Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: BUBBLE AND SQUEAK  (Read 30768 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:BUBBLE AND SQUEAK
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2007, 08:14:10 AM »

And The Song Of The Day Is: WHISPERING

I can only hear Les Paul and Mary Ford doing this one!

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2007, 08:16:34 AM »

I can only hear Les Paul and Mary Ford doing this one!

;)

You got it...and Louis Armstrong too

Ginny

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2007, 08:17:47 AM »

DR Ben's description and photo of Bubble & Squeak remind me our favorite dish cooked by one of the Japanese exchange students we hosted:

Okonomiyaki
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2007, 08:18:57 AM »

I was in a frenzied flurry of busy "busy-ness" yesterday afternoon and never got back to this here site after my last post of the day.

Once home, I went through a few routines -- prepping dinner, checking my DVR cache to ensure a movie had recorded -- and then ate my early din-din.

Around 8:30 p.m., I was done for....went to bed!  (At least one of my "I will nots" was practiced).

Oh!  Oh!...To the obvious relief of many, in general, and S. Woody, in particular, I also did not walk around inside, or outside, my condo in the nude.  

By default, several other "I will nots" were observed, but not deliberately.

I'm up!  I'm well-rested!  And for some odd reason, I feel as if I could take a nap.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 08:19:46 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2007, 08:33:59 AM »

Men are in the attic looking for a dead rat.

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2007, 08:38:06 AM »

I was still in my mom's tummy when Kennedy was shot. I believe my sister was home (sick?) watching TV when the announcement came.

I don't know from the theories.

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2007, 08:40:12 AM »

BK, I believe my friend Diana Darrin plays a stripper or something like that in EXECUTIVE ACTION.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2007, 08:45:42 AM »

No rat anywhere.  Must be in the wall - I hate when those stupid rats get in walls.  So, we'll tough it out, smell-wise - it's almost gone anyway.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2007, 08:55:38 AM »

TOD:  this is one of my very earliest memories, and it is imprinted on me permanently.  I used to walk home for lunch in those days and when I got home my Mother was getting ready to go to a bridge game (in the too much information department, I can even recall she was fastening her panty hose to her girdle, LOL) and she told me what had happened (and it had *just* happened Rocky Mountain time).  At about the same moment, the mailman came for the afternoon delivery (does anyone else remember that there used to be two, count 'em, two deliveries every day--one in the early morning, and one in the early afternoon?).  And she told him, too.  I walked back to school and the news had evidently spread to the teachers in the lounge over lunch.  I went in to my class and my teacher was crying.  About an hour or so after classes recommenced, the Principal came on the loudspeaker, announced it to everyone, and said school was let out early.  We all started running home across the playground and I to this day remember some idiot kid screaming "Maybe they'll shoot Johnson on Monday and we'll miss another day!"
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 08:56:24 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2007, 09:12:28 AM »

I was still in my mom's tummy when Kennedy was shot. I believe my sister was home (sick?) watching TV when the announcement came.

I don't know from the theories.

Looks like you never saw "JFK", either!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2007, 09:14:34 AM »

DR Jane:  I read with commiseration your description of your hand and how the ice pack seemed to help.

OTOH (that's "on the other hand" in Internet lingo...pun UNintended, natch), I have visions of you developing a new career:

Hand model for "Pushing Daisies" and horror film directors.

:D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2007, 09:16:20 AM »

Thanks for the info about Footlight last night, DR George.  I visited the site and found a couple of things I wanted.  And they are duly ordered!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2007, 09:19:09 AM »

Re: color in films and the way restoration "personages" are making uninformed/personal decisions about color...just look at the washed-out resolution that many modern films are espousing to get a sense of what is going on.

One of my "shows" each week is "Supernatural"...and it is one of the least colorful shows on TV.  One could almost imagine it in black-and-white because of its desaturation.  That's the ambience the production team wants, however, and one must accept it or change the channel.

But I'm appalled, I tell you...APPALLED...by the story DR MattH relayed about "Gone With the Wind."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2007, 09:22:00 AM »

I was in band when the principal made the announcement of JFK's assassination.  This was between one and two p.m. that afternoon.

I had one period remaining -- French class -- and we all finished the school day (this was when most folks rode the bus, and the school had to wait for the drivers to arrive).

My mom and I had just gotten home from church and were changing clothes when my dad yelled out that Oswald had been shot.

In the, you-didn't-ask-but-I-am-going-to-tell-you-anyway department:  Those were the days (early 1960s) when parents didn't discuss things with their kids (even though they saw Judge Hardy have such discussions with Andy when they were kids).  I had to  suss out my feelings based on the reactions I saw on the faces of my folks, the reactions of my peers, and what the newscasters had to say about what was happening.  My folks never said one word to me about how I should view what was going on, how I should feel about it, or anything.

I don't know, to this day, whether that was a good thing or not.  I do know, however, that my perspectives about government and world affairs were radically altered by this event, and the coming ones involvking MLK Jr. and RFK, along with the other tumultous doings/cultural changes of the 1960s.

My mom, to this day, wonders how in the world I could hold the views I have considering my upbringing.

;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 09:26:32 AM by Ron Pulliam »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2007, 09:24:05 AM »

DR Elmore, I read a review of that new holiday box set that contains MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIERS, and the reviewer was shocked to see that the original title BABES IN TOYLAND has been restored to the film used in the transfer. They were also very complimentary about the way it looked (it's in the original black and white, not the colorized version that is so prevalent.)

DR MattH, thatnks for the info! I'm delighted they've gone back to the oiginal title, and I'll have to look for a copy.  In 1951 Disney bought the Roach film and planned their own adaptation, and I believe that's when the film lost its original title so it wouldn't conflict with the new.  Of course it then took Disney 10 years to do the flm and it's a mess.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 09:26:08 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2007, 09:29:25 AM »

Despite the liberties/fictions interjected into Oliver Stone's screenplay for "JFK", I -- for one -- believe there is more truth to it than fiction.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 09:40:12 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2007, 09:36:05 AM »

I cannot subscribe to the lone gunman theory.  "Common Sense" prohibits such a subscription, in my opinion.

Bullets are not "intelligent".  Neither are they "willful" nor are they "mercurial."  They go where they are aimed.  They do not enter a man's head, change direction and reenter from a different angle, then ricochet and enter another man's arm, and then disappear from sight until they are "found" on a hospital gurney, unmarked and bereft of blood/skin traces.

Just     does    not    happen   !

And along those lines:  When Sen. Arlen Specter -- who co-authored the "magic bullet" theory -- was berating Anita Hill in the Congressional hearings over the nomination of Clarence Thomas for a seat on the Supreme Court, he asked her if she expected him to believe that a woman who was on a committee investigating the same kinds of harrassment that she was now accusing Thomas of would wait all those many years to step forward, I desperately wanted her to say, "Senator, I can't believe that you, of all people, would have trouble believing that it took me all those years.  You, after all, having come up with the "magic bullet" theory, which is far less believable than anything I've said, thus far."
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 09:41:33 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2007, 09:41:46 AM »

My DH and I had dinner at a nearby Italian place. When we went to pay our bill, we were informed that it had already been paid by someone who was sitting a few tables away from us. He didn't even want them to tell us who paid for it.

edi, how nice.  i would be going crazy wondering who did that ;D

If Gris-Gris loves going to the vet in Marietta  I say it is worth the trip.  Have you had a chance yet to check out the local vet in case of an emergency?  Is there only one, u said vet, not vets?

Thanks for the vibes.  I hope the composer works out well.  he sounds like a nice, and interesting person.

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2007, 09:45:16 AM »

Happy 80th birthday to

Barbara Cook
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2007, 09:47:19 AM »

I think that this might've been posted before, but for fans of "How I Met Your Mother," click HERE!! :D

If you're a fan of the show (or even if you're not) but you don't know or remember what that means, click HERE. <-- CAUTION!!  THIS SECOND LINK CONTAINS SPOILERS!!

thanks 4 the story.  we haven't found the show funny this season and stopped watching-that episode looks good.

;)

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2007, 09:49:42 AM »

Thanks DR SWW for the info last night re: my Food Network question.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2007, 09:50:20 AM »

Happy 80th birthday to

Barbara Cook

Has it been five years since she was in concert here with her "Mostly Sondheim"?

She was totally spectacular for 90 minutes of non-stop singing.  I hope she stays in good voice for years to come.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2007, 09:51:37 AM »

Just popped in to say...Off to work!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2007, 09:52:01 AM »

And Happy Birthday, Barbara Cook! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2007, 09:53:12 AM »

Ron, you hit on one of the problems - which is the propensity of today's filmmakers to drain color from their films or to emphasize yellow and brown.  So, a lot of these kids who do transfers think that's what all films should look like - and, of course, they would be completely wrong, especially in the fifties and sixties when projectors used carbon arcs which created a more bluish light.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2007, 09:53:48 AM »

It's not 100% certain, but it does look like both Mr. Menken and Mr. Schwartz will be in attendance for the fundraiser.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2007, 09:54:48 AM »

DR Jane:  I read with commiseration your description of your hand and how the ice pack seemed to help.

;D  I'm sure u do.  i don't know how you managed to do so much, without doing any damage.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2007, 10:01:34 AM »

I

And along those lines:  When Sen. Arlen Specter -- who co-authored the "magic bullet" theory -- was berating Anita Hill in the Congressional hearings over the nomination of Clarence Thomas for a seat on the Supreme Court, he asked her if she expected him to believe that a woman who was on a committee investigating the same kinds of harrassment that she was now accusing Thomas of would wait all those many years to step forward, I desperately wanted her to say, "Senator, I can't believe that you, of all people, would have trouble believing that it took me all those years.  You, after all, having come up with the "magic bullet" theory, which is far less believable than anything I've said, thus far."

;D

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2007, 10:03:40 AM »

This morning I looked in my living room, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2007, 10:03:43 AM »

Vixmom, hi and thank you.  Years & years ago I hosted a Tupperware party with a mix of men and women.  

Welcome reraOwnebra

Jmk we never had two mail deliveries a day.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up