interview for one of my clients and I believe this one is especially deserving so I'm hoping it's going to go well.

Rumor earlier this week was the least favorite asylum officer from Chicago was doing the interviews this week, so I did my best to totally prepare my client for whatever could happen.  I have many more of these coming up, so getting this first one under my belt is a big deal for me.  

I don't do much at the interview, but making sure my client is prepared for the questions is incredibly important and I had to do this one without ever experiencing exactly what questions may be asked.  There is no list, it's just up to the Asylum officer.  

singdaw

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 06:07:24 AM »

bk, thanks for the screen shot comparisons last evening...very interesting.

You'd think that someone can/would come up with some sort of color standardization scheme for film color hue, density, & saturation.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 06:10:19 AM by singdaw »

singdaw

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 06:08:38 AM »

bk - Do you want the score or vocal selections version of "Lost In the Wilderness"?

I have both.

singdaw

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2007, 06:11:23 AM »

DR Cillaliz - hope things continue well with the kitties AND that your client's interview goes well today!  :)

singdaw

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2007, 06:11:51 AM »

I know what "bubble & squeak" is.  

What are wacky noodles?

singdaw

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2007, 06:12:25 AM »

WOD: today's unseemly film acting style

singdaw

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2007, 06:15:25 AM »

DR Edisaurus - lovely story about your dinner.  I used to do that in a much less costly way.  I'd occasionally pay at the toll booth both for me and the car behind me.  It was fun; many times, the driver would try to catch up to see who had paid their toll for them.  And I wasn't looking in the rearview mirror to see what they looked like first!

Of course EZ Pass has done away with this little game.

singdaw

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2007, 06:18:06 AM »

TOD:  I was only 3 months old at the time.

I haven't done any reading on the topic, so am not qualified to offer an opinion on conspiracy.  However, from what I've heard, I am dubious about some of the Warren Commission's conclusions.  That wacky bullet trajectory, for example...

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2007, 06:20:29 AM »

I was in first grade, and becazsue of school overcrowding we had 1/2 day school in kindergarten and 1st grade, I was inthe morning session so I was outdoors playing when the news came down.  I do not remember specificaly being told that JFK was shot  but I remember watching the funeral.

I was aware of JFK despite my youth because I am the same age as Caroline and my younger brother was born the same year as John Jr  , we used to be constantly compared to them by our parents

(Do you think Caroline Kennedy uses table manners likr that when she eats in the White House?!)

And my very Catholic across the street neighbors (they had a baby every year like clockwork, they had 13 kids and the mom was pregnant when we moved away) all the kids went to Catholic school... were very proud of the first Catholic president, they had a big picture of JFK hanging on their living room wall right next to the pictures of Jesus and Mary.... and my friends  Mary Ann  and her sister Barbara Jean
would brag constantly about the Catholoc comnnection while I would retort with the age relationship! (4, 5, & 6 year old girls!!)

my that was a random wander down memory lane... anyway.............

I have no real theory, although I find it hard to believe it was just one guy....  I did propose  a theory in jest one time  - that Jackie Kennedy arranged to have the Mafia knock him off because of his philandering ways.....

and now to work  
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2007, 06:22:45 AM »

I will have to have WFO log in today he may have some interesting views to impart on this topic....

vixmom

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2007, 06:24:17 AM »

my car has been starting weakly the past few mornings and the bells have sounded weak and feeble, stopped in at my local mechanic after dropping the Vixter at school... left 45 minutes later with a new battery two new terminals and less $195.00......

vixmom

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2007, 06:24:33 AM »

time to work

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2007, 06:25:18 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  After several gloomy, rainy days, it's a gloriously sunny autumn morning here in SW Ohio.

TOD - my day was almost identical to that of DR JRand on Nov. 22, 1963, except it was a math teacher who was in tears.  My parents picked me up from school and we spent most of the next several days in front of the TV.  Sunday, Nov. 24, was my parents' 23rd wedding anniversary and christening day for their first grandchild, my DN Laura.  We'd all been to church and were sitting around the dining room table after lunch, with the TV on (which never happened during mealtime in our household) when Ruby shot Oswald.  Seeing that live sure brought the festivities to a halt.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2007, 06:31:56 AM »

You'd think that someone can/would come up with some sort of color standardization scheme for film color hue, density, & saturation.

I have no knowledge of these transfer issues at all but I have heard this definition of an acronym regarding formats of VHS and DVD transfers.

As many of you know the U.S. has a system different from much of the rest of the world, it's called NTSC (many other countries use something called PAL). If a tape or DVD is in PAL and your television and/or VCR/DVD player only recognizes NTSC you can't watch your program, but that's neither here nor there.

NTSC (as I've heard and seen on various sites) Never The Same Color
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 06:32:12 AM by Ben »

FJL

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2007, 07:00:19 AM »

td - Maryann Lopinto really does seem to know the proverbial everyone.  A number of times, I've been about to introduce someone to Maryann, and they'll say "Oh, yes, I know Maryann" or words to that effect.

Maryann also came up with one of my all-time favorite twists on an idiom.  She referred to an event she enjoyed immensely as being "filled to the raptures," rather than filled to the rafters.  She says she said it by accident, but I loved the thought of it and have been trotting it out (crediting it to Maryann, of course) whenever possible.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2007, 07:13:51 AM »

Good morning!@

Rainy and cool which is fine and dandy by me. We need the rain, and I need the cooler temperatures.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2007, 07:19:43 AM »

There are numerous problems with this. First, film elements that come to the transfer houses vary greatly in quality, so they have to do what they can with what they have at hand. More importantly, the people behind the scenes twisting the knobs varies with every house, and each of them has his own agenda. I think it was on the GONE WITH THE WIND box set, there was a featurette about the Ultra-Resolution process that was being used to remaster GWTW for that 4-disc box set. The woman in question flat out said that she deliberately dialed back the color because the original Technicolor hues she started with were too garish for modern eyes. (They showed a clip of her doing this.) Of course, some of us were outraged about this, but our hands are tied. We can write letters, e-mails, and complain, but they own the films, and they're going to do what they please.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2007, 07:22:55 AM »

DR Ben, your description gave me chills because I was at home sick that day as well. My mom was in the kitchen cooking or ironing or something, and I was walking by the den where the TV was on. My mom asked me, "What are they saying on TV?" I answered, "Oh, something about the president being shot at." I didn't stop to listen and went back to my room to read a story for English class. I didn't know until some time later that day what had actually happened.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2007, 07:23:51 AM »

As for theories, Didn't Barbara Garson's MACBIRD solve the question once and for all? Lyndon Johnson was behind the conspiracy, wasn't he? ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2007, 07:24:32 AM »

I have the rest of WYATT EARP to finish this afternoon and would like to watch LIFE and CSI: NY from last night, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2007, 07:25:57 AM »

SCRUBS returns tonight for its final season, but I've given up on it. It became so silly and overdone last year that I just couldn't watch everyone acting like idiots any more. So, that saves me another 20 minutes or so. Thursday night is crowded enough as it is.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2007, 07:27:25 AM »

DR Elmore, I read a review of that new holiday box set that contains MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS, and the reviewer was shocked to see that the original title BABES IN TOYLAND has been restored to the film used in the transfer. They were also very complimentary about the way it looked (it's in the original black and white, not the colorized version that is so prevalent.)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2007, 07:30:56 AM »

Good morning, HHW.

TOD:
I was in 10th grade English class when our teacher got the news and announced to the class that President Kennedy had been shot. We were all stunned. Shortly thereafter there was an announcement from the principal.

I have not read the various theories and simply don't know what really happened.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2007, 07:31:18 AM »

Re BUBBLE AND SQUEAK:

I had a vegetarian loaf called Bubble and Squeak once at a long-since-closed restaurant in West Hollywood called The Taming of the Stew. It was really delicious. I believe the orginal Bubble and Squeak is really a sort of meatloaf.  Anyone know for sure?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 07:35:20 AM by Jeanne »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2007, 07:36:43 AM »

Still wrestling with Verizon over getting my landline fixed. 'Nuf said?

Ben

« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2007, 07:55:26 AM »

Bubble and squeak (sometimes just called bubble) is a traditional English dish made with the shallow-fried leftover vegetables from a roast dinner. The chief ingredients are potato and cabbage, but carrots, peas, brussels sprouts, and other vegetables can be added. It is traditionally served with cold meat from the Sunday roast, and pickles. Traditionally the meat was added to the bubble and squeak itself, although nowadays the vegetarian version is more common. The cold chopped vegetables (and cold chopped meat if used) are fried in a pan together with mashed potato until the mixture is well-cooked and brown on the sides. The name is a description of the action and sound made during the cooking process.

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2007, 08:00:07 AM »

Looks and sounds delicious.

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2007, 08:01:03 AM »

Speaking of food, I'm going out to lunch with friends, so I need to think about getting cleaned up for that.

WBBL.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2007, 08:01:23 AM »

And the word of the day is: SUSURROUS!

And The Song Of The Day Is: WHISPERING
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up